PDA

View Full Version : an unnamed message board already stating Coastal and SoCon have begun talks

catamount man
March 26th, 2013, 08:38 PM
Take it for what it's worth. GO CATS!

zilla
March 26th, 2013, 09:19 PM
You're joking, right?

catamount man
March 26th, 2013, 09:27 PM
Nope. But it's all hearsay so I won't reveal the message board. I will say this, one of your athletic officials had a quote regarding the situation.

CID1990
March 26th, 2013, 10:09 PM
Not going to happen.

Wofford, Furman, El Cid and Elon all vote no. Samford votes with Furman.

That means it doesn't happen.

Sent from the center of the universe.

rokamortis
March 26th, 2013, 10:09 PM
Rumors are rumors - we know. Can you post the link? I'd be interested in reading the info.

catamount man
March 26th, 2013, 10:12 PM
Rumors are rumors - we know. Can you post the link? I'd be interested in reading the info.

Other than three lines, nothing else to report. Not disclosing the board, but trust me, it's no big deal.........yet. GO CATS!

catamount man
March 26th, 2013, 10:13 PM
Not going to happen.

Afraid you're right. WCU needs ETSU on board YESTERDAY!

CID1990
March 26th, 2013, 10:17 PM
Afraid you're right. WCU needs ETSU on board YESTERDAY!

I think you will get a two-fer.... ETSU and VMI.

The Cats
March 26th, 2013, 10:28 PM
Just my opinion, but I think at this time, the SoCon needs CCU.

It's the best replacement for ASU/GSU out there. I hope it happens.

I don't believe that Elon or Samford votes with the "small" privates on this particular issue (membership).

CID1990
March 26th, 2013, 10:39 PM
Just my opinion, but I think at this time, the SoCon needs CCU.

It's the best replacement for ASU/GSU out there. I hope it happens.

I don't believe that Elon or Samford votes with the "small" privates on this particular issue (membership).

Wanna bet?

pike51
March 26th, 2013, 10:45 PM
The SoCon needs more dogs! :)

The Cats
March 26th, 2013, 10:46 PM
Wanna bet?

Sure.

Sent from Georgia (the actual center of the universe).

rokamortis
March 27th, 2013, 06:04 AM
Not going to happen.

Talk is talk. Not saying it will happen because I'm doubtful - but CCU should be on the list of potential candidates for both the SoCon and CAA. Rumors are that Furman, Elon, and perhaps Wofford are looking for a change as well ...

elcid83
March 27th, 2013, 07:30 AM
While I agree that CCU was not a favorite target of the SOCON when Samford was brought in. I don't believe the SOCON is in the same bargaining position that they were in at that time. Not because App. State and GSU are gone, but because of all of the changes that have occurred at the FBS level and the trickle down effect that has put on FCS programs. CCU may get a better look this time but I'd like to think that the SOCON powers aren't interested in adding a team that won't be around for long and I think CCU is moving on up. Should be an interesting month or so. FWIW, I hear Gardner-Webb has also made contact with the SOCON powers that be.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

CID1990
March 27th, 2013, 07:45 AM
Talk is talk. Not saying it will happen because I'm doubtful - but CCU should be on the list of potential candidates for both the SoCon and CAA. Rumors are that Furman, Elon, and perhaps Wofford are looking for a change as well ...

CCU WILL be on the list, of that I'm sure. Then the conference will take ETSU over them.

rokamortis
March 27th, 2013, 07:55 AM
While I agree that CCU was not a favorite target of the SOCON when Samford was brought in. I don't believe the SOCON is in the same bargaining position that they were in at that time. Not because App. State and GSU are gone, but because of all of the changes that have occurred at the FBS level and the trickle down effect that has put on FCS programs. CCU may get a better look this time but I'd like to think that the SOCON powers aren't interested in adding a team that won't be around for long and I think CCU is moving on up. Should be an interesting month or so. FWIW, I hear Gardner-Webb has also made contact with the SOCON powers that be.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

I don't think Coastal has any FBS aspirations at present. I think we are just happy having a football team and trying to be competitive t the FCS level. If (somehow) we get ultra successful then perhaps ... but my guess is 20-30 years and who knows what everything will be like then.

rokamortis
March 27th, 2013, 07:56 AM
Other than three lines, nothing else to report. Not disclosing the board, but trust me, it's no big deal.........yet. GO CATS!

I'm really just interested in the quote from someone at CCU - who and what they said. Could you fill us in with that info?

walliver
March 27th, 2013, 08:03 AM

I don't see why Samford would want a new member on the Atlantic coast. Conway is a long drive from Birmingham. I would suspect Samford would lean more towards Kennesaw, Mercer, or an OVC Tennessee school.

ASUMountaineer
March 27th, 2013, 08:23 AM
The SoCon needs more dogs! :)

xlolx xsmileyclapx

ChetSteadman
March 27th, 2013, 08:45 AM
I'm really just interested in the quote from someone at CCU - who and what they said. Could you fill us in with that info?

One of his alter-egos is a CCU fan - that's where he heard it.

fc97
March 27th, 2013, 08:51 AM
elons not voting no on coastal

ASUMountaineer
March 27th, 2013, 09:12 AM
One of his alter-egos is a CCU fan - that's where he heard it.

xlolx

catamount man
March 27th, 2013, 09:17 AM
http://www.d2messageboard.com/showthread.php?56152-Dominoes-are-falling-in-D-1

THAT GOOD ENOUGH 4 YA?!

rokamortis
March 27th, 2013, 09:48 AM

THAT GOOD ENOUGH 4 YA?!

Helps put it in context. I think that person was just stirring the pot. If our AD said that then it would be better known. Plus, I think the SoCon has to see if there are any other possible moves (Elon, Davidson) before they make any announcements.

bodoyle
March 27th, 2013, 10:34 AM
Stupid question: Would waiting until the Summer be advantageous for any reason since school is out, and no sports being played? Just wondering.

BigSouthFB
March 27th, 2013, 11:31 AM
This is a no brainer if you are the Socon, Add Mercer to appease the private schools and add either ETSU or Kennesaw. I can say 99% certainty that Mercer is first invited.

catamount man
March 27th, 2013, 12:28 PM
This is a no brainer if you are the Socon, Add Mercer to appease the private schools and add either ETSU or Kennesaw. I can say 99% certainty that Mercer is first invited.

I can live with that, but I'd like VMI back as well.

CID1990
March 27th, 2013, 03:20 PM

I agree on the schools but not the order. I think all three plus VMI get the call at the same time. That sweetens the pot for all if them.

BigSouthFB
March 27th, 2013, 03:56 PM
I agree on the schools but not the order. I think all three plus VMI get the call at the same time. That sweetens the pot for all if them.

I would agree with you there. anyone who scoops up Mercer and KSU will be doing their conference a huge favor. Mercer has academics and already expanded their original stadium plans because of fan interest selling out season tickets in a month. with plans to expand and 10,000 seats for a non scholly football program and a basketball team on the rise they are very attractive. KSU has a beautiful existing stadium (I used to live 5 minutes from it.) and an athletic director who has the cajones to get the job done (met him, awesome dude) Also being the 3rd largest student body in georgia(Largest FCS now) they are also very attractive and in a very nice little area just north of atl. ETSU I don't know much about other than their fan base seems to be as passionate as I've ran across. Johnson City isn't a bad little town and again I think they are a great fit. VMI is an incredible institution. I have nothing but respect for what they do but their athletics programs concern me. While their basketball team has been decent over the years I see the effects of a rugged/rigid schedule for student athletes towards seasons end. This may not be the case anymore but I remember hearing that their athletes had to go through PT the same as regular cadets even while in season. Lexington while really a cool little town (been there several times) is hard to get to and while I'd like to see all four I dont know if it will happen. Just my humble 2 cents. Thoughts?

CID1990
March 27th, 2013, 05:00 PM

THAT GOOD ENOUGH 4 YA?!

Dude.

I thought the "rumors" were suspect, but now I'm absolutely sure of it.

The real clincher was the part about UNCW football in 2015. That has been a rumor almost to the level of urban legend for a few years now. They are in no way preparing for football there.

Also, there is absolutely no way the SoCon would be in discussions with CCU ahead of Mercer and ETSU. The very same factors that kept CCU from getting an invite back when we added Samford are still in place. CCU just does not have the votes, and no amount of wishful thinking or rumormongering will change the fact that CCU does not have the votes.

ASU_Fanatic
March 27th, 2013, 05:30 PM
honestly big south is probably better than the socon right now lmao

The Cats
March 27th, 2013, 06:07 PM

Typical bandwagon fan that now feels the need to piss on the organization that help get ASU to where they are now.

To bad the real ASU fans won't disown you.

PS: as far as your "APPALACHIAN STATE CLASS OF 2018 (hopefully)" I seriously doubt you have a snow ball's chance in hell of being accepted into ASU, their standards are higher than that.

Apphole
March 27th, 2013, 06:25 PM
Typical bandwagon fan that now feels the need to piss on the organization that help get ASU to where they are now.

PS: as far as your "APPALACHIAN STATE CLASS OF 2018 (hopefully)" I seriously doubt you have a snow ball's chance in hell of being accepted into ASU, their standards are higher than that.

The kid is in high school. Why not take the high road and save your venom for adults that piss you off?....

Like me!

ursus arctos horribilis
March 27th, 2013, 07:10 PM
The kid is in high school. Why not take the high road and save your venom for adults that piss you off?....

Like me!
Or fanatic could shut up and stop acting like a high schooler. You throw a punch expect a counter.

ASU_Fanatic
March 27th, 2013, 07:36 PM

You're right I'm dumb I'll have to go to Western

e: But if you want the honest truth I'm ranked 13th in a class with 200+ students, I'm in GREAT shape to be accepted to App

elcid83
March 28th, 2013, 07:17 AM
I don't think Coastal has any FBS aspirations at present. I think we are just happy having a football team and trying to be competitive t the FCS level. If (somehow) we get ultra successful then perhaps ... but my guess is 20-30 years and who knows what everything will be like then.

roka, Take this for what it is worth. When CCU hired its last AD I was close friends with one of the candidates who was interviewed for the position. I can assure you that your AD was told - "The Board of Trustees want to see CCU move up athletically, not to the SOCON or any other FCS conference. What are the funding requirements for our athletics program to move to FBS? If you were our AD, how would you help CCU get us there?" Maybe CCU has had a change of heart since the new AD was hired, but I think the only reason they brought Moglia on as football coach was to find the funding they need to go D-I.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

CID1990
March 28th, 2013, 07:19 AM

That's not an informed statement.

rokamortis
March 28th, 2013, 07:33 AM
roka, Take this for what it is worth. When CCU hired its last AD I was close friends with one of the candidates who was interviewed for the position. I can assure you that your AD was told - "The Board of Trustees want to see CCU move up athletically, not to the SOCON or any other FCS conference. What are the funding requirements for our athletics program to move to FBS? If you were our AD, how would you help CCU get us there?" Maybe CCU has had a change of heart since the new AD was hired, but I think the only reason they brought Moglia on as football coach was to find the funding they need to go D-I.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

That probably happened - but the flip side of this, and I know first hand, the board is very split. Some people have wide eyes and want to shoot for the sky but overall many tend to be more realistic. We had one board member that was a big driver of this sort of talk and he is no longer on the board. Coastal has weathered the recession fairly well, but they aren't ready from a financial or fan base perspective to make the move. It will take a while, trust me.

Moglia was brought in because he had a lot of upside. He said he isn't going to contribute while he's coaching. And his net worth has been exaggerated - some call him a billionaire but the author of the book about Moglia said in his research that it is not even close. Some estimate closer to $200 million. Still rich but not Daddy Warbucks kind of money.

PaladinFan
March 28th, 2013, 07:41 AM
That's not an informed statement.

I'm surprised you set your expectations that high.

There is not a single SoCon school that would take an invite to the Big South. Every Big South school would take an invite to the SoCon.

bodoyle
March 28th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Paladin: You mean playing the likes of Charleston Southern and their awesome campus doesn't entice you to switch conferences? :)

Apphole
March 28th, 2013, 09:50 AM
You're right I'm dumb I'll have to go to Western

ZING! Set yourself up for that one, kitty.

Apphole
March 28th, 2013, 09:55 AM
Or fanatic could shut up and stop acting like a high schooler. You throw a punch expect a counter.

It just seemed so angry and venomous. Cats could have easily made a fool of fanatic in a light hearted way and not revealed himself to be such a little man. I would have gone with a "balls haven't dropped" joke.

This page of the thread reflects poorly on cats more so than it does fanatic IMHO.

ASUMountaineer
March 28th, 2013, 10:24 AM
It just seemed so angry and venomous. Cats could have easily made a fool of fanatic in a light hearted way and not revealed himself to be such a little man. I would have gone with a "balls haven't dropped" joke.

This page of the thread reflects poorly on cats more so than it does fanatic IMHO.

The Cats is quite petty...at least his posting persona. His hits were hilarious on CP.

catamount man
March 28th, 2013, 11:01 AM
CATS is a diehard WCU alum and great guy. And anybody who can get security to get a cameraman removed from blocking several CATS views is great in my book. STILL LOL OVER THAT! GO CATS!

phoenix3
March 28th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Not going to happen.

I'm not so sure that Elon votes no either. Our AD is a former coach and AD of Coastal. Plus, Coastal makes a lot of sense IMO.

Sandlapper Spike
March 28th, 2013, 12:03 PM
I don't think Davidson is interested in adding Coastal Carolina either, and you have to wonder if UTC/Samford/WCU really want another school in South Carolina.

chattanoogamocs
March 28th, 2013, 03:45 PM
So let me get this straight...the SoCon is already in talks with CCU, but this was in the Times Free Press this morning...

The SoCon has been discussing its realignment options for more than a year. At the last SoCon ADs meetings, in late January, all of the league's ADs were asked to submit their top three choices for schools to join the league. Every ballot was different, UTC interim AD Laura Herron said.

When the league meets on April 10 in Charlotte, Herron said, "we're going to come to a consensus and decide what's best for the conference."

They don't even have any kind of consensus on who they want to talk to much, much less already being in talks with a school about joining (unless by "talks" they mean someone called and said "hey, 12 admins voted on their favorites for expansion on you are listed on someone's top 3")

rokamortis
March 28th, 2013, 05:10 PM
So let me get this straight...the SoCon is already in talks with CCU, but this was in the Times Free Press this morning...

The SoCon has been discussing its realignment options for more than a year. At the last SoCon ADs meetings, in late January, all of the league's ADs were asked to submit their top three choices for schools to join the league. Every ballot was different, UTC interim AD Laura Herron said.

When the league meets on April 10 in Charlotte, Herron said, "we're going to come to a consensus and decide what's best for the conference."

They don't even have any kind of consensus on who they want to talk to much, much less already being in talks with a school about joining (unless by "talks" they mean someone called and said "hey, 12 admins voted on their favorites for expansion on you are listed on someone's top 3")

I think we all agree the original report was bogus.

fc97
March 28th, 2013, 05:25 PM

its a fact theyre already talking to a number of schools.

i think the lack of concensus is agreeing on when ones they can all agree to say yes on

rokamortis
March 28th, 2013, 05:38 PM
Hopefully Coastal can get some those vehemently opposed to relax their stance and get the others to vote yes. I really think that 5 team package (Mercer, VMI, KSU, ETSU, and Coastal) would be great for the SoCon as it would appease most members.

catamount man
March 28th, 2013, 07:52 PM
I think we all agree the original report was bogus.

Which is why I didn't want to post the link, but no................................................ you just had to see it for yourself and now you wanna crap all over me.

rokamortis
March 28th, 2013, 09:34 PM
its a fact theyre already talking to a number of schools.

i think the lack of concensus is agreeing on when ones they can all agree to say yes on

I'm sure the conference is talking to schools to see who is seriously interested, as in if the school is invited will it accept, and making a list. In April they'll then present that list to the Presidents and ADs, if they haven't already. They'll determine the priorities and how many schools they want to invite and then begin negotiating. In May they'll officially vote to accept the schools and then announcements in May or June.

The consensus will be the hardest part, but now they know what they lost and who will officially be available.

rokamortis
March 28th, 2013, 09:40 PM
Which is why I didn't want to post the link, but no................................................ you just had to see it for yourself and now you wanna crap all over me.

There was no offense meant to you, honest. You posted and clearly marked it was a rumor from another board. But I appreciate being able to read the original post and determine the legitimacy.

catamount man
March 28th, 2013, 10:03 PM
There was no offense meant to you, honest. You posted and clearly marked it was a rumor from another board. But I appreciate being able to read the original post and determine the legitimacy.

My apologies for taking it personal. Sorry.

CID1990
March 28th, 2013, 11:26 PM
I'm not so sure that Elon votes no either. Our AD is a former coach and AD of Coastal. Plus, Coastal makes a lot of sense IMO.

Drop Elon and CCU still doesn't have the votes.

fc97
March 29th, 2013, 11:49 AM
Drop Elon and CCU still doesn't have the votes.

coastal doesn't have the votes period. before, it would take 9 of 12. now, 7 of 9. with the citadel, furman, wofford and davidson in question, its not even close.

doubtful mercer by itself has the votes either. but throw coastal, mercer and three more together in a package, it might change just a bit.

CID1990
March 29th, 2013, 01:19 PM
coastal doesn't have the votes period. before, it would take 9 of 12. now, 7 of 9. with the citadel, furman, wofford and davidson in question, its not even close.

doubtful mercer by itself has the votes either. but throw coastal, mercer and three more together in a package, it might change just a bit.

Who would oppose Mercer? They are good fit for all the same reasons CCU is not.