PDA

View Full Version : Any upsets?

TheTribeHasSpoken
September 1st, 2006, 07:13 AM
Any I-AA's over I-A's, or DII's over I-AA's?

Blue Hen Nation
September 1st, 2006, 07:21 AM

None that I can see.

Umass74
September 1st, 2006, 08:40 AM
Watched Hofstra-Stony Brook on FSNY. Also saw Rhode Island-UConn on Dish TV. Stayed up late for NAU-Arizona State.

Except for NAU's valiant effort against Arizona State, it was not a good night for I-AA.

The Rhody-UConn game was particularly depressing. The difference between the two teams was equal to the difference between UConn's $88 Million stadium and Meade stadium.

The Rams were not competative in any phase of the game. It was 31-7 at the half. UConn ran between the tackles all second half for over 400 yards rushing. Joe Casey, the A10 Rookie-of-the-year rushed seven times for 25 yards...

I know when a option team gets behind and then tries to pass, it's the worst situation for them. However, UConn looked much bigger, faster and more talented. If UConn passed, the score could have been much, much worse.

I was hoping for the Rams to show better.: smh :

kats89
September 1st, 2006, 08:50 AM
NAU played a hell of a ballgame last night. It was was on one of the Fox Sports Channels.

elkmcc
September 1st, 2006, 09:13 AM
NAU's Murrietta was sacked nine times and still completed 15 of 20 passes for 259 yards and two long scores, keeping the Lumberjacks tied through three quarters. Great coaching job by former Griz DC Jerome Souers.

NAU might be more competition this fall than most of us thought. From the highlights I saw Murrietta looked a lot like he did as a frosh when he had Clarence Moore catching balls for him.

blackfordpu
September 1st, 2006, 09:18 AM
NAU played a hell of a ballgame last night. It was was on one of the Fox Sports Channels.

That was a moral victory for I-AA! Good job NAU!:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 1st, 2006, 09:24 AM
Watched Hofstra-Stony Brook on FSNY. Also saw Rhode Island-UConn on Dish TV. Stayed up late for NAU-Arizona State.

Except for NAU's valiant effort against Arizona State, it was not a good night for I-AA.

The Rhody-UConn game was particularly depressing. The difference between the two teams was equal to the difference between UConn's $88 Million stadium and Meade stadium.

The Rams were not competative in any phase of the game. It was 31-7 at the half. UConn ran between the tackles all second half for over 400 yards rushing. Joe Casey, the A10 Rookie-of-the-year rushed seven times for 25 yards...

I know when a option team gets behind and then tries to pass, it's the worst situation for them. However, UConn looked much bigger, faster and more talented. If UConn passed, the score could have been much, much worse.

I was hoping for the Rams to show better.: smh :

After surprising UConn with the onside key to open the game, the Rams shot themselves in the foot with a penalty and bad execution (QB bumping into the potential receiver of a handoff). That resulted in a missed 51 yard FG. Then after UConn went up 10-0, Rhody froze the UConn defense with play action and threw a perfect pass to a wide open receiver for an apparent sure TD. Alas, he dropped the pass and Rhody was pretty much cooked after that.

Of course the press is describing the game as an example of how far the UConn football program has come. I'd still like to see them take on a top A-10 team or a top national I-AA program! But UConn schedules wisely so we know that won't happen. Although isn't Maine playing the Huskies soon? Please Bears, bring the same effort you brought to Miss. State and Nebraska!!

Unfortunately, the URI strength of running matched up against the UConn strength of run defense. Still, URI had their moments, but when you don't take advantage of your opportunities against a I-A........... :twocents:

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 1st, 2006, 09:49 AM
That was a hell of a showing by NAU. Much better than I expected! Tied heading into the 4th quarter with a top 25 is better than most schools, I-A or I-AA could do. The article on ESPN, while of course quoting and showcasing mostly the ASU players and coaches, did do a good job of explaining how NAU used a different defensive scheme than they were used to seeing. Also, the goaline stands speak for themselves - I thought I-A weighed like 200 pounds more per person on the line? :rolleyes:

Anyway, most of the matches last night, and even this weekend, are complete mismatches. I have to say I thought Temple vs. Buffalo was cute :D 9-3 in 2OT... Wow... football doesn't get much worse than that. I'll take any Div III game over that crap on the field.

The true tests will be App St at NCST and Richmond at Duke. These are fair matchups with a lot of potential to "humiliate" the I-A world. Other upsets are possible, but highly unlikely. I think the Griz will give a good showing, but they will be playing in a whole other league in Iowa.

Best wishes to everyone in their schedule openers this weekend!

LBPop
September 1st, 2006, 10:42 AM

I have already gone on record as believing that your beloved Tribe has more than a slim chance to pull it off. Of course, if I was betting (and if there was a published line) I would want the points. But if there were really long odds even up, I might throw a few dollars on the upset.

I don't know about W&M, but here's my take on Maryland:

What Maryland does well:

Runs the ball with a very big Offensive line
Has fast receivers
Has at least one large "immovable" D linemanWhat Maryland does not do well:

Play well in their first game (see Northern Illinois)
Throw the ball accurately
Kick the ball accurately
Defend the pass closely
Take lower rated opponents seriouslyOn a wet track, the Terps may run 80% plus and that may be how they control the game. But if they try to throw, W&M will pick off at least two balls and that could keep it close.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 1st, 2006, 11:41 AM
I have already gone on record as believing that your beloved Tribe has more than a slim chance to pull it off. Of course, if I was betting (and if there was a published line) I would want the points. But if there were really long odds even up, I might throw a few dollars on the upset.

I don't know about W&M, but here's my take on Maryland:

What Maryland does well:

Runs the ball with a very big Offensive line
Has fast receivers
Has at least one large "immovable" D linemanWhat Maryland does not do well:

Play well in their first game (see Northern Illinois)
Throw the ball accurately
Kick the ball accurately
Defend the pass closely
Take lower rated opponents seriouslyOn a wet track, the Terps may run 80% plus and that may be how they control the game. But if they try to throw, W&M will pick off at least two balls and that could keep it close.

Sounds a lot like a JMU v. W&M game... :eyebrow: ...aside from passing accuracy that is.

Tribefan
September 1st, 2006, 01:39 PM
The UConn URI game was nothing short of a good old fashioned ass whoopin. URI really has some work to do on the defensive side.

I'm really not surprised NAU did so well against ASU. ASU had the 114th ranked defense in I-A last season. And NAU is pretty good side as well. This is the team that let Rutgers basically score 40 points on them during the Insight Bowl last season.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 1st, 2006, 02:57 PM
The UConn URI game was nothing short of a good old fashioned ass whoopin. URI really has some work to do on the defensive side.

Was that the same URI team that took you guys down early last season :D

...Then again, JMU lost at Coastal:bang:

Just wait till they come to Bridgeforth Stadium next year... :nod: