PDA

View Full Version : SE Louisiana NCAA violations

slycat
March 29th, 2013, 10:18 AM
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/9110291/southeastern-louisiana-finds-137-ineligible-athletes-competed

An internal investigation at Southeastern Louisiana has revealed that 137 ineligible athletes competed for the Lions in unspecified sports between 2005 and 2010.

In a statement released Thursday, Southeastern, which is located in Hammond, La., said most violations occurred between 2005 and 2007 and involved instances in which the university failed to comply with NCAA academic requirements by mistakenly certifying athletes as eligible.

superman7515
March 29th, 2013, 10:38 AM
137 is a bit above average.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 29th, 2013, 10:45 AM
"In many instances, student-athletes would have been eligible had proper procedure been followed, such as timely declaration or change of a major," Southeastern athletic director Bart Bellairs said.

The report stressed there was no evidence Southeastern recruited athletes who weren't in good academic standing, noting that 86 percent of the athletes in question graduated.

The university says it will impose penalties such as reducing scholarships, vacating victories and imposing a two-year probationary period on itself while awaiting the NCAA's review of the case. However, it remained unclear which specific sports would be affected.

So thanks to compliance error, SeLa will get the Hammer of Thor brought down upon them. Meanwhile, Kentucky and Miami (FL) will go on as if nothing ever happened. xsmhx

kdinva
March 29th, 2013, 11:47 AM
......Meanwhile, Kentucky and Miami (FL) will go on as if nothing ever happened. xsmhx

ain't that the truth........xblehx xoopsx xslapfightx

DFW HOYA
March 29th, 2013, 08:40 PM
So thanks to compliance error, SeLa will get the Hammer of Thor brought down upon them. Meanwhile, Kentucky and Miami (FL) will go on as if nothing ever happened. xsmhx

It was Jerry Tarkanian who famously said "the NCAA is so mad at Kentucky, it will probably slap another two years' probation on Cleveland State." But the NCAA takes a dim view at schools who merely plead ignorance. This wasn't one or two or ten athletes. At some point, it shows willful neglect.

At least in Kentucky's case, they know what they are doing.

Hood
April 18th, 2013, 07:35 PM
Man SELU always has to try and out do Nicholls, even in ineligible athletes. (nervously biting finger nails until the next Riverbell Classic hoping I don't eat crow)

bojeta
April 18th, 2013, 07:39 PM
What sickens me more than the violations themselves, is the fact that over 100 deserving kids were not allowed to attend this college in order to make room for individuals that shouldn't be there.

lionsrking2
April 19th, 2013, 12:07 AM
What sickens me more than the violations themselves, is the fact that over 100 deserving kids were not allowed to attend this college in order to make room for individuals that shouldn't be there.

If you had your facts straight, you would know that 90% of them did in fact deserve to be there, and either eventually received their degree or left in good standing. The problems were not with the kids, they were with adults who didn't do their job properly. One kid who was technically "ineligible" graduated in four years with a 4.0 in Accounting, already has a master's from LSU and now works for a major accounting firm ... that person is 23 or 24 years old. That's not to say some didn't slip through the cracks, but an overwhelming majority would have and should have been eligible had proper record keeping and procedures been followed.

bojeta
April 19th, 2013, 12:13 AM
If you had your facts straight, you would know that 90% of them did in fact deserve to be there, and either eventually received their degree or left in good standing. The problems were not with the kids, they were with adults who didn't do their job properly. One kid who was technically "ineligible" graduated in four years with a 4.0 in Accounting, already has a master's from LSU and now works for a major accounting firm ... that person is 23 or 24 years old. That's not to say some didn't slip through the cracks, but an overwhelming majority would have and should have been eligible had proper record keeping and procedures been followed.

Whoa! Two things: 1. You make this statement without offering so much as a source for your "facts". 2. You choose to attack my post, which was merely a comment regarding the original post in the thread. I made NO claims to having any information on the topic; only that it sickens me when deserving individuals lose out. So.... please get your own facts straight, and focus your attacks appropriately. Thank you!

lionsrking2
April 19th, 2013, 12:45 AM
Whoa! Two things: 1. You make this statement without offering so much as a source for your "facts". 2. You choose to attack my post, which was merely a comment regarding the original post in the thread. I made NO claims to having any information on the topic; only that it sickens me when deserving individuals lose out. So.... please get your own facts straight, and focus your attacks appropriately. Thank you!

My facts are straight.

Nickels
April 19th, 2013, 01:42 AM
I've come to find out SELA fans are as sensitive as Lamar fans.

137 is absurd btw.

CFBfan
April 19th, 2013, 08:03 AM
My facts are straight.

You need to site more than ONE (less than 1%) of the "in question" students NOT just the best example!! And BTW: It is clearly on the institution NOT the kids