PDA

View Full Version : George Mason Leaving CAA

DFW HOYA
March 24th, 2013, 07:29 PM
The college realignment carousel continues. Does the CAA go after a football school?

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/24/report-george-mason-to-announce-move-to-atlantic-10-monday/

danefan
March 24th, 2013, 07:34 PM
Stony Brook? Maybe an Albany and SBU package?

A lot to think about though. The CAA isn't the same bball league it was two years ago.

Seawolf97
March 24th, 2013, 07:43 PM
The CAA seems to be faling a part. Towson announced recently they were dropping Baseball and Mens soccer. No Stonybrook may want to stay where they are for now. We will find a new home one of these dyas.

Saint3333
March 24th, 2013, 07:43 PM
Will this pressure JMU to make a move?

danefan
March 24th, 2013, 07:46 PM
The CAA seems to be faling a part. Towson announced recently they were dropping Baseball and Mens soccer. No Stonybrook may want to stay where they are for now. We will find a new home one of these dyas.

I wish the large football playing FCS schools in the east would sit down at a table and think about whether it makes sense to be split between the America East, CAA and A10.

walliver
March 24th, 2013, 07:52 PM
The CAA is getting the College of Charleston.

And I would be happy to throw in UNC-G, too. ;)

Seawolf97
March 24th, 2013, 08:20 PM
I wish the large football playing FCS schools in the east would sit down at a table and think about whether it makes sense to be split between the America East, CAA and A10.

It would be worth a shot.Forgot also the Hostra's mens hoops is now in shambles much like Binghamton was. Keep our football in the CAA-find a conference or create a conference with lax and go fron there. Until then play it safe in the America East which is looking bettereveryday.

danefan
March 24th, 2013, 08:21 PM
It would be worth a shot.Forgot also the Hostra's mens hoops is now in shambles much like Binghamton was. Keep our football in the CAA-find a conference or create a conference with lax and go fron there. Until then play it safe in the America East which is looking bettereveryday.

AEast isn't looking better. It's just not looking worse.

Kind of sad actually.

GannonFan
March 24th, 2013, 09:39 PM
Will this pressure JMU to make a move?

Well, if anything, it will probably force JMU fans to get their own message board - the CAA Zone was setup and run by Mason guys - I'd imagine they wouldn't stick around to run a message board for a conference they no longer play in.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 24th, 2013, 09:43 PM
At 11 full members, they need a 12th full member, and a football school makes sense. But who? Monmouth, CCSU and Wagner don't fit the "15,000 seat stadium to get in the door" model of membership. No PL school does, either. They already have the AE schools as associate members in football.

I wonder.... Elon?

Saint3333
March 24th, 2013, 09:55 PM
The CAA was a multiple bid bball league but now I'm not so sure. Before the flux of bball powers I could see SoCon schools leaving, but now the increased travel expenses and drop off in baseball will make the decision tougher. That is unless they don't like the future of the Socon should things proceed as planned.

downbythebeach
March 24th, 2013, 10:38 PM
Does the CAA get NEC/MAAC/AEC teams or do the CAA teams jump for other conferences?

If I am Albany/SBU there is no way I am leaving the AEC to go play with Northeastern, Hofstra, and Drexel. If they really want to play them then ask them to join the AEC.

bandit
March 24th, 2013, 11:16 PM
I think the CAA would be a definite upgrade for Stony Brook and Albany, no question about it. The brand means a lot, and the history of the league. But this move puts several schools in an interesting spot. JMU most of all. Their fans are going to be in an uproar over the state of the CAA, especially if App State and Ga Southern go to the Sun Belt as expected. JMU needs to decide on trying to make a play for the MAC or Sun Belt, and whichever direction they go it wouldn't surprise me if Delaware followed along. They could work with Delaware in a 12-team Sun Belt FB league, or they could work with Delaware and UMASS in the MAC for FB.

As for the CAA, College of Charleston just moved from the Southern and the league they were joining is now going to be completely different than what they signed up for. Davidson already said no. So where does the CAA turn? There aren't any options that can replace a GMU. The CAA is getting hammered in realignment.

The Cats
March 24th, 2013, 11:23 PM
The CAA is getting the College of Charleston.

And I would be happy to throw in UNC-G, too. ;)

After all, CofC is the "saviors of the SoCon", so they will "save" the CAA too.

seantaylor
March 25th, 2013, 01:46 AM
CofC is screwed. That conference is going to be worse in bball than the Socon, as in just about every other sport. Still can't fathom why a football conference(Socon and CAA) would take a school that doesn't fund football. Seems as if every member would be pretty pissed off come bball season due to the advantage of throwing all the eggs in one basket. Don't really have to worry about that with CofC because they never win anything on the hard court.

henfan
March 25th, 2013, 08:18 AM
The CAA's TV deal with NBCSports still puts it out ahead of conferences like the SoCon, AEC and PL.

I'd be very surprised if the league didn't extend all-sport offers to both SUNY schools and possibly Elon. If they don't, other schools like JMU and UD may be the next to depart.

danefan
March 25th, 2013, 08:41 AM
The CAA's TV deal with NBCSports still puts it out ahead of conferences like the SoCon, AEC and PL.

I'd be very surprised if the league didn't extend all-sport offers to both SUNY schools and possibly Elon. If they don't, other schools like JMU and UD may be the next to depart.

The TV deal is the key to this IMO. How long is that contract for?

henfan
March 25th, 2013, 08:58 AM
The TV deal is the key to this IMO. How long is that contract for?

4 more years.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 25th, 2013, 09:19 AM
The problem with inviting the AE schools is they have the milk for free already (football), so why buy the cow (all-sports membership) when they already play a regional-enough conference in all the non-money sports and basketball?

This is why I keep going back to Elon. The trouble is Elon doesn't offer much in basketball.

henfan
March 25th, 2013, 09:31 AM
The problem with inviting the AE schools is they have the milk for free already (football), so why buy the cow (all-sports membership) when they already play a regional-enough conference in all the non-money sports and basketball?

This is why I keep going back to Elon. The trouble is Elon doesn't offer much in basketball.

Aside from a better TV deal? The CAA is still a competitive upgrade over the AEC for most sports, would allow provide wider exposure to SBU & UA and would allow those schools to play all sports in a single conference. Chances are high that they will NEVER do that as members of the AEC.

Liberty or Elon?

Lehigh Football Nation
March 25th, 2013, 09:50 AM
Aside from a better TV deal? The CAA is still a competitive upgrade over the AEC for most sports, would allow provide wider exposure to SBU & UA and would allow those schools to play all sports in a single conference. Chances are high that they will NEVER do that as members of the AEC.

Liberty or Elon?

Stony Brook and Albany already have that, supposedly, as a part of "CAA Football". As for Liberty, TV isn't their biggest concern. They are nationwide already.

henfan
March 25th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Stony Brook and Albany already have that, supposedly, as a part of "CAA Football". As for Liberty, TV isn't their biggest concern. They are nationwide already.

Yeah, see how much air time SBU and UA FB get on NBCSports. FB coverage has tended to favor all-sport members. The non-CAA FB schools have been relegated to Comcast Sportsnet.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 25th, 2013, 10:18 AM
Yeah, see how much air time SBU and UA FB get on NBCSports...

... and then SBU, UNH, Maine, and Albany break off and form a new football league under another banner. Then what does the CAA do?

henfan
March 25th, 2013, 10:30 AM
... and then SBU, UNH, Maine, and Albany break off and form a new football league under another banner. Then what does the CAA do?

Chuck, I'm telling what the current media practice is for the league, not some hypothetical fantasy. The CAA's media deal with NBC & Comcast is something that existed prior to the SUNY's joining the league. They'll well aware of what sort of coverage to expect for their FB programs.

The AEC schools have nowhere else to go with their FB programs because:

1) they don't have enough members to form their own league
2) they have no national media deal and wouldn't have a shot at landing one in markets like Orono, Durham, Albany, Stony Brook and where else?

superman7515
March 25th, 2013, 10:37 AM
http://www.welovetheiraqiinformationminister.com/images/07-minister.jpg

Don't worry Delaware fans, the CAA is absolutely fine. James Madison is not going anywhere. You will not find yourself playing in a league with Longwood, UMBC, and Norfolk State. The Campbell Camel infidels are nowhere to be seen.

WH49er
March 25th, 2013, 10:41 AM
The CAA was a multiple bid bball league but now I'm not so sure. Before the flux of bball powers I could see SoCon schools leaving, but now the increased travel expenses and drop off in baseball will make the decision tougher. That is unless they don't like the future of the Socon should things proceed as planned.

With VCU and ODU....yes but after they left it became a one-bid league, now it may become worse than the SoCon.

danefan
March 25th, 2013, 10:43 AM
4 more years.

NCAA will look entirely different in 4 years. The CAA TV deal is enough for me to sign up for the CAA over the AEast. I wish the CAA would just take Albany, SBU Maine and UNH to bring all the football playing schools out of the AEast. I know it won't happen, but it would be nice from a football standpoint.

bluehenbillk
March 25th, 2013, 10:44 AM
I won't miss Mason or their football team.

superman7515
March 25th, 2013, 10:45 AM
The CAA TV deal is enough for me to sign up for the CAA over the AEast.

No it isn't, LFN said so. Can't you read?

Laker
March 25th, 2013, 10:46 AM
I won't miss Mason or their football team.

I still miss Vermont's football team.

danefan
March 25th, 2013, 10:47 AM

Oh jeez - how come I didn't see that.

The only way Albany is getting a home football game on NBC TV is as a full member of the CAA all-sports conference. The only way Albany is getting regular season national TV exposure more than once a year for basketball is in the CAA.

The one negative of the CAA for Albany is that I can almost guarantee it will mean a cut to a sport like baseball. Those resources will likely need to be redirected towards other sports. I have no issue with that, but I'm probably in the minority of Albany fans.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 25th, 2013, 10:56 AM
NCAA will look entirely different in 4 years. The CAA TV deal is enough for me to sign up for the CAA over the AEast.

Yeah, see how much air time SBU and UA FB get on NBCSports.

Wasn't me.

henfan
March 25th, 2013, 11:02 AM
Wasn't me.

Well, you did ponder if the lack of FB coverage on NBCSports would be reason enough for SBU and UA to leave CAA FB and for the AEC to start its own FB league, which is completely ridiculous.

Accelerati Incredibilus
March 25th, 2013, 11:13 AM
Hearing UNCW is considering at move to the SoCon. If that happens Charleston may back out and JMU will have to make a decision.

aceinthehole
March 25th, 2013, 11:29 AM
The CAA's advantages over other "peer" leagues are increased exposure (NBC/Comcast coverage) and increased revenue (NCAA credits and exit fees). I find it hard to see any current hoops schools going to another conference (SoCon, MAAC, AE, etc). I think the football schools only leave for a FBS opportunity.

However, UA or SBU to the CAA is not a slam dunk at this point. I also think hoping Davidson changes their mind to join the CAA isn't something I would be too confident in happening.

Bottom line, the CAA will survive - maybe that means adding the Davidson, SUNYs, Liberty, Coastal, Elon, or whoever. More info will shake out after a few more questions are answered - will Siena get invited to the A-10? Will App State get the FBS call? The CAA and SoCon will be in a battle for some teams, and the AE will be involved as well.

The leagues that have to worry about survival right now is the NEC and Big South.

aceinthehole
March 25th, 2013, 11:37 AM
With word that App State and Georgia Southern are leaving the SoCon for the Sun Bet (FBS), I would imagine the SoCon is more at risk than the AE right now.

Any thoughts? How would you rank the top-10 candidates for the CAA?

DFW HOYA
March 25th, 2013, 12:10 PM
With word that App State and Georgia Southern are leaving the SoCon for the Sun Bet (FBS), I would imagine the SoCon is more at risk than the AE right now.

Lehigh? (only half serious)

walliver
March 25th, 2013, 12:31 PM

The SoCon is still the dominant football conference in it's region. Elon is the biggest flight risk for a CAA move, but would still be a geographic outlier in football. We've all known that the hillbillies and crackers were leaving - they've been complaining for years.

With ODU out and JMU possibly on the launching pad, the CAA is not particularly geographically attractive to any southern football school, with the possible exceptions of Elon and Liberty. And, for most southern schools, increased travel expenses would eat up any TV revenue.

ASUMountaineer
March 25th, 2013, 12:49 PM
The SoCon is still the dominant football conference in it's region. Elon is the biggest flight risk for a CAA move, but would still be a geographic outlier in football. We've all known that the hillbillies and crackers were leaving - they've been complaining for years.

With ODU out and JMU possibly on the launching pad, the CAA is not particularly geographically attractive to any southern football school, with the possible exceptions of Elon and Liberty. And, for most southern schools, increased travel expenses would eat up any TV revenue.

If there's any credence to the UNCW rumors about considering a move to the SoCon, I think you could see CofC revert course, and Elon stay the course. Of course...we all know about rumors.

The Cats
March 25th, 2013, 12:51 PM
And, for most southern schools, increased travel expenses would eat up any TV revenue.

There is no TV revenue from the NBC sports network deal. With all the changes in the CAA, there may not be a NBC deal much longer, I'm sure they have an "out" clause in that contract.

Dane96
March 25th, 2013, 12:53 PM
This is a revenue neutral deal; Football should be protected as long as the same school are in the league. If JMU and UD leave the fooball conference (or one of those plus W&M and Nova to the PL) then you have a potential issue.

Dane96
March 25th, 2013, 12:54 PM
If there's any credence to the UNCW rumors about considering a move to the SoCon, I think you could see CofC revert course, and Elon stay the course. Of course...we all know about rumors.

Rumor has it that UNC-W is **** out of luck; the SoCon only wants all sports. SMART BY THE SoCon.

ASUMountaineer
March 25th, 2013, 01:00 PM
Rumor has it that UNC-W is **** out of luck; the SoCon only wants all sports. SMART BY THE SoCon.

I think that is smart by the SoCon too.

JMUNJ08
March 25th, 2013, 01:36 PM
My head hurts... JMU is definitely left holding the bag at the moment. But, really, what is better for us? MAC and Sunbelt are two conferences where we would be HUGE outliers. Conference USA is not much better but a rivalry with ODU is all I ask for at the moment! Plus, someone to do something within our administration :)