PDA

View Full Version : Shall We Play A Game?

superman7515
March 13th, 2013, 06:00 PM
http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2011/08/15/GTW.png

So as I have a propensity to run various games/competitions throughout the year on this site when the mood hits me, I had an idea and wanted to see if anyone was interested. If so, I'll start working on it and if not, I won't waste my time. So here's the setup... It's almost time for the NCAA basketball tournaments and I'm thinking of doing something similar, but of course with a football twist. A 70 team, single elimination tournament, that will include every team that has competed in the the 1AA/FCS National Championship game. For example, maybe there's a round one matchup between 1987 Youngstown State and their defense taking on 2012 North Dakota State or maybe 1987 Marshall's trying to outshoot 1998 UMass. I'll have to look into it more before I decide if I'm going to try to seed them myself or just let the computer randomize the teams and I'll "seed" them by the randomized order, but I wasn't going to bother doing it before seeing if anyone was in.

So where do you come in? First off, once I make the brackets and post the games, you'll have to send me message with your bracket picks. This way your picks stay confidential and no one is copying you. I'll enter your picks into a spreadsheet (which I will make public once I stop accepting picks and before running the contest) so you can see your picks and know that I didn't change anything and see everyone elses picks and know that they didn't change anything later and I got the right winner. Then I hold a vote for the winners (one round each day) until we crown a champ. Whoever has the most bracket points (1 pt for 1st rd, 2 for 2nd, 4 for 3rd round, etc) wins the game.

ursus arctos horribilis
March 13th, 2013, 06:11 PM
I'd play. It might also be easier to just make a form and have the individuals submit their picks like that cuz then it's already on a spreadsheet and the names are consistent.

Grizo406
March 13th, 2013, 06:21 PM
I'd play, but that would mean I'd have to ask Ursus for help at some point. I'm not talking to him at the moment, so you'll have to count me out.

Great idea though!

superman7515
March 13th, 2013, 06:38 PM
I'd play. It might also be easier to just make a form and have the individuals submit their picks like that cuz then it's already on a spreadsheet and the names are consistent.

Yeah, I was going to do something with Google docs or something along those lines.

BisonFan02
March 13th, 2013, 07:36 PM
I'm game

Southern Bison
March 13th, 2013, 07:45 PM
I'm in.

IBleedYellow
March 13th, 2013, 08:02 PM
Time to get another AGS Playa title.

PS: I'm in.

SUPharmacist
March 13th, 2013, 09:25 PM
I like the idea, but would have to decline purely based on my ignorance of FCS history. Would definitely pull up a chair to watch things unfold and enjoy the debates around the matchups. If you get a good group it should be quite entertaining.

OhioHen
March 14th, 2013, 06:06 AM
I'm willing to lose at this game (like other games).

superman7515
March 14th, 2013, 10:58 AM
225 views and only 12 votes total, not looking like there's a lot of interest. The poll is set to expire after 72 hours, so we shall see.

ASUMountaineer
March 14th, 2013, 11:09 AM
I'll participate.

No_Skill
March 14th, 2013, 12:09 PM
Interesting. I wouldn't participate since I don't feel I have the knowlege needed to play, but I'd love to see the outcome.

ursus arctos horribilis
March 14th, 2013, 12:18 PM
Interesting. I wouldn't participate since I don't feel I have the knowlege needed to play, but I'd love to see the outcome.

I don't understand why people say this? The best knowledge gained on anything is through pratical experience and this is a good way to do that. Jump in man. Even the questions you may ask will provide good discussion on the teams.

Bisonator
March 14th, 2013, 12:39 PM
Not sure how this is gonna work but I would try it. Are you saying the teams that get the most votes win? Or are you planning to run some type of simulator to determine the winners?

superman7515
March 14th, 2013, 01:05 PM

You don't need to know anything about anything to play, haha. That's the easy part.

Not sure how this is gonna work but I would try it. Are you saying the teams that get the most votes win? Or are you planning to run some type of simulator to determine the winners?

The way it works is, if enough people are interested, I make a bracket for a 70 team tournament. I haven't decided if I will seed the teams myself or just let the computer pick them at random. To be honest, probably at random this year simply because I thought about it too late to come up with any objective parameters to measure and seed the teams, next year I would try to do that. Anyway, I post the matchups just like the NCAA basketball tournament. You go through and pick the winners all the way to the championship game. Then we have a tournament.

It will be a set period of time, maybe 48-72 hours per round, during which I will have a Google Doc set up for people who are playing to reply to. You just punch it up, pick the winners, and wait for the results. There will be a thread created where you can argue your case for a team over another team, feel free to back it up with stats, smack, magic, whatever you want, just follow the normal board guidelines and no probs. But the point is to pick the team you think would have actually won the game, not just the team who makes the most noise. Especially true because for some teams, Georgia Southern, Youngstown State, Montana, etc there is a decent chance that at some point a team from one year is going to be taking on themselves in a different year.

Again, just an example, 1990 Georgia Southern is taking on 2012 North Dakota State at some point in the tournament. The Georgia Southern fans try swaying voters to vote for 1990 GaSo using whatever argument they have to show they would have won; Bison fans try to sway voters to vote for 2012 North Dakota State (this is the part where everyone gets a little history lesson from the guys who have been fans for a while, so no knowledge needed to play, but we will all leave knowing a little more) with whatever argument they have to show they would have won the real game. Maybe some guys who aren't fans of either team offer some kind of attempt at an objective ranking of the two teams. However it goes. Kinda like Survivor though, you don't want to pi$$ everyone off along the way by overloading on the smack because eventually you're gonna need those votes at the end to win the whole thing. If 1995 Montana makes the championship game against 2003 Colgate, but the whole time Ursus has been talking trash about every team they faced in the tourney, it might not matter that Montana would or would not have won the game, they probably aren't making it out.

IBleedYellow
March 14th, 2013, 06:07 PM
You don't need to know anything about anything to play, haha. That's the easy part.

The way it works is, if enough people are interested, I make a bracket for a 70 team tournament. I haven't decided if I will seed the teams myself or just let the computer pick them at random. To be honest, probably at random this year simply because I thought about it too late to come up with any objective parameters to measure and seed the teams, next year I would try to do that. Anyway, I post the matchups just like the NCAA basketball tournament. You go through and pick the winners all the way to the championship game. Then we have a tournament.

It will be a set period of time, maybe 48-72 hours per round, during which I will have a Google Doc set up for people who are playing to reply to. You just punch it up, pick the winners, and wait for the results. There will be a thread created where you can argue your case for a team over another team, feel free to back it up with stats, smack, magic, whatever you want, just follow the normal board guidelines and no probs. But the point is to pick the team you think would have actually won the game, not just the team who makes the most noise. Especially true because for some teams, Georgia Southern, Youngstown State, Montana, etc there is a decent chance that at some point a team from one year is going to be taking on themselves in a different year.

Again, just an example, 1990 Georgia Southern is taking on 2012 North Dakota State at some point in the tournament. The Georgia Southern fans try swaying voters to vote for 1990 GaSo using whatever argument they have to show they would have won; Bison fans try to sway voters to vote for 2012 North Dakota State (this is the part where everyone gets a little history lesson from the guys who have been fans for a while, so no knowledge needed to play, but we will all leave knowing a little more) with whatever argument they have to show they would have won the real game. Maybe some guys who aren't fans of either team offer some kind of attempt at an objective ranking of the two teams. However it goes. Kinda like Survivor though, you don't want to pi$$ everyone off along the way by overloading on the smack because eventually you're gonna need those votes at the end to win the whole thing. If 1995 Montana makes the championship game against 2003 Colgate, but the whole time Ursus has been talking trash about every team they faced in the tourney, it might not matter that Montana would or would not have won the game, they probably aren't making it out.

Hmmm, I must have read it wrong. I figured that it would be the simulation. Either way, should be fun!

No_Skill
March 14th, 2013, 06:24 PM

Montana won a championship?

...see what I did there? :)

superman7515
March 14th, 2013, 07:39 PM
Both teams will be in the tournament, so winning the title isn't necessary. There have been plenty of games decided by 3 points or fewer, it's not unreasonable that some people may believe the other team would have won the title in a different year, so it's possible for a team that lost the title that year to advance against a team that won the title.