PDA

View Full Version : William & Mary Announces $35 Million Stadium Expansion For 2015 Season

superman7515
March 27th, 2013, 08:11 AM
http://www.vagazette.com/news/va-vg-sprt-expansionatzable-0327-20130327,0,4456379.story

WILLIAMSBURG — The College of William and Mary has been quietly planning an expansion of 78-year old Zable Stadium expected to cost of tens of millions of dollars. One long-time backer put the price at $35 million, all funded through private donations.

The revelation comes from a report assembled for a January conference on the project. The expansion would add 3,300 seats in an elevated section of the west grandstand. The new seats would be situatied above a new press box and luxury suites.

Contacted Tuesday, William and Mary officials had no comment. College spokesman Brian Whitson issued a brief statement: "Zable Stadium has long since passed its 70th anniversary. Though historic and beautiful, it badly needs repairs. William and Mary is exploring options and costs."

The genesis of the plan is a 2006 feasibility study developed to define improvement goals for the aging Zable Stadium, which opened in July 1935 as a Work Projects Adminstration effort during the Depression. Ten items were identified, the largest of which was renovation or replacement of the existing west stands and a new press box.

The new plan includes construction of a press box/suite level above the stands to support William and Mary's game-day operations. Television and radio broadcast booths would be enclosed, and new camera decks would be in place for televised games.

In addition, two suites will bookend the press box. One would likely serve as a suite for the college president as a way to mingle with alumni and potential donors. Another suite would be available as a source of revenue, possibly rented to corporations or individuals on game days.

New restrooms will be added to support the additional seats. An elevator will also be installed to meet Americans with Disabilities Act requirements...

Accelerati Incredibilus
March 27th, 2013, 08:17 AM
Seems like a mighty hefty price tag for repairs, 3300 seats, a press box and two suites.

DFW HOYA
March 27th, 2013, 08:22 AM
Maybe they're using Georgetown's architects...

Dane96
March 27th, 2013, 08:25 AM
That is a ridiculous price tag even by NYS Contracting standards. I have to believe they need to become ADA compliant in some areas...and that is the cost. But $35Million for that is still too much.

For $35 million...they could build a brand new stadium with ability to expand.

WH49er
March 27th, 2013, 08:25 AM
Seems like a mighty hefty price tag for repairs, 3300 seats, a press box and two suites.

Especially when you consider we just built ours for $45 million.

superman7515
March 27th, 2013, 08:27 AM

I don't think they're going the repairs route, it sounds like they're leaning towards replacing the entire west side.

DSUrocks07
March 27th, 2013, 08:30 AM
http://www.vagazette.com/news/va-vg-sprt-expansionatzable-0327-20130327,0,4456379.story

Even with all this, the simple fact that they are choosing to expand a nearly 80 year old stadium (and I imagine renovate as well, where a majority of the $35 million will probably go), instead of building a brand new one that would probably be slightly smaller in capacity but up to date from the foundation up and expandable, screams Patriot League. JMHO.

kdinva
March 27th, 2013, 08:32 AM

xlolx

seriously, I hope this project is successful. And it's a given that the coaches will be glad they won't have to sit in booths only 12 feet off the ground.......

Dane96
March 27th, 2013, 08:33 AM
Then that is a ridiculously huge sum of money.

PAllen
March 27th, 2013, 08:55 AM
Even with all this, the simple fact that they are choosing to expand a nearly 80 year old stadium (and I imagine renovate as well, where a majority of the $35 million will probably go), instead of building a brand new one that would probably be slightly smaller in capacity but up to date from the foundation up and expandable, screams Patriot League. JMHO.

One can only hope, but my guess is a new SoCon.

bluehenbillk
March 27th, 2013, 09:12 AM
I think it's good news - Zable is not a great place to watch a game currently - bad sightlines.

WUTNDITWAA
March 27th, 2013, 09:20 AM
Keep in mind that W&M is one of the few places in America, where an 80 year old building is considered "new." They can't tear down a storage shed without someone wondering if George Washington's horse slept in it, even though it was bought at Home Depot back in November. Things are expensive in Williamsburg, especially the closer you are to the historic district, and the same $35 million that could get James Madison a new half stadium may be only good enough to get 3300 seats in Colonial Williamsburg.

superman7515
March 27th, 2013, 09:25 AM

Or Big 10 (Wisconsin - 1917, Ohio State - 1922, Michigan St, Nebraska, & Illinois - 1923, Purdue - 1924, Northwestern - 1926, Michigan - 1927, Iowa - 1929)

Or Big 12 (Oklahoma State - 1920, Kansas - 1921, Texas - 1924, Oklahoma - 1925, TCU - 1929)

Or Pac 12 (Washington - 1920, Stanford & UCLA - 1921, USC & California - 1923, Colorado - 1924, Arizona - 1928)

Or SEC (Texas A&M - 1904, Mississippi State - 1914, Mississippi - 1915, Tennessee - 1921, LSU - 1924, Missouri - 1927, Alabama & Georgia - 1929, Florida - 1930, South Carolina - 1934, Arkansas - 1938, Auburn - 1939)

Or ACC (Georgia Tech - 1913, North Carolina - 1927, Duke - 1929, Virginia - 1931)

Or MAC (Ohio - 1929, Toledo - 1937, Western Michigan - 1939)

Or CUSA (UAB - 1926, Tulsa - 1930, Southern Miss - 1932, Middle Tennessee - 1933)

Or New Big East (Cincinnati - 1924)

Or MWC (San Jose St - 1933)

Or maybe just hang out in a conference for a couple of years and then go Indy (Army - 1924, Notre Dame - 1930)

Expanding an old stadium instead of going the Richmond route is more prevalent at higher levels of football than FCS, so although I have no illusions of W&M returning to FBS, I doubt it's an indicator they are de-emphasising football by spending $35 million to go the Patriot League.

MplsBison
March 27th, 2013, 09:56 AM
Guys keep in mind that that stadiums/stadium upgrades can have a very wide range of cost when you factor in the quality and appearance of the structure.

For example, Central Florida and Minnesota both built brand new 45-50k stadiums fairly recently. UCF spent something like $50 million total to build an erector set stadium - basically an overgrown high school stadium. Minnesota, on the other hand, spent $250 million to build something that looks like it belongs in the Big Ten.

You get the idea.

DFW HOYA
March 27th, 2013, 10:18 AM
Many of the dates above are references to the field, not the physical stadium. For example, TCU opened Amon G. Carter Stadium in 1929 but basically built a brand new stadium around it last year. Texas A&M will do the same for Kyle Field in 2014 at a cost approachig $500 million.

CFBfan
March 27th, 2013, 11:13 AM

nothing wrong with the architects in DC it's the morons in admin there!

nj alum
March 27th, 2013, 11:24 AM
The heading of this post is incorrect. W&M has annnounced nothing. The author of the article may have been eavesdropping on CAAZone where the conceptual report popped up over the last several days.

Please spare us the comments re: price, size, what it means, etc.

All you need to know is structurally and technologically challenged press box, ADA, town of Williamsburg, anti-football folks, and no seats on the 50 yard line on one side.

Any...ANY...improvement is welcome news to this season ticket holder...regardless of price (all private money)...and regardless of league affiliation.

AppMan
March 27th, 2013, 11:35 AM
The heading of this post is incorrect. W&M has annnounced nothing. The author of the article may have been eavesdropping on CAAZone where the conceptual report popped up over the last several days.

Please spare us the comments re: price, size, what it means, etc.

All you need to know is structurally and technologically challenged press box, ADA, town of Williamsburg, anti-football folks, and no seats on the 50 yard line on one side.

Any...ANY...improvement is welcome news to this season ticket holder...regardless of price (all private money)...and regardless of league affiliation.

I know the place is old, but you've got to wonder who decided to put tunnels where the best seats in the house are. I appreciate wanting to preserve as much of the original structure as possible. Believe I'd tear down the side opposite to the press box, use that area for a side of a new stadium facing the opposite way towards the those fields behind it. Keep the original for track & field, soccer and or lacrosse.

superman7515
March 27th, 2013, 11:43 AM
The heading of this post is incorrect.

The heading of the post matches, as much as allowed with size constraints, the heading of the article in the newspaper which is "College of William and Mary Announces Plans to Expand Zable by 3,300 Seats for the 2015 Season"

pike51
March 27th, 2013, 11:44 AM
I know the place is old, but you've got to wonder who decided to put tunnels where the best seats in the house are. I appreciate wanting to preserve as much of the original structure as possible. Believe I'd tear down the side opposite to the press box, use that area for a side of a new stadium facing the opposite way towards the those fields behind it. Keep the original for track & field, soccer and or lacrosse.

The stadium was built as a livestock facility to comply with some sort of laws. In order to perform upgrades, my understanding from some W&M friends is it has to be a total re-do. They can't just do upgrades or expansion here and there. It's a much larger project than you'd think but there are some rules/laws standing in the way based on how the facility is classified and the whole historical building thing.

Unfortunately, I don't know the exact story or details but you get the drift.

Tribe4SF
March 27th, 2013, 12:27 PM
Pike has it pretty much correct. When the first phase of the East Side Press box is done, that whole side will need to become ADA compliant, and up to current codes for electrical, etc. That includes lockerrooms, meeting and training areas, and restrooms located under the east side. The second phase will include not only the west stands, but all new concession areas, bathrooms on the north end, and moving the scoreboard from the south end to the north end.

Zable is a historic structure, and the visual image is going to be preserved. Bricks, baby...lots of bricks.

Pard4Life
March 27th, 2013, 12:28 PM
Lafayette basically built a new stadium for $25mm, including a large, new varsity house.