PDA

View Full Version : Stony Brook v. Hofstra

aceinthehole
August 31st, 2006, 07:09 PM
Game tied 0-0 at halftime!

Live on Fox Sports Net-New York (DirecTv #624)

UNHWildCats
August 31st, 2006, 07:11 PM
Hofstra forgot the clock starts on change of possesion and ended up running just 1 play in the final 17 seconds of the half.

DTSpider
August 31st, 2006, 07:22 PM
Hofstra shut out in the first half...when was the last time that happened?

Fordham
August 31st, 2006, 07:23 PM
Wow - can't believe they squandered that gift (great play on the strip) they were given to come up with zip heading into the half.

Bad, bad, bad, Dave Cohen ... bad, bad, bad. Team came out late onto the field and then lolligagged to run the clock out. He did not have them prepared for the impact of the new rule change.

http://atangledweb.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/soupnazi.jpg

NO FG FOR YOU!

That said, Stony Brook can flat out play. They looked better than Hofstra overall that half (imo).

aceinthehole
August 31st, 2006, 08:45 PM
Well, SBU is 1/2 way there :) Final score 17-8, Hofstra wins.

Good showing by the NEC!

(BTW - Wagner rolls over LaSalle, 38-15)

AppGuy04
August 31st, 2006, 08:56 PM
Good showing by the Stony's

blukeys
August 31st, 2006, 09:11 PM
Wow - can't believe they squandered that gift (great play on the strip) they were given to come up with zip heading into the half.

Bad, bad, bad, Dave Cohen ... bad, bad, bad. Team came out late onto the field and then lolligagged to run the clock out. He did not have them prepared for the impact of the new rule change.

http://atangledweb.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/soupnazi.jpg

NO FG FOR YOU!

That said, Stony Brook can flat out play. They looked better than Hofstra overall that half (imo).

Cohen is a defensive coach and this was his first game as a head coach. I expected mistakes especially with the new rules. Hofstra has always needed a mentality for defense and it appears that Cohen has been working on that part of the job. SBU only had 111 yards of total offense and the Pride's offense has enough talent to turn it around. StonyBrook has added scollies and one needs to give their D some credit. They did a good job against Clarkson and some good offensive talent.

Gil Dobie
August 31st, 2006, 09:34 PM
Had NDSU on the computer and Hofstra/Stony Brook on TV.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 31st, 2006, 09:41 PM
The NEC is deffinately a couple years away from making big strides and maybe warranting an auto bid to the playoffs. SBU gave Lehigh fits in '04, CCSU beat Colgate last year and SBU gave Hofstra a fight tonight. Hopefully Lehigh doesn't fall into a trap on Saturday and come out focused on playing a pretty good opponent.

blukeys
August 31st, 2006, 10:49 PM
The NEC is deffinately a couple years away from making big strides and maybe warranting an auto bid to the playoffs.

For the record SBU is going Indie next year.

Regarding the auto bid for the NEC
Make the application and the case. Personally, I see no reason to continue the pattern of inheritance for the 8 autbids, without challenge, that is currently norm. I see nothing in the rules that suggests these autobids were given by God and can't be changed. Certain Conferences are trying to change the rules in order to deflect attention from their playoff inadequacies. These should be ignored. The current system should be maintained.

However, SBU is eligible for an at large bid and while this puts them on the list for the rest of the season, they need to win out to be considered.

From here on out SBU needs to hope Hofstra does well. If Hofstra proves mediocre then SBU's efforts don't amount to much. :nod: :nod:

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 31st, 2006, 10:58 PM
I just looked at Stony Brooks schedule and it's pretty good. They're not going to beat UNH or Umass but they could easily go 8-3 if they can build upon tonight. With the addition of scholarships Stony Brook could be an interesting team next year. Tonights game was also a big recruiting battle. The two schools are both on Long Island and are similiar profile wise.

Uncle Buck
September 1st, 2006, 07:05 AM
I still can't figure out if it was good SBU defense or really bad HU offense, i'm leaning towards the latter of the two. Bottom line HU stinks!

Fordham
September 1st, 2006, 07:53 AM
Cohen is a defensive coach and this was his first game as a head coach. I expected mistakes especially with the new rules. Hofstra has always needed a mentality for defense and it appears that Cohen has been working on that part of the job. SBU only had 111 yards of total offense and the Pride's offense has enough talent to turn it around. StonyBrook has added scollies and one needs to give their D some credit. They did a good job against Clarkson and some good offensive talent.

That comment was strictly in reference to the poor understanding/preparation for that one moment v. a criticism of the Cohen hiring overall. If I saw him screaming on the sidelines for the group to hurry up, it still would have been a knock on him since it would show his players weren't as prepared as they should be ... but to me this whole thing was compounded by him gathering together the offense to fire them up/provide direction instead of rushing them on the field since it showed that he didn't remember the rule change either.

And, Uncle Buck, those kids from SB can play. I will say that the 2nd half showed me that Hofstra was the better overall team and that WR you have is simply outstanding. He was the best player on the field. Again, though, I think SB are just solid football players, particularly against the run. That's why I thinkt they're in trouble w/UNH since I think Santos/Ball will pass all over them. Again, though, they're no slouch overall. I also think you guys are still adjusting to a new system, so it'll take some time. Be glad with the victory and hopefully for you guys, you can get them anyway you can and build up some confidence and comfort with it. It did seem to me that Cohen wanted to force the run but the only real good work you guys did (with the exception of that #2 and some runs he had - he's a player) to get the ball moving was in the air. Next few weeks will be interesting.

What's up with the removal of the color yellow from your uni's? I wouldn't think it would be a big difference, but boy the uni's in only blue and white are distractingly ugly.

89Hen
September 1st, 2006, 07:57 AM
I have to say that I was shocked by the score of this one. HU beat SB 55-0 last year and I thought HU would be even better this year. Has SB improved that much, or has HU gone backwards, or was this just a first game under a new coach?

Fordham
September 1st, 2006, 08:03 AM
Yes

(honestly, my take is that SB is genuinely pretty good and that it was more of opening game issues under a new regime <gulp> for Hofstra)

Uncle Buck
September 1st, 2006, 08:09 AM
While i give the SBU defense credit for stuffing the run, HU just looked flat and terrible on offense. Lineman weren't staying on blocks or moving their feet, very ugly technique as a whole. Offensively SBU was equally as inept against a defense that was missing two notable starters at LB (one a preseason All-America). HU has a lot of work to do, if we win 4 games I would be amazed.

As for the uni's, just as ugly as the offense.

Umass74
September 1st, 2006, 08:27 AM
I watched the whole game. I think it was more of a new offense and first game jitters for Hofstra.

You gotta give any new coach a couple of years to recruit his guys to run his offense. Particularly with the total revamp of Hofstra's style.

Gotta give credit to Stony Brook for high intensity of play.

This could be what is called a "learning experience for Hofstra. :twocents:

89Hen
September 1st, 2006, 08:36 AM
Buck, who is your OC? Cohen is a defensive guy, I don't know if he has his own offense.

LBPop
September 1st, 2006, 09:25 AM
Saw Stony Brook last season and they have some talent. Georgetown had to rally late to win that game, but IMO Georgetown generally underperformed all last season. With the facilities they have at Stony Brook and with offering scholarships, that program has bright future. Looking forward to seeing the 2006 edition in person next week when they come to DC.

Mr. C
September 1st, 2006, 10:59 AM
The Seawolves pursued extremely well and pretty much bottled up the Hofstra running game. Hofstra beat them by allowing Anton Clarkson to do what he does best throw the ball and let those tall, athletic receivers go up and catch them. My assessment is that Hofstra looked like a first-game team on offense, making a lot of mistakes and commiting a lot of penalties (particularly in the first half). Defensively, the Pride wasn't playing the best team, but they did do a good job of stopping the run. Stony Brook is apparantly a much improved team, though. Their QB Josh Dudash had a lot of passes dropped. If Clarkson doesn't complete a key third down pass to himself and run for a first down on the last Pride scoring drive, I think that Stony Brook might have pulled off an upset, 15-14.

Stony Brook's LaValle Stadium, by the way, is gorgious. Reminds me a bit of Elon"s Rhodes Stadium, or Wofford's Gibbs Stadium, with all of the beautiful brick work. I think the Seawolves are an up and coming program.

mainejeff
September 1st, 2006, 01:17 PM
I think the Seawolves are an up and coming program.

Me too.

aceinthehole
September 2nd, 2006, 05:06 PM
The NEC is deffinately a couple years away from making big strides and maybe warranting an auto bid to the playoffs. SBU gave Lehigh fits in '04, CCSU beat Colgate last year and SBU gave Hofstra a fight tonight. Hopefully Lehigh doesn't fall into a trap on Saturday and come out focused on playing a pretty good opponent.

IF Lehigh goes on to win the PL (and the AQ), that would be 2 years in a row that the NEC beats the PL champs!

Again, congrats Danes!