View Full Version : APPALACHIAN STATE, GEORGIA SOUTHERN TO JOIN SUNBELT...ANNOUNCEMENT WEDNESDAY

Pages : 1 [2]

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
March 26th, 2013, 09:16 AM
The rise of El Cid? Agreed.

Or it could be the rise of ETSU.

chattownmocs
March 26th, 2013, 09:18 AM
It really would be a legitimate argument to say that App State and Georgia Southern, despite moving "up" will now lose any relevance that they had.

knucklehead
March 26th, 2013, 09:21 AM
It really would be a legitimate argument to say that App State and Georgia Southern, despite moving "up" will now lose any relevance that they had.

Lose it, or just take a sabbatical?

asumike83
March 26th, 2013, 09:25 AM
Idaho is asking the state board to allow them to go to the Sun Belt...

Football-only is not that big of a concern. From what I understand, they are looking at NMSU/Idaho as football-only to get to 12 and have a title game. With both of them in the West, App would only be looking a trip to each every 4 years for our biggest revenue sport, which is not a huge deal.

If WKU leaves as expected, I'd be thrilled if JMU were added. An East division of App, GaSo, GaSt, JMU, Troy and South Alabama would be about as good geographically as you can hope for.

However, you do have to kind of laugh at all this crazy realignment. I'd have thought you were a nutjob if you told me 5 years ago that App would ever possibly be in the same football conference as Idaho.

TheRevSFA
March 26th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Football-only is not that big of a concern. From what I understand, they are looking at NMSU/Idaho as football-only to get to 12 and have a title game. With both of them in the West, App would only be looking a trip to each every 4 years for our biggest revenue sport, which is not a huge deal.

If WKU leaves as expected, I'd be thrilled if JMU were added. An East division of App, GaSo, GaSt, JMU, Troy and South Alabama would be about as good geographically as you can hope for.

However, you do have to kind of laugh at all this crazy realignment. I'd have thought you were a nutjob if you told me 5 years ago that App would ever possibly be in the same football conference as Idaho.

Yeah..I kind of think that's putting the cart before the horse though. Travel expenses for those two road trips would be pretty hefty and it's not like it's a road game to a BCS team where you get a payday..

Anyways..I think it'd be better for the SBC to pull up JMU and take NMSU and leave Idaho out.

pike51
March 26th, 2013, 09:40 AM

Except the truth is ANY school at the FBS level has more relevance than ANY school at the FCS level. I argued against it for a long time but the truth is ANY FBS > FCS. The Toilet Bowl gets higher ratings than the FCS title game.

And I LOVE FCS football, but you are wrong.

chattownmocs
March 26th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Except the truth is ANY school at the FBS level has more relevance than ANY school at the FCS level. I argued against it for a long time but the truth is ANY FBS > FCS. The Toilet Bowl gets higher ratings than the FCS title game.

And I LOVE FCS football, but you are wrong.

No. They were relevant in the context of FCS football. They certainly arent in the context of FBS ball. And if you lose, your fan support will show that I'm correct.

pike51
March 26th, 2013, 09:46 AM
No. They were relevant in the context of FCS football. They certainly arent in the context of FBS ball. And if you lose, your fan support will show that I'm correct.

Get over it. This move will only grow support at both schools. Proven FACT!

344Johnson
March 26th, 2013, 09:46 AM
Our attendance will rank better than 30% of FBS teams.

Only if App is any good. What happens if App is a routinely 7-5 type team? Attendance will go down. Fact.

asumike83
March 26th, 2013, 09:56 AM
Only if App is any good. What happens if App is a routinely 7-5 type team? Attendance will go down. Fact.

Just like it has during our last two 8-4 FCS seasons?

The Cats
March 26th, 2013, 09:59 AM
Why continue with all the negative comments against ASU and GSU ?

They are moving to another subdivision, that's what they want. They will either sink or swim, but must live with the decision they've made. I see no reason to bad mouth them on their way out, just as I see no reason for their fans to bad mouth the SoCon or FCS as they leave.

Good Luck to them, and good luck to the SoCon in finding decent replacements. Life will go on.

asumike83
March 26th, 2013, 10:01 AM

They are moving to another subdivision, that's what they want. They will either sink or swim, but must live with the decision they've made. I see no reason to bad mouth them on their way out, just as I see no reason for their fans to bad mouth the SoCon or FCS as they leave.

Good Luck to them, and good luck to the SoCon in finding decent replacements. Life will go on.

Indeed. Mercer, although I was unsure about them at first, would be a nice addition. Very solid hoops and baseball, keeps the SoCon in Georgia and in a good recruiting area for a new football program. I think Coastal would be an excellent second add but doubt that it will happen.

The Moody1
March 26th, 2013, 10:03 AM
Indeed. Mercer, although I was unsure about them at first, would be a nice addition. Very solid hoops and baseball, keeps the SoCon in Georgia and in a good recruiting area for a new football program. I think Coastal would be an excellent second add but doubt that it will happen.

You forgot the number 1 reason. It brings Bobby Lamb back to the Socon.:D

Mattymc727
March 26th, 2013, 10:09 AM
Congrats to both schools! I will be a future supporter of both programs at the next level, if thats even possible....

pike51
March 26th, 2013, 11:03 AM

Very classy right here, like most posters have been. You still sell dream catchers but, maybe ill buy one on my next trip. Lol. I know i wish nothing but continued success for the entire socon and fcs level with the exception of UTC.

Apphole
March 26th, 2013, 11:13 AM

??? You're relevant in the context of the local Subway restaurant staff members, but that doesn't make you Emeril ****ing Lagasse.

Your train of thought is once again fascinating to me.

appmaj
March 26th, 2013, 11:16 AM
An ACC team not located in North Carolina.

Boston College?

BEAR
March 26th, 2013, 11:17 AM
Attention: All Georgia Southern and Appalachian State posters! All national Sunbelt websites are currently accepting sign-ups for future Sunbelt members! Register now!

http://www.mariomayhem.com/fun/mario_fan_fiction/images/register_now.png

Ginsbach
March 26th, 2013, 11:22 AM
As a Bison fan, I'm sad to see two premier FCS programs leave the subdivision especially watching NDSU/Georgia Southern play in the playoffs the past two years. That being said, congratulations on the move up and I wish both teams luck in the future.

asumike83
March 26th, 2013, 11:30 AM
Announcement set for 4PM tomorrow: http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=206931085

Mountaineer
March 26th, 2013, 11:32 AM
Over/under servers lasting 10 minutes with the watch traffic.

Under. xchinscratchx

The Moody1
March 26th, 2013, 11:39 AM
Anyone else having a problem with Yosefs' Cabin? When I try to log in it re-directs me to Facebook. I don't have a Facebook account.

Skjellyfetti
March 26th, 2013, 11:46 AM
We should get together after the season at a neutral site and play our own bowl game!

I really like this idea.

Maybe instead of Georgia Southern, we could work out a "post-season" home and home series with ODU in 2013 and 2014 since neither will be eligible for playoffs or bowl game.

NHwildEcat
March 26th, 2013, 11:47 AM
Boston College?

They are only good at hockey, all other sports suck.

NHwildEcat
March 26th, 2013, 11:49 AM
Best of luck to both programs! I wish them the best and look forward to actually finding them on the TV this upcoming year. People can say what they want about the middle to lower end of the FBS but those games are actually broadcast, it will be nice to see some fresh faces out there!

Jiggs
March 26th, 2013, 11:55 AM
SoCon baseball is taking a huge hit. With Charleston, GSU & App all gone it looks like El Cid and Western will pretty much have it to themselves.

Excuse me.

ASUMountaineer
March 26th, 2013, 11:58 AM

xeyebrowx I find the irony of this statement when speaking about relevance to be funny. Especially considering the source. xlolx

ASUMountaineer
March 26th, 2013, 11:59 AM

Really?

Please, tell us what else you see in your crystal ball. xcoffeex

ASUMountaineer
March 26th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Attention: All Georgia Southern and Appalachian State posters! All national Sunbelt websites are currently accepting sign-ups for future Sunbelt members! Register now!

http://www.mariomayhem.com/fun/mario_fan_fiction/images/register_now.png

Except that UCA need not apply. xnodx

TheRevSFA
March 26th, 2013, 12:03 PM
I hate to say it...UCA would be a good candidate for a SBC school..too bad Sooey and stAte would probably throw a **** fit :D

walliver
March 26th, 2013, 12:14 PM
Best of luck to both programs! I wish them the best and look forward to actually finding them on the TV this upcoming year. People can say what they want about the middle to lower end of the FBS but those games are actually broadcast, it will be nice to see some fresh faces out there!

You won't find them on TV in 2013 (unless you count ESPN3). They will get very limited TV in 2014, most likely when they travel to money games. They won't be lighting up your Thursday nights until 2015.

Bisonator
March 26th, 2013, 12:16 PM
Good luck to App State and Georgia Southern! You're gonna need it! xthumbsupx

Certainly a sad day for FCS. Never a good thing to lose storied programs to the next level. Those games against GSU were unbelievably exciting. Wish we could have played App State before they left. Hopefully we will see App State and GSU on the field again in the future!

Will be interesting to see what happens to the FBS/FCS in the next few years. I think it's best for NDSU to see how the divisions and conferences shake out before making another move. Right now I just don't believe the positives out weigh the negatives. I'm sure that will be different at some point in the future though.

NHwildEcat
March 26th, 2013, 12:16 PM
You won't find them on TV in 2013 (unless you count ESPN3). They will get very limited TV in 2014, most likely when they travel to money games. They won't be lighting up your Thursday nights until 2015.

Better then the TV coverage they were getting in the SoCon.

BR54Niner
March 26th, 2013, 12:21 PM
Will be interesting to see what happens to the FBS/FCS in the next few years. I think it's best for NDSU to see how the divisions and conferences shake out before making another move. Right now I just don't believe the positives out weigh the negatives. I'm sure that will be different at some point in the future though.

Translation: no one wants us and we know it.

Bisonator
March 26th, 2013, 12:25 PM
Translation: no one wants us and we know it.

That's alright. We'll just keep winning championships then! :D

BR54Niner
March 26th, 2013, 12:30 PM
That's alright. We'll just keep winning championships then! :D

Yep, you and UW-Whitewater & Carson-Newman & Grand Valley State. You're all champions (& winners in your mother's heart)!

Waco Kid
March 26th, 2013, 12:40 PM
Appalachian State is 5 or 6 years and Georgia Southern is 15 years too late to make any sort of legitimate mark on the subdivision. They might make a little more money. The fans will see none of it, don't know why they are so giddy that state schools will be bringing in more money. They are going to get thumped on Tuesday nights on national television. They are also going to get thumped on their way out.

That's better than getting your a$$ handed to you every Saturday in near obscurity like UTC has for the past 25 years.

BEAR
March 26th, 2013, 12:49 PM
I hate to say it...UCA would be a good candidate for a SBC school..too bad Sooey and stAte would probably throw a **** fit :D

Don't worry.. the pissant faculty at UCA will stop that from ever happening. Although it would be a great fit for UCA. See the article below:

http://thecabin.net/news/local/2013-03-25/uca-athletics-compromise

NoDak 4 Ever
March 26th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Yep, you and UW-Whitewater & Carson-Newman & Grand Valley State. You're all champions (& winners in your mother's heart)!

Sadly, you do not realize that the inclusion of UNCC decreases the legitimacy of FBS, not adds to it.

ChiefGSU275
March 26th, 2013, 01:14 PM
www.georgiasouthern.edu/journey

cannonballgsu
March 26th, 2013, 01:14 PM
http://youtu.be/dhmGXbyuhmE

Skjellyfetti
March 26th, 2013, 01:15 PM
Wish ours would be open to the public...

CID1990
March 26th, 2013, 01:17 PM

Why are you even here, again?

Will you be here this fall when Chapel Hill in Charlotte is getting whacked by Big South schools? Or UNC Pembroke?

Are you this much of an a$$ over on the FBS boards? Maybe that's why you're here?

So many questions. So many UNCs. Hard to keep them all straight.

ASUMountaineer
March 26th, 2013, 01:30 PM
http://youtu.be/dhmGXbyuhmE

That video is excellent, but the voice-over is horrible.

Saint3333
March 26th, 2013, 01:51 PM
Lol. I havent really been a part of these discussions. I couldn't care less to be honest. Just a passing comment because this is all anyone on here wants to talk about. Have fun.

You do say a lot of crap so I have no doubt you've forgotten about it.

dgtw
March 26th, 2013, 03:26 PM
Will App's wrestling team remain in the SoCon? How will they and Georgia Southern address the Title IX issues of 22 more dudes getting a scholarship?

GATA_Eagles
March 26th, 2013, 03:40 PM
Will App's wrestling team remain in the SoCon? How will they and Georgia Southern address the Title IX issues of 22 more dudes getting a scholarship?

I'm sure Title IX will be addressed as well tomorrow. We've had talks of a women's golf team or rifle team in the past

Eagle22
March 26th, 2013, 03:51 PM
That video is excellent, but the voice-over is horrible.

Yeah, David Lee is terrible. I guess that is why the NFL, CBS, NBC & others have used him xlolx

CID1990
March 26th, 2013, 08:21 PM
I'm sure Title IX will be addressed as well tomorrow. We've had talks of a women's golf team or rifle team in the past

Start rifle. We have the best facility in the NCAA just up the road from you, and in rifle that benefits you. Plus, well have someone new to whoop.

Sent from the center of the universe.

Eagle22
March 26th, 2013, 08:49 PM
Start rifle. We have the best facility in the NCAA just up the road from you, and in rifle that benefits you. Plus, well have someone new to whoop.

Very likely we'll be adding rifle.

We will have a 24,000 sq.ft. facility which will include shooting and archery ranges in addition to other ancillary spaces such as offices, classrooms, and support areas. The outdoor facilities include an Olympic Range, Beginner Range, Broadhead Range, and a 3-D Range.

Scheduled to be done by June 2013.

Baldy
March 26th, 2013, 08:59 PM

We'll see, but our new facility will be at least double the size of yours.

http://savannahnow.com/sports/2012-07-18/gsu-add-shooting-range-campus#.UVJPQlfm9Jk

dgtw
March 26th, 2013, 09:02 PM
I was wondering how the two new members would fit in athletics wise in the Sun Belt, so I looked up what sports everyone sponsors.

Appy does every men's sport the Sun Belt does along with wrestling and soccer. Their women do not swim but the do play field hockey.

Georgia Southern does not have any men's track or cross country, but do play soccer. Their women do every sport the Sun Belt sponsors except golf.

dgtw
March 26th, 2013, 09:11 PM
Very likely we'll be adding rifle.

We will have a 24,000 sq.ft. facility which will include shooting and archery ranges in addition to other ancillary spaces such as offices, classrooms, and support areas. The outdoor facilities include an Olympic Range, Beginner Range, Broadhead Range, and a 3-D Range.

Scheduled to be done by June 2013.

Jax State has a rifle team (and a pretty good one) and rifle is an official OVC sport. Y'all come!!!!

Baldy
March 26th, 2013, 09:18 PM
I was wondering how the two new members would fit in athletics wise in the Sun Belt, so I looked up what sports everyone sponsors.

Appy does every men's sport the Sun Belt does along with wrestling and soccer. Their women do not swim but the do play field hockey.

Georgia Southern does not have any men's track, cross country or golf, but do play soccer. Their women do every sport the Sun Belt sponsors.
GSU does sponsor a pretty good men's golf team. Women's golf will probably be one of the women's sports we will soon offer.

dgtw
March 26th, 2013, 09:38 PM
GSU does sponsor a pretty good men's golf team. Women's golf will probably be one of the women's sports we will soon offer.

sorry about that. Your athletic website only listed having one team and I assumed it was for women. Guess I should have clicked the link that said "roster".

Fixed.

Not that they'd listen to me, but if your looking for Title IX compliance on the cheap (because everyone can't be UTC and have premier women's teams), a good sport to add is sand volleyball. Its a good way to double count scholarships without having to actually sign any new athletes or hire a new coach.

SpiritCymbal
March 26th, 2013, 10:23 PM
Didn't see this posted anywhere yet. Thought it was interesting....

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/writers/infcshuddle/index.htm

End of the FCS as we know it is looming
FCS powers Georgia Southern and Appalachian State are moving up to the FBS level.
Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - Offseasons are supposed to be about optimism, but the offseason in the FCS has been about as ugly as it gets.

On a level of college football that is high on product but short on its identity nationally, the word over the winter that the Big Ten wants to phase out games against FCS schools, perhaps leading to other major conferences to follow suit in the future, was bad enough news as schools try to gain a recruiting foothold and scrap for ways to fund their programs.

But Wednesday's anticipated announcements of the one-two loss of Southern Conference powers Appalachian State and Georgia Southern to the FBS level and a reconfigured Sun Belt Conference is further indication that the idea of being a big fish in a smaller pond isn't good enough today.

The continued shifting landscape of college football still has people spooked into thinking the FCS pond will dry up......

Skjellyfetti
March 26th, 2013, 10:32 PM
Ursus will not approve of the tone of that article. ;)

ursus arctos horribilis
March 27th, 2013, 12:22 AM
Ursus will not approve of the tone of that article. ;)

I don't agree with it. I'm not a big chicken little follower. If others believe it I'm OK with y'all being wrong.

Sorry if I don't fall for your sky is falling shtick but I can see the apple at your feet and giggle at the premise.

IBleedYellow
March 27th, 2013, 01:05 AM
Didn't see this posted anywhere yet. Thought it was interesting....

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/writers/infcshuddle/index.htm

Dear Lord everyone thinks the sky is falling. We get it. I'm trying really hard to be supportive about you guys going to FBS, but day after day of being told "You are **** and dying, we are going to Sun Belt to Live." it makes it hard to not just say make sure the door hits you on the way out. Seems like you all forget where the hell you came from.

CID1990
March 27th, 2013, 07:47 AM
Dear Lord everyone thinks the sky is falling. We get it. I'm trying really hard to be supportive about you guys going to FBS, but day after day of being told "You are **** and dying, we are going to Sun Belt to Live." it makes it hard to not just say make sure the door hits you on the way out. Seems like you all forget where the hell you came from.

This.

Why should ASU or GSU care about what happens to FCS?

Marshall made a better exit.

ASUMountaineer
March 27th, 2013, 08:36 AM
Yeah, David Lee is terrible. I guess that is why the NFL, CBS, NBC & others have used him xlolx

Cool deal. I just though his delivery for that promo was off. Don't like my opinion, oh well. xlolx

asumike83
March 27th, 2013, 08:37 AM
Just listened to the GSU press conference: Benson said that the SBC is planning to start a conference championship game in 2014 and GSU (as well as a "team to be named later") will be eligible for the title and to host the game.

Missing the playoffs in 2013 and not being bowl-eligible in 2014 stings but I am glad that both programs will at least have a conference championship to play for in 2014.

ASUMountaineer
March 27th, 2013, 08:38 AM

That was an article by the FCS reporter for the Sports Network, not an App State fan.

ASUMountaineer
March 27th, 2013, 08:40 AM
This.

Why should ASU or GSU care about what happens to FCS?

Marshall made a better exit.

xrolleyesx So, you've mentioned several times. Many of us have not forgotten where App State came from, and will still follow FCS football. For one, we love sports and especially love football. Is it wrong that I care enough to watch DII and DII? Second, since I started at Appalachian in 1999, I've only seen App State compete in the FCS and SoCon. So, there's a familiarity for me that is strong enough that I care to follow. Deal with it.

kdinva
March 27th, 2013, 10:00 AM
Ga. Southern has announced the move.........

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4580092

App. State to announce later today.......

Still confused a bit as to why GSU is not eligible for the 1-AA playoffs this Fall, but last season ODU was.......

CID1990
March 27th, 2013, 10:13 AM
We'll see, but our new facility will be at least double the size of yours.

http://savannahnow.com/sports/2012-07-18/gsu-add-shooting-range-campus#.UVJPQlfm9Jk

The range itself is all that matters. We don't have the offices, etc in ours. But- size only matters in terms of how many shooters you can have on line at once. I'm sure you guys will have a great facility, but size doesn't matter in rifle; only spectator sports like football.

theasushow
March 27th, 2013, 10:17 AM
I wonder how this will affect recruiting...will ASU continue to recruit the same people they have been recruiting thus far? I would imagine that there will be a change of philoposhy given the fact they are now D1 and will have 22 more scholarships. How much will they raise the athletic standard before offering a scholarship since now they are a D1 school...

eaglesrback
March 27th, 2013, 10:22 AM
I wonder how this will affect recruiting...will ASU continue to recruit the same people they have been recruiting thus far? I would imagine that there will be a change of philoposhy given the fact they are now D1 and will have 22 more scholarships. How much will they raise the athletic standard before offering a scholarship since now they are a D1 school...

App has been div 1 now for quite a while....sorry that issue bugs me..

CID1990
March 27th, 2013, 10:22 AM
xrolleyesx So, you've mentioned several times. Many of us have not forgotten where App State came from, and will still follow FCS football. For one, we love sports and especially love football. Is it wrong that I care enough to watch DII and DII? Second, since I started at Appalachian in 1999, I've only seen App State compete in the FCS and SoCon. So, there's a familiarity for me that is strong enough that I care to follow. Deal with it.

Yes, a lot of you guys post all the negative prognosticating about FCS out of your love for FCS. I call bull. I don't dispute your affinity for FCS football individually, but there's a lot of things being posted by people who have bad mouthed FCS football for some time, so for people to believe that these posts are out of some altruistic bent is a little much.

If you can't see how that kind of stuff is just irritating to most people on here, then you have your head up your butt.

Here's a news flash for you: every single school that today supports a FCS football team will still be fielding football teams in the future. Whether it is called FCS, I-AA, or whatever. If most FCS schools had some kind of FBS inferiority complex, then maybe more people would be worried about FCS. As it is, the only people posting that crap are GSU and ASU fans. No matter what happens to the division, schools like Wofford, El Cid, Furman, Richmond and W&M will still be playing football, and the fans will still come, and we'll still love the game.

GATA_OneMoreTime
March 27th, 2013, 10:23 AM
Ga. Southern has announced the move.........

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4580092

App. State to announce later today.......

Still confused a bit as to why GSU is not eligible for the 1-AA playoffs this Fall, but last season ODU was.......

It has to do with the timing of the official declaration to move up. By declaring June 1st (which GSU intends to do) it will eliminate us from FCS title contention.

NoDak 4 Ever
March 27th, 2013, 10:25 AM

I know, right? Some are already "big-timing". So cute.

theasushow
March 27th, 2013, 10:27 AM

I understand and i apologize, it is a pet peeve of mine as well. I just think when a 18-19 year old says "they want to play D1 football" they are referring to FBS.

ASUMountaineer
March 27th, 2013, 10:30 AM
Yes, a lot of you guys post all the negative prognosticating about FCS out of your love for FCS. I call bull. I don't dispute your affinity for FCS football individually, but there's a lot of things being posted by people who have bad mouthed FCS football for some time, so for people to believe that these posts are out of some altruistic bent is a little much.

If you can't see how that kind of stuff is just irritating to most people on here, then you have your head up your butt.

Here's a news flash for you: every single school that today supports a FCS football team will still be fielding football teams in the future. Whether it is called FCS, I-AA, or whatever. If most FCS schools had some kind of FBS inferiority complex, then maybe more people would be worried about FCS. As it is, the only people posting that crap are GSU and ASU fans. No matter what happens to the division, schools like Wofford, El Cid, Furman, Richmond and W&M will still be playing football, and the fans will still come, and we'll still love the game.

Wait, where did I say that? I simply stated that there are many App State fans that do see the value in FCS football. Quit looking for reasons to piss and moan.

GATA_Eagles
March 27th, 2013, 11:12 AM
If any of you were interested in the press conference and missed it, here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=87JYj0s4NDI

SpiritCymbal
March 27th, 2013, 11:31 AM

ODU decided to delay their transition a year even though they announced their plans last year. ODU and GSU/ASU will be on the same time table in regards to transition years/post-season eligibility.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 27th, 2013, 11:32 AM
ODU decided to delay their transition a year even though they announced their plans last year. ODU and GSU/ASU will be on the same time table in regards to transition years/post-season eligibility.

I think ODU's announcement came too late in the game to change the 2012 football season. This was also true for hoops and other all-sports membership.

AppAlum2003
March 27th, 2013, 11:52 AM
Cool! Fat flutists!

MplsBison
March 27th, 2013, 12:38 PM
[smug guy] Georgia Southern got tired of being sent to Fargo to lose. *sips latte with pink finger raised* [/smug guy]

JDC325
March 27th, 2013, 01:13 PM

Well said and yes it will. I am pleasantly surprised at the overall positive comments on this board. I stopped posting on here mainly due to the over the top negativity on this issue. I find it humorous that a Temple and Chatt fan are giving anyone grief on anything sports related but to each his own.

I can only speak for GSU but it is my opinion that GSU had hit the FCS ceiling. Adding more conference championships, playoff appearances and or NC's was no longer going to significantly benefit the football program, athletic department and or most importantly the university. There are no guarantees in the FBS but the FBS provides the avenues and opportunities for growth and recognition that the FCS just can’t provide plain and simple. Jumping to the Sun Belt is not a big step but getting your foot in the door of the FBS is huge for any school. This is not just a football decision, most folks like our Pres and AD get that, if it was staying would be a no brainer. It is OVERALL what is best for a growing university like GSU not was is just best for the win / loss column. Good luck to all the remaining SoCon schools and thanks to all who have wished us well.

pike51
March 27th, 2013, 01:35 PM
[smug guy] Georgia Southern got tired of being sent to Fargo to lose. *sips latte with pink finger raised* [/smug guy]

FU beaneater! ;)

Pard4Life
March 27th, 2013, 02:43 PM
Good-bye Appy and GSU. Looks like AGS is now going to be dominated by NDSU posters and LFN. xcoffeex

Mountaineer
March 27th, 2013, 02:46 PM
Looks like AGS is now going to be dominated by NDSU posters and LFN. xcoffeex

xlolx I do feel for you chaps in that regard. Especially being stuck with LFN.

But anyone who was here from 2006-08 can attest to how downright obnoxious App fans were as well. Heck, we still do pretty decent in that realm. xthumbsupx

NoDak 4 Ever
March 27th, 2013, 02:58 PM
Good-bye Appy and GSU. Looks like AGS is now going to be dominated by NDSU posters and LFN. xcoffeex

FCS is already dominated by NDSU, why should AGS be any different?

CID1990
March 27th, 2013, 03:01 PM
Wait, where did I say that? I simply stated that there are many App State fans that do see the value in FCS football. Quit looking for reasons to piss and moan.

It really isnt that difficult of a search.

In any thread even remotely related to the ASU-GSU move to FBS, someone (always someone from one of those two schools) posts about or alludes to or links to something about the impending demise of FCS. It's just old, dude. Nobody cares or wants to hear it over and over. Its been said, let's move on.

CID1990
March 27th, 2013, 03:03 PM
xlolx I do feel for you chaps in that regard. Especially being stuck with LFN.

But anyone who was here from 2006-08 can attest to how downright obnoxious App fans were as well. Heck, we still do pretty decent in that realm. xthumbsupx

Actually I didn't think you guys were that bad. You were winning national championships, for crying out loud, you're supposed to crow.

I'd much rather hear that than, "FCS is imploding" all the time ad nauseum.

TheRevSFA
March 27th, 2013, 03:15 PM
Can we get one more hot hot hot?

Lehigh Football Nation
March 27th, 2013, 03:17 PM
FCS is already dominated by LFN, why should AGS be any different?

Fixed it for you, thanks to P4L and a host of App fans. xlolx

IBleedYellow
March 27th, 2013, 03:26 PM

Don't forget me. ;)

No_Skill
March 27th, 2013, 07:04 PM
So when will the programs begin to increase scholarships? Will it be a gradual increase over a few years or all at once?

Also, does anyone know how transfer rules will apply? For example, could a current FBS player transfer to either of these schools next year without having to sit out a year and essentially bypass that rule?

Congrats and best of luck, btw.

SpiritCymbal
March 27th, 2013, 08:58 PM
So when will the programs begin to increase scholarships? Will it be a gradual increase over a few years or all at once?

Also, does anyone know how transfer rules will apply? For example, could a current FBS player transfer to either of these schools next year without having to sit out a year and essentially bypass that rule?

Congrats and best of luck, btw.

The scholarship "increase" is actually a little misunderstood. 1-aa can only offer 63 full scholarships but are allowed to offer partial scholarships to spread those 63 out over 85+ players. In I-A, the 85 scholarships are not allowed to be split. Assuming funding isn't an issue (and it's not), then GSU and ASU won't be adding more "players" per-say to their teams over the next two years. They'll simply be offering full rides to everyone as opposed to partials and that should bring in better talent.

Transfers that happen before this year will be able to play immediately b/c we're still considered a 1-aa team. However, transfers next off-season will have to sit out a year since we'll be considered a I-A team then.

dgtw
March 27th, 2013, 10:05 PM
So will the people now getting a partial be given a full ride right away? In 2013-4?

ngineer
March 27th, 2013, 10:06 PM
Been out of town at NCAA Wrestling Champs and then 'digging out' at work due to my 'neglect', so now to read this is disappointing. Probably great for GSU and ASU, but to lose these guys, imo, hurts the FCS product. I was always hoping we'd be able to get a game in either Statesboro or Boone someday. Best of luck on the new conference, but I wish they were stayin'.

appsfan
March 27th, 2013, 10:20 PM
Yes, in case someone asks, we do have an invite and it is official! FCS has been good to App but there comes a time to move on. Good luck to the FCS and to the SoCon in the future.

Laker
March 27th, 2013, 10:23 PM
Yes, in case someone asks, we do have an invite and it is official! FCS has been good to App but there comes a time to move on. Good luck to the FCS and to the SoCon in the future.

I saw the official announcement for GA Southern but not App State. My computer was down for several hours. Anyone know when the Idaho & NM State to Sunbelt for football will be announced?

There is a lot of speculation on the D2 board who might move up to FCS to be replacements.

Mountaineer
March 27th, 2013, 10:28 PM
I saw the official announcement for GA Southern but not App State. My computer was down for several hours. Anyone know when the Idaho & NM State to Sunbelt for football will be announced?

There is a lot of speculation on the D2 board who might move up to FCS to be replacements.

It was announced earlier this evening.

http://www.sunbeltsports.org/General/Article/tabid/1069//Article/19996/Title/idaho-and-new-mexico-state-to-join-sun-belt-conference-as-football-members-in-2.aspx

There will be 12 teams for 2014 and a first ever conference championship game (which App and GS will be eligible for).

dgtw
March 28th, 2013, 06:49 AM
I thought y'all weren't bowl eligible until 2015. If you win the Sun Belt championship, will you get to go to whatever bowl game the champ goes to?

Laker
March 28th, 2013, 07:47 AM
It was announced earlier this evening.

http://www.sunbeltsports.org/General/Article/tabid/1069//Article/19996/Title/idaho-and-new-mexico-state-to-join-sun-belt-conference-as-football-members-in-2.aspx

There will be 12 teams for 2014 and a first ever conference championship game (which App and GS will be eligible for).

Thanks, Mountaineer!

GlassOnion
March 28th, 2013, 08:27 AM
Been out of town at NCAA Wrestling Champs and then 'digging out' at work due to my 'neglect', so now to read this is disappointing. Probably great for GSU and ASU, but to lose these guys, imo, hurts the FCS product. I was always hoping we'd be able to get a game in either Statesboro or Boone someday. Best of luck on the new conference, but I wish they were stayin'.

I have always wanted App to play up at Lehigh. I love the area, and its where my dad grew up. It would have been a prime matchup for us.

Thanks for the well wishes, and good luck to your Mountain Hawks.

ASUMountaineer
March 28th, 2013, 08:50 AM
It really isnt that difficult of a search.

In any thread even remotely related to the ASU-GSU move to FBS, someone (always someone from one of those two schools) posts about or alludes to or links to something about the impending demise of FCS. It's just old, dude. Nobody cares or wants to hear it over and over. Its been said, let's move on.

And there are many who don't post about, allude to, or link to something about the impending demise of the FCS. I would have never thought that a cadet could be so easily offended, and would continuously whine about it. xsmhx

ASUMountaineer
March 28th, 2013, 08:52 AM
I thought y'all weren't bowl eligible until 2015. If you win the Sun Belt championship, will you get to go to whatever bowl game the champ goes to?

No. In 2014 we'll be eligible for the Sun Belt championship, but will not be bowl eligible.

dgtw
March 28th, 2013, 08:58 AM
If you win your division, will they let you play in the championship game? I could see the NCAA giving you a wavier if one of you wins the league.

GlassOnion
March 28th, 2013, 09:03 AM
If you win your division, will they let you play in the championship game? I could see the NCAA giving you a wavier if one of you wins the league.

You'd hope so. The NCAA loves cinderella stories like that, anything is possible.

pike51
March 28th, 2013, 02:08 PM
No. In 2014 we'll be eligible for the Sun Belt championship, but will not be bowl eligible.

Unless the NCAA grants a special waiver as they decided they would do for someone last year.

ASUMountaineer
March 28th, 2013, 02:46 PM
Unless the NCAA grants a special waiver as they decided they would do for someone last year.

Yeah, they could do that. However, I believe it was based on there not being enough fully FBS programs being bowl eligible. Given that, in this scenario, App State/GSU may receive a waiver simply by the champions of an FBS conference. With that being said, that's getting way ahead of ourselves...winning the conference will be very difficult during and after the transition.

dgtw
March 28th, 2013, 03:15 PM
I think the winner of the Georgia Southern/App State game in 2014 has a decent chance to win the Eastern Division. South Alabama and Georgia State are new programs and Troy has struggled the last few years. Then if Western Kentucky bolts to C-USA, you could have another FCS call-up on the schedule.

ursus arctos horribilis
March 28th, 2013, 04:33 PM
And there are many who don't post about, allude to, or link to something about the impending demise of the FCS. I would have never thought that a cadet could be so easily offended, and would continuously whine about it. xsmhx

The odd thing to me is that it's not you it is aimed at, that's pretty clear. We know you, what you believe, etc. and often have to put things in posts like "not including ASUM, etc." and you are still picking up the baton as if it were you that was being addressed...at least that's what it appears you've been doing the last couple of months.

No need to keep defending things that you are not saying ASUM, we know it's not you.xthumbsupx

ursus arctos horribilis
March 28th, 2013, 04:36 PM
You'd hope so. The NCAA loves cinderella stories like that, anything is possible.

I think it's up to the SBC and not the NcAA as far as that goes isn't it?

It's not an NCAA championship so I don't think they have the final say on that and they have no power over keeping App/GSU out of bowl games since they are already ineligible anyway right?

Skjellyfetti
March 28th, 2013, 04:55 PM
I think it's up to the SBC and not the NcAA as far as that goes isn't it?

It's not an NCAA championship so I don't think they have the final say on that and they have no power over keeping App/GSU out of bowl games since they are already ineligible anyway right?

It's definitely the NCAA who grants bowl waivers and determines bowl eligibility.

NCAA granted Georgia Tech a bowl waiver last year despite a 6-7 season.

Edit. Just looked up the particular bylaw for ****s and giggles.

18.7.2.2.2 Waiver for Conference Champion. [FBS] The Leadership Council, by a two-thirds majority of its members present and voting, or a committee designated by the Leadership Council, may approve a waiver of the definition of a “deserving team,” to enable a conference champion to participate in a
bowl game when the conference champion is scheduled contractually to participate in the game.
http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/D112.pdf

ursus arctos horribilis
March 28th, 2013, 05:21 PM
It's definitely the NCAA who grants bowl waivers and determines bowl eligibility.

NCAA granted Georgia Tech a bowl waiver last year despite a 6-7 season.

Edit. Just looked up the particular bylaw for ****s and giggles.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/D112.pdf

I thought the topic was the SBC championship and not the bowl so my mistake. I was talking only about that but if it's a matter of a waiver for a bowl then it makes more sense now.

EmeryZach
March 29th, 2013, 07:46 AM
I apologize if this was already mentioned. I'm hearing rumors coming out of James Madison that the Sun Belt has been calling.

dgtw
March 30th, 2013, 02:10 PM
http://www.bgdailynews.com/sports/western-kentucky-to-announce-move-to-conference-usa/article_2ccca37c-9946-11e2-a994-0019bb2963f4.html

Western Kentucky is announcing a move to C-USA on Monday,most likely replacing Tulsa.

So what will the Sun Belt do now to keep their new championship game? They could offer NMSU full membership or else recruit another FCS school.

asucrutch23
March 30th, 2013, 02:25 PM
http://www.bgdailynews.com/sports/western-kentucky-to-announce-move-to-conference-usa/article_2ccca37c-9946-11e2-a994-0019bb2963f4.html

Western Kentucky is announcing a move to C-USA on Monday,most likely replacing Tulsa.

So what will the Sun Belt do now to keep their new championship game? They could offer NMSU full membership or else recruit another FCS school.

Giving NMSU full membership would still leave 11 football members. There has to be another FCS add to keep 12 now that WKU is gone. I sure hope it's JMU.

Sandlapper Spike
March 30th, 2013, 02:37 PM
I think the question may be whether or not JMU is willing to move to the Sun Belt now or wants to wait on a potential MAC invite. It looks like CUSA is not an option, at least not now.

ASUMountaineer
April 1st, 2013, 10:58 AM
The odd thing to me is that it's not you it is aimed at, that's pretty clear. We know you, what you believe, etc. and often have to put things in posts like "not including ASUM, etc." and you are still picking up the baton as if it were you that was being addressed...at least that's what it appears you've been doing the last couple of months.

No need to keep defending things that you are not saying ASUM, we know it's not you.xthumbsupx

I know, I'm just trying to fill in "anti-generalization" void left my the Cap'n. Perhaps I'll just start posting this xflaggedx when CID says, "all App State fans..." xlolx

I also just try to point out that there are some of us that support App State's move to the Sun Belt, and still look fondly at the FCS. I have enjoyed following FCS, and will continue to do so.

TheRevSFA
April 1st, 2013, 11:10 AM

JMU.

If not JMU then probably someone like Lamar, but I think JMU would give App State a travel partner for basketball and such.

BEAR
April 1st, 2013, 12:57 PM
So that would make the Sunbelch the newest FCS FBS hybrid conference in the eyes of other FBS conferences.

Just look at the teams if they went:

Sept 6 Liberty
Sept 13 James Madison
Sept 20 Georgia Southern
Sept 27 Idaho
Oct 4 New Mexico State
Oct 11- App State
Oct 18 Texas State
etc...

Nope, don't see Sunbelch teams jumping ship then....xlolx Ark. State fans are already begging for another conference.

ASUMountaineer
April 1st, 2013, 02:31 PM
So that would make the Sunbelch the newest FCS FBS hybrid conference in the eyes of other FBS conferences.

Sept 6 Liberty
Sept 13 James Madison
Sept 20 Georgia Southern
Sept 27 Idaho
Oct 4 New Mexico State
Oct 11- App State
Oct 18 Texas State
etc...

Nope, don't see Sunbelch teams jumping ship then....xlolx Ark. State fans are already begging for another conference.

xrolleyesx Come up with something original.

MplsBison
April 1st, 2013, 04:12 PM

Sept 6 Liberty
Sept 13 James Madison
Sept 20 Georgia Southern
Sept 27 Idaho
Oct 4 New Mexico State
Oct 11- App State
Oct 18 Texas State
etc...

Let em beg - where are they gonna go?

BEAR
April 1st, 2013, 05:36 PM
Let em beg - where are they gonna go?

CUSA?

Accelerati Incredibilus
April 1st, 2013, 07:17 PM
Bring in Jax State for everything, JMU and Liberty for football, UNCW and Charleston for basketball & all other sports. Eastern Football Division of App, Ga So, Ga St, Jax St, JMU, Liberty, Troy. Western Football Division of Ark St, Idaho, NMSU, S Al, Texas St ULL & ULM. Six games in each division 3 home, 3 away - 1 home and 1 away from other division for 8 conf games. Eastern Basketball Division of App, Charleston, Ga So, Ga St, Jax St, Troy & UNCW. Western Basketball & All Other Sports Division of Ark St, Ark LR, So Al, Texas Arlington, Texas St, ULL & ULM. Each team in own division twice for 12 games, 1 game against each team for opposing division for 19 games. Top 4 teams from each division make tournaments.

MplsBison
April 1st, 2013, 08:20 PM
CUSA?

Nope. No more spots...for now.

walliver
April 2nd, 2013, 02:37 PM
With ASU, GSU, and ODU starting their transitions this summer and in eligible for the playoffs, will these 3 teams be eligible for the AGS poll this fall?

ursus arctos horribilis
April 2nd, 2013, 02:39 PM
With ASU, GSU, and ODU starting their transitions this summer and in eligible for the playoffs, will these 3 teams be eligible for the AGS poll this fall?

Unfortunately they will not be.

walliver
April 2nd, 2013, 03:55 PM
Unfortunately they will not be.

I have mixed emotions about that. I know they have higher scholarship limits and it wouldn't be fair to rank them, but it will be strange to see a Top 25 without GSU or ASU in it.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 2nd, 2013, 04:00 PM
I have mixed emotions about that. I know they have higher scholarship limits and it wouldn't be fair to rank them, but it will be strange to see a Top 25 without GSU or ASU in it.

it sure will.

MplsBison
April 2nd, 2013, 07:55 PM
NDSU was the #1 FCS team in 2006 and 2007. NDSU fans, alumni, players and coaches knew it in their hearts, even though the system rejected them.

So too will GSU and ASU know their rightful places next season.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 2nd, 2013, 11:01 PM
I guess it's an unintended circumstance that more people can be happy then so that is good news I suppose.xthumbsupx

NHwildEcat
April 3rd, 2013, 08:31 AM
The way schools keep moving up, UNH's streak in the top 25 poll is firmly in place.

Accelerati Incredibilus
April 3rd, 2013, 04:07 PM

Don't believe we'll have any more scholarship players for the 2013 season unless we begin taking transfers. As our AD said. if we "win" the conference the school will hoist a banner and buy rings for the players. Unlike what some may say I think the guys have plenty to play for.

wkuhillhound
July 28th, 2013, 03:26 PM
Congrats to Appalachian State and Georgia Southern on making the leap to the Sun Belt. I was skeptical about Western's move to FBS, but overall the university has been much better for it. I have confidence that both universities will also be better for it also. Defeating Kentucky last season was a watershed moment as it marked progress from the start of their transition. Western Kentucky experienced MASSIVE growing pains, but now the Toppers are near the top of Sun Belt and hopefully will be winning their first championship on their way out to Conference USA next season. WKU is on the edge of being perennial bowl partiers and I loved it. I just wished that the Toppers would have won their 1st bowl game in school history. I guess I can't get everythat that I want. Once again, congratulations.

GAD
July 28th, 2013, 06:32 PM
Congrats to Appalachian State and Georgia Southern on making the leap to the Sun Belt. I was skeptical about Western's move to FBS, but overall the university has been much better for it. I have confidence that both universities will also be better for it also. Defeating Kentucky last season was a watershed moment as it marked progress from the start of their transition. Western Kentucky experienced MASSIVE growing pains, but now the Toppers are near the top of Sun Belt and hopefully will be winning their first championship on their way out to Conference USA next season. WKU is on the edge of being perennial bowl partiers and I loved it. I just wished that the Toppers would have won their 1st bowl game in school history. I guess I can't get everythat that I want. Once again, congratulations.

Great to see you back Hound, ASU & GSU will both do great things in the FBS I am very proud of both for achieving there goal.
ODU also

hopefully I can catch them in New Orleans or Lafayette

paward
July 28th, 2013, 09:14 PM
It's appropriate that I watched the 2009 Richmond/AppState playoff game this morning on my DVR. So many memories. I'll miss the playoffs, but excited about our current direction.

Does this mean you will now be a Richmond FCS fan? We could use some love from App State fan base. Sure did want to get another shot at meeting you all on the way to promise land. It was just not going to be. Good Luck and I will make sure I come to see you all when you come the Georgia Dome.

Mr. C
July 29th, 2013, 04:25 AM
FCS championships are won on the playing field, not by conjecture. NDSU was ineligible for the playoffs because it had players on its roster that would have been ineligible for scholarships at the D-I level. That is why the transition rules are in place. Ask South Dakota State who the best team was in 2007. I don't think the Jackrabbits would have picked the Bison.

ASUMountaineer
July 29th, 2013, 12:57 PM
FCS championships are won on the playing field, not by conjecture. NDSU was ineligible for the playoffs because it had players on its roster that would have been ineligible for scholarships at the D-I level. That is why the transition rules are in place. Ask South Dakota State who the best team was in 2007. I don't think the Jackrabbits would have picked the Bison.

Whoa, was this in response to anything or just something you've been dying to say?

MplsBison
July 29th, 2013, 01:30 PM
The following is a false statement: "NDSU was ineligible for the playoffs because it had players on its roster that would have been ineligible for scholarships at the D-I level."

That is the point of the rule, but none of NDSU's seniors on the 2007 team (the last class under restriction) would've been ineligible under Division I requirements.

CID1990
July 29th, 2013, 01:44 PM
xpopcornx

Cleets
July 29th, 2013, 02:34 PM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/tumblr_ljh0puClWT1qfkt17.gif