PDA

View Full Version : " the ol' Copper, Silver, & Gold"

Laker
March 5th, 2013, 04:47 PM
Ursus made a comment about " the ol' Copper, Silver, & Gold" on another thread. I got interested in college football back in 1967, the last time that the Gophers tied for the Big Ten championship- the year that the Twins lost two in Boston on the last weekend of the season to miss the World Series back when there were two ten team leagues. I loved learning about all the leagues, nicknames and colors of the schools. After my sister came back from a trip out West she brought me a long sleeved gold and copper (I thought it was maroon) Montana Grizzlies jersey. Many years later (the Helmet Project says 1996) the colors changed over to maroon and silver. I was just wondering why the color scheme changed and what people thought about it. It has been a long time since 1996 so younger fans might not remember it very much.

Right after I graduated the Gophers put on a big "Gold Country" push and brought back all dark gold uniforms, somewhat like the colors that they wore in the 30s. It didn't last very long- there are other Big Ten teams with gold but none with maroon. With NDSU, it was always green jerseys with yellow pants. I tend to be old school and am not into the flavor of the day uniforms like Oregon- I really liked their look from years ago but now it seems like too much of a fashion statement to me. I was just wondering how fans view their teams and their looks and what comments they might have.

Silenoz
March 5th, 2013, 05:11 PM
We've always been maroon and silver. One of our coachs in the '60s wanted to replicate the Texas Longhorns and changed our unis. They stuck until we switched back to our traditional colors. Now they're all official colors, maybe? There was some dumb debate on it on eGriz last year

IBleedYellow
March 5th, 2013, 05:47 PM
I love the Gold and White jereseys that NDSU wears. The Greens are just "meh." Personal favorite are our whites, though.

Uncle Rico's Clan
March 6th, 2013, 11:39 AM
Jack Swarthout (sp?) came to Montana from Texas, and liked the burnt orange Texas wears. As a result we began wearing our "copper and gold" uniforms. I heard that the reason we switched from the "copper and gold" was a result of winning our first championship in 95. It was difficult to get merchandise printed using our "copper" since the only other school using that color was Texas. In an effort to sell more Griz gear we switched to maroon and silver. In 2008 we wore our "copper and gold" throwbacks against msu in football. This season both the men's and women's basketball teams wore "copper and gold' throwbacks against Weber.

2008 football throwback

2013 basketball throwback