PDA

View Full Version : 13's Colgate/UMass preview

colgate13
August 31st, 2006, 10:49 PM
Burning the midnight oil, but I've got something up.

Link (http://colgate13.blogspot.com)

umassfan
September 1st, 2006, 02:13 AM
Burning the midnight oil, but I've got something up.

Link (http://colgate13.blogspot.com)

Nice try but if you read the game notes from UMass you would have done alot better with your assesment of the minutemen. You totally forgot Rasheed Rancher as our third WR and one of Coens top targets. Also you did not notice or mention that the person taking over at FS for James split alot of time last year at SS with Idhegibo and also played in many different packages when we went nickle and dime. The CB taking over for Costello, Sean Smalls, coach Brown mentioned as being one of the most talented players he ever coached. On the bench, Brandon Freeman, who Brown thinks could be one of the top cover corners in the A10. Ill take Brandon Freeman vs your 3rd or 4th WR any day of the week. Also for depth we have Courtney Robinson who transfered from UConn and played all games for them as a true freshman.

It should be a good game. Cant wait to see the first game on our new field turf. I plan on seeing alot of Baylark, Lawrance, Nelson and Washington running all over your new front 4 on the DLine.

cosmo here
September 1st, 2006, 07:46 AM
maybe you didn't read this. you might have missed it. it was at the top of the article.

Folks, this piece is going to be short and lacking in the quality that I like to see myself produce on this blog; but, life gets in the way. As some of you may know, the next few weeks are going to be hectic for me on a personal and professional level, so this 'scouting report' will be largely from the hip, unreferenced and largely unresearched. I'm really relying on memory with this one more than I like. But please, bear with me for September. I promise it will get better.

I've read nothing but you ripping people since I joined here last year.

and if you have one of the best cover corners in the A10, why is he on the bench?

Pard4Life
September 1st, 2006, 10:48 AM
I sense some unecesary hostility here...

..go 'gate..

colgate13
September 1st, 2006, 11:16 AM
i'm not surprised to see umassfan crawl out from under a rock to post something like that.

Hey, we'll see. There's still some new faces and unproven talent that needs to produce. Apparently your unknowns are all-world quality just waiting to play, while Colgate's new faces on defense will be run over like school girls.

Am I a silly homer? Maybe. But Colgate's got a fair chance to win this thing. :twocents:

carney2
September 1st, 2006, 11:23 AM
Hey, 13, whadya think? Is the rain the great equalizer or is it the final straw that forces UMass to aim all of their weapons at that front seven? Always pullin' for the PL in an OOC, so here's hoping it's the former.

89Hen
September 1st, 2006, 11:29 AM
Nice try but if you read the game notes from UMass you would have done alot better with your assesment of the minutemen. You totally forgot Rasheed Rancher as our third WR and one of Coens top targets. Also you did not notice or mention that the person taking over at FS for James split alot of time last year at SS with Idhegibo and also played in many different packages when we went nickle and dime. The CB taking over for Costello, Sean Smalls, coach Brown mentioned as being one of the most talented players he ever coached. On the bench, Brandon Freeman, who Brown thinks could be one of the top cover corners in the A10. Ill take Brandon Freeman vs your 3rd or 4th WR any day of the week. Also for depth we have Courtney Robinson who transfered from UConn and played all games for them as a true freshman.

It should be a good game. Cant wait to see the first game on our new field turf. I plan on seeing alot of Baylark, Lawrance, Nelson and Washington running all over your new front 4 on the DLine.

:rolleyes: : smh : :nonono2: :nono: :nonono2:

EVERYONE, PLEASE STOP SAYING ANYTHING OTHER THAN UMASS IS THE GREATEST TEAM WITH THE GREATEST PLAYERS WITH THE GREATEST COACHES IN THE HISTORY OF I-AA FOOTBALL. Otherwise he'll keep coming back.

LacesOut
September 1st, 2006, 11:33 AM
Let's go UMass!!! I love you guys!! U R TEH GREATEST EVAH!

umassfan
September 1st, 2006, 02:36 PM
maybe you didn't read this. you might have missed it. it was at the top of the article.

Folks, this piece is going to be short and lacking in the quality that I like to see myself produce on this blog; but, life gets in the way. As some of you may know, the next few weeks are going to be hectic for me on a personal and professional level, so this 'scouting report' will be largely from the hip, unreferenced and largely unresearched. I'm really relying on memory with this one more than I like. But please, bear with me for September. I promise it will get better.

and if you have one of the best cover corners in the A10, why is he on the bench?

No what im trying to say is that if you are putting your two cents out there in the format you did... you should at least do the research so you know what you are talking about. Out of our new starters this season, only 3 did not see alot of action for us.

TE Brad Listorti (Rutgers trasfer)
OL Nick Diana (Nassau C.C)
DL Brandon Collier (redshirt freshman)

The players taking over starting spots this year:

LB Charles Walker (took over for Serge Tikum at MLB. Started for UMass in 2004. Sat out most of last year recovering from knee injury. Recorded 23 tackles in a game vs Delaware in 2004)

CB Sean Smalls (took over for Steve Costello. One of 3 true freshman to play for the minutemen last season. Will be UMass's next great DB)

FS Brandon Smith (took over for Shannon James. Last season had 35 tackles, 1 sack, 3 tfl, 3 ints and 5 pbu in split time in our secondary.)

DT Jason Leonard (took over as DT when John Hatchell moved to DE. Started 6 games in 04 and played in all 11 last season.)

and that bench cover corner i talked about had this for a stat line last season: 40 TT 2 TFL 1 INT 4 PBU.

Not that bad for someone sitting the bench!

cosmo here
September 1st, 2006, 03:41 PM
No what im trying to say is that if you are putting your two cents out there in the format you did... you should at least do the research so you know what you are talking about.

I think 13 addressed that in his first paragraph.

If you want to provide additional information on UMass, that's fine . . but was it really necessary to say "nice try" and then point out everything he missed, when he acknowledged he missed things since his personal and professional life didn't allow the kind of time that he normally puts into his analysis? I say no.

I clicked the link on your umassfan.com thing and nothing came up. if you want to be that critical of 13's coverage of UMass, where's your coverage of Colgate?

umassfan
September 1st, 2006, 04:11 PM
I think 13 addressed that in his first paragraph.

If you want to provide additional information on UMass, that's fine . . but was it really necessary to say "nice try" and then point out everything he missed, when he acknowledged he missed things since his personal and professional life didn't allow the kind of time that he normally puts into his analysis? I say no.

I clicked the link on your umassfan.com thing and nothing came up. if you want to be that critical of 13's coverage of UMass, where's your coverage of Colgate?
If I did coverage about the game and the matchup I wouldnt mind at all people picking apart my stuff. As for the site... I dont have the time needed to do what I wanted to do. Therefore I ended it. Besides UMass74 does a great job with his blog(as does colgate13) so I just give him info as I hear it. I understand not having much time to do something but reading the pregame notes is easy enough to gain knowledge about what you need to write.

Sam Adams
September 1st, 2006, 04:18 PM
Funny thread. Basically Colgate fan gives an unsupported and unresearched preview of UMass. Umass Fan calls him on it. Colgate fan responds defensively essntially admitting that it was an uninformed preview. Next Hen Fan jumps in like the 3rd man in a hockey fight just to attack UMass Fan with a bunch of phony argumentative BS. Then everybody sort of acts all defensive except UMass fan who actually posts some factual material in support of his position rather than just more opinionated blather.

Colgate Fan isn't up to speed on UMass, thats okay but don't be surprised when someone bothers to educate you at little bit. I freely admit I have no idea what Colgate is going to do, but I'm guessing we'll see two very well coached teams with UMass having the edge due to homefield advantage and the UMass OL looks to be very good. Sorry for not flaming anybody else with this prediction, but its Labor Day Weekend and I just feel like relaxing and having some fun.

Looking forward to seeing how that new UMass FieldTurf stands up to what promises to be monsoon conditions tomorrow.

cosmo here
September 1st, 2006, 04:21 PM
well, Colgate13 actually admitted it was a less than informed preview before he wrote it . . other than that, you're pretty much right on.

Go...gate
September 1st, 2006, 04:33 PM
Is this game on the Comcast Network (CN8)?

saint0917
September 1st, 2006, 05:55 PM
..go 'gate..

HEY :nono: ;)

blur2005
September 1st, 2006, 06:04 PM
Basically, you're discovering the well-known fact that umassfan is unable to say anything positive about any team other than the Minutemen. This is why he is constantly bitching at Delaware fans anytime they make a positive comment about their team and now he's targeting Colgate. Get used to it.

umassfan
September 1st, 2006, 06:22 PM
Basically, you're discovering the well-known fact that umassfan is unable to say anything positive about any team other than the Minutemen. This is why he is constantly bitching at Delaware fans anytime they make a positive comment about their team and now he's targeting Colgate. Get used to it.
Can you not read? Please tell me in your old age that you learned how to read... Please show me where I ripped Colgate the team? I pointed out that Colgate13 put little research into his piece. I pointed out what he was missing. I talked about UMass. I did not pick apart Colgate. You should look at Sam Adams's post... He at least knows how to read.

cosmo here
September 1st, 2006, 06:41 PM
Can you not read? Please tell me in your old age that you learned how to read... Please show me where I ripped Colgate the team? I pointed out that Colgate13 put little research into his piece. I pointed out what he was missing. I talked about UMass. I did not pick apart Colgate. You should look at Sam Adams's post... He at least knows how to read.

You didn't rip Colgate. You ripped Colgate13, and it was unnecessary.

again, you could have respectfully pointed out information on UMass going into the Colgate game. or you could have said "nice try, but . . " and completely dismissed his efforts to break down the game. you chose the latter. in reading your work over the last year, I would say that's completely within your character.

blukeys
September 1st, 2006, 07:12 PM
No what im trying to say is that if you are putting your two cents out there in the format you did... you should at least do the research so you know what you are talking about. Out of our new starters this season, only 3 did not see alot of action for us.

TE Brad Listorti (Rutgers trasfer)
OL Nick Diana (Nassau C.C)
DL Brandon Collier (redshirt freshman)

The players taking over starting spots this year:

LB Charles Walker (took over for Serge Tikum at MLB. Started for UMass in 2004. Sat out most of last year recovering from knee injury. Recorded 23 tackles in a game vs Delaware in 2004)

CB Sean Smalls (took over for Steve Costello. One of 3 true freshman to play for the minutemen last season. Will be UMass's next great DB)

FS Brandon Smith (took over for Shannon James. Last season had 35 tackles, 1 sack, 3 tfl, 3 ints and 5 pbu in split time in our secondary.)

DT Jason Leonard (took over as DT when John Hatchell moved to DE. Started 6 games in 04 and played in all 11 last season.)

and that bench cover corner i talked about had this for a stat line last season: 40 TT 2 TFL 1 INT 4 PBU.

Not that bad for someone sitting the bench!

Colgate13 is a BAD, BAD person.;) ;) ;) There is no excuse for him posting anything other than a totally researched opinion of this game despite the fact that he qualified his comments by saying he had many other things in his life that prevented him from gathering additional facts. BAD BOY 13, How dare you try getting a real life!!!!!!!::rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

However, A thoughtful post to 13's article would have been an inclusion of additional information that would have given all of us useful facts about the UMASS program and its strengths.

Instead Umassfan you have attacked someone who stated on his blog that only a superior effort by his team had a chance of beating UMASS. DID YOU ACTUALLY READ WHAT 13 SAID?????????????

If you did your Reading Comprehension does not exceed the 6th GRADE LEVEL. 13's BLOG says that a Colgate victory is possible but not probable.

PUHLEEEZE!!!!!!! post your own retort to 13 on how UMass will blow out Colgate. Do your own expert analysis since 13 appears to have a full plate in other areas. Everyone on this board is hungry for information from informed observers of their own team and I see this as a good thing. You obviously know more about UMASS than the rest of us. Post your own opinion instead of nitpicking 13's. This would be a POSITIVE contribution to this board. Something you have yet to do in 3 years.

My hope is UMass wins this game. UMass has some very good posters who are objective and honest (Saint and Umass74). I have had good experiences in Amherst. I will not let one poster color my perception of a very fine program.

umassfan
September 1st, 2006, 07:48 PM
Colgate13 is a BAD, BAD person.;) ;) ;) There is no excuse for him posting anything other than a totally researched opinion of this game despite the fact that he qualified his comments by saying he had many other things in his life that prevented him from gathering additional facts. BAD BOY 13, How dare you try getting a real life!!!!!!!::rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

However, A thoughtful post to 13's article would have been an inclusion of additional information that would have given all of us useful facts about the UMASS program and its strengths.

Instead Umassfan you have attacked someone who stated on his blog that only a superior effort by his team had a chance of beating UMASS. DID YOU ACTUALLY READ WHAT 13 SAID?????????????

If you did your Reading Comprehension does not exceed the 6th GRADE LEVEL. 13's BLOG says that a Colgate victory is possible but not probable.

PUHLEEEZE!!!!!!! post your own retort to 13 on how UMass will blow out Colgate. Do your own expert analysis since 13 appears to have a full plate in other areas. Everyone on this board is hungry for information from informed observers of their own team and I see this as a good thing. You obviously know more about UMASS than the rest of us. Post your own opinion instead of nitpicking 13's. This would be a POSITIVE contribution to this board. Something you have yet to do in 3 years.

My hope is UMass wins this game. UMass has some very good posters who are objective and honest (Saint and Umass74). I have had good experiences in Amherst. I will not let one poster color my perception of a very fine program.
If someone wants to post content like his in the way of a blog like he does, he should at least do his homework. I could give a rats butt what his disclamer is. His disclamer only gives him reason not to do a good job. Should I post a disclamer on my signature saying Im a UMass grad and i could give a rats butt about any other team besides mine? Would that make everything I post ok because I gave that disclamer? Maybe I should try that.

blukeys
September 1st, 2006, 07:50 PM

Some of us were born before 2004. You're rationalizations of Umass's loss to Colgate in 2003 are the stuff of legend and well documented. I don't know if Sam Adams was here in 2003 but I was and your inability to let go of the loss to Colgate is evidence of a total Colgate obsession.

Can you show me anywhere in 13's website post that he ACTUALLY PREDICTS A COLGATE WIN????????

I keep looking for it and can't find it. Please give us a Quote or something objectionable that you think is out of line.

My read of the post is that Colgate has a chance to win the game. Well considering recent history this is certainly not the revelation of the ages!!!!!!!:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

I think UMASS has a chance of beating Navy this year as well. Anyone want to call me out on this????????????xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

As for your calling out Colgate13, He totally qualified his post by saying he had a busy time in his life. Once someone gives us this information, I expect some understanding from the AGS community.

Neither Colgate 13 nor Umass74 are getting paid for their websites. Both are offering their observations, information, and points of view with no financial compensation. We are all free to accept or ignore their offerings with no questions asked. If we think they are full of crap then we can say so. It seems this is not good enough for you. Let's see your own analysis of this weekend's game. Instead of ripping someone else why not produce a superior product???????????

umassfan
September 1st, 2006, 07:54 PM
If we think they are full of crap then we can say so. It seems this is not good enough for you.

Isnt that what I did with my post?

Fordham
September 1st, 2006, 08:08 PM
If someone wants to post content like his in the way of a blog like he does, he should at least do his homework. I could give a rats butt what his disclamer is. His disclamer only gives him reason not to do a good job. Should I post a disclamer on my signature saying Im a UMass grad and i could give a rats butt about any other team besides mine? Would that make everything I post ok because I gave that disclamer? Maybe I should try that.

Yikes ... this isn't about the valuable info you provided on UMASS to supplement what gate13 admitted was a 'mail it in' effort this week ... it was the fact that after he was open about it being a off the top of his head type of thing you chose to rail on him about it. It's like someone sharing a fault of theirs with you and then slamming them for it ... just utterly classless. Take away the slams and your info could have been a great supplement to what gate13 put out there. The way you chose to do it, though, all you did was come off like a douchebag.

cosmo here
September 1st, 2006, 08:12 PM

Your arguments are so full of logical fallacies that I don't know where to begin. The only explanation I can come up with is that somewhere along the line, maybe during the 2003 playoffs, maybe last year . . you perceived that Colgate13 wronged you, and now you're exacting revenge. It seems like you're only succeeding in turning everybody against you . . why do you feel it's necessary to hold him to such a high standard? He writes a Colgate fan blog, not a UMass one like you used to.

colgate13
September 1st, 2006, 08:18 PM
What I think is actually quite funny is the nitpicking is about not mentioning a third reciever who had 3 TDs and 425 yards last season, and that some new defensive back starters saw some action last year. BIG WHOOP!

It's just one Colgate fan's blog. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less. If that's all you've got to complain about, well, I think my shooting from the hip was just fine. I'm 'up to speed' on UMass. I'm just not their beat reporter. Sue me. Or better yet, don't read! :)

Thanks for the defense guys, but I've got more of a teflon coating than umassfan thinks. No biggie.

blukeys
September 1st, 2006, 08:27 PM
Should I post a disclamer on my signature saying Im a UMass grad and i could give a rats butt about any other team besides mine? Would that make everything I post ok because I gave that disclamer? Maybe I should try that.

Not Necessary. Everyone on this board has already figured this out !!!!:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) :smiley_wi :smiley_wi :smiley_wi :smiley_wi :smiley_wi :smiley_wi :smiley_wi :smiley_wi

umassfan
September 1st, 2006, 08:48 PM
What I think is actually quite funny is the nitpicking is about not mentioning a third reciever who had 3 TDs and 425 yards last season, and that some new defensive back starters saw some action last year. BIG WHOOP!

It's just one Colgate fan's blog. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less. If that's all you've got to complain about, well, I think my shooting from the hip was just fine. I'm 'up to speed' on UMass. I'm just not their beat reporter. Sue me. Or better yet, don't read! :)

Thanks for the defense guys, but I've got more of a teflon coating than umassfan thinks. No biggie.
All im saying is if you are going to do the job... do the job right. Otherwise I dont care what kind of disclamer you right... it will look bad. If you took my name off of anything I said and took your name off what you wrote and asked people what they thought, peoples opinions would change.

Heck Coen only threw 10 tds last season so the fact that our 3rd WR had 1/3 of them sounds pretty good to me. The fact that Rancher had 1 yard less and 3 catchs more then your number 2 WR, would make him pretty important in a team preview I might add. Just a thought... that kind of info you could have found out easy by reading the game notes even Colgate put out.

cosmo here
September 1st, 2006, 08:58 PM
If you took my name off of anything I said and took your name off what you wrote and asked people what they thought, peoples opinions would change.

for what it's worth, you've spent 4,000 posts building your resume, and 13 has spent more than 7,000, so I think your fellow posters have had ample opportunity to develop their opinions.

Maroon&White
September 1st, 2006, 09:06 PM
This is why he is constantly bitching at Delaware fans anytime they make a positive comment about their team and now he's targeting Colgate.

Sounds a lot like what people get on umassfan for doing. He makes a positive comment and Delaware fans bitch at him for doing it.

blukeys
September 1st, 2006, 09:14 PM
Sounds a lot like what people get on umassfan for doing. He makes a positive comment and Delaware fans bitch at him for doing it.
Puhhleaase!!!!Show me one Positive post from Umassfan about anything other than Umass. In the 3 years he has been posting here he has shown zero capability of posting anything positive at all except for UMASS.

M&W You really need to do your homework. By they way just what is the "positive comment" from Umassfan you saw in this thread??????

Sam Adams
September 1st, 2006, 09:15 PM
If you post innacurate information about teams other than your own team you should pretty much expect to get called out. What is truly bizarre is that a bluehen fan would wander into this thread and start throwing gasoline on the fire without ever once questioning the validity of the facts set forth by the umassfan. The fact that Colgate 13 admitted up front that he was basically clueless about UMass is hardly a justification for being grossly innacurate.

How about we all agree that 13 was wrong and that umassfan was right in terms of the facts?

Can't wait for some actual smashmouth football!

Maroon&White
September 1st, 2006, 09:16 PM
Can you show me anywhere in 13's website post that he ACTUALLY PREDICTS A COLGATE WIN????????

I keep looking for it and can't find it. Please give us a Quote or something objectionable that you think is out of line.

You're way too caught up in thinking this has anything to do with who wins the game. I keep looking for where umass fan complained about a predicted outcome or even mentioned it....and I can't find it. Please give a quote or something objectionable where umassfan even discussed the outcome.

He pointed out the faults in the blog post. Giving a half ass disclaimer of why the "preview" isn't correct seems like a lazy way out of doing some research. If the colgate person thinks that's good enough fine, that's him. Some people have higher standards. Why bother writing a preview if it's going to be incorrect.

Every week there are people bitching on here about inaccurate articles about I-AA. I guess if the author put a disclaimer in that they don't care if the article is accurate there would be no issue.

Sam Adams
September 1st, 2006, 09:21 PM
bluekeys is there some particular reason you are so interested in the colgate umass game and/or the details regarding who said what in this thread? Doesn't the thread pretty much speak for itself? 13 posted some innacurate info about umass and got called on it. Not a big deal, lets move one. :)

umassfan
September 1st, 2006, 09:25 PM
bluekeys is there some particular reason you are so interested in the colgate umass game and/or the details regarding who said what in this thread? Doesn't the thread pretty much speak for itself? 13 posted some innacurate info about umass and got called on it. Not a big deal, lets move one. :)
Lets take about some football im tired of this pissing contest... my main point was to show what Colgate13 missed... now that is over lets talk football...

Its suppose to rain starting in the morning. Now that we have our new fieldturf, will the rain matter any in the game?

cosmo here
September 1st, 2006, 09:25 PM
If you post innacurate information about teams other than your own team you should pretty much expect to get called out.

why do you have to expect to be called out? why can't you simply be corrected? there was no malicious intent involved. this is where the whole thing started. come on, lets show some civility.

bkrownd
September 1st, 2006, 09:50 PM
Hey! Respekt our ah-thor-ah-tay! xazzx :smiley_wi

Game on!

colgate13
September 1st, 2006, 10:57 PM
If you post innacurate information about teams other than your own team you should pretty much expect to get called out. What is truly bizarre is that a bluehen fan would wander into this thread and start throwing gasoline on the fire without ever once questioning the validity of the facts set forth by the umassfan. The fact that Colgate 13 admitted up front that he was basically clueless about UMass is hardly a justification for being grossly innacurate.

How about we all agree that 13 was wrong and that umassfan was right in terms of the facts?

Can't wait for some actual smashmouth football!:flagged:.

Time the *uck out here for a minute! Have people actually read what I wrote or just this thread???? I did not post anything inaccurate nor did I write 'cluelessly'. Let's get all crystal clear:

I wrote a 'preview' of the UMass/Colgate game for readers of my Colgate football blog. A preview of what we should be looking at tomorrow. I did not write a preseason review of the UMass team! Let's do a quick synopsis of my writing.

I did a section on recent history between the teams. Anything to complain about there? It's accurate, and hardly clueless. And I was at each of those games in person.

Then I summarize UMass's offense. I mention Baylark, talk about how he is a good running back. I mention that we'll be facing a better QB in Coen than Day in 2005. I then talk about his two starting WR's, and how we've got a good secondary but if they need to help on the run, we're in trouble. I also give an opinion that we can have some success, but UMass will likely have some success no matter what we do. What is inaccurate or clueless about what I wrote there????? :confused:

I then talk about UMass's defense. I say they're experienced and that they will be looking to shut down Scott. I say that our QB needs to have a good day to keep Scott running. Finally, I talk about how if there is any place we might have some success (and I qualify it as slim to none even!) it is in the secondary because there are some new starters and because we've got a deep receiver corps to call on. I also throw in a bit about the TE being a possible key to victory. Again, what is inaccurate or clueless about what I wrote there???? :rolleyes:

My qualifications about my work were not a license to be inaccurate, but rather that I did not do a deeper analysis such as umassfan wanted me to do by getting down on my knees for your 3rd WR or D backs that Brown made so and so comment about. There is NOTHING to be called out about and nothing 'grossly inaccurate' in my writing.

This is really all too funny. Apparently UMass walks on water (to some) once again this year. I should probably call Biddle at the hotel tomorrow morning before meetings to have him just get the team on the bus and drive home. No sense in playing the game I guess.

Finally, for the record IT'S A BLOG. It's a FUN thing that a I-AA fan does because he enjoys it, even with feedback like this. Oh, and did I mention I don't get paid? :) But when you've got all the balls in the air that I do right now, like a new job and a new baby and more, you frankly don't have the time to keep umassfan happy - mostly because you're wise enough to know that he'll never be happy. xcoffeex

OK, it's official. The I-AA season is underway - I want to see Colgate stuff a sock in UMass. :p

umassfan
September 1st, 2006, 11:50 PM
Coen's main targets will be Brandon London and J.J. Moore. Our secondary should be able to cover them well, but not if they're being asked to provide run support to the young defensive line and new linebackers. If Bean, Williams and company can concentrate on them first, I like our chances in limiting their impact. "Limit" is the key word though; they will get their completions. We need to hold the big plays and 3rd down conversions to a minimum.

To start with this statement... If you read any of Matt D's articles in the offseason one thing you would have noticed is he had us rated as the number 5 recieving trio in I-AA... that included Rancher. Rancher and London are 6'4+ and will provide matchup problems for your much shorter DBs. Your CBs are 6'1 and 5'9. So the height issue will hurt them.

This UMass defense is big and experienced, and they will be looking to slap Jordan Scott around if they can. Now, I don't think they can after hearing about Scott putting on 15 lbs. of muscle in the off season - but they will do everything in their power to hit Scott hard and often. Basically, he can't do it by himself.

Last time you have a big bad running back who came into amherst he left with 62 yards on 23 carries. I think our LBers(strongest poss on our team) will be up to the task for the 15 lb of muscle hulk Scott.

On bright spot for the Raiders is that the area we need to be successful in (passing), in some ways plays into a weak spot (if you can really call it that) for UMass. There is a new corner and free safety to try and exploit with the physical tools and skills of our second, third and fourth recievers. Erik Burke, David Morgan and David Gongora are all possible of having big games here

Tracy Belton, one of our corners was All A10 just one year ago. James Ihedigbo was all A10 last year and lead the A10 in sacks for most of the season. We do have two new faces but one played alot last season as a true freshman and the other split time with Ihedigbo. You talk about the 3rd 4th and 5th WRs having big games when you know nothing about our DBs. You find it important to mention your 3rd 4th and 5th WR but didnt think it was important to mention our 3rd WR who had better stats then all but one of yours from last season.

Also, finding ways to get our 6'5" tight end, Brent Dillingham into some possession situations against their linebackers or strong safety will be key. Dillingham will have 4-5 inches on everyone else out there for UMass defending the pass. Timely 10 yard completions to him could be the difference in the game here.

TEs usually are big... What TE usually doesnt have that height advantage? Hell our TE has the same height advantage on your safeties and LBers.

Also something big about Colgate that you fail to mention is the fact you lost 6 of your front 7 from last year. Everyone knows Brown is a smash mouth type of coach and loves to run the ball. That will have a huge impact in the game if your new players do not step up.

blukeys
September 1st, 2006, 11:58 PM

What did Colgate13 Post that was inaccurate????? He posted in his blog who were the 2 best Umass wideouts. He stated these guys had to be covered. He did not mention the 3rd wideout and Umassfan had a fit over this. I actually read the blog and thought it was very respectful to Umass. (13 states that Colgate will have to play an excellent game to win. I happen to agree I believe Umass is the favorite and I have stated before I am pulling for my A-10 compatriots) Everyone agrees who the 2 best wideouts are for Umass and that they must be covered. There was NO inaccuracy there.

Sam It would help if you actually READ what you are commenting about. I have no dog in this hunt. I only posted on what I saw.

13 said I am really busy right now this is what I see. Due to my current life circumstances I am not able to devote enough time to a detailed analysis of the game. Anyone who ACTUALLY READS THE POST knows that he sees Umass as the favorite with Colgate having a chance if they play a great game. 13 could have just as easily said "I'm too busy to post anything" Would this have made you happier???????

Umass fan called 13 out for not doing a detailed analysis after 13 ALREADY SAID He was not able (due to time constraints within his life aka. work and family) to do a detailed analysis. Well DUH!!!!!!!!!xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

If you or Umassfan want to start your own blog feel free to do so. But don't EVER admit that work or family might get in the way of doing 100% of the necessary research to be 100% perfect which appears to be the standard you are looking for.

I look forward to your upcoming blog which will be 100% perfect in all areas with no mistakes. Since this is the standard you are holding 13 to I expect no less from you. :nod: :nod: :nod:

TheValleyRaider
September 2nd, 2006, 12:06 AM
And now to really stir the pot...

Colgate rallies to upset UMass late. Coen picked off 3 times, twice by Geoff Bean, while Saraceno has a big day through the air finding multiple targets. Baylark and UMass start strong, but come unravelled with the eventual turnovers. Raiders 27 - Minutemen 20 :eek: :eek: :eek: :cool: :p

umassfan
September 2nd, 2006, 12:06 AM
What did Colgate13 Post that was inaccurate????? He posted in his blog who were the 2 best Umass wideouts. He stated these guys had to be covered. He did not mention the 3rd wideout and Umassfan had a fit over this. I actually read the blog and thought it was very respectful to Umass. (13 states that Colgate will have to play an excellent game to win. I happen to agree I believe Umass is the favorite and I have stated before I am pulling for my A-10 compatriots) Everyone agrees who the 2 best wideouts are for Umass and that they must be covered. There was NO inaccuracy there.

Sam It would help if you actually READ what you are commenting about. I have no dog in this hunt. I only posted on what I saw.

13 said I am really busy right now this is what I see. Due to my current life circumstances I am not able to devote enough time to a detailed analysis of the game. Anyone who ACTUALLY READS THE POST knows that he sees Umass as the favorite with Colgate having a chance if they play a great game. 13 could have just as easily said "I'm too busy to post anything" Would this have made you happier???????

Umass fan called 13 out for not doing a detailed analysis after 13 ALREADY SAID He was not able (due to time constraints within his life aka. work and family) to do a detailed analysis. Well DUH!!!!!!!!!xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

If you or Umassfan want to start your own blog feel free to do so. But don't EVER admit that work or family might get in the way of doing 100% of the necessary research to be 100% perfect which appears to be the standard you are looking for.

I look forward to your upcoming blog which will be 100% perfect in all areas with no mistakes. Since this is the standard you are holding 13 to I expect no less from you. :nod: :nod: :nod:

You make it sound like the research needed to write something good would take alot of time and effort. If he wrote this before the game notes came out Id have no issue. He didnt therefore the lack of 5 mins to read game notes and the way he went about writing it is why I had issue. I mentioned the 3rd wr because he mentioned colgates 3rd 4th and 5th wr taking advantage of our DBs but yet didnt think a 6'5 197 lb WR would not take advantage of their 6'0 n less DBs. Two of our top 3 WRs are taller then 6'4.

umassfan
September 2nd, 2006, 12:07 AM
And now to really stir the pot...

Colgate rallies to upset UMass late. Coen picked off 3 times, twice by Geoff Bean, while Saraceno has a big day through the air finding multiple targets. Baylark and UMass start strong, but come unravelled with the eventual turnovers. Raiders 27 - Minutemen 20 :eek: :eek: :eek: :cool: :p
With the rain projected from the hurricane.... I dont think either team will be throwing the ball much. Do your research man!

blukeys
September 2nd, 2006, 12:17 AM
With the rain projected from the hurricane.... I dont think either team will be throwing the ball much. Do your research man!

This "storm" is already downgraded to a tropical depression. It won't even be that in Amherst tomorrow night. Expect some wind and rain but unless you are in the direct path don't expect much else. I think the wind will have more of an effect but right now I am seeing gusts of about 30 mph. Ernesto is much ado about nothing and will not be an advantage for either team tomorrow night in my view.

The new Umass turf gets a good test tomorrow with some rain but in the end it passes with flying colors giving both teams a quality surface!!!:D

umassfan
September 2nd, 2006, 12:20 AM
This "storm" is already downgraded to a tropical depression. It won't even be that in Amherst tomorrow night. Expect some wind and rain but unless you are in the direct path don't expect much else. I think the wind will have more of an effect but right now I am seeing gusts of about 30 mph. Ernesto is much ado about nothing and will not be an advantage for either team tomorrow night in my view.

The new Umass turf gets a good test tomorrow with some rain but in the end it passes with flying colors giving both teams a quality surface!!!:D
Im not saying it will be a hurricane when the wind and rain hits mass, just saying the storm will be there tomorrow morning. It is suppose to start raining around 9 or 10 am in the Amherst area. I guess it rained pretty good the other day in Amherst before a pratice and Coach Brown said the field turf looked great. Cant wait.... less then 12 hours till gametime.

blukeys
September 2nd, 2006, 12:36 AM
Im not saying it will be a hurricane when the wind and rain hits mass, just saying the storm will be there tomorrow morning. It is suppose to start raining around 9 or 10 am in the Amherst area. I guess it rained pretty good the other day in Amherst before a pratice and Coach Brown said the field turf looked great. Cant wait.... less then 12 hours till gametime.

I thought it was a night game. My BAD. I really don't see weather as being a factor. There could be some wind and rain but nothing a New Enlander can't deal with. The temperatures should be no lower than the 60's with some wind and rain but hardly a deluge or a hurricane.

It will be by no means perfect football weather but not a total washout either. My advice to the Amherst fans woud be to bring a hat and jacket and be prepared to remove it later!!!!!

blukeys
September 2nd, 2006, 12:51 AM
You make it sound like the research needed to write something good would take alot of time and effort.

I will forgive you on this Umassfan as obviously you have NEVER been married. Until you have been in this hallowed status you have no clue what you are up against. Once you are married and have kids we can continue this discussion but when one man says to me that I have "other obligations" I know what he is talking about!!!!:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

I do not relish arguing with you or anyone else on this board. But, if given the choice of arguing with you or the Mother of my children, I will pick you every time and I don't have to think twice about that choice.

Time is a commodity that is not in endless supply. Wives have known this since time immemorial that is why they demand it of their significant others. If they don't get the amount they deem necessary THEY DO MAKE YOU PAY!!!!!!!!!!! You are a young man I hope you are getting this lesson.

IF 13 is not blogging to your satisfaction TOOO BAD. He has "other obligations" for which he will NEVER change unless you choose to get a vagina better than the one he already has. (not likely in my view)

I hope this makes my position clear and my defense of 13. I am pulling for the Minutemen on Saturday best of Luck!!!! Go A-10!!!!

TheValleyRaider
September 2nd, 2006, 06:08 AM

Hey, truthfully, we have no idea what's going to happen. Colgate certainly has their fair share of question marks, so we'll see how that pans out. We can't even agree on the weather, it sounds like :p . Even at its worst today though, it won't be anything the two of us haven't dealt with before :thumbsup:

:beerchug: :beerchug:
Here's to a good game and I AM READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL!

LBPop
September 2nd, 2006, 08:29 AM
Just slightly off topic, but I'm looking for some information. I can't seem to get onto the UMass football page and I want to know the status of Chris Hopkins. He was converted from interior line to tight end as a freshman. Is he starting, how does he look? Thanks.

Sam Adams
September 2nd, 2006, 09:20 AM
Hopkins is currently listed as OL on the UMass Roster. UMass is 4 deep at TE right now. Brad Listorti a transfer from Rutgers has apparently been impressive.

colgate13
September 2nd, 2006, 03:39 PM
I'm still looking for something innacurate with what I wrote BTW...

colgate13
September 2nd, 2006, 09:04 PM
You totally forgot Rasheed Rancher as our third WR and one of Coens top targets. Also you did not notice or mention that the person taking over at FS for James split alot of time last year at SS with Idhegibo and also played in many different packages when we went nickle and dime. The CB taking over for Costello, Sean Smalls, coach Brown mentioned as being one of the most talented players he ever coached. On the bench, Brandon Freeman, who Brown thinks could be one of the top cover corners in the A10. Ill take Brandon Freeman vs your 3rd or 4th WR any day of the week.

Hey, smart guy (and Sam Adams too). Time to face the music you decided to bring yourself. For chastizing me about missing Rasheed Rancher as Coen's top target(s), Rancher had exactly.... zero receptions and one rush for 12 yards. How ever could I have missed him in my preview?!?!?!??! For shame, really. : smh :

Sean Smalls registered.... 3 tackles. And to my point - Colgate's top receiver was outgained by our #4 WR, Wayne Moten. What ever was I smoking to suggest such a thing!

Now you, and your pal, both look flat out silly, especially with those signatures meant to take a shot at me. xcoffeex

blukeys
September 2nd, 2006, 09:47 PM
Now you, and your pal, both look flat out silly, especially with those signatures meant to take a shot at me. xcoffeex

Gheez 13, Lighten up. Those signatures have nothing to do with you. :nod: :nod: :nod: You need not be so paranoid. After reading the posts of those fine gentlemen I am convinced that the signatures are in fact totally accurate. There is no way anyone would consider the posts of these two to be the product of any research or significant forethought. As the signature states they are the totally off the cuff ramblings of deranged minds that have no basis in fact. We have already known this for years. The acknowledgement by these two is cause for celebration. The first step in controlling mental illness is to acknowledge the problem. :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

One can only assume that these signatures were the advice of some savvy attorney such as Ivytalk who told them that their bizarre and idiotic posts could result in legal action against them and that some warning (such as those on cigarette packs) might protect them from devastating lawsuits.

I would not take this personally. Take care of your wife and your soon to be born 2nd child and take care of your life. I am convinced that these signatures were not a slap at you just warning by those involved that whatever they say might be totally inane. As if we didn't already know!!!!

umassfan
September 2nd, 2006, 10:07 PM
Hey, smart guy (and Sam Adams too). Time to face the music you decided to bring yourself. For chastizing me about missing Rasheed Rancher as Coen's top target(s), Rancher had exactly.... zero receptions and one rush for 12 yards. How ever could I have missed him in my preview?!?!?!??! For shame, really. : smh :

Sean Smalls registered.... 3 tackles. And to my point - Colgate's top receiver was outgained by our #4 WR, Wayne Moten. What ever was I smoking to suggest such a thing!

Did you pay attention to the game? Did you notice how much passing was done. What would you have said if Rancher lit you up? Also your 3rd 4th and 5th WRs really lit up our DBs. That TE of yours really used his height advantage. Scotts extra 15 lbs of muscle really put a hurtin on our D.

colgate13
September 3rd, 2006, 06:39 AM
Did you pay attention to the game? Did you notice how much passing was done. What would you have said if Rancher lit you up? Also your 3rd 4th and 5th WRs really lit up our DBs. That TE of yours really used his height advantage. Scotts extra 15 lbs of muscle really put a hurtin on our D.

You backpedal so well perhaps it should be you starting in the backfield! You've (and Sam Adams) just conveniently went from accusing me of being inaccurate and clueless to getting into an arguement over the content of how I thought Colgate could win the game. BIG DIFFERENCE! :rolleyes:

IF Rancher lit us up, I would have been a bigger person and said I should have included him in my preview. Scott basically had the exact same stats as Baylark. The major difference in that game was ultimately the ability of UMass to score points off of turnovers while Colgate couldn't.

colgate13
September 3rd, 2006, 06:39 AM
Gheez 13, Lighten up. Those signatures have nothing to do with you. :nod: :nod: :nod: You need not be so paranoid. After reading the posts of those fine gentlemen I am convinced that the signatures are in fact totally accurate. There is no way anyone would consider the posts of these two to be the product of any research or significant forethought. As the signature states they are the totally off the cuff ramblings of deranged minds that have no basis in fact. We have already known this for years. The acknowledgement by these two is cause for celebration. The first step in controlling mental illness is to acknowledge the problem. :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx:nod::nod: :nod::nod::nod::nod::nod::nod::nod::nod: