PDA

View Full Version : ND Quarterback to Transfer

bjtheflamesfan
March 7th, 2013, 08:55 PM
Just posted on ESPN.com a little while ago:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9029462/gunner-kiel-transfer-notre-dame-fighting-irish-source-says

Only way he plays immediately is if he drops down to FCS or lower

Professor Chaos
March 7th, 2013, 09:34 PM
This is basically his third school he's decommitted from without even playing a college down. How many more schools does he plan to get in bed with? I don't think I'd even want him at this point. Give that scholarship to a kid who values committment.

SpeedkingATL
March 7th, 2013, 09:57 PM
He needs to find a program with no competition.............

clenz
March 7th, 2013, 11:49 PM
This is basically his third school he's decommitted from without even playing a college down. How many more schools does he plan to get in bed with? I don't think I'd even want him at this point. Give that scholarship to a kid who values committment.This...

If I was a college coach, I'd want no part of him.

He went from Indiana to Notre Dame to LSU to Notre Dame....

Coach Miles from LSU was right when he said "There was a gentleman from Indiana that thought about coming to the Bayou state. He did not necessarily have the chest and the ability to lead a program, so you know."

darell1976
March 8th, 2013, 12:43 AM
For a second I thought the ND stood for North Dakota. Had me worried for a second.

PaladinFan
March 8th, 2013, 05:10 AM
I have no authority for thinking this, but I wonder if Furman is an option. FU left some scholarships high and dry this offseason, presumptively to bring in a quality transfer if available. They have a true sophomore quarterback, and not a lot of ready depth at the QB position. Not to mention, they (perhaps above all other FCS schools) have a recent reputation for landing high profile QB transfers from high profile universities.

CFBfan
March 8th, 2013, 07:13 AM
This...

If I was a college coach, I'd want no part of him.

He went from Indiana to Notre Dame to LSU to Notre Dame....

Coach Miles from LSU was right when he said "There was a gentleman from Indiana that thought about coming to the Bayou state. He did not necessarily have the chest and the ability to lead a program, so you know."

So let's be fair to the 18 year old kid at the time and include his response:

Kiel took the high road whenever asked about Miles.

"Once he said it, I don't blame him at all -- I was dumb during the recruiting process," Kiel said Jan. 5. "I couldn't really make up my mind, but I was also doing what was best for me at that time, and that was picking a college. That much pressure and being so highly ranked, I couldn't make up my mind.

"It was hard, but I'm very happy with the decision I made, and I've always respected Coach Miles. I'm not going to throw him under the bus, because I think he's a great coach. Everything he stands for, I think, is great. He's a winning coach. There's nothing more to say. I can't take back what I did, so I respect Coach Miles and everything he stands for."

I have ZERO vested interest in this kid, didn't even know who he was until today BUT be fair!
AND he didn't transfer from Ind to ND to LSU to ND as you make it seem, he just wasn't sure where to ultimately committ in the first place

mountaineer in Cane Land
March 8th, 2013, 09:13 AM
funny that everyone is hammering this kid, including Espn this morning, but nobody is talking about Lez Miles and how piss poor he handled this sitution. First, he is the leader of one of the premire programs in the country, show some class, take the highroad, and dont call out this kid in a public forum, hell the kid had not even committed to LSU, just becouse he was giving the impression LSU was his likely favorite, doesnt mean he cant change his mind. second, Miles is a hypocrite, how many kids through the years has he led on, promising that he was going to give them a schlorship, then at the last moment, pull the schlorship offer, I bet its a common practice, and he has done it hundreds of times.

Go Green
March 8th, 2013, 09:21 AM
Miles is a hypocrite, how many kids through the years has he led on, promising that he was going to give them a schlorship, then at the last moment, pull the schlorship offer.

Big discussion on the Ivy Board over whether Penn did just that to a recruit from Florida.

http://www.voy.com/152805/112756.html

CFBfan
March 8th, 2013, 10:03 AM
Big discussion on the Ivy Board over whether Penn did just that to a recruit from Florida.

http://www.voy.com/152805/112756.html

Holy Cross did it to a kid 3 years ago....they called him up on the eve of Nat'l Sign Day and told him sorry, we've decided to go in a different direction (i know his parents) total d-bag and classless move!!!!!

Sader87
March 8th, 2013, 10:14 AM
Holy Cross did it to a kid 3 years ago....they called him up on the eve of Nat'l Sign Day and told him sorry, we've decided to go in a different direction (i know his parents) total d-bag and classless move!!!!!

Wasn't me.....and I agree a very douchey move. I haven't been a fan of HC's recruiting...didn't accept a kid who I coached in hs, he had the last laugh however, beating HC by catching a last minute TD pass in 2011.

CFBfan
March 8th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Wasn't me.....and I agree a very douchey move. I haven't been a fan of HC's recruiting...didn't accept a kid who I coached in hs, he had the last laugh however, beating HC by catching a last minute TD pass in 2011.

the process can be very deceptive and disapointing for some kids, i know that the same asst coach that was recruiting the kid i refernced was actualy banned from a hs in ohio

mountaineer in Cane Land
March 8th, 2013, 10:24 AM
sadly, I think this is a pretty common practice with coaches at all levels, I dont have any proof, but I would suspect its happened at my unversity, App State, thru the years. Another acceptable "practice" by coaches is to take schlorships away from players who have been on the team for several years, and give them to recruits. I remember 4 or 5 years ago, "the old ball coach" at South Carolina, took away a schlorship from, I believe a senior and gave it to a recruit. The kid was an A student, never got into any trouble, but his "crime" was being a third string player who really wasnt contributing to winning games. To be honest most head coaches, especially at the premire programs are skum bags, who preach honor, committment, ethics etc. but when push comes to shove wont follow their own teachings.

CFBfan
March 8th, 2013, 10:29 AM
a lot of used car and snake oil salesmen out there so for miles or any other hc to publicy blast a recruit is small minded and pathetic

Professor Chaos
March 8th, 2013, 10:35 AM
hell the kid had not even committed to LSU, just becouse he was giving the impression LSU was his likely favorite, doesnt mean he cant change his mind.
He never committed to LSU? Could've fooled me: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/football/story/_/id/7394391/indiana-prep-qb-gunner-kiel-commits-lsu-tigers

"When I went to Louisiana, it was just awesome," Kiel told the website MyIndianaFootball.com. "Friday I woke up and told my parents 'I'm ready to commit. I want to go to LSU and this is the best place for me.'"

"I got to know the guys really well -- they're a special group and really nice guys," Kiel said. "They came out of their way to introduce themselves and talk to me, which meant a lot. Baton Rouge is a special place. It was the perfect fit for me, and I can't wait to enroll and be a part of the team and university."

Of course I guess with the way he appears to express himself maybe that isn't a solid committment. Here's what he said after committing to Indiana (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/highschool/07/28/kiel-commits-indiana/index.html):

"It was just the best fit for me," Kiel said a few hours before making his decision on a trip to Indiana with his parents. "I woke up having that gut feeling and felt really good about it and my parents were excited about it too."

And then of course there's Notre Dame (http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/feed/2011-05/cfb-recruiting-2012/story/gunner-kiel-drops-lsu-qb-looking-at-notre-dame):

"There were three critical elements I was looking for in my future school: the quality of education I would receive, the distance from home and the comfort level I would have with the players and coaches in the football program. Notre Dame was the perfect fit for me because it hit all three areas.

"Coach Kelly was great throughout my recruitment, as many times our conversations had nothing do with football. That really showed me he had my best intentions in mind. He was persistent yet also patient while recruiting me and I look forward to playing for him the next four years. I couldn't be happier to be a member of the Fighting Irish football team. I'm excited about the future of the program."

clenz
March 8th, 2013, 10:43 AM
He never committed to LSU? Could've fooled me: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/football/story/_/id/7394391/indiana-prep-qb-gunner-kiel-commits-lsu-tigers
The kid has commitment issues, that were well covered after the multiple switches in HS. If Les Miles is questioning the character of a kid, you know there is something to it.

The kid obviously hates competition and not being THE man.

He reminds me A LOT of Tate Forcier.

asumike83
March 8th, 2013, 10:46 AM
His indecisiveness may end up hurting him because many schools will shy away but I sure don't feel bad for Indiana, LSU or Notre Dame.

Nobody gets screwed worse than these kids in the recruiting process. It is very common, both at the BCS level all the way down to FCS, for a kid to shut down his recruitment after holding an offer and then have the rug pulled out from under him when a better prospect comes along.

Say what you want about his flip-flopping but it was a classless move by Les Miles to call him out publicly and smart of the kid to take the high road afterwards. I think a move to the FCS level may be good for Kiel, he just doesn't seem to be the kind of kid who revels in the spotlight of a high-profile program.

clenz
March 8th, 2013, 10:47 AM
His indecisiveness may end up hurting him because many schools will shy away but I sure don't feel bad for Indiana, LSU or Notre Dame.

Nobody gets screwed worse than these kids in the recruiting process. It is very common, both at the BCS level all the way down to FCS, for a kid to shut down his recruitment after holding an offer and then have the rug pulled out from under him when a better prospect comes along.

Say what you want about his flip-flopping but it was a classless move by Les Miles to call him out publicly and smart of the kid to take the high road afterwards. I think a move to the FCS level may be good for Kiel, he just doesn't seem to be the kind of kid who revels in the spotlight of a high-profile program.He was one of the top ranked players in the nation, regardless of position. His "rug" was NEVER in jeopardy of being pulled.

PaladinFan
March 8th, 2013, 10:55 AM
sadly, I think this is a pretty common practice with coaches at all levels, I dont have any proof, but I would suspect its happened at my unversity, App State, thru the years. Another acceptable "practice" by coaches is to take schlorships away from players who have been on the team for several years, and give them to recruits. I remember 4 or 5 years ago, "the old ball coach" at South Carolina, took away a schlorship from, I believe a senior and gave it to a recruit. The kid was an A student, never got into any trouble, but his "crime" was being a third string player who really wasnt contributing to winning games. To be honest most head coaches, especially at the premire programs are skum bags, who preach honor, committment, ethics etc. but when push comes to shove wont follow their own teachings.

I wish Furman would do a bit more of that. Furman has several upperclassmen on the football roster taking up scholarship funds that do not even dress.

CFBfan
March 8th, 2013, 11:02 AM
I wish Furman would do a bit more of that. Furman has several upperclassmen on the football roster taking up scholarship funds that do not even dress.

sad that you think that way, an offer is an offer. no one get's it right every time but you can honor your commitment every time!
and if you get a reputation for pulling schollies you will get less commitments and it will hurt your program in the long run (imo)

mountaineer in Cane Land
March 8th, 2013, 11:27 AM
at the NCAA fall meetings, one of the topics discussed was when a schlorship is offered it becomes a 4 year binding comittment, assuming the kid stays out of trouble, and keeps his grades up, instead of the one year comittment it is now, to no ones surprise, the coaches voted against it.

asumike83
March 8th, 2013, 12:22 PM
He was one of the top ranked players in the nation, regardless of position. His "rug" was NEVER in jeopardy of being pulled.

I agree. My point was just that these schools/coaches fail to honor their offers all the time, so I don't feel bad for them when a kid fails to honor his commitment.

He still handled it poorly and will end up shooting himself in the foot but Les Miles can cry me a river. Really classless move on his part to call a kid out like that publicly.

EKU-n-GSU
March 8th, 2013, 12:38 PM
I agree. My point was just that these schools/coaches fail to honor their offers all the time, so I don't feel bad for them when a kid fails to honor his commitment.

He still handled it poorly and will end up shooting himself in the foot but Les Miles can cry me a river. Really classless move on his part to call a kid out like that publicly.

+1. I recall my son's recruitment experience and all the twisting and turning the coaches put him through (along with all the other kids as well I suspect). Last night of home visits he had three scheduled; two ended up being no shows/no call and the third eventually showed up 90 minutes late. I was out of town on biz and momma was having to talk him off the ledge...at that point most of the kids see their value as what amount of 'love' the FB coaches show them. He ended up making the right choice and the rest is history, but it wasn't a good exprience.

Pard4Life
March 8th, 2013, 01:42 PM

This is very curious... because I have also heard Holy Cross' scruples called into question by somebody in the 'football know' at Lafayette i.e. being disingenuous with financial aid practices.