PDA

View Full Version : APPALACHIAN STATE, GEORGIA SOUTHERN TO JOIN SUNBELT...ANNOUNCEMENT WEDNESDAY

Pages : [1] 2

theasushow
March 25th, 2013, 12:14 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/3/25/4145372/georgia-southern-appalachian-state-sun-belt

http://www.wusa9.com/sports/college/football/article/251030/305/Appalachian-State-close-to-accepting-Sun-Belt-invite

FCS_pwns_FBS
March 25th, 2013, 12:31 PM
Need to go to McDonalds to get my crow McNuggets.

DFW HOYA
March 25th, 2013, 12:32 PM
West: UALR (no FB), ArkSt., TX-Arlington (no FB), Texas St., LA-Laf, LA-Monroe

East: App, Georgia St, Georgia Southern, S. Alabama, Troy, Western KY

Travel costs just went up.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 25th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Put a * next to Western Kentucky.

ASUG8
March 25th, 2013, 12:35 PM

Now we'll have to argue over who the real ASU and GSU in the conference truly are. At least Ga. State will get a crowd in Atlanta with these two additions.

PaladinFan
March 25th, 2013, 12:38 PM
Mazahltov.

Best of luck.

WestCoastAggie
March 25th, 2013, 12:38 PM
Congrats fellas! I am surprised it took as long as it did for both schools to get the invite.

Skjellyfetti
March 25th, 2013, 12:48 PM
Appalachian State’s wait for a move up to the NCAA’s highest level of football appears to be over.

University officials will accept an invitation to join the Sun Belt Conference later this week, probably Wednesday, according to a source at ASU familiar with the negotiations.

The source spoke on the condition of anonymity because neither the school nor the conference has made an announcement.
Details of the move — such as the exact date that ASU will join the Sun Belt — are being worked out, but ASU could begin competition in the Sun Belt in 2014 in all 18 sports the conference offers.

The move will take the Mountaineers to the Football Bowl Subdivision. They have competed in the Football Championship Subdivision (formerly I-AA) since 1981. FBS schools can offer as many as 22 more scholarships than FCS schools.

Appalachian will leave the Southern Conference, where it has been a member since 1971. The Southern Conference has an exit fee of $600,000 for programs leaving in less than two years after giving notice.

The Sun Belt has been in need of new members after dropping to eight football schools when Florida Atlantic, Florida International, Middle Tennessee and North Texas announced that they would move to Conference USA.

Georgia Southern, also in the Southern Conference, is among other schools considered for Sun Belt expansion. Commissioner Karl Benson of the Sun Belt has said that there is a possibility of the Sun Belt expanding to have 12 football-playing schools.

ASU decided to pursue a move to the FBS in August 2011 and has been seeking and awaiting an invitation from an FBS conference since.
The move will increase costs for ASU’s athletics program but will generate more revenue, a feasibility-study committee said before recommending a move to the FBS.

Sun Belt members for football in 2013 will be Arkansas State, Georgia State, Louisiana-Lafayette, Louisiana-Monroe, South Alabama, Texas State, Troy and Western Kentucky. Arkansas-Little Rock and Texas-Arlington compete in other sports but not football.

Georgia State, Texas-Arlington and Texas State will be new to the Sun Belt at the start of the next academic year. All Sun Belt members are public universities.
ASU’s average regular-season attendance for home football games in 2012 was 27,964 and higher than all eight remaining Sun Belt football schools. The Mountaineers have won three FCS national championships.

Four Sun Belt teams — Arkansas State, Louisiana-Lafayette, Louisiana-Monroe and Western Kentucky — played in bowl games last season, and the league has automatic tie-ins to the New Orleans Bowl and the GoDaddy.com Bowl in Mobile, Ala.

In men’s basketball, the Sun Belt last received multiple NCAA Tournament berths for the second time in six years when Middle Tennessee State and Western Kentucky made the field.

ASU has a 6-3 all-time record against the remaining eight Sun Belt football members and is 6-4 in basketball against the 2013-14 Sun Belt members.

http://www.journalnow.com/sports/asu/football/article_753216e0-956f-11e2-b44c-001a4bcf6878.html

Sly Fox
March 25th, 2013, 12:52 PM
Congratulations to the fans of both teams. The efforts of both schools were significant in order to make this move possible. I wouldn't mind a bit if we were in the next wave of announcements.

Wow, the SoCon just took a massive hit in one day.

Sandlapper Spike
March 25th, 2013, 12:53 PM
Put a * next to Western Kentucky.

Correct. As soon as Tulsa moves to the Aresco League, WKU will jump to C-USA.

pike51
March 25th, 2013, 12:54 PM
So... what are the chances that UTC actually makes the playoffs now that App and GSU aren't eligible? 10 to 1 they still find a way to **** it up!

knucklehead
March 25th, 2013, 12:54 PM
Certainly a huge day for both schools! Congrats indeed!

ASUMountaineer
March 25th, 2013, 12:58 PM
Now we'll have to argue over who the real ASU and GSU in the conference truly are. At least Ga. State will get a crowd in Atlanta with these two additions.

I think Appalachian's recent athletics plan solved the issue with "ASU" no longer being used. Appalachian will soon begin using the "App State" moniker and will change www.goasu.com to www.appstatesports.com.

Arkansas State can have ASU.

As to "GSU," they will be arguing for a while I suppose.

knucklehead
So I assume they will move in 2014 since schedules are all set. So will GASO and APP be eligible for SOCON and FCS Championships / Playoffs in 13?

ASUMountaineer
So... what are the chances that UTC actually makes the playoffs now that App and GSU aren't eligible? 10 to 1 they still find a way to **** it up!

xoutofrepx

ASUG8
March 25th, 2013, 12:59 PM
I think Appalachian's recent athletics plan solved the issue with "ASU" no longer being used. Appalachian will soon begin using the "App State" moniker and will change www.goasu.com to www.appstatesports.com.

Yeah, I'd read somewhere that we were starting to rebrand ourselves App State vs. ASU. I like it. xnodx

IBleedYellow
March 25th, 2013, 01:01 PM

They won't make it. Let's be honest.

pike51
March 25th, 2013, 01:09 PM

Nah... We're Georgia Southern. "GS" for short. I'm good with that, too many GSU's already out there. Congrats to you guys as well on the move up!

asumike83
March 25th, 2013, 01:11 PM
Sad to leave behind a lot of history but very excited about the future for Appalachian. I plan to continue following the FCS/SoCon even after our departure.

As far as the FCS goes, I will officially be a Montana fan after August 31!

FCS_pwns_FBS
March 25th, 2013, 01:17 PM
Wrong Thread

Professor Chaos
March 25th, 2013, 01:18 PM
Great to hear, best of luck to App St and Georgia Southern at the next level.

Now we'll have to find something new to bicker about...

ursus arctos horribilis
March 25th, 2013, 01:20 PM
Sad to leave behind a lot of history but very excited about the future for Appalachian. I plan to continue following the FCS/SoCon even after our departure.

The more well reasoned posters we have the better so welcome aboard friend.

I wish the two schools all the best.

MplsBison
March 25th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Awesome news! Best of luck to both App St and Geo Southern in FBS! You'll both have an excellent opportunity to win the league without having to spend much more than you do now.

I wish like hell that NDSU had a path to follow you up. Come on MAC!

Skjellyfetti
March 25th, 2013, 01:25 PM

Same, I'll always love and follow the FCS, particularly the playoffs.

I'm claiming North Alabama and my new FCS team (though, it may be a while before they finally make the move...)

Go Lions!!

bobcathpdevil56
March 25th, 2013, 01:26 PM

I feel like that is a very knee-jerk reaction to deciding your new favorite team. I would maybe let this decision simmer for a bit and then jump on a less band-wagony team.

theasushow
March 25th, 2013, 01:29 PM
I feel like that is a very knee-jerk reaction to deciding your new favorite team. I would maybe let this decision simmer for a bit and then jump on a less band-wagony team.

I was thinking about Wofford myself...

SpeedkingATL
March 25th, 2013, 01:30 PM
I will really miss some of the SoCon games but onward we go. I've followed 1-AA/FCS for so long I expect I will still follow the SoCon teams and continue to pull for them and Montana in the playoffs along with the new FCS team from Kennesaw State which is only a 20 minute drive from my home. Just hope us and GaSo can kick some Sunbelt aZZ from day one.

eaglessoar20021
March 25th, 2013, 01:30 PM
Kennesaw State will become my 1aa team. After the transition period they will pick up right where Southern left off. Kicking the crap out of Furman and Woffy. Go Owls.

Same, I'll always love and follow the FCS, particularly the playoffs.

I'm claiming North Alabama and my new FCS team (though, it may be a while before they finally make the move...)

Go Lions!!

eaglessoar20021
March 25th, 2013, 01:32 PM
I'm with you brother. What did I just say?

Just hope us and GaSo can kick some Sunbelt aZZ from day one.

ASUG8
March 25th, 2013, 01:33 PM

It's hard for me to dislike the Terriers. Being that small and that competitive says a lot, plus Ayers is a class act. Never had a problem with Montana either, so I'll divide my loyalties.

TheRevSFA
March 25th, 2013, 01:40 PM
I guess I better send Apphole a shirt.

Apphole
March 25th, 2013, 01:43 PM
I guess I better send Apphole a shirt.

Can't wait

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRsu_dL5t0J_Gwy0ORZLczhCFTf_VSLu xJr2q_kr1hdCrANlORR

TheRevSFA
March 25th, 2013, 01:46 PM
Can't wait

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRsu_dL5t0J_Gwy0ORZLczhCFTf_VSLu xJr2q_kr1hdCrANlORR

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b7/Sixmilliondollar1.jpg/220px-Sixmilliondollar1.jpg

asumike83
March 25th, 2013, 01:49 PM

I'll always enjoy watching the SoCon succeed.

Well, outside of Davidson. They can suck it.

GreatAppSt
March 25th, 2013, 01:49 PM
HOLY MOLY!:D

AppAlum2003
March 25th, 2013, 02:08 PM
It's appropriate that I watched the 2009 Richmond/AppState playoff game this morning on my DVR. So many memories. I'll miss the playoffs, but excited about our current direction.

IBleedYellow
March 25th, 2013, 02:09 PM

The irony of a Montana State fan talking about bandwagon teams.

GreatAppSt
March 25th, 2013, 02:11 PM
Looks like the GAS countdown has just two more seasons here on AGS.:(

ursus arctos horribilis
March 25th, 2013, 02:13 PM
The irony of a Montana State fan talking about bandwagon teams.

xlolx

My exact thought when I read it. I was gonna say something about the home stadium emptying mid may through the 4th quarter of certain games against a couple of teams I think you and I follow but decided not to.

Trail of tears.

theasushow
March 25th, 2013, 02:16 PM
So are we (ASU, GSU) elgible to make the playoffs next year?

IBleedYellow
March 25th, 2013, 02:17 PM

I hope so. I can't wait to be 4-0 against GSU and be the last team to beat them as the go FBS!

knucklehead
March 25th, 2013, 02:17 PM

Or win SOCON Championship? Asked earlier and no answers.

GlassOnion
March 25th, 2013, 02:21 PM
Dont think so. 3 top 10 teams should be ineligible this year, GSU, APP and ODU.

slycat
March 25th, 2013, 02:22 PM

No to both.

2013: FCS, no playoffs, no conference championship
2014: FBS transitional, no conference champiosnhip, no bowl unless exception is made like last year (no limit on FCS played but will most likely have full Sun Belt schedule)
2015: FBS, bowl and conference championship eligable

IBleedYellow

I'd guess it's like ODU last year. Couldn't win the Autobid or win the conference Championship.

GreatAppSt
So are we (ASU, GSU) elgible to make the playoffs next year? depends when the schools file the paperwork with the NCAA. before or after june 1st IIRC.

slycat
March 25th, 2013, 02:24 PM
depends when the schools file the paperwork with the NCAA. before or after june 1st IIRC.

Correct. But no way it happens after that date. Which might be July 1. Sun Belt needs teams to get through transition ASAP.

ursus arctos horribilis
March 25th, 2013, 02:24 PM
No to both.

2014: FBS transitional, no conference champiosnhip, no bowl unless exception is made like last year (no limit on FCS played but will most likely have full Sun Belt schedule)

First off, GOOD TO SEE YA SLY!

Since this happens prior to June both teams are SOL for any FCS stuff going forward as Slycat said I'm fairly sure.

slycat
March 25th, 2013, 02:25 PM
First off, GOOD TO SEE YA SLY!

Since this happens prior to June both teams are SOL for any FCS stuff going forward as Slycat said I'm fairly sure.

I still lurk. Love the FCS sites. Just need to post more.

ursus arctos horribilis
March 25th, 2013, 02:27 PM
I still lurk. Love the FCS sites. Just need to post more.

You sid it man.

TheRevSFA
March 25th, 2013, 02:28 PM
I do plan to go to App State vs Texas State. I enjoyed tailgating in San Marcos and do like what they have done with the stadium.

NoDak 4 Ever
March 25th, 2013, 02:29 PM
Dont think so. 3 top 10 teams should be ineligible this year, GSU, APP and ODU.

Ironically it could mirror the App State 3 peat period. There was a VERY good NDSU team that was ineligible during that streak.

appstate38
March 25th, 2013, 02:39 PM
Not sure I am gonna like this move at all. My son will be a freshman at App this fall... Just like being a part of the So Con and playing for National titles... not trips to the Go Daddy bowl.

Apphole
March 25th, 2013, 02:41 PM
Not sure I am gonna like this move at all. My son will be a freshman at App this fall... Just like being a part of the So Con and playing for National titles... not trips to the Go Daddy bowl.

Well congrats on being one of the few fans that will be able to experience both.

Apphole
March 25th, 2013, 02:41 PM
FYI, the surge in trafic and registrations from App and GaSo fans has crashed the Sunbelt board....

ASUMountaineer
March 25th, 2013, 02:42 PM

I'm going with Chattanooga, I've always wanted to be a front-runner fan! I mean, they are the three-time defending SoCon champs, and the all-but-guaranteed 2014 National Champions! xnodx

dgtw
March 25th, 2013, 02:53 PM
Congrats to both on the promotion!!!!!!!

This knocks the SoCon down to seven football members. what's their next move?

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 25th, 2013, 02:54 PM
I actually feel bad for these schools. There's nothing exciting about playing FBS football in a conference like that.

ASUMountaineer
March 25th, 2013, 02:56 PM
I actually feel bad for these schools. There's nothing exciting about playing FBS football in a conference like that.

Cool, thanks for the empathy/sympathy!

Lehigh Football Nation
March 25th, 2013, 02:57 PM
Good luck in the Sun Belt. Both App and Georgia Southern.

Apphole
March 25th, 2013, 02:58 PM

Hence the EXPLOSION on MMB, CSNBBS, AGS and Twitter. Nothing exciting at all. These fans are just expressing their dread and bordom about the announcement.

asumike83
March 25th, 2013, 02:59 PM

Football is exciting, regardless of the conference patch on your jersey. I've had a BLAST watching App play in the SoCon but I'd wager that most non-SoCon/FCS fans would say there is nothing exciting about the SoCon. Sympathy not necessary.

walliver
March 25th, 2013, 03:00 PM
No to both.

Conference championship eligibility varies by conference. The CAA had a policy to deny ODU last year. From what I understand, the SoCon has no specific policy for this situation. ASU and GSU are eligible for the conference championship, but not the autobid.

I don't know how either team will have a chance with Chatty and Citadel dominating the league next year so it's a moot point.

IBleedYellow
March 25th, 2013, 03:01 PM

Well that's cool. Their fans find it as an upgrade for them. Go piss in someone else's cherriors. Better yet, go be like Spadola and Tweet about it.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 25th, 2013, 03:04 PM
Wait a minute. With App and Georgia Southern gone, Lehigh could get an at-large with a 10-1 record.

Godspeed.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 25th, 2013, 03:05 PM
Well that's cool. Their fans find it as an upgrade for them. Go piss in someone else's cherriors. Better yet, go be like Spadola and Tweet about it.

Stay classy my friend.

AtlantaMountaineer
March 25th, 2013, 03:06 PM
I will miss playing:

Furman: Always treated well there.
Citadel: Love Charleston
Chattanooga: Easy road trip from Atlanta
Western: A good rivalry
Elon: Good ridance

IBleedYellow
March 25th, 2013, 03:06 PM
Wait a minute. With App and Georgia Southern gone, Lehigh could get an at-large with a 10-1 record.

Godspeed.

Just like Chatty can win the SoCon.

Skjellyfetti
March 25th, 2013, 03:10 PM

Yeah, if only the Patriot League would have extended an invite. :(

theasushow
March 25th, 2013, 03:11 PM
Football is exciting, regardless of the conference patch on your jersey. I've had a BLAST watching App play in the SoCon but I'd wager that most non-SoCon/FCS fans would say there is nothing exciting about the SoCon. Sympathy not necessary.

Now atleast we will no longer be a "Division 2" team...like half of America thinks FCS is. Ofcourse that half may not even realize the SunBelt is a D1 conference.

BEAR
March 25th, 2013, 03:13 PM
Congrats to both teams!

Glad I got to see one of them in person before they left.

Now I can see them both in Jonesboro! xthumbsupx

I'll have to drag some of your fans to some GREAT Arkansas cooking while you're here..and maybe kidnap you and post pics of you on the striped field in Conway. xlolx .

BisonBacker
March 25th, 2013, 03:14 PM
Best of Luck to both. Sorry to see them go but times change.

BisonFan02
Now atleast we will no longer be a "Division 2" team...like half of America thinks FCS is. Ofcourse that half may not even realize the SunBelt is a D1 conference.

Ugh......don't let the door hit you on the way out I guess.

frozennorth
ETA to NDSU's feasibility study?

TheRevSFA
I will miss playing:

Furman: Always treated well there.
Citadel: Love Charleston
Chattanooga: Easy road trip from Atlanta
Western: A good rivalry
Elon: Good ridance

Will you guys give WCU the old mountain jug?? Just so they feel special?

dungeonjoe
March 25th, 2013, 03:15 PM
And thus begins the movement to go back to FCS. LOL

Skjellyfetti
March 25th, 2013, 03:18 PM
not trips to the Go Daddy bowl.

Mobile is a fun little city and the bowl has pretty decent attendance -- around 40k the last couple of years.

We could do a lot worse than New Orleans and Mobile for future bowl tie-ins.

dungeonjoe
Best of luck!

AppAlum2003

Catamount fans don't even really believe there is a real jug. It's more of a "legend" around those parts.

TheRevSFA
March 25th, 2013, 03:19 PM
Catamount fans don't even really believe there is a real jug. It's more of a "legend" around those parts.

So is a winning season.

Hiyoooooooooooooo

BisonFan02
March 25th, 2013, 03:20 PM
So is a winning season.

Hiyoooooooooooooo

Knock knock.......

SoCon2013
March 25th, 2013, 03:20 PM

I'm with you, appstate38. I'm going to miss being able to drive to Wofford, Furman, Elon, WCU, etc. No way I can afford or want to drive or fly to the directional Louisiana schools, etc.

asumike83
March 25th, 2013, 03:23 PM
I will miss all the close games but am still excited about the future.

I am very curious to see if we continue the series with Western. Not sure if they'd be interested in coming to play us as an FBS school or vice versa.

AppMan
March 25th, 2013, 03:29 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/eye-on-college-football/21948304/reports-appalachian-state-georgia-southern-to-join-sun-belt

Hallelujah! I've been fighting this fight since 1982. Relieved it's over. Back in 1985 our AD Jim Garner wrote me a letter telling me to stop my crusade for 1-A "because the big boys will never let it happen." I never gave up on my quest and sadly Mr Garner passed away several years ago. Hopefully the Good Lord will let me live long enough to enjoy this.

SoCon2013
March 25th, 2013, 03:29 PM

A lot, especially when ASU will have to transport 18 or so teams to those venues.

WH49er
March 25th, 2013, 03:30 PM
FYI, the surge in trafic and registrations from App and GaSo fans has crashed the Sunbelt board....

CSNBBS does that on a regular basis. Lots of people talking basketball right now.

ASUMountaineer
March 25th, 2013, 03:34 PM
So is a winning season.

Hiyoooooooooooooo

The Rev is on fire today! xlolx

PaladinFan
March 25th, 2013, 03:34 PM
I will miss all the close games but am still excited about the future.

I am very curious to see if we continue the series with Western. Not sure if they'd be interested in coming to play us as an FBS school or vice versa.

I imagine App can kiss all of its old rivalries good bye. Well, with the exception of GSU I suppose.

ASUG8
March 25th, 2013, 03:37 PM
I imagine App can kiss all of its old rivalries good bye. Well, with the exception of GSU I suppose.

At least we get this year to finish out with some of them. xthumbsupx

knucklehead
March 25th, 2013, 03:38 PM
The Twitter says:

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 5m
App. State & Ga. Southern to Sun Belt in 2015; ineligible for 2013 FCS playoffs, joins Sun Belt in all sports but football in 2014

2015?

GlassOnion
March 25th, 2013, 03:39 PM

You say good bye, we say hello, ECU, Marshall, Troy, WKU, Wake Forest...

AppAlum2003
March 25th, 2013, 03:39 PM
The Rev is on fire today! xlolx

Weird, I thought he liked girls. *shrug*

AppAlum2003
March 25th, 2013, 03:40 PM
CSNBBS does that on a regular basis. Lots of people talking basketball right now.

Why are you even here? Shouldn't you be on your way back home from school? That hour-long commute must be a killer.

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 25th, 2013, 03:41 PM
Yeah, if only the Patriot League would have extended an invite. :(

You do realize I am an alum of an FBS school? Temple has dealt with instability since the early 1990's.

Apphole
March 25th, 2013, 03:41 PM
Why are you even here? Shouldn't you be on your way back home from school? That hour-long commute must be a killer.

Hey man don't be a dick. UNCC fans are cool in my book.

IBleedYellow
March 25th, 2013, 03:44 PM
Alright, time for my real opinion on this matter:

As someone who really enjoys watching the top tier playoff system that is unaffected by bull**** (4 team playoff, my @ss!) I will be very sad to see two programs leave at the same time. Especially two programs with as much history as GSU and App State. I will also miss the fun playoff games that NDSU and GSU have had in the past 2 years. I still remember rocking out at Buffalo Wild Wings before and after. GEORGGGIAAAAA!!!! SOUUUUUTTTHERRRRRNNNN!!!! (For those that understand that, :) ) It hurts the FCS as a whole, but hopefully 2 more programs can step up to fill the void.

I understand why your administrations and fans want to go up to that level. I personally don't want to be in the FBS, YET. I understand why you guys do, so I will respect your decision to want to play with the big boys. Go get 'em. You'll have *most* of an old division cheering for you. Most of the time. ;)

Gringer1
March 25th, 2013, 03:46 PM

I have a family member that attends a BCS school. Most of their students thought FAU was a D2 school when they played a couple seasons ago...

ASUMountaineer
March 25th, 2013, 03:54 PM
Weird, I thought he liked girls. *shrug*

xlolx

ASUMountaineer
March 25th, 2013, 03:55 PM
You do realize I am an alum of an FBS school? Temple has dealt with instability since the early 1990's.

Then why the negative comments towards an FCS school desiring to be at the same level as your alma mater?

Mountaineer
March 25th, 2013, 03:59 PM
Then why the negative comments towards an FCS school desiring to be at the same level as your alma mater?

I wonder if Go Lehigh TU owl would support Temple moving down to the FCS and possible entering into a "more stable" atmosphere?

knucklehead
March 25th, 2013, 04:03 PM
McMurphy's story: http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9097544/appalachian-state-mountaineers-georgia-southern-eagles-join-sun-belt-according-sources

TheRevSFA
March 25th, 2013, 04:05 PM
One year as FCS transition, one year as FBS indy?

AppMan
March 25th, 2013, 04:08 PM
I'm with you, appstate38. I'm going to miss being able to drive to Wofford, Furman, Elon, WCU, etc. No way I can afford or want to drive or fly to the directional Louisiana schools, etc.

Guess we should have stayed in the Carolina's Conference so you could drive to Lenoir Rhyne, Guilford, High Point, Newberry and Catawba. Come on guys it's time to turn the page on the SoCon period and embrace the future.

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 25th, 2013, 04:10 PM

Because they bring nothing to FBS other than further dilution. GSU and APP State aren't doing it compete for national titles etc. GSU will never raise another banner. If there was less competition within their states i'd say go for it. Unfortunately, GSU and App St will never emerge from big brother.

If Temple joined that conference there would be calls to drop the program.

Mountaineer
March 25th, 2013, 04:10 PM
Guess we should have stayed in the Carolina's Conference so you could drive to Lenoir Rhyne, Guilford, High Point, Newberry and Catawba. Come on guys it's time to turn the page on the SoCon period and embrace the future.

Happy for you and the old timers, AppMan, that you finally get to see the goal realized before dying off. :p

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 25th, 2013, 04:12 PM
I wonder if Go Lehigh TU owl would support Temple moving down to the FCS and possible entering into a "more stable" atmosphere?

I'd support dropping the program in order to join a hoops centric conference.

WH49er
March 25th, 2013, 04:13 PM

Graduated 5 years ago but whatever makes you feel better. I might give you a rep point if you come up with an original putdown but that seems a little difficult for you.

Congrats to the App fans who aren't d-bags.

TheRevSFA
March 25th, 2013, 04:14 PM

Given Temple's football history..might not be a bad plan.

AppAlum2003
March 25th, 2013, 04:15 PM
Graduated 5 years ago but whatever makes you feel better. I might give you a rep point if you come up with an original putdown but that seems a little difficult for you.

Congrats to the App fans who aren't d-bags.

Your mom.

Mountaineer
Because they bring nothing to FBS other than further dilution. GSU and APP State aren't doing it compete for national titles etc. GSU will never raise another banner. If there was less competition within their states i'd say go for it. Unfortunately, GSU and App St will never emerge from big brother.

Neither are the other 100+ FBS teams. Too early to determine what App and GSU will and won't be competing for in the future. Or what the conference situation will be like in another five years.

Considering Temple football is something like 130 games below .500 all-time, you should be counting your lucky basketball stars that the football program is even included in a conference. ;)

That's quite possibly the saddest thing I've ever read. xblehx

Saint3333
Hey man don't be a dick. UNCC fans are cool in my book.

They're a lot cooler today than they were last summer. A-holes when they thought App would remain FCS, very friendly today. Funny how that works huh?

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 25th, 2013, 04:20 PM
Given Temple's football history..might not be a bad plan.

Not winning for sure but we've been conference mates with Miami, VTech, Syracuse etc. App State and GSU won't see that. Legitimacy in FBS has nothing to do winning. It's all about who you keep company with.

Waco Kid
Best of luck!

Dear Wofford,

Congratulations on winning the 2013 SoCon Championship!

Your friends,

App State and Ga Southern

AppMan

So did revenues!

WH49er
They're a lot cooler today than they were last summer. A-holes when they thought App would remain FCS, very friendly today. Funny how that works huh?

Yes, the opposite of what some App fans were when we got our CUSA invite. I apologize for showing a little couth and civility to you guys for one day.

Honestly, we are all in the same boat together fighting through the daily garbage of the ACC that forced upon our state.

TheRevSFA
March 25th, 2013, 04:21 PM
Not winning for sure but we've been conference mates with Miami, VTech, Syracuse etc. App State and GSU won't see that. Legitimacy in FBS has nothing to do winning. It's all about who you keep company with.

Yeah and you went to the MAC because you couldn't compete in the old Big East...at least this time you'll have..Tulsa and Houston to compete with?

Smitty
March 25th, 2013, 04:24 PM
Wow does the title really need to be all caps?

chattownmocs
March 25th, 2013, 04:25 PM
Congrats. I know both fanbases, especially App State, wanted it desperately. I think we can all agree that it is about time with all of the nonsense that has been talked over the past several years. Now take your losses and GTFO. There was about to be a new era in this conference with or without you.

proasu89
March 25th, 2013, 04:27 PM
Best of luck!

Thanks DJ! Will root for your version of black and gold in the SoCon and FCS.

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 25th, 2013, 04:28 PM
Yeah and you went to the MAC because you couldn't compete in the old Big East...at least this time you'll have..Tulsa and Houston to compete with?

The MAC was great for Temple football. It was a stable, competitive league that gave us a level of respectability.

If Cincy and Uconn bolt and we are left with Tulsa, SMU, UTEP etc it's time to call it quits. No interest for hoops and certainly not for football.

TheRevSFA
March 25th, 2013, 04:28 PM
Congrats. I know both fanbases, especially App State, wanted it desperately. I think we can all agree that it is about time with all of the nonsense that has been talked over the past several years. Now take your losses and GTFO. There was about to be a new era in this conference with or without you.

Exactly..the era of the Terrier.

AppMan
March 25th, 2013, 04:29 PM
Happy for you and the old timers, AppMan, that you finally get to see the goal realized before dying off. :p

HA! HA! Thanks! It has been long and difficult road.

FargoBison
March 25th, 2013, 04:34 PM
Good luck to both GSU and App State...two great FCS programs and I can't bash their fans for being excited about making this move. Both have done a lot at the FCS level and I look forward to seeing how they do in the FBS.

GreatAppSt
March 25th, 2013, 04:36 PM

xasswhipxxlmaoxxlmaox

It is very a rare thing for Appman to be used like that on a message board. In 15 years I can count on one hand the times I've seen it done.xlolx well played Sir.

xoutofrepx

GATA_Eagles
March 25th, 2013, 04:36 PM
Good luck to both GSU and App State...two great FCS programs and I can't bash their fans for being excited about making this move. Both have done a lot at the FCS level and I look forward to see how they do in the FBS.

The trip up to Fargo this past December gave me a lot of respect for your program. I hope something falls into place and you guys can move up as well. You definitely deserve it

TheRevSFA
March 25th, 2013, 04:37 PM
It's a good thing I already own an App State shirt..I won't be on the App State FBS bandwagon :D

Burn the Horse
March 25th, 2013, 04:38 PM
Just wanted to stop in and say that we in the Sun Belt are very excited to have both App State and Georgia Southern coming on board.

Both programs proved through consistent success that they deserved to join the most prestigious level of college football play. Personally, I believe within 5 seasons both teams will be in contention for the title. Their first few years are going to be tough though.

Welcome to the Sun Belt Conference Eagle and Mountaineer fans. Please come join our home board: http://csnbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=296

BEAR
March 25th, 2013, 04:41 PM
So for the sake of this site...

Remove all non-active members from the list.
Subtract all App fans
Subtract all Georgia Southern fans

Welcome to the Montana board!

Man this place is gonna be DEAD when those fans leave! xlolx

Just kidding but I do think it will empty quite a bit minus those regular posters. Thoughts?

bluehenbillk
March 25th, 2013, 04:41 PM
Good luck to both schools, FCS sadly waters down further.

WataugaDave
March 25th, 2013, 04:46 PM
Well, it's been real y'all.

BEAR
March 25th, 2013, 04:48 PM
I'm gonna miss the yearly hot,hot,hot video rehash.. xlolx

TheRevSFA
March 25th, 2013, 04:48 PM

Subtract all App fans

Just kidding but I do think it will empty quite a bit minus those regular posters. Thoughts?

Wrong school. NDSU, then Sam if they make the playoffs

GAD
March 25th, 2013, 04:50 PM
Congrats ASU & GSU!xthumbsupx

Skjellyfetti
March 25th, 2013, 04:51 PM

Subtract all App fans

The Montana board will be championshipsubdivision.com. This one will be the NDSU board.

boogereagle
March 25th, 2013, 04:53 PM
I've been dreading this day for a while now. Hate the idea of moving to FBS.

TheEagleWay
March 25th, 2013, 04:53 PM
http://images.wikia.com/glee/images/2/2a/Firework_celebrate.gif

GO SBC!!!!!

TheRevSFA
March 25th, 2013, 04:55 PM
Poor sun belt board. They're going to have to deal with the bill o'reilly-esque political rants of Eagle's Cliff

GATA_Eagles
March 25th, 2013, 04:57 PM
I'm gonna miss the yearly hot,hot,hot video rehash.. xlolx

Don't worry, GSU will still take care of that job during hate week.

BEAR
March 25th, 2013, 04:57 PM
I feel sorry for both schools..they get to slum down to the armpit of the state. There's nothing there.
No.
I
mean
NOTHING.
xcoffeex

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4600009704344221&pid=1.7&w=311&h=188&c=7&rs=1

All the buildings are the same freakin' color...tan.

Skjellyfetti
March 25th, 2013, 04:59 PM
I feel sorry for both schools..they get to slum down to the armpit of the state. There's nothing there.
No.
I
mean
NOTHING.
xcoffeex

So, you're saying there's a part of Arkansas with something? ;)

Just kidding. I like the area around Fayetteville a lot

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 25th, 2013, 05:00 PM

I don't believe the App State and GSU fans understand how much politics they'll have deal with from their in-state FBS counterparts. Funding, scheduling, etc. is a completely different animal.

Mountaineer
March 25th, 2013, 05:00 PM
No.
I
mean
NOTHING.
xcoffeex

All the buildings are the same freakin' color...tan.

That's Ark State?! xeekx

Christ, looks more like the zone around Chernobyl.

BEAR
March 25th, 2013, 05:04 PM
So, you're saying there's a part of Arkansas with something? ;)

Just kidding. I like the area around Fayetteville a lot

Yep. Some parts of the state use color in their buildings. xlolx

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7279/7008507647_38deff4858_z.jpg

BEAR
March 25th, 2013, 05:06 PM
That's Ark State?! xeekx

Yep. I know we couldn't hang with them being FBS and all..but the whole town is that way...it is...I drove around it looking for a place to park...

*warning* The cops LOVE to bust people driving around the campus. They are everywhere around the loop. Just a heads up.

Yes, I'm completely jealous.

asumike83
March 25th, 2013, 05:07 PM
I don't believe the App State and GSU fans understand how much politics they'll have deal with from their in-state FBS counterparts. Funding, scheduling, etc. is a completely different animal.

UNC is the flagship, they control the Board of Governors and they make sure everybody knows it, FCS or FBS. It took, almost literally, an act of congress for ECU to get a home game with the Tar Heels.

If you don't think we had to deal with a hell of a lot of politics over the past few decades in terms of funding just to get where we are today, you don't know much about Appalachian. Same song to a slightly different tune and it doesn't stop with athletics.

dbackjon
March 25th, 2013, 05:16 PM
Poor sun belt board. They're going to have to deal with the bill o'reilly-esque political rants of Eagle's Cliff

The Sunbelt board makes Cliff look like Maxine Walters.

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 25th, 2013, 05:18 PM
UNC is the flagship, they control the Board of Governors and they make sure everybody knows it, FCS or FBS. It took, almost literally, an act of congress for ECU to get a home game with the Tar Heels.

If you don't think we had to deal with a hell of a lot of politics over the past few decades in terms of funding just to get where we are today, you don't know much about Appalachian. Same song to a slightly different tune and it doesn't stop with athletics.

Those headaches will only get bigger given the FBS saturation within NC. You're going to go from great facilities relative to your peers to so-so. That will never change. Be prepared to be repressed like never before.

Eagle22
March 25th, 2013, 05:33 PM

Right. We've never had to deal with that before xlolx

Funding in Georgia is already a raise-your-own-$$$ prospect.

About the only true reprieve we have is state-funded Hope grant money, which is an equal opportunity provider assuming you make the grades and were born in a certain time frame.

IBleedYellow
March 25th, 2013, 05:36 PM

Yeah, Wofford is going to run a train through the SoCon year in and year out.

Sidenote: It's so fun watching people try to rain on GSU and App State's parade. Keep on churning. It's popcorn worthy.

Sidenote 2: Bisonville 2 is about to be established here.

WataugaDave
March 25th, 2013, 05:43 PM

I don't know. I don't think it's going to be the best ****ing thing ever like it's being portrayed, but it's definitely awesome to be moving up in the world and it says a lot about the success of both programs. I think there will be a couple transition years that will be hard, and it sucks that free home game tickets are probably gone. But I think we will be competitive in FBS given some time.

Go...gate
March 25th, 2013, 05:49 PM
The only constant in life is change. Best of luck to Appalachian State and Georgia Southern.

dgtw
March 25th, 2013, 05:51 PM
Has anybody been to the website of the guy who wants Appy to stay FCS?

IBleedYellow
March 25th, 2013, 05:58 PM

He shat bricks, had a heartattack, and died.

That or denial.

Saint3333
March 25th, 2013, 06:01 PM
Yes, the opposite of what some App fans were when we got our CUSA invite. I apologize for showing a little couth and civility to you guys for one day.

Honestly, we are all in the same boat together fighting through the daily garbage of the ACC that forced upon our state.

That was my response last year, glad you guys have accepted that one year later.

Apphole
March 25th, 2013, 06:02 PM
Legitimacy in FBS has nothing to do winning.

Oh, THAT'S been Georgia State's strategy this whole time.

Saint3333
March 25th, 2013, 06:03 PM
Right. We've never had to deal with that before xlolx

Funding in Georgia is already a raise-your-own-$$$ prospect.

About the only true reprieve we have is state-funded Hope grant money, which is an equal opportunity provider assuming you make the grades and were born in a certain time frame.

No joke this if anything helps our funding, we've been fighting that battle no matter what level we play at.

NoDak 4 Ever
March 25th, 2013, 06:05 PM
Poor sun belt board. They're going to have to deal with the Alex Jones-esque political rants of Eagle's Cliff

FIFY

McNeese72
March 25th, 2013, 06:07 PM
That's Ark State?! xeekx

Awww, good ole' Jonesboro. McNeese almost crashed a few charter flights getting in and out of there back in the 70's and early 80's.

Also, you can't get there from here (here being Lake Charles, LA).

:)

Doc

GreatAppSt
March 25th, 2013, 07:03 PM
Just one thing I want to get off my chest on this thread.

Dear SoCon Commissioner Imamoronxblehx,

xcoachxYOU'RE FIRED!! MF'er.xsalutex

CID1990
March 25th, 2013, 07:11 PM
Congrats to ASU and GSU!

Do us proud.

We'll continue to provide UTC a way to choke for you.

Sent from the center of the universe.

GSU_Alum08
March 25th, 2013, 07:30 PM
I would like to congratulate Wofford on winning the SoCon title in 2013!

ASU_Fanatic
March 25th, 2013, 07:46 PM
Great news, I just hate seniors like JJ have to play their senior years knowing they can't play in the post season. That sucks! But I mean overall I'm thrilled.

GSU_Alum08
March 25th, 2013, 07:52 PM
Great news, I just hate seniors like JJ have to play their senior years knowing they can't play in the post season. That sucks! But I mean overall I'm thrilled.

yeah, I was talking to a buddy of mine about it today. I really hate it for the seniors. Esp after coming so close the last 2 years, you know they wanted 1 more shot very badly. I hate it for them, but I'm sure they are still thrilled for the program.

eaglesrback
March 25th, 2013, 07:55 PM
FIFY

You better get on the Alex Jones Bandwagon.......

IBleedYellow
March 25th, 2013, 07:58 PM

This is the one downside that I can't seem to find a way to fix. It's like the university was just like. "We're FBS now, thanks for trying at the FCS level." That's it, no more attempts, no rings possible. Finish playing the sport you love.

Now, they could state that they are ushering in a new era of App State or GSU football. Which, is true, I remember talking to our players from D2 to D1 transition. They were proud to start off NDSU football at a high level as we ushered in a new stage of NDSU football.

Two roads: I hope your guys take the latter one.

Thundar
March 25th, 2013, 08:00 PM
How will the GSU and App fans enjoy traveling to Idaho and New Mexico St for conference games? That's a crappy travel schedule

GSU_Alum08
March 25th, 2013, 08:05 PM
How will the GSU and App fans enjoy traveling to Idaho and New Mexico St for conference games? That's a crappy travel schedule

with 12 teams though, we likely would not play them every year.

dungeonjoe
March 25th, 2013, 08:21 PM
Dear Wofford,

Congratulations on winning the 2013 SoCon Championship!

Your friends,

App State and Ga Southern
I think we need to make it retroactive to 2012. xnodx

dgtw
March 25th, 2013, 08:23 PM
This is the one downside that I can't seem to find a way to fix. It's like the university was just like. "We're FBS now, thanks for trying at the FCS level." That's it, no more attempts, no rings possible. Finish playing the sport you love.

Now, they could state that they are ushering in a new era of App State or GSU football. Which, is true, I remember talking to our players from D2 to D1 transition. They were proud to start off NDSU football at a high level as we ushered in a new stage of NDSU football.

Two roads: I hope your guys take the latter one.

Anytime there is a change, there is going to be some group that gets screwed. That sucks for them, but that's life and I'm sure we've all had to be part of a group like that at some point in our lives. You just have to accept it and understand it is (hopefully) for the greater good of the program as a whole.

walliver
March 25th, 2013, 08:24 PM
I would like to congratulate Wofford on winning the SoCon title in 2013!

We've won 4 in the last decade.

GSU_Alum08
March 25th, 2013, 08:27 PM
We've won 4 in the last decade.

and next year will easily be number 5. congrats

walliver
March 25th, 2013, 08:28 PM

That also applies to the rising juniors who will play their senior year as FBS transitional independents, ineligible for the post-season.

Accelerati Incredibilus
March 25th, 2013, 08:29 PM
Congrats to ASU and GSU!

Do us proud.

We'll continue to provide UTC a way to choke for you.

Trips to my favorite city (for the record Boone is a town!) on the planet is the ONLY thing I'll miss in the SoCon. Thank goodness it's only a little over 3 hours from Charlotte to Shem Creek!

walliver
March 25th, 2013, 08:32 PM
and next year will easily be number 5. congrats

I just don't think we can compete with Chatty. Their coach is so awesome and their team is so awesome. Even then we have to get by the Citdog's first. ;)

Apps03
March 25th, 2013, 08:39 PM
Trips to my favorite city (for the record Boone is a town!) on the planet is the ONLY thing I'll miss in the SoCon. Thank goodness it's only a little over 3 hours from Charlotte to Shim Creek!

Its funny, in discussing this with my dad (not an alum but began coming to games while I was a student), this is his comment as well. Shem Creek though

Appaholic
March 25th, 2013, 08:41 PM
I just don't think we can compete with Chatty. Their coach is so awesome and their team is so awesome. Even then we have to get by the Citdog's first. ;)

Word is that citadel is bound for Big South to renew the heated rivalry with VMI. While SoCon commish realizes this is not a banner day for SoCon with their 2 biggest programs leaving, there's also no need to add insult to injury by allowing citadel to stay....

eaglewraith
March 25th, 2013, 08:47 PM

Look at it this way, prevents you guys from going 1 and done again :)

theasushow
March 25th, 2013, 09:18 PM
Obviously the SunBelt isnt a power conference....but don't forget the OOC games this change will bring. The Rock will eventually be hosting ACC and SEC teams for OOC games. I for one will be like a kid on Christmas when our first FBS schedule is released....

TheRevSFA
March 25th, 2013, 09:37 PM
The rock won't be hosting schools like Bama or lsu

But you'll get Marshall and wmu and buffalo and hope against hope temple.

It's a great thing for app and Georgia southern but be realistic on the expectations when it comes to scheduling

WataugaDave
March 25th, 2013, 09:39 PM

I'm facebook friends with him and he hasn't said a damn word about it.

appsfan
March 25th, 2013, 09:48 PM
I'm excited about the move and look forward to future challenges in the Sun Belt and FBS. That said, there have been many good times and memories in the SoCon and FCS. I will miss some of the old schools but when it is time to move on, you move on...

Saint3333
March 25th, 2013, 10:02 PM
Does the SoCon not allow teams leaving to play for championships? CofC played in the bball tourney.

Sandlapper Spike
March 25th, 2013, 10:03 PM
Does the SoCon not allow teams leaving to play for championships? CofC played in the bball tourney.

CofC was eligible for the postseason. GSU and App won't be in football.

Saint3333
March 25th, 2013, 10:17 PM
They will not be eligible for the autobid (football), but that does not mean the SoCon championship.

Southern Bison
March 25th, 2013, 10:21 PM

Now Mike, those are just hateful words...You don't need to suck up to Ursus (or down to Grizo). You are already the AGS Rookie of the Year.

Sandlapper Spike
March 25th, 2013, 10:36 PM
They will not be eligible for the autobid (football), but that does not mean the SoCon championship.

The league champ gets the automatic bid, though, unless ineligible. The league doesn't really have a choice but to make App and GSU ineligible for the championship. Not doing that would be stupid.

Skjellyfetti
March 25th, 2013, 10:39 PM
Hmmm. So Western can finish no worse than 7th in the SoCon next year?

CONGRATS WESTERN!

chrisattsu
March 25th, 2013, 10:55 PM
The rock won't be hosting schools like Bama or lsu

But you'll get Marshall and wmu and buffalo and hope against hope temple.

It's a great thing for app and Georgia southern but be realistic on the expectations when it comes to scheduling

Texas State hosted Texas Tech, Troy has hosted OKState. There is no reason to believe that they can't get a Ole Miss or Maryland to come play at the Rock

Cat79
March 25th, 2013, 10:57 PM

Like Nichols State AD who decided since Texas State had defeated them the last time before Texas State moves to FBS that Nichols State keeps the paddle from the rivalry game between Texas State and Nichols State. What a chump

TheRevSFA
March 25th, 2013, 11:07 PM
Like Nichols State AD who decided since Texas State had defeated them the last time before Texas State moves to FBS that Nichols State keeps the paddle from the rivalry game between Texas State and Nichols State. What a chump

Ha I had forgotten about that

The Cats
March 25th, 2013, 11:11 PM
Sun Belt will grow by four in 2014

The Sun Belt Conference will grow by four members by the end of the week.

The addition of Georgia Southern and Appalachian State – already being reported by multiple outlets – will be announced Wednesday according to sources within the conference. Later in the week, perhaps as early Thursday, it is expected that New Mexico State and Idaho will also join the league beginning in 2014.

Idaho and New Mexico State football will be football-only members. Beginning in 2014, that will give the league 12 members, enough to stage a conference playoff that will be played on the campuses. Georgia Southern and Appalachian State have long been speculated to join the Sun Belt after the league felt the effects of conference realignment.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/dennis-dodd/21949121/sun-belt-will-grow-by-four-in-2014-

Accelerati Incredibilus
March 25th, 2013, 11:24 PM
Its funny, in discussing this with my dad (not an alum but began coming to games while I was a student), this is his comment as well. Shem Creek though

Thanks for pointing out the mistake. In such a state of excitement my fingers lost all control!

CID1990
March 25th, 2013, 11:34 PM
Yeah, Wofford is going to run a train through the SoCon year in and year out.

We'll see about that in Charleston, second week of the season.

Drblankstare
March 25th, 2013, 11:40 PM
Good luck to both schools and their fans. I personally don't see the appeal of making the move, but too each their own.

Grizo406
March 25th, 2013, 11:55 PM
Now Mike, those are just hateful words...You don't need to suck up to Ursus (or down to Grizo). You are already the AGS Rookie of the Year.

Ursus,

I DEMAND you take some kind of action against SB for his personal, insensitive, and demeaning attack on one of the 5' 10" ICONS of AGS...STAT!

Shame on you if you don't!!xblehx

ursus arctos horribilis
March 26th, 2013, 12:42 AM
Ursus,

I DEMAND you take some kind of action against SB for his personal, insensitive, and demeaning attack on one of the 5' 10" ICONS of AGS...STAT!

Shame on you if you don't!!xblehx

Done.xthumbsupx

seantaylor
March 26th, 2013, 01:30 AM
The Sammy Baker legacy keeps getting worse and worse. Tommy Killer is a true guinea.

SpiritCymbal
March 26th, 2013, 01:48 AM

Road games in NM and Idaho once every 3-4 years isn't such a terrible thing. Not ideal, but that has more to do with two terrible football program.

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 26th, 2013, 01:51 AM
Texas State hosted Texas Tech, Troy has hosted OKState. There is no reason to believe that they can't get a Ole Miss or Maryland to come play at the Rock

Didn't Texas Tech come for the grand opening of the renovated stadium?

App St and GSU will get a few BCS bottom feaders to come in every few years.

SpiritCymbal
March 26th, 2013, 01:54 AM

It's 11:55pm Pacific time and there are 222 people on this 1-aa messageboard. There are 617 on the GSU board alone right now.

Yeah...no one is excited about this at all.

SpiritCymbal
March 26th, 2013, 01:55 AM

Agreed. App St. will probably start getting Wake Forest on a home and home on a regular basis I would imagine though. They use to play pretty regularly when ASU was a 1-aa game (obviously always @Wake).

GSU will probably be doing a lot of 2 for 1's for a while.

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 26th, 2013, 01:57 AM
It's 11:55pm Pacific time and there are 222 people on this 1-aa messageboard. There are 617 on the GSU board alone right now.

Yeah...no one is excited about this at all.

Of course, it's a major topic of conversation for the university. It should create a lot of interest/debate.

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 26th, 2013, 02:04 AM
What's going to be interesting is how GSU and App State fans will handle being bottom feaders. Those 9 combined national titled mean nothing, your facilities now "suck", as does your attendance. You are the smallest fish in a great big ocean.

Appstatefan
March 26th, 2013, 02:20 AM
What's going to be interesting is how GSU and App State fans will handle being bottom feaders. Those 9 combined national titled mean nothing, your facilities now "suck", as does your attendance. You are the smallest fish in a great big ocean.

I just made an account to try to understand what you mean by our facilities "suck". If Wikipedia is correct, which I know it can be a very notorious site for being incorrect, we would actually be the #2 home average attendance (~50 short of #1, being Arkansas State). I'm not sure you know what you're talking about if that's what you're referring to. The "smallest fish in a great big ocean" is actually Eastern Michigan, with about ~3000 average. Please look up something before you make claims that we will be the smallest in a bigger subdivision.

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 26th, 2013, 02:24 AM
I just made an account to try to understand what you mean by our facilities "suck". If Wikipedia is correct, which I know it can be a very notorious site for being incorrect, we would actually be the #2 home average attendance (~50 short of #1, being Arkansas State). I'm not sure you know what you're talking about if that's what you're referring to.

Relative to your FBS peers. App State took pride in their attendance. Now you'll be way way at the bottom. The Rock is now judged against Carter-Finley and Keenan, not Washington-Griz.

seantaylor
March 26th, 2013, 03:24 AM
Lehigh is a ish hole program. GSU will be just fine. Meanwhile, Lehigh will fight tooth and nail for Patriot League titles and first round drubbings.

walliver
March 26th, 2013, 06:26 AM
We'll see about that in Charleston, second week of the season.

The streak is so long I've run out of fingers.

boonegoon
March 26th, 2013, 06:29 AM
Bittersweet news in my book. I'm excited about the prospect of eventually seeing Wake,ECU, Michigan (yeah, right) in Boone but also a little bummed about the shortish drives to rivalries. I'm glad that the Montana game is still happening and hope to make that trip. I love the Ga Southern rivalry and am glad that we still have that, would like another natural rival though.

NoDak 4 Ever
March 26th, 2013, 06:41 AM

That happens all the time. UND kept the Nickel Trophy when they stopped playing NDSU. In College Hockey, Michigan Tech kept the annual conference trophy when they left the WCHA. Weird.

dungeonjoe
March 26th, 2013, 06:48 AM
These two schools can carve their own legacy. They are tough competitors and I think they will continue to be so regardless of what team lines up on the other side of the line. The Sunbelt took a chance on them just as the SoCon took a chance on Wofford; it is up to ASU and GSU to step up. I think they will.

Saint3333
March 26th, 2013, 07:05 AM
The league champ gets the automatic bid, though, unless ineligible. The league doesn't really have a choice but to make App and GSU ineligible for the championship. Not doing that would be stupid.

That rule is not currently in place. If App or GSU do finish with the best record in the SoCon those kids will get rings, book it.

TheRevSFA
March 26th, 2013, 07:06 AM

Texas state sold out the stadium for tech, however the Nevada and SFA games didn't exactly show breakout attendance (not a shock for SFA though)

2013 they get Prairie View and Wyoming at home.

My point was that app probably won't get powerhouse acc teams at home. They'll get middle of the road or conference bottom feeders.

He did have a point in another post though, KBS was the cream of the crop in FCS and while it may be one of the better attended stadia in the SBC, it's going to be the little fish in terms FBS overall

AppMan
March 26th, 2013, 07:34 AM
Word is that citadel is bound for Big South to renew the heated rivalry with VMI. While SoCon commish realizes this is not a banner day for SoCon with their 2 biggest programs leaving, there's also no need to add insult to injury by allowing citadel to stay....

SoCon baseball is taking a huge hit. With Charleston, GSU & App all gone it looks like El Cid and Western will pretty much have it to themselves.

BigSouthFB
March 26th, 2013, 07:36 AM
SoCon baseball is taking a huge hit. With Charleston, GSU & App all gone it looks like El Cid and Western will pretty much have it to themselves.

I'm certain the schools the socon adds to replace them will be pretty good in baseball. well one of them. I don't know the other.

ButlerGSU
March 26th, 2013, 07:49 AM

Actually, both App and Georgia Southern will be at the top of the attendance rankings in the Sun Belt.

CID1990
March 26th, 2013, 07:49 AM
The streak is so long I've run out of fingers.

We'll do what we can to give you a reset.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
March 26th, 2013, 08:00 AM
Personally, I am happy that App State and Georgia Southern are moving on to the Sun Belt. From eyeballing the league standings, it appears that Georgia Southern and App have a really good chance to dominate the SBC East. As far as which FCS team I could be pulling for once App leaves, I went to graduate school at Norfolk State (graduated two years ago from there) so they would be a safe bet but I am watching what happens over the next few days in Tennessee related to ETSU as they are on the verge of restarting their football program (with hopefully Phil Fulmer at the helm). Once ETSU restarts their program, I could easily see them in the SoCon (and by that time, ETSU won't be playing in the Dome).

AppMan
March 26th, 2013, 08:01 AM

Our attendance will rank better than 30% of FBS teams and if you think our facilities "suck" compared to a lot of FBS programs you need to take a trip to Boone. While we will no longer be an elite programs of the division we are in, I'd much rather be where we are going than where we have been. Our self esteem is not wrapped up in being the big fish in a small pond. We know what being a little fish in a big pond is all about. We rolled in to Michigan as a guppy but left town as a shark!

AppMan
March 26th, 2013, 08:02 AM
I'm certain the schools the socon adds to replace them will be pretty good in baseball. well one of them. I don't know the other.

And that will be?

AppMan
March 26th, 2013, 08:07 AM
"Great news, I just hate seniors like JJ have to play their senior years knowing they can't play in the post season. That sucks! But I mean overall I'm thrilled."

"yeah, I was talking to a buddy of mine about it today. I really hate it for the seniors. Esp after coming so close the last 2 years, you know they wanted 1 more shot very badly. I hate it for them, but I'm sure they are still thrilled for the program."

We should get together after the season at a neutral site and play our own bowl game!

chattownmocs
March 26th, 2013, 08:09 AM
Appalachian State is 5 or 6 years and Georgia Southern is 15 years too late to make any sort of legitimate mark on the subdivision. They might make a little more money. The fans will see none of it, don't know why they are so giddy that state schools will be bringing in more money. They are going to get thumped on Tuesday nights on national television. They are also going to get thumped on their way out.

NoDak 4 Ever
March 26th, 2013, 08:18 AM
Appalachian State is 5 or 6 years and Georgia Southern is 15 years too late to make any sort of legitimate mark on the subdivision. They might make a little more money. The fans will see none of it, don't know why they are so giddy that state schools will be bringing in more money. They are going to get thumped on Tuesday nights on national television. They are also going to get thumped on their way out.

http://www.straferight.com/forums/attachments/gaming-general/20676d1341209060-amazon-summer-2012-game-sale-joker11_and_here_we_go-s259x194-138013-580.jpg

henfan
March 26th, 2013, 08:18 AM
The very best wishes to App State & GSU fans in the Sun Belt. Your FB teams will add instant credibility to that league and make the SBC that much more competitive. All the very best.

Skjellyfetti
March 26th, 2013, 08:22 AM
Relative to your FBS peers. App State took pride in their attendance. Now you'll be way way at the bottom. The Rock is now judged against Carter-Finley and Keenan, not Washington-Griz.

To help out your analogy -- if we're judged against Carter-Finley and Keenan now... we were judged against Barker-Lane Stadium, Rhodes Stadium, Ernest W. Spangler Stadium, EJ Whitmire Stadium, etc. before.

(how many of those stadia would you have to google to know which school they go with?).

elcid83
March 26th, 2013, 08:24 AM
Best of luck to App. State and Georgia Southern as you move forward. I am glad you are gone.

Go Bulldogs!

Apphole
March 26th, 2013, 08:26 AM
My point was that app probably won't get powerhouse acc teams at home.

What's a powerhouse ACC team?

rokamortis
March 26th, 2013, 08:29 AM

What are you hearing? Prevailing opinion is Mercer and Kennesaw.

BigSouthFB
March 26th, 2013, 08:33 AM
What are you hearing? Prevailing opinion is Mercer and Kennesaw.
Mercer. The second school is up in the air. some say coastal, some say KSU some even say ETSU. my theory is the private schools are going to have to suck it up and take a public school. shoot take all 4 schools and expand. just my 2 cents.

ASUMountaineer
March 26th, 2013, 08:36 AM

Can you explain when GSU and App State emerged from big brother in the past? K, thanks.

rokamortis
March 26th, 2013, 08:36 AM
Mercer. The second school is up in the air. some say coastal, some say KSU some even say ETSU. my theory is the private schools are going to have to suck it up and take a public school. shoot take all 4 schools and expand. just my 2 cents.

Some on the Furman board say VMI ... I know it has tradition but would not be a good add for the SoCon IMO.

pike51
March 26th, 2013, 08:38 AM

Oh... Yes! Let me taste your tears. They are so yummy and sweet! Oh, the tears of unfathomable sadness... Yummy! So yummy!

http://t.qkme.me/3owj1v.jpg

Truth is, you still won't win the SoCon and you still won't make the playoffs. How do I know? Because UTC always finds a way to **** it up. That's who you are, that's what you do. Interesting that instead of being a supporter of 2 SoCon schools making the move and providing great exposure to the SoCon and FCS, you choose to continue to be a douche. Your's is a sad, shameful existence. One day, your mother will kick you out and no longer pay your bills. I hope for your sake, you've grown up by then because otherwise, life in a garbage can will be difficult. At least at WCU they know how to make arts and crafts. The only thing you know is failure. Not much demand for that in the real world.

ASUMountaineer
March 26th, 2013, 08:39 AM

I do appreciate all of the non-App/GSU affiliated folks with such strong opinions about a move to the Sun Belt. xcoffeex

ASUMountaineer
March 26th, 2013, 08:40 AM

The rise of El Cid? Agreed.

pike51
March 26th, 2013, 08:42 AM
Can you explain when GSU and App State emerged from big brother in the past? K, thanks.

Basically, he's saying the only school that no FCS school is moving up to win national championships. Perhaps we should tell that to Boise State, USF, UCF, Marshall, and the others. Maybe we should rethink this and just remain in the status quo.

Jealously runs strong in this one, in him the dark side I feel is strong.

pike51
March 26th, 2013, 08:43 AM
The rise of El Cid? Agreed.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ASUMountaineer again.

TheRevSFA
March 26th, 2013, 08:50 AM
I do appreciate all of the non-App/GSU affiliated folks with such strong opinions about a move to the Sun Belt. xcoffeex

Remember..he's a Temple fan :D

Like I said..make sure you come to San Marcos for the App/Tx State game..I'll make the drive over to tailgate with the Black and Gold...same with the Georgia Southern fans when they come out.

IBleedYellow
March 26th, 2013, 08:52 AM

Isn't it funny how everyone else is trying to tell you it's not what's right for your programs?

Nexus 4

Saint3333
March 26th, 2013, 08:53 AM

Your story has changed quite a bit in the past 60 days. Just a couple of months ago App and GSU had ZERO chance to join the FBS ranks.

I'm only going to ask once more, please come with me to vegas I can make a lot of money with you by my side.

pike51
March 26th, 2013, 08:57 AM
Your story has changed quite a bit in the past 60 days. Just a couple of months ago App and GSU had ZERO chance to join the FBS ranks.

I'm only going to ask once more, please come with me to vegas I can make a lot of money with you by my side.

He was talking about Alabama Southwestern State and Greenville Southern-Poly University.

asumike83
March 26th, 2013, 09:01 AM

No, it isn't. App is not going to be peers with ACC programs just because of the FBS move and nobody expects that. We will be judged against other mid-major FBS programs and in my opinion, we will stack up quite nicely once we have transitioned. We will have our growing pains like everyone but we will be far from the bottom of the FBS programs outside the Big Five.

ASUMountaineer
March 26th, 2013, 09:01 AM
Remember..he's a Temple fan :D

Like I said..make sure you come to San Marcos for the App/Tx State game..I'll make the drive over to tailgate with the Black and Gold...same with the Georgia Southern fans when they come out.

I sure hope to!

ASUMountaineer
March 26th, 2013, 09:02 AM
Isn't it funny how everyone else is trying to tell you it's not what's right for your programs?

Nexus 4

Yeah, I will give just a bit more weight to Ken Peacock's and Charlie Cobb's opinions of what's right for App State over his.

BigSouthFB
March 26th, 2013, 09:02 AM
Some on the Furman board say VMI ... I know it has tradition but would not be a good add for the SoCon IMO.
Have heard that as well. and I agree with you. until VMI makes some progress with athletics I dont think they would do well in the socon.

ASUMountaineer
March 26th, 2013, 09:03 AM

Well, we know how well that prediction has worked the past 3 seasons...xthumbsupx

ASUMountaineer
March 26th, 2013, 09:04 AM

So, we're not judged against our peers that are non-BCS, but we're judged against the ACC? Nice spin. xeyebrowx xcoffeex

walliver
March 26th, 2013, 09:08 AM
Have heard that as well. and I agree with you. until VMI makes some progress with athletics I dont think they would do well in the socon.

VMI left the SoCon to "rebuild" their football program, it didn't work. They are now less competitive than when they left. They add nothing to the SoCon at this point other than a homecoming game for WCU and an easy win for The Citadel.

Sandlapper Spike
March 26th, 2013, 09:10 AM
I've heard mixed reports on VMI and its chances of returning to the SoCon. Not so sure the Keydets will be back.

chattownmocs
March 26th, 2013, 09:12 AM

Lol. I havent really been a part of these discussions. I couldn't care less to be honest. Just a passing comment because this is all anyone on here wants to talk about. Have fun.

walliver
March 26th, 2013, 09:12 AM
What's a powerhouse ACC team?

An ACC team not located in North Carolina.

TheRevSFA
March 26th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Idaho is asking the state board to allow them to go to the Sun Belt...