PDA

View Full Version : JMU Releases Statement On George Mason Exit and CAA and JMU's Future

superman7515
March 27th, 2013, 12:05 PM
http://www.jmusports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=14400&ATCLID=206935161

In speaking for the institution and many of our fans, we are extremely disappointed in this decision, as GMU, a founding member of the CAA, represents the key characteristics by which we judge our own conference affiliation.

This news comes at a time when instability and movement within conference membership continues across the country. The immediate strategy by the conference involves the CAA continuing to look at potential new members, a process that began earlier this year with the addition of the College of Charleston.

From our internal athletics perspective, we are actively engaged in a strategic planning process as a component of the University’s Madison Future Commission. In pursuing this plan, we are working with Carr Sports Consulting to assist us in establishing a comprehensive strategic plan that addresses all of our programs and long-term actions. While this process is set to conclude this summer, our planning is fluid and will help position and prepare us for important long-term decisions that are in the best interest of our student-athletes, coaches and the institution.

We look forward to working with our many constituents, both on campus, and around the country, in developing and sharing a strategic plan which positions our institution for long-term success.

Jonathan Alger Jeff Bourne
President Director of Athletics

superman7515
March 27th, 2013, 12:07 PM
Doesn't sound like JMU is committed to the CAA any longer with "While this process is set to conclude this summer, our planning is fluid and will help position and prepare us for important long-term decisions that are in the best interest of our student-athletes, coaches and the institution."

From the JMU Sports Blog...

http://jmusportsblog.com/

What it Means – Objectively

There are many angles from which to view this statement but here is what we know for sure with our emphasis added in parens:

1) JMU is no longer in lockstep with the CAA on decisions about the future. (Great news)

2) The Administration has issued a very public statement acknowledging the utter distress in which the CAA finds itself. (This may be the best news of all as this is the most important thing we’ve been asking of regardless of the final decision)

3) At no point were the words “monitoring the situation” or “committed to the CAA” used. (Thanks be to all that is holy!)

4) The message was signed by President Jon Alger and AD Jeff Bourne. It was NOT signed by VP-Finance Charlie King. (no explanation needed and Alger deserves huge credit for getting involved when needed)

What it Means – Subjectively (our take)

It’s entirely possible that today’s statement is the most important piece of information regarding JMU Athletics to be made in many years and possibly for many more.

Let’s start by addressing the contingent of JMU fans, many of our generation or older, who have been supporters of staying in the CAA and/or FCS. The CAA is DEAD. Not just down, not just going through tough times. DEAD. Seriously, don’t ask about the potential for adding new members and reviving the league. What do you want out of your conference? UR, VCU, ODU, and GMU are all gone. Painfully, they’ll all be enjoying a renewed enthusiasm for their rivalries in the A10, a basketball-centric, non-football conference. Their is no one left, and all the Woffords and Elons and Libertys of the world only drag the league further away from a collection of “peer institutions” many of you supported sticking by. And it’s not just about the CAA, especially when it comes to FCS football. App St. and Georgia Southern, two other FCS powers, are expected to announce tomorrow that they are moving up and joining the Sun Belt Conference. As we’ve been screaming into the ether for awhile now, as the BCS superconferences expand and the mid-major FBS conferences do in turn, the obvious endgame is that this second tier, even if it’s technically 1-A or FBS, is becoming the former 1-AA again and the dregs that remain in what is currently FCS are rapidly sliding back to D2 status. It doesn’t matter what the names are, that’s what is happening. The bottom line remains that all conferences that have some members who play, and thus vote and take into account financially, some sports (football), that other members do not play, are doomed to failure. This is true from the highest level of college sports in the Big East, to 1-AA mid-majors like the CAA, right on down to NAIA Division 2 conferences in the Pacific Northwest. We’ve been beating this drum for two years now and all the half-assed members like College of Charleston or Albany aren’t going to change that. This isn’t about FBS or FCS football. Rob and I can get on board with options that contain both, but it is about not continuing with a sinking ship and at least choosing your own path....

Apphole
March 27th, 2013, 12:07 PM
Sun Belt!

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/30379361.jpg

PAllen
March 27th, 2013, 12:16 PM
http://www.jmusports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=14400&ATCLID=206935161

In speaking for the institution ...

Jonathan Alger Jeff Bourne
President Director of Athletics

My translation: ODU and Georgia State have moved up and we're better than them. App State and GSU just got invites. Now founding members of the CAA are bailing. What the hell have we been waiting for? We're willing to jump at any FBS invite now, no need to wait for this stupid feasibility study nonsense.

DFW HOYA
March 27th, 2013, 12:24 PM
To quote Dennis Miller: "That's the news, and I am out of here."

MplsBison
March 27th, 2013, 12:30 PM
As we’ve been screaming into the ether for awhile now, as the BCS superconferences expand and the mid-major FBS conferences do in turn, the obvious endgame is that this second tier, even if it’s technically 1-A or FBS, is becoming the former 1-AA again and the dregs that remain in what is currently FCS are rapidly sliding back to D2 status. It doesn’t matter what the names are, that’s what is happening.

Truer words never spoken.

FCS has been and will ever more so into the future be seen as very expensive, DII college football. Reality is reality, guys.

MplsBison
March 27th, 2013, 12:32 PM
My translation: ODU and Georgia State have moved up and we're better than them. App State and GSU just got invites. Now founding members of the CAA are bailing. What the hell have we been waiting for? We're willing to jump at any FBS invite now, no need to wait for this stupid feasibility study nonsense.

Well? Yeah.

If you're standing on a bridge that's violently shaking and every other family is running for their lives...are you just going to stand there with your wife and kids? "Just hold on honey...the forecast is still downloading, we'll know what's going on for sure in a couple minutes."

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 27th, 2013, 02:21 PM
JMU would be a solid candidate for the TBD if they finished off their stadium. Academically and georgraphically they fit imo. Their hoops program seems to be on the upswing as well.

MplsBison
March 27th, 2013, 02:54 PM
JMU would be a solid candidate for the TBD if they finished off their stadium. Academically and georgraphically they fit imo. Their hoops program seems to be on the upswing as well.

Yes but the America 12 isn't an FBS entry-level conference.

Other than ODU going directly to CUSA, I think almost all FCS move ups will have to use the MAC or Sun Belt as a stepping stone into the MWC, CUSA or A12.

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 27th, 2013, 03:08 PM

Other than ODU going directly to CUSA, I think almost all FCS move ups will have to use the MAC or Sun Belt as a stepping stone into the MWC, CUSA or A12.

The TBD might not be "entry" level but it doesn't exactly have a ton of pedigree either. I would say the MAC at this point is more of an established conference and UMass gained immediate entry. Granted, Umass is a flagship institution.

ODU's location is what sold CUSA. As a result, I think the Monarchs have potential to do damage in FBS. The Tidewater area is definitely an untapped sports market.

GlassOnion
March 27th, 2013, 04:05 PM
Karl Benson at the App pressure, went into a tangent on how the CAA was collapsing. Take that as you all will. IMO, JMU is looking for an exit.

GATA_Eagles
March 27th, 2013, 04:06 PM
Karl Benson at the App pressure, went into a tangent on how the CAA was collapsing. Take that as you all will. IMO, JMU is looking for an exit.

He essentially gave the CAA a eulogy. I think JMU is probably on deck

GlassOnion
March 27th, 2013, 04:08 PM
JMU, GSU and App is a great set up. With the 2 divisions, 6 OOC games, the setup is really nice.

Mountaineer
March 27th, 2013, 04:10 PM

He also mentioned why Georgia State had to exit so quickly after the CAA ruled them ineligible for championships in any sport.

Fortunately, that's not going to the be case in the SoCon. App can't earn the championship in football, but all other teams will be eligible for conference championships next year.

Football players can also earn individual honors. Men's soccer and wrestling will also be staying in conference. That's got to provide a sense of relief for App's administration. Props to the SoCon for that. xnodx

GlassOnion
March 27th, 2013, 04:27 PM
Overall, good for the Socon. If JMU bails, it hurts FCS as a whole, but the Socon may be able to poach CAA schools.

walliver
March 27th, 2013, 05:51 PM
I suspect the Tulsa move to the former Big East will be announced soon, followed by WKU's move to C-USA, and the SunBelt's replacement.

After that, FBS should settle down, at least until next year, and FCS realignment can begin.

JMU's announcement seems fairly obvious. Usually schools lie and say they are happy where they are before moving, but JMU didn't waste any effort in that regard.

DFW HOYA
March 27th, 2013, 05:52 PM
The Division I landscape is a mess. I-AA is basically bifurcated between the playoff conferences (FPS?): Big 12, SEC, Pac-12, Big 10, ACC (for now), and a second tier of conferences with increasingly limited access to the big money: America 12, Mountain West, Conference USA, MAC, and Sun Belt. When the music stopped, the WAC lost their beanbag chair.

But the conferences are also renaming themselves.

What was the Big East is now a plurality of the ACC.
What was Conference USA is, for all intents and purposes, the America 12.
What was the Sun Belt is now Conference USA.
The larger southern I-AA schools are now the Sun Belt.

I can't see many move moves for now, as the upwardly mobile conferences like the Sun Belt will be full, which is leading to this rush to judgment. But the downstream changes (CAA, SoCon, OVC, Big South, Missouri Valley) are no less interesting.

Seawolf97
March 27th, 2013, 09:34 PM

Kind of agree with you. None of us are going to see the ACC, SEC or Big whatever anytime soon like in 25 -30 years. So the MAC and SunBelt are entry level stops into the FBS world. I would have no problem as a fan if StonyBrook went to the MAC. You face lower level teams from the power confernces or the service academies for home games. Our local FBS competiition is Rutgers, Army and Uconn so maybe we get a peice of the media pie from NYC.

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 27th, 2013, 10:01 PM
Kind of agree with you. None of us are going to see the ACC, SEC or Big whatever anytime soon like in 25 -30 years. So the MAC and SunBelt are entry level stops into the FBS world. I would have no problem as a fan if StonyBrook went to the MAC. You face lower level teams from the power confernces or the service academies for home games. Our local FBS competiition is Rutgers, Army and Uconn so maybe we get a peice of the media pie from NYC.

NYC cares less about college football than Philly and Boston. Whatever media attention there is to be had will go to Rutgers given their move to the Big 10. SBU, being "way out" on the island would barely be a blip on the radar.

MplsBison
March 27th, 2013, 10:16 PM
The Division I landscape is a mess. I-AA is basically bifurcated between the playoff conferences (FPS?): Big 12, SEC, Pac-12, Big 10, ACC (for now), and a second tier of conferences with increasingly limited access to the big money: America 12, Mountain West, Conference USA, MAC, and Sun Belt. When the music stopped, the WAC lost their beanbag chair.

But the conferences are also renaming themselves.

What was the Big East is now a plurality of the ACC.
What was Conference USA is, for all intents and purposes, the America 12.
What was the Sun Belt is now Conference USA.
The larger southern I-AA schools are now the Sun Belt.

I can't see many move moves for now, as the upwardly mobile conferences like the Sun Belt will be full, which is leading to this rush to judgment. But the downstream changes (CAA, SoCon, OVC, Big South, Missouri Valley) are no less interesting.

Group of five (tier 2) conferences will have more access to a larger pool of money in the new system than they ever had in the FBS.

Come on now..don't tell me you're drunk of LFN's nonsense-aid.

Redwyn
March 27th, 2013, 10:46 PM
NYC cares less about college football than Philly and Boston. Whatever media attention there is to be had will go to Rutgers given their move to the Big 10. SBU, being "way out" on the island would barely be a blip on the radar.

Blip or not in NYC, we still live in a county of 1.5 mil, and an island of 3 mil. Plenty large enough media market if we were to get not one soul's attention in NYC. For those playing at home - Long Island itself is a top 20 media market according to Arbitron (who has more districts than Nielson)

Winning attracts all. If the school wins at the higher level, the attention will come. Just like the Knicks fans have come home just in time for them to win again.

NHwildEcat
March 28th, 2013, 07:16 AM
I am wondering how this plays out as far at the AE programs. Does the AE end up providing a safe, "calmer waters" effect for schools looking for that. Or does the CAA safe its *** and pach the AE. As a fan of a football playing affiliate, I wonder if UNH may have a new home--thus Maine would have a new home. This train wreck of conference realignment is so damn interesting...

Laker
March 28th, 2013, 07:44 AM
This train wreck of conference realignment is so damn interesting...

Yes- I am appalled by it, but I read every article and rumor that I find.

Kind of like the Seinfeld episode on Kramer's picture- "He is a loathsome, offensive brute, yet I can't look away"