March 20th, 2013, 08:33 AM
xthumbsupxMake it happen!

SpeedkingATL
March 20th, 2013, 08:50 AM
Extremely well done.

IBleedYellow
March 20th, 2013, 10:18 AM
Looked good. Now for the invite.

I feel like the University doesn't need to sell it's fans on this move anymore? They've stated they are going? Or am I wrong right now?

One other thing. That new stadium looks top notch!

Apphole
March 20th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Every thing in that video is awesome except the lame bus pun. Otherwise, very well produced and compelling video. I really wish App would come out with something similar. Or be the least bit transparent.

As kindred as App and GaSo are to each other in this process, the admins sure do have opposite strategies as far as communication goes. I'm tired of crickets from the top of the Mountain...

The Moody1
March 20th, 2013, 10:59 AM
the admins sure do have opposite strategies as far as communication goes. I'm tired of crickets from the top of the Mountain...

App admin was a lot more vocal about a year ago. That strategy didn't work out too well.

IBleedYellow
March 20th, 2013, 11:14 AM
I will say, GSU's Administration seems to feel very confident about an incoming invite. If they build all of this hype up, then get passed over, they will lose all of the Alumni that they are winning over with videos like this and the current subject matter they are producing. I personally hope you guys get that invite, since it is what you guys want, and clearly what your Administration thinks is best for your university. Sooner rather than later wil save your butts not only with current fans, but also alumni who aren't currently sold on the idea.

One other thing: Your guys tradition with the yellow buses is pretty sweet. I like how your administration is wanting to keep that tradition going even when it's time you guys start playing with the Big Boys. If you are a GSU fan, you better get on that damn bus, your team is inviting you on a very cool tradition in college football.

Saint3333
March 20th, 2013, 12:39 PM
Every thing in that video is awesome except the lame bus pun. Otherwise, very well produced and compelling video. I really wish App would come out with something similar. Or be the least bit transparent.

As kindred as App and GaSo are to each other in this process, the admins sure do have opposite strategies as far as communication goes. I'm tired of crickets from the top of the Mountain...

Did you miss this: http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=206277060&SPID=12805&SPSID=104441

App is doing what it needs to do behind the scenes and working with FBS ADs and presidents.

eaglewraith
March 20th, 2013, 12:40 PM
Every thing in that video is awesome except the lame bus pun.

One other thing: Your guys tradition with the yellow buses is pretty sweet. I like how your administration is wanting to keep that tradition going even when it's time you guys start playing with the Big Boys. If you are a GSU fan, you better get on that damn bus, your team is inviting you on a very cool tradition in college football.

The bus analogy is one that cuts to the core of who we are. It was all we could afford to get the team to the stadium back in the day, Statesboro sold the school 2 buses for $1 each. We're a blue collar team that has done what we've done in the past mainly because we're willing to work harder and longer than anyone. They have become a symbol of who we are just like the option. Brian Vandumbass tried to get rid of them in 2006 and he was almost killed before the season began. That's how big of a deal it is.

I love the fact that Dr Keel is asking everyone if they're on the bus.

Apphole
March 20th, 2013, 12:41 PM
Did you miss this: http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=206277060&SPID=12805&SPSID=104441

App is doing what it needs to do behind the scenes and working with FBS ADs and presidents.

I post that link on message boards once a week, of course I've seen it. It was the first an only of its kind though and it's more of an institutional wish list than a bonifide public App-to-FBS cry.

eaglewraith
March 20th, 2013, 12:43 PM
Looked good. Now for the invite.

I feel like the University doesn't need to sell it's fans on this move anymore? They've stated they are going? Or am I wrong right now?

One other thing. That new stadium looks top notch!

A lot of the old guard (those around since the program started, mainly in the immediate Statesboro vicinity) don't want things to change. The cliche that Kleinlein used, the big fish in the small pond, is literally how many of these people think. They are comfortable where we are and don't want it to grow "big." A lot of these people have an FBS team they support as well, so they don't want to split loyalties any more than they currently are. So yes, there's still a lot of selling to be done.

It doesn't change the fact that the administration is pushing to go FBS. They just want to make sure everyone's issues with it are addressed, and Kleinlein in particular doesn't want to make anyone feel left out.

eaglewraith
March 20th, 2013, 12:44 PM
I post that link on message boards once a week, of course I've seen it. It was the first an only of its kind though and it's more of an institutional wish list than a bonifide public App-to-FBS cry.

Trust me, I'm still trying to get used to all this openness after 16 years of Sam Baker.

Saint3333
March 20th, 2013, 01:31 PM

I see it more of a sales pitch to FBS conferences, it was provided to them last fall.

IBleedYellow
March 20th, 2013, 03:18 PM
The bus analogy is one that cuts to the core of who we are. It was all we could afford to get the team to the stadium back in the day, Statesboro sold the school 2 buses for $1 each. We're a blue collar team that has done what we've done in the past mainly because we're willing to work harder and longer than anyone. They have become a symbol of who we are just like the option. Brian Vandumbass tried to get rid of them in 2006 and he was almost killed before the season began. That's how big of a deal it is.

I love the fact that Dr Keel is asking everyone if they're on the bus.

I know the tradition. Which is why I'm saying it's awesome that your AD and President are saying they want YOU the fans on the bus, even if only figuratively, and monetarily

eaglewraith
March 20th, 2013, 04:00 PM
I know the tradition. Which is why I'm saying it's awesome that your AD and President are saying they want YOU the fans on the bus, even if only figuratively, and monetarily

I know. I was mainly educating Apphole as to why his opinion was stupid :)

Just used your support of it as well.

seantaylor
March 21st, 2013, 03:45 AM
Breath of fresh air. We still have some rubes opposed to this, but they aren't real GSU fans despite their level of giving. Our main problem is the good ole boy rednecks that root for thUGA first and foremost. They absolutely hate that we are going to be on the same level with them(division and scholarship wise) and their true colors will shine through. Sammy Baker harvested this train of though. Tommy K has driven a spike in that heart, and is continuing to hammer it in deeper. This is the tactic that has to shine through.

The biggest misnomer that you will see on GSUfans is that we don't want to alienate any potential fan. Just the opposite. We want to identify that fan at the core, and humiliate and abhor that from the fan base.

So far, job well done.

Saint3333
March 21st, 2013, 07:45 AM
"but they aren't real GSU fans despite their level of giving"

Those $5k a year donors aren't fans??? Don't bite the hand.

PAllen
March 21st, 2013, 09:23 AM
First off, I'm not opposed at all to teams moving up. I wish them the best of luck in that pursuit as long as they don't denigrate where they came/are coming from along the way. I don't think ASU or GSU have done that at all and I applaud their aspirations.

That said, when watching the video, one thought kept coming to mind. What happens in 10 years when the BCS conferences have forced another striation of D-I. Do we end up with a new D-IA made up of the BCS folks, D-IAA with the FBS also-rans (sunbelt, MAC etc), and D-IAAA with everyone else? If so, how long before the D-IAAA schools that are serious about football move up, much like the D-IA/D-IAA/D-II moves of the late 70s and early 80s? Once that happens, we're right back to where we were 15 years ago only with different names. How will these programs feel about having spent a ton of money only to end up right back in the same place. At least some of the schools will have much nicer stadiums for the effort.

IBleedYellow
March 21st, 2013, 10:00 AM
First off, I'm not opposed at all to teams moving up. I wish them the best of luck in that pursuit as long as they don't denigrate where they came/are coming from along the way. I don't think ASU or GSU have done that at all and I applaud their aspirations.

That said, when watching the video, one thought kept coming to mind. What happens in 10 years when the BCS conferences have forced another striation of D-I. Do we end up with a new D-IA made up of the BCS folks, D-IAA with the FBS also-rans (sunbelt, MAC etc), and D-IAAA with everyone else? If so, how long before the D-IAAA schools that are serious about football move up, much like the D-IA/D-IAA/D-II moves of the late 70s and early 80s? Once that happens, we're right back to where we were 15 years ago only with different names. How will these programs feel about having spent a ton of money only to end up right back in the same place. At least some of the schools will have much nicer stadiums for the effort.

Every Bison fans worst nightmare. We do not want to get stuck at D2 again.

Nexus 4

GlassOnion
March 21st, 2013, 10:06 AM
What happens in 10 years when the BCS conferences have forced another striation of D-I. Do we end up with a new D-IA made up of the BCS folks, D-IAA with the FBS also-rans (sunbelt, MAC etc), and D-IAAA with everyone else? If so, how long before the D-IAAA schools that are serious about football move up, much like the D-IA/D-IAA/D-II moves of the late 70s and early 80s? Once that happens, we're right back to where we were 15 years ago only with different names. How will these programs feel about having spent a ton of money only to end up right back in the same place. At least some of the schools will have much nicer stadiums for the effort.

I doubt all the 1-aa and FBS are in the same striation. Even in what some consider the "lowly" SunBelt, you'd have to pry the extra 22 scholarships from their cold dead fingers. A few top FCS teams will likely get into the 85 scholarship division, like JMU, Jax St, UM, MSU, but the the smaller FCS teams that cant or wont pony up to 85 schollarships and some decent facilities will probably get folded down.

henfan
March 21st, 2013, 10:16 AM
A lot of the old guard (those around since the program started, mainly in the immediate Statesboro vicinity) don't want things to change. The cliche that Kleinlein used, the big fish in the small pond, is literally how many of these people think. They are comfortable where we are and don't want it to grow "big."

A lot of parallels between some of the GSU and Delaware fanbases in this regard. Those who claim to be cautious/conservative given the uncertain state of D-I are just as much (if not more) in fear of change.

Best of luck to GSU.

CID1990
March 21st, 2013, 10:37 AM
I will say, GSU's Administration seems to feel very confident about an incoming invite. If they build all of this hype up, then get passed over, they will lose all of the Alumni that they are winning over with videos like this and the current subject matter they are producing. I personally hope you guys get that invite, since it is what you guys want, and clearly what your Administration thinks is best for your university. Sooner rather than later wil save your butts not only with current fans, but also alumni who aren't currently sold on the idea.

Yeah I've always liked GSU's school bus meme.

We like to joke about how the buses have bars on the windows, but still a great tradition. It reminds me a little of the Ramblin Wreck.

Sent from the center of the universe.

rbostic278
March 21st, 2013, 12:06 PM
A lot of parallels between some of the GSU and Delaware fanbases in this regard. Those who claim to be cautious/conservative given the uncertain state of D-I are just as much (if not more) in fear of change.

Best of luck to GSU.

That's the case that some of the fanbase does not want to move up and are scare but it's not just the fans in Statesboro and the surrounding counties. I always find it funny how people that don't live in Statesboro always seem to pin whatever happens negetive for GaSo on the locals. And this is not directed towards you HenFan. I also find it equally humorous that people think that the local community wakes up and goes to bed with GaSo on their mind. Believe me when I tell you that this is not true. Yes the community fully supports GaSo but the relationship could and should be better. I think Dr. Keel and TK are trying to re-connect with the local community and for that I am greatful. But for GaSo the prosper we need more than just Statesboro to get onboard. We need Sav, Macon, Augusta, Jacksonville, and ATL. Not sure while people think GaSo fans only live in Statesboro we are all over the state of Georgia parts of FL and SC.

Another think that's funny is this notion that our fanbase and attendance will not increase when we move up. Looking at the recent move up in the 20 years this would disspell that argument. We can go this it will take the whole eagle nation not just the locals in Statesboro.

Eagle22
March 21st, 2013, 12:08 PM

The very simple answer to this is that this is not just about sports and a conference home. There is underlying untapped economic development, centered around the Port of Savannah. That is coming to this part of Georgia whether or not the folks in Statesboro are on board. The Board of Regents picked Dr. Keel based in part of his vision in positioning Georgia Southern to be a vital cog in the growth of that economic engine. He had an excellent track record of doing exactly that at LSU. Interestingly enough, Dr. Keel was one of the finalists for the Georgia State job just a year prior. I suspect the Board of Regents felt his talents would be better suited for the needs in Statesboro. Another finalist for our job eventually was hired at Western Carolina. He was a pianist from Furman, so I think he probably wasn't suited too well for us xlolx

There have been many, major improvements in his three years at the helm that will undoubtedly benefit both the University and the region. Georgia Southern has a well regarded Logistics program that is a natural fit with a lot of what is happening in that part of the state.

ursus arctos horribilis
March 21st, 2013, 12:11 PM
"but they aren't real GSU fans despite their level of giving"

Those $5k a year donors aren't fans??? Don't bite the hand.

I've never known the dude to be real sharp. He's emotional but beyond that...

Once you peel away those fans that do like where they are at they are not necessarily replaced at anything more than a one for one ratio so it would really help to have those guys around when it comes to butts in seats, donations, etc.

EKU-n-GSU
March 21st, 2013, 12:19 PM
The very simple answer to this is that this is not just about sports and a conference home. There is underlying untapped economic development, centered around the Port of Savannah. That is coming to this part of Georgia whether or not the folks in Statesboro are on board. The Board of Regents picked Dr. Keel based in part of his vision in positioning Georgia Southern to be a vital cog in the growth of that economic engine. He had an excellent track record of doing exactly that at LSU. Interestingly enough, Dr. Keel was one of the finalists for the Georgia State job just a year prior. I suspect the Board of Regents felt his talents would be better suited for the needs in Statesboro. Another finalist for our job eventually was hired at Western Carolina. He was a pianist from Furman, so I think he probably wasn't suited too well for us xlolx

There have been many, major improvements in his three years at the helm that will undoubtedly benefit both the University and the region. Georgia Southern has a well regarded Logistics program that is a natural fit with a lot of what is happening in that part of the state.

I'm in the logistics/supply chain biz and we have several on our staff (here in Atlanta) who have graduated from Georgia Southern's Logistics program; all of them are very sharp, well-educated associates. And you're spot on about the growth of logistics in the area and what impact GSU could have not only in the logistics field but in environmental impact/engineering, civil/infrastructure engineering, community planning and development, etc. All of this activity will be/is coming to the Savannah area already; if they can get the green light to deepen the port for larger container ships Savannah will become the 2nd or 3rd most-capable port on the SE seaboard and a lot of growth will come with it. Statesboro/GSU only stands to benefit from that growth, and I can't imagine why any 'local' university wouldn't want to be at the forefront of that surge.

PAllen
March 21st, 2013, 12:42 PM
I doubt all the 1-aa and FBS are in the same striation. Even in what some consider the "lowly" SunBelt, you'd have to pry the extra 22 scholarships from their cold dead fingers. A few top FCS teams will likely get into the 85 scholarship division, like JMU, Jax St, UM, MSU, but the the smaller FCS teams that cant or wont pony up to 85 schollarships and some decent facilities will probably get folded down.

I completely agree initially. But you can bet the Ivies will push for inclusion as well. How many years does it take for Delaware, Lehigh, etc to follow along?

Again, I'm glad you guys are investing time, energy, and money into something you feel is good for your university and community. That's exactly what should be happening. But to those who think GSU is going to be on par with LSU anytime in the next three decades, well, that just ain't gonna happen. I think Georgia Southern's success story ends up somewhere between Marshall and East Carolina, not Boise State and LSU as some are promoting.

ursus arctos horribilis
March 21st, 2013, 12:55 PM
Every Bison fans worst nightmare. We do not want to get stuck at D2 again.

Nexus 4

When things do shake out NDSU is gonna at whatever level App, GSU, Montana, Delaware, etc. are at so I don't see where it's gonna be any different. Nobody is moving backwards even if that is what some fans want to think unless they are an FCS school that really probably shouldn't be FCS anyway. NDSU is not one of those.

Eagle22
March 21st, 2013, 01:50 PM
I completely agree initially. But you can bet the Ivies will push for inclusion as well. How many years does it take for Delaware, Lehigh, etc to follow along?

Again, I'm glad you guys are investing time, energy, and money into something you feel is good for your university and community. That's exactly what should be happening. But to those who think GSU is going to be on par with LSU anytime in the next three decades, well, that just ain't gonna happen. I think Georgia Southern's success story ends up somewhere between Marshall and East Carolina, not Boise State and LSU as some are promoting.

I hope you didn't read my post to suggest that we were somehow gonna replicate LSU :D. I may be optimistic, but I'm not that far out of touch with reality :)

I was only referencing Dr. Keel's experience in attracting new money and research opportunities while he was there.

I do think we can be at the level of East Carolina, Marshall, etc over time in regards to mission. There is a void in that part of the state, for higher education.

I received my undegrad at Southern, then got another degree at the Medical College of Georgia and just finished up my MBA a year ago at Mercer. All three have specific missions within the state, and none of them really overlap, and outside of Atlanta and Athens there is very little on tap for the rest of the state at the higher levels. If there is one thing that the Board of Regents has done correctly, is they have spent a fair amount of time trying not to duplicate services and dilute resources. Even though MCG and Mercer both have medical schools, they don't encroach on each other very much. Ironically, the private program (Mercer) is co-funded with Georgia state money to help fill physician needs in rural Georgia.

Georgia Southern will likely never get a med school or law school, but Dr. Keel was able to get the Engineering program on board and also has done a tremendous job in attracting clinical research that will tie in nicely with the excellent Nursing, Informatics and Public Health programs that the school has developed. The school is definitely on the upswing.

SpiritCymbal
March 21st, 2013, 04:13 PM

I think you'll find that there are several GSU fans that are at least aware that some of this might happen within the next 10-15 years. A move now to I-A is also a preemptive strike should college football find itself splitting again with BCS being the new I-A, FBS being the new 1-aa and 1-aa becoming the new D2. Worst case scenario, GSU will have secured it's place in the new 2nd tier without having to "start" a movement in 10-15 years. It'll be more cost efficient to make the move now than to start working towards the same end result in 10-15 years.

Who knows...with any kind of success in I-A over the next 10-15 years, perhaps GSU will be in a position to have a chance to move into "the new I-A" level of football. Is it likely or probable? Not really. But there's a 0% chance of have a chance of moving into that top tier of football 15 years from now if you're still in the 3rd level.

Skjellyfetti
March 21st, 2013, 04:44 PM
Nobody is moving backwards even if that is what some fans want to think unless they are an FCS school that really probably shouldn't be FCS anyway.

Maybe.

That's an assumption -- an assumption that I would not be comfortable making if I were in the administration of a potentially affected university.

It assumes that if a new split formed... that FCS conferences would just "move up" whole and intact - that upper level FCS conference would "move up" together (SoCon, CAA, MVFC, Big Sky, etc.). But, There will be programs in those conferences that would be against such a move and would not want to fund 20 more scholarships.

What would the new conferences look like?

It's taking a mighty big chance to say "Oh well. If things happen it 10 years... it will all work out for us. No need to do anything about it now."

I think it make much more sense to position yourself the best you can and I think adding 20 more scholarships to your program (if you can fund it) and joining an FBS conference is proactive and best positions yourself for the future. xtwocentsx

Eaglesrus
March 21st, 2013, 05:51 PM

I think you'll find that there are several GSU fans that are at least aware that some of this might happen within the next 10-15 years. A move now to I-A is also a preemptive strike should college football find itself splitting again with BCS being the new I-A, FBS being the new 1-aa and 1-aa becoming the new D2. Worst case scenario, GSU will have secured it's place in the new 2nd tier without having to "start" a movement in 10-15 years. It'll be more cost efficient to make the move now than to start working towards the same end result in 10-15 years.

Who knows...with any kind of success in I-A over the next 10-15 years, perhaps GSU will be in a position to have a chance to move into "the new I-A" level of football. Is it likely or probable? Not really. But there's a 0% chance of have a chance of moving into that top tier of football 15 years from now if you're still in the 3rd level.

Our athletic director has been saying this and it is pretty much the final straw that convinced me that we have to do all we can to make the move ASAP.

IBleedYellow
March 21st, 2013, 05:56 PM
When things do shake out NDSU is gonna at whatever level App, GSU, Montana, Delaware, etc. are at so I don't see where it's gonna be any different. Nobody is moving backwards even if that is what some fans want to think unless they are an FCS school that really probably shouldn't be FCS anyway. NDSU is not one of those.

As long as it doesn't take us 15 years to catch up....again.

But I would agree with you on that. The Montanas, App States, GSUs of the nation are going to be in the same level as NDSU when all is said and done.

FCS_pwns_FBS
March 22nd, 2013, 08:28 AM
As long as it doesn't take us 15 years to catch up....again.

But I would agree with you on that. The Montanas, App States, GSUs of the nation are going to be in the same level as NDSU when all is said and done.

Not sure you're going to get a whole lot of disagreement there, especially considering second-place Sun Belt teams have lost to non-playoff FCS teams for the past two seasons. Our move up to FBS won't be considered a failure by any means if we aren't the next Boise State within 20 years. That would be nice but it's not a must. The fact is that it's not about reality or how good your team is and it never has been. The fact that GSU and NDSU (the first playoff game) were on ESPNU while two arguably inferior FBS teams (Temple and Wyoming) were on ESPN was sort of a coup de grace of any doubt for me that GSU should move up.

BTW, don't be surprised if your fan base eventually gets tired of watching teams you are better than get on the top channels while your games get relegated to ESPN3 or ESPNU (if it's a semifinal or NC). The GSU and ASU fan bases have both been where yours is right now and now most of us are jaded with the FCS. Remember when you guys kicked the crap out of Central Michigan the year they won the MAC? Even if you were playoff eligible that year it's not likely you'd play in a game with better TV ratings than the whatever-bowl that CMU played in that year.

Herder
March 22nd, 2013, 01:14 PM
I don't think the top conferences in FBS (B1G, SEC, ACC, P12, B12) can tell the other FBS conference (SB, CUSA, BE, MWC, MAC) . . . "You can't be in our Championship". But they might be able to spend them out of the Championship. That said, it's all about scholarships today. If the Top level increases scholarships to 100, then they could squeeze out the tier 2 FBS conferences, who would need to pony up $$$ to play with them. That said, the ncaa would need to agree to a scholarship increase, and have said they won't increase above 85 in the past. If scholarship would increase for the Top tier of FBS, that would do as much to hurt their own conferences as it would to push the lower Tier out. Better models for revenue sharing the SEC, P12 and B12 would be needed to help all schools.

The Texas approach in the B12 creates big disparities in the have/have nots in that conference, while the B1G is attempting to lift all with their TV contracts. I guess that I don't see where a 50 team championship is more meaningful than a 120 team championship level. Right now with two levels in DI, it seems about right . . . It's the massive greed that is the problem.

The larger football issue in DI is the huge chasm between the top and bottom of FCS. You'd think a 45-63 scholarship model would be required to be in FCS instead of a 0-60 model. You have FCS teams that would struggle in DIII. Of course, no one if FBS cares, so no big deal.

Another thing that I think will keep the Top Tier from fragmenting off is the need for success. Right now, crap teams in the BIG and B12 (and others) can still manage to win 4-6 games a year. If you have 4 -16 team conferences and teams are playing 10 in Conf and 2 ooc, you have teams that win 1-2 games if they can't play lower tier FBS games or FCS. What will happen the image of winning when that happens.

lmckay92
March 23rd, 2013, 01:36 AM
The top FCS teams fit in with FBS football, especially Georgia Southern and Appy State. I don't personally believe that we'll see another official division of D1 football ever, but the top FCS schools really should be trying to move up ASAP.