PDA

View Full Version : Andy Petek joins Tigercats

polsongrizz
April 13th, 2005, 08:39 PM
Andy Petek, Montana’s second all-time sack leader, put his professional boxing career on hold April 1 to sign with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats of Ontario in the Canadian Football League.

The 27-year-old former Grizzly defensive end earned a spot in a professional boxing match by winning a boxing tournament in Spokane, Wash., the same week he signed with the Tiger-Cats. For now, boxing can wait.

Petek signed a two-year contract with the Tiger-Cats and will report to preseason camp May 28.

“It feels damn good,” Petek said about signing. “In all honesty I thought that I was just going to be stuck in the arena league for a few more years, just having fun with it but not really going anywhere.”

Petek has played for an Arena Football League team in Billings and an NFL Europe team in Germany since graduating from the University of Montana in 2000. Neither team competes at the level of the CFL. Although Petek signed a contract, he still has to be selected for the 40-player roster during camp. Dan Hoven, Petek’s agent, said he couldn’t say how much money Petek will earn.

mlbowl
April 14th, 2005, 07:10 AM
pg, didn't Andy also win a tough man competition?

ForShizzleGrizzle
April 15th, 2005, 09:29 AM
Yes I believe it was in 2001 in Butte. Rumor has it he knocked out every guy he faced in the first round. He just went 14-0 and won a boxing competition that was the focus to a documentary called "Butte, the making of a heavyweight contender." He earned a chance to fight in a professional bout. I still believe he is a linebacker at heart though and would love to play that spot again. I wish all the best for him. He is a great guy. GO GRIZ!!!

mlbowl
April 15th, 2005, 10:15 AM
Yes I believe it was in 2001 in Butte. Rumor has it he knocked out every guy he faced in the first round. He just went 14-0 and won a boxing competition that was the focus to a documentary called "Butte, the making of a heavyweight contender." He earned a chance to fight in a professional bout. I still believe he is a linebacker at heart though and would love to play that spot again. I wish all the best for him. He is a great guy. GO GRIZ!!!

Thanks ForShizzle. I'm a little curious about the Butte documentary, was the competition held there? I know Andy's a Helena High grad.

ForShizzleGrizzle
April 15th, 2005, 11:04 AM
It was started in Butte but they had fights all over the state Billings, Butte, Bozeman and Helena that I know of for sure it spanned over three months. The finals were on April 2nd. The man that was in charge of it all stated that they will have to edit the footage and hopefully someone will buy it sometime later this year.

mlbowl
April 15th, 2005, 11:18 AM
It was started in Butte but they had fights all over the state Billings, Butte, Bozeman and Helena that I know of for sure it spanned over three months. The finals were on April 2nd. The man that was in charge of it all stated that they will have to edit the footage and hopefully someone will buy it sometime later this year.

Thanks again. I was reading about them on egriz but I don't go to egriz nearly as often as AGS.

Kill'em
April 20th, 2005, 09:59 PM
i only saw him play once but he showed me something.