PDA

View Full Version : Joe Flacco Becomes Highest Paid Player In NFL History

superman7515
March 1st, 2013, 08:41 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9006059/joe-flacco-baltimore-ravens-reach-agreement-according-source

Joe Flacco and the Baltimore Ravens have agreed to a six-year, $120.6 million contract that makes the quarterback the highest-paid player in NFL history, a source familiar with the deal told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

The two sides will work on the contract language this weekend, and Flacco is expected to sign the deal Monday in Baltimore, sources told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen.

Fox Sports was the first to report that Flacco and the Ravens had agreed to a deal.

Drew Brees is currently the highest-paid player in the NFL, averaging $20 million per year.

Flacco played out his rookie contract last season for $6.76 million. Now, based on the $120.6 million deal, Flacco will make an average of $168,908 each day of the regular season for the six years.

Ravens running back Ray Rice took to Twitter to congratulate his teammate Friday night.

"Dinner and a few nights on Joe Flacco when we get back well deserved #Ravens," Rice tweeted.....

ITmonarch10
March 1st, 2013, 09:55 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9006059/joe-flacco-baltimore-ravens-reach-agreement-according-source

I'm happy he won a Super bowl with the ravens. That said..... Joe Flacco isn't worth 20 million+ dollars. Hes barely a top 10 quarterback that got hot in the playoffs and that contract of his is going to handicap the ravens down the line.

mountaineer in Cane Land
March 1st, 2013, 10:14 PM
it was perfect timing for Flacco, there are no free agent QBs out there to take his place, and of course, he just had a great playoffs and Superbowl. I agree that he Ravens are going to regret paying him that much money, not only becouse of salary cap restrictions a few years from now, but by paying him that kind of money the Ravens are saying he is better than Brees, Rogers, and Brady, which of course he is not, Flacco is laughing all the way to the bank.

PAllen
March 1st, 2013, 10:32 PM

Begs one question: Why?

He isn't that great of a QB. He's not bad, but come on.

Professor Chaos
March 2nd, 2013, 02:25 PM
He'll be supplanted shortly by a guy in Green Bay as the highest paid player in NFL history.

That said, I'll be surprised if he plays this deal out without restructuring or getting cut. If you sign a deal like this, you better be ready to be scrutinized by your front office in much greater detail every offseason.

The Moody1
March 2nd, 2013, 03:16 PM
Armanti is still Flacco's daddy. xsmiley_wix

344Johnson
March 2nd, 2013, 04:52 PM
As a Steeler fan, I am pumped. This is going to be a ball and chain on the Ravens. He is not worth anywhere close to that.

mountaineer in Cane Land
March 2nd, 2013, 10:56 PM
I dont know how much he is guranteed, but he will never make it to the end of that contract, my guess he will either have to rework it in a few years or they will just cut him. This is just crazy money for an average qb. I bet the Green bay and New Orleans GM are pissed at Baltimore.

heath
March 3rd, 2013, 05:17 PM
I'm happy he won a Super bowl with the ravens. That said..... Joe Flacco isn't worth 20 million+ dollars. Hes barely a top 10 quarterback that got hot in the playoffs and that contract of his is going to handicap the ravens down the line.

+1,and as a Steelers fan, hope he does handicap the ravens payroll $$$$$$,Kinda reminds me of Dilfer,but a tad better.

theasushow
March 3rd, 2013, 10:44 PM
Money like this puts Flacco in the same conversation as Brady, Brees, Rodgers, etc....ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!? He's a decent quarterback who has a good arm and for the most part manages a good game. Yes he had an awesome postseason, but when you are talkin about that kind of money you have to look at the big picture, and Flacco at times has looked Ryan Leaf-ish. There is no doubt in my mind that Ravens mgmt will be looking back on this in a few years shaking their heads.

GannonFan
March 3rd, 2013, 11:38 PM
Armanti is still Flacco's daddy. xsmiley_wix

Haters gotta hate. I'm sure Joe was still thinking back to Chatty in '07 while he was riding down a float on Main Street in Disneyworld the day after the Super Bowl. I hear Armanti was moonlighting as one of the Disney characters in the parade. Maybe he was hitting Joe up for a loan?

CFBfan
March 4th, 2013, 06:18 AM
Money like this puts Flacco in the same conversation as Brady, Brees, Rodgers, etc....ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!? He's a decent quarterback who has a good arm and for the most part manages a good game. Yes he had an awesome postseason, but when you are talkin about that kind of money you have to look at the big picture, and Flacco at times has looked Ryan Leaf-ish. There is no doubt in my mind that Ravens mgmt will be looking back on this in a few years shaking their heads.

As an unbiased Giant fan I say that you are out of your mind and clueless.....Ryan Leafish! Only a jackass would make that comparison. And btw Joe is the ONLY qb to have Won. Playoff in EACH of his 1st 5 seasons.

When a qb is really good during reg season but doesn't win it all you yes you want to rip them that they can't win the big one. This guy is near flawless in the BIG games and you crush him......get a clue!!

chattownmocs
March 4th, 2013, 06:49 AM
This is one of the worst non-rookie contracts in NFL history. That defense is aging and they wasted all of that money on an average QB. This team won't even be making the playoffs in a year or 2.

BluBengal07
March 4th, 2013, 07:06 AM
surprising move by the Raven. Flacco is good, but he's in not elite. just did the right things at the right time in the right game(s).

i hope this move doesn't handicap the Ravens.

GannonFan
March 4th, 2013, 08:57 AM
surprising move by the Raven. Flacco is good, but he's in not elite. just did the right things at the right time in the right game(s).

i hope this move doesn't handicap the Ravens.

His contract is extremely cap friendly in years 1 and 2 (something like only $7M versus the cap in both years). It ceratinly rockets up in year 3 and so on, but those things can be renegotiated then. Besides, the cap number for all clubs will be much higher three years from now and there'll be a number of teams signing their QB's for more than this going forward. It's only a bad contract if you think Flacco can't repeat what he did in the past playoffs. Of course, he's been highly successful in the playoffs in each of his first 5 years in the league so there's no real reason to assume he'll stop being a highly effective playoff QB anytime soon.

bluehenbillk
March 4th, 2013, 09:13 AM
In all fairness, he's a Lee Evans drop away from back-to-back super Bowl titles. During that run, he outplayed Brady 3 times in a row head to head & Peyton Manning, all but one of those were on the road.

No QB in NFL history has won more games in their 1st 5 years in the league, or have won more road playoff games.

11TD's - 0 picks in the postseason and the SB MVP - Tyron Taylor is your backup, yea dd all that up & Joe gets PAID.

chattownmocs
March 4th, 2013, 09:33 AM
This playoff nonsense needs to stop. Joe Flacco was great this year in the playoffs but he has been awful in a lot of playoff games that he has won. Peyton Manning had by far his worst postseason the year the colts won the super bowl. Outside of that season, he has won 1 playoff game in which his QB rating was less than 123. Peyton Manning QB rating in his last 6 playoff losses has been 88,108,88,90,97,90. He hasn't played poorly in a playoff game his team lost since 2004.

Yet every year we get to hear about how awful Peyton Manning is in playoff games and how clutch guys like Eli Manning and Joe Flacco are. Joe was great last year but come on.

CFBfan
March 4th, 2013, 09:38 AM
This playoff nonsense needs to stop. Joe Flacco was great this year in the playoffs but he has been awful in a lot of playoff games that he has won. Peyton Manning had by far his worst postseason the year the colts won the super bowl. Outside of that season, he has won 1 playoff game in which his QB rating was less than 123. Peyton Manning QB rating in his last 6 playoff losses has been 88,108,88,90,97,90. He hasn't played poorly in a playoff game his team lost since 2004.

Yet every year we get to hear about how awful Peyton Manning is in playoff games and how clutch guys like Eli Manning and Joe Flacco are. Joe was great last year but come on.

He (Peyton) has NOT played well enough to win....PERIOD!!!!!!!!!
But for 1 year Brady has owned him!!! get over it

chattownmocs
March 4th, 2013, 09:47 AM
He (Peyton) has NOT played well enough to win....PERIOD!!!!!!!!!
But for 1 year Brady has owned him!!! get over it

Brady hasn't "owned" him in a long ling time. They haven't met in the playoffs in a very long time and last time they did Manning's team won. Either way, we aren't talking about Tom Brady, we are talking about Joe Flacco and his "great" playoff performances. Like his 4-10 34 yard performance in a playoff win. Wow, way to go Joe. I guess you are the best QB in the league. If Peyton Manning or Tom Brady had been on the Ravens, the ravens would have 5 super bowl titles since 2000, not 1. This was a horrible move by Ravens management. This guy is lazy and inconsistent and the Ravens will be out of the playoffs on a permanent basis within the next 2 years.

WH49er
March 4th, 2013, 10:21 AM
Flacco definitely benefitted from a weak QB free agent market. This whole conversation will come up again in 2-3 year when Cam, RGIII, Wilson, and Kaepernick sign deals.

CFBfan
March 4th, 2013, 10:28 AM
Brady hasn't "owned" him in a long ling time. They haven't met in the playoffs in a very long time and last time they did Manning's team won. Either way, we aren't talking about Tom Brady, we are talking about Joe Flacco and his "great" playoff performances. Like his 4-10 34 yard performance in a playoff win. Wow, way to go Joe. I guess you are the best QB in the league. If Peyton Manning or Tom Brady had been on the Ravens, the ravens would have 5 super bowl titles since 2000, not 1. This was a horrible move by Ravens management. This guy is lazy and inconsistent and the Ravens will be out of the playoffs on a permanent basis within the next 2 years.

YOU brought up Manning NOT me

chattownmocs
March 4th, 2013, 10:30 AM
YOU brought up Manning NOT me

Ok, well I could bring up anyone and it would be relevant because this guy is the highest paid player in NFL history.

asumike83
March 4th, 2013, 10:36 AM
In all fairness, he's a Lee Evans drop away from back-to-back super Bowl titles.

Hard to assume that they'd have beaten the Giants last year. That team was playing great, I think they get the ring whether it was the Pats or Ravens on the other side.

CFBfan
March 4th, 2013, 10:43 AM
Ok, well I could bring up anyone and it would be relevant because this guy is the highest paid player in NFL history.

Manning does NOT win 5 or 4 or 3 or even 2 rings if he were a raven!!

and He will NOT be the highest paid for very long.
anyway, his value and contract are great off season filler for us and certainly up for debate BUT to compare him (not you) to Ryan Leaf is moronic!!!

theasushow
March 4th, 2013, 11:32 AM
Flacco's QBR of .3 against the Texans this year was pretty Ryan Leaf-esque to me. It was only the lowest QBR in NFL history. Although he did redeem himself a couple weeks later with a .4 against the Broncos....the 2nd lowest in NFL history. (A record he holds). I know Flacco is a better QB than Leaf, but on certain game days he sure does look comparable. Those are Ryan Leaf numbers, like it or not.

ASUMountaineer
March 4th, 2013, 11:52 AM
Flacco's QBR of .3 against the Texans this year was pretty Ryan Leaf-esque to me. It was only the lowest QBR in NFL history. Although he did redeem himself a couple weeks later with a .4 against the Broncos....the 2nd lowest in NFL history. (A record he holds). I know Flacco is a better QB than Leaf, but on certain game days he sure does look comparable. Those are Ryan Leaf numbers, like it or not.

C'mon man. When Joe Flacco is breaking into apartments looking for drugs as a position coach at West Texas A&M, then you can compare them. Until then, quit being over-the-top on purpose.

ASUMountaineer
March 4th, 2013, 11:52 AM

Yeah, if Joe Flacco were half the QB BJ Coleman was, he would be unstoppable. xrulesx

ASUMountaineer
March 4th, 2013, 11:53 AM
Flacco definitely benefitted from a weak QB free agent market. This whole conversation will come up again in 2-3 year when Cam, RGIII, Wilson, and Kaepernick sign deals.

Agreed.

CFBfan
March 4th, 2013, 11:58 AM

dude stop smoking that stuff it's clearly messing with your ability to reason and think clearly

bluehenbillk
March 4th, 2013, 01:01 PM
Hard to assume that they'd have beaten the Giants last year. That team was playing great, I think they get the ring whether it was the Pats or Ravens on the other side.

Ravens D would've pressured Eli more than anyone else he would've faced. Ravens would've won by double digits, teams don't match up well. Flacco & the Ravens torched the Giants this past December too.

344Johnson
March 4th, 2013, 01:07 PM
Still the 2nd best QB in his division. Roethlisberger is much better.

asumike83
March 4th, 2013, 01:32 PM
Ravens D would've pressured Eli more than anyone else he would've faced. Ravens would've won by double digits, teams don't match up well. Flacco & the Ravens torched the Giants this past December too.

They took the 15-1 defending champion Packers to the woodshed at their place and then won at San Francisco, who has a pretty good pass rush themselves. They won on the road at the #1 and #2 seeds in the NFC, then got their second win that year over the team who knocked the Ravens out. I could care less about either team but they were hot at the right time.

bluehenbillk
March 4th, 2013, 01:34 PM
Still the 2nd best QB in his division. Roethlisberger is much better.

Before he started assaulting college girls. Can't stay healthy the past 2 years....

HenZoneNation
March 5th, 2013, 07:31 AM
You have to love this site. It’s one thing if you hate Delaware football and so that animosity carries over into the Flacco conversation, it’s quite another to make some of the asinine statements I’ve read.

1) Define Elite. He’s one of 7 QB’s with a ring. He’s the only QB to have ever gone to the playoffs and won every year. He has the most road wins in playoff history if you include the SB. If he hasn’t won the most games since he’s entered the league, he 2 or 3. He’s got the strongest arm in the league and with receivers who are not legit #1 receivers.
2) Let’s look at the top five QB’s in the league Brady, Brees, Manning, Manning, and Rodgers. They are the top. 3/5 will not be in the league in the next four years. Looking at the next group of five you’d have to say would be Flacco, Big Ben (I’m sorry with his injuries you just can’t count on him and it’s only going to get worse as he gets older), Ryan, Stafford, and…I don’t know Romo? Maybe. Joe was a dropped td away from back to back Super Bowls.
3) Before people start firing off the rookie class as being Elite or better than Joe let’s air on the side of caution. If we were having this debate last year people would have said Newton was better, the year before Bradford. You have to do it more than one year and you have to win. Let’s see how Wilson, RGIII, Luck, and CK, hold up next year.
4) This dude plays in the arguably the best defensive conference. All good defenses, outdoors, in extremely cold and windy environments. He’s not playing in the NFC South were some of us could throw for 3,000 yards. He’s not throwing in a Dome under perfect conditions.
5) Flacco doesn’t have a legit #1 receiver. You put Bolden or Smith on teams like Atlanta, NYG, Green Bay, New England, or Philly, and they wouldn’t even be the number two option. You give Joe what Matt Ryan has receiving wise, in a Dome, vs. the worst defensive conference in the NFL and he’ll throw for 5,000 and 30 plus td’s.
6) Cam Cameron is gone. His offense didn’t work with the players he had and as soon as Caldwell came in they rolled.

bluehenbillk
March 5th, 2013, 07:58 AM
You have to love Flacco's humility. After signing a $120M contract yesterday what does he do? He goes to the McDonald's drive-thru & drops $6.99 on a 10-piece McNugget meal.

Mattymc727
March 5th, 2013, 08:36 AM
You have to love this site. It’s one thing if you hate Delaware football and so that animosity carries over into the Flacco conversation, it’s quite another to make some of the asinine statements I’ve read.

1) Define Elite. He’s one of 7 QB’s with a ring. He’s the only QB to have ever gone to the playoffs and won every year. He has the most road wins in playoff history if you include the SB. If he hasn’t won the most games since he’s entered the league, he 2 or 3. He’s got the strongest arm in the league and with receivers who are not legit #1 receivers.
2) Let’s look at the top five QB’s in the league Brady, Brees, Manning, Manning, and Rodgers. They are the top. 3/5 will not be in the league in the next four years. Looking at the next group of five you’d have to say would be Flacco, Big Ben (I’m sorry with his injuries you just can’t count on him and it’s only going to get worse as he gets older), Ryan, Stafford, and…I don’t know Romo? Maybe. Joe was a dropped td away from back to back Super Bowls.
3) Before people start firing off the rookie class as being Elite or better than Joe let’s air on the side of caution. If we were having this debate last year people would have said Newton was better, the year before Bradford. You have to do it more than one year and you have to win. Let’s see how Wilson, RGIII, Luck, and CK, hold up next year.
4) This dude plays in the arguably the best defensive conference. All good defenses, outdoors, in extremely cold and windy environments. He’s not playing in the NFC South were some of us could throw for 3,000 yards. He’s not throwing in a Dome under perfect conditions.
5) Flacco doesn’t have a legit #1 receiver. You put Bolden or Smith on teams like Atlanta, NYG, Green Bay, New England, or Philly, and they wouldn’t even be the number two option. You give Joe what Matt Ryan has receiving wise, in a Dome, vs. the worst defensive conference in the NFL and he’ll throw for 5,000 and 30 plus td’s.
6) Cam Cameron is gone. His offense didn’t work with the players he had and as soon as Caldwell came in they rolled.

As a Pats fat, I agree with everything, except Anquan Boldin IS an elite receiver, who would indeed be the #1 threat on most teams, even here in New England (he would replace Brandon Lloyd). Boldin was the Ravens offensive MVP during the playoffs, not Flacco.

HenZoneNation
March 5th, 2013, 08:58 AM
You would take Boldin over Gronk or Welker or Hernandez? TE's are passing options. Boldin would be fourth, maybe third on that team. From a WR standpoint, your right Boldin is better than Lloyd. However, without Joe taking shots down the field with Smith and Jones, Boldin just doesn't get open. He was very, very good in the Playoffs but he's had an up and down stay in Baltimore. Under Caldwell, I'd love to see him have a full year and really see what he can do because he was great in the playoffs. No doubt. Joe tied Montana for the best playoff performence ever. He was and deserved to be the Offensive MVP of the playoffs and the Super Bowl.

asumike83
March 5th, 2013, 09:17 AM

I agree with a lot of what you said but a contract like this will come with criticism. Just my $.02 but if I'm an NFL owner, I don't hand out the biggest contract in NFL history with the thought that he might be in the top five at his position once other guys start retiring.

Good player? Yes. Good guy? Yes. Winner? Yes. Overpaid? Yes.

TheRevSFA
March 5th, 2013, 09:40 AM
If you define Flacco as elite, then you have to say Eli Manning is elite...

..do we really want to say that Eli Manning is elite? Think about it...

NHwildEcat
March 5th, 2013, 09:55 AM
What does Eli get paid? He deserves double that.

NHwildEcat
March 5th, 2013, 09:56 AM
If you define Flacco as elite, then you have to say Eli Manning is elite...

..do we really want to say that Eli Manning is elite? Think about it...

Flacco is much better then Eli though. Manning dissapears for games, as was evidenced last season. Manning is a QB who has gotten hot at the right time, on TWO occasions. Flacco is just good.

chattownmocs
March 5th, 2013, 10:14 AM
Joe Flacco can't hold Eli's jock strap. Joe Flacco has never been anything other than mediocre except for this playoff run. Flacco has never thrown a bunch of tds. He's never thrown single digit interceptions, he has never thrown for a lot of yard over the course of the season. Even in the playoffs last year he wasn't good against Denver. He hit like 3 bombs, 2 of which should have been easy plays for the defender. He was awful in the middle of that game. It is as simple as Denver getting cooked on 2 easy plays at the end of the each half and Baltimore is done right there.

Apphole
March 5th, 2013, 10:21 AM
Joe Flacco can't hold Eli's jock strap. Joe Flacco has never been anything other than mediocre except for this playoff run. Flacco has never thrown a bunch of tds. He's never thrown single digit interceptions, he has never thrown for a lot of yard over the course of the season. Even in the playoffs last year he wasn't good against Denver. He hit like 3 bombs, 2 of which should have been easy plays for the defender. He was awful in the middle of that game. It is as simple as Denver getting cooked on 2 easy plays at the end of the each half and Baltimore is done right there.
http://www.trbimg.com/img-510f3993/turbine/la-et-ct-joe-flacco-curse-super-bowl-20130203-001/600

HenZoneNation
March 5th, 2013, 10:50 AM

Dude you're kidding right. I love Eli, I'm a Giants season ticket holder. I can tell you without hesitation that their paths are following the exact same course. Before Eli won his Super Bowl there were grumblings that we should have stuck with Rivers and drafted Merriman. That went away. Nobody cares about fantasy football numbers. They care about wins and nobody has won more since he came in the league.

The Denver game...you might be the only guy I know, including Skip Worthless, who hates Joe Flacco, that walked away not being impressed. He tied Montana for the best post-season EVER...He's got an OC now who understands QB's and with Oher away from the LT spot, time to throw. Face it, the dude was tested, he was mocked, he was the joke of the town, and then he went out and beat Luck, Manning, and Brady. It's over...let it go.

As far as the contract goes...for Joe it's the same thing as he faced this year. You better win or else. This year it was to play for a contract, next year it's to justify it.

Mattymc727
March 5th, 2013, 11:00 AM
You would take Boldin over Gronk or Welker or Hernandez? TE's are passing options. Boldin would be fourth, maybe third on that team. From a WR standpoint, your right Boldin is better than Lloyd. However, without Joe taking shots down the field with Smith and Jones, Boldin just doesn't get open. He was very, very good in the Playoffs but he's had an up and down stay in Baltimore. Under Caldwell, I'd love to see him have a full year and really see what he can do because he was great in the playoffs. No doubt. Joe tied Montana for the best playoff performence ever. He was and deserved to be the Offensive MVP of the playoffs and the Super Bowl.

Boldin is a tall, fast, and powerful deep threat. Something the patriots lacked last season. Sure the pats are great a dinking and unking down the field, but when it came to burning the dbs deep, Flacco had something way better than Brady did. Of course I wouldnt take Boldin over the three names you mentioned, but Boldin brings something to the table that those three didnt last year. I can remember many occasion last season when Flacco would just heave it deep, only to have his *** saved by Boldin. Brady didnt have that ability, I wish he did. Regardless, we are getting off topic

HenZoneNation
March 5th, 2013, 11:17 AM
Kerwin and Ryan (Sirius NFL Radio) referenced Boldin's forty time coming out of college as a 4.7. It's why he fell to the second round. The second half of the season he came alive because they didn't ask him to run past people. He was a across the middle, sideline guy who can take the ball from defenders. Those throws that look like Flacco is just chucking it up are designed that way. I thought Michael Irvin did a great job (surprisingly) of commenting on how the Ravens attack has developed that trust between Joe and Boldin. That he'll make a throw and trust him to go up and get it. He doesn't do that with Smith and Jones...probably because it wouldn't work. They are the deep guys. Boldin is a lot of things, a deep threat he is not. However, he plays next year like he did in the playoffs...CASH.

chattownmocs
March 5th, 2013, 11:21 AM
Dude you're kidding right. I love Eli, I'm a Giants season ticket holder. I can tell you without hesitation that their paths are following the exact same course. Before Eli won his Super Bowl there were grumblings that we should have stuck with Rivers and drafted Merriman. That went away. Nobody cares about fantasy football numbers. They care about wins and nobody has won more since he came in the league.

The Denver game...you might be the only guy I know, including Skip Worthless, who hates Joe Flacco, that walked away not being impressed. He tied Montana for the best post-season EVER...He's got an OC now who understands QB's and with Oher away from the LT spot, time to throw. Face it, the dude was tested, he was mocked, he was the joke of the town, and then he went out and beat Luck, Manning, and Brady. It's over...let it go.

As far as the contract goes...for Joe it's the same thing as he faced this year. You better win or else. This year it was to play for a contract, next year it's to justify it.

I agree that people are prisoners of the moment and have a what have you done for me lately mentality. Every year another QB wins the Super Bowl and they are suddenly elevated to another level. Usually they are knocked back down the following year when they don't do it again. Everything is based on the previous game. Personally would rather look at the entire body of work. I saw Joe Flacco play at an elite level in the playoffs but I also remember the level that he played at the rest of his career.

Look at last year for example. People love to compare Peyton and Eli. Eli wins the Super Bowl, Peyton was out. Eli is not only better today, but he has had a better career. People actually believed that. Then Peyton goes out and has an awesome season. Plays at a mental level that no one has ever seen despite now having one of the weakest arms in the league and he is great again and Eli is Eli after his team doesn't make the playoffs.

chattownmocs
March 5th, 2013, 11:23 AM
Kerwin and Ryan (Sirius NFL Radio) referenced Boldin's forty time coming out of college as a 4.7. It's why he fell to the second round. The second half of the season he came alive because they didn't ask him to run past people. He was a across the middle, sideline guy who can take the ball from defenders. Those throws that look like Flacco is just chucking it up are designed that way. I thought Michael Irvin did a great job (surprisingly) of commenting on how the Ravens attack has developed that trust between Joe and Boldin. That he'll make a throw and trust him to go up and get it. He doesn't do that with Smith and Jones...probably because it wouldn't work. They are the deep guys. Boldin is a lot of things, a deep threat he is not. However, he plays next year like he did in the playoffs...CASH.

Jones and Boldin deserve a lot of credit. No one thought Jacoby Jones could humiliate Champ Bailey and if he didn't the ravens would have had no shot.

theasushow
March 5th, 2013, 11:24 AM

glad to see somebody hates Skip Bayless as much as me. he is such an arrogant prick, and even after the Ravens won the Super Bowl he still didnt give them much credit...blamed the win on the no-call hold in the end zone. I love when Stephen A. puts him in his place.

HenZoneNation
March 5th, 2013, 12:21 PM
I mean the last team to win a Super Bowl with an average QB was Tampa Bay ten years ago. Aside from that its pretty much been guys who have played very, very well. Big Ben's first win I guess can be considered a win by, at the time, a game manager. But aside from that it's been guys like Eli, Peyton, Rodgers, Brees, Brady, Ben, and now Joe. I guess the question is, would rather have a guy like Stafford or Ryan, who put up gawdy numbers but have done nothing when it counts, or a guy like Joe who wins, and wins consistently in the biggest moments. I think that if Matt Ryna and Stafford were on the Ravens and didn't have the receivers they did, playing against the AFC North defenses, outdoors you'd have a finer appreciation for Joe.

He's only been in the league five years. Come on. He's a top 7-8 QB now and moving up. Again, he's a dropped ball away from back to back Super Bowls and if you watch some of the other playoff losses he had guys make key drops that cost the Ravens wins and potential Super Bowl births. His first option would be other teams third and in some cases fourth options. Give him the weapons that some of these other QB's have, including Eli, and see what he does.

HenZoneNation
March 5th, 2013, 12:22 PM
glad to see somebody hates Skip Bayless as much as me. he is such an arrogant prick, and even after the Ravens won the Super Bowl he still didnt give them much credit...blamed the win on the no-call hold in the end zone. I love when Stephen A. puts him in his place.

Nothing beat when Jalen Rose took it to him about his High School basket ball career. I LOVED IT.

bluehenbillk
March 5th, 2013, 12:55 PM

2 questions:

1) Whats up with the Eli love?

2) Who played a better game in the BAL-DEN playoff game, Joe or Peyton?

chattownmocs
March 5th, 2013, 01:17 PM
2 questions:

1) Whats up with the Eli love?

2) Who played a better game in the BAL-DEN playoff game, Joe or Peyton?

I would have to give the nod to Flacco because of the Manning critical mistake and the big plays by Flacco. Throughout the course of the game I think Manning was at another level but the big plays negated that. I suppose this means that Joe Flacco is now the better QB.

HenZoneNation
March 5th, 2013, 01:20 PM
No...what it means is that one QB is at the end of great, great career...and one is entering his prime. I don't know how Joe's career will pan out, but it's off to a great start. Peyton, in my opinion, is one of the top 3 QB's to have ever played the game. The one knock on him is that he has a losing record in the post season.

Rekdiver
March 5th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Good for Joe. It just goes to show you how good talent gets buried on rosters sometimes. I knew he would do just fine in the pros when we watched him play against App in the NC. I'm very pleased for him

CFBfan
March 5th, 2013, 01:25 PM

you live on coulda-woulda-shoulda

Ivytalk
March 5th, 2013, 01:28 PM
So will he now endow the Joe Flacco Memorial Piss-Wall at UD?xsmiley_wix

HenZoneNation
March 5th, 2013, 02:11 PM
So will he now endow the Joe Flacco Memorial Piss-Wall at UD?xsmiley_wix

Luckily for us...in a series of brilliant moves and unfortunate circumstances....we fired his former head coach...good for us...who knows what will happen now.

GannonFan
March 5th, 2013, 02:51 PM
Boldin is a tall, fast, and powerful deep threat.

Huh? This may be the first time in Boldin's career that anyone has referred to him as a "fast, and powerful deep threat". The guy's been a possession receiver, a very good one, his entire career. He's never been a burner, he's never been a deep threat, and he certainly isn't getting faster and more of a deep threat as he ages.

seantaylor
March 6th, 2013, 01:40 AM
Bolden is definitely better than Hernanadez. Him and Welker are a wash. But, Gronk is the best of that four by a long shot. If he's healthy, he's the best weapon in football.

HenZoneNation
March 6th, 2013, 07:47 AM
I would definetly disagree on the Welker statement. Their stats are not even close. Boldin has yet to catch for over 1,000 yards since the Ravens aquired him as their #1 receiver. He's only had over 4 td's once in last four seasons (including his last year in AZ). Welker in the last four years has 5,119 yards (1,279 average) to Boldins 3,669 (917) and has 26 td's to Boldins 18. The Hernandez comparison is more interesting. Stat wise, Boldin has him...but all the things thta Hern can do makes the conversation much more interesting. I think if a trade was offered the Ravens would jump at it and the Pats would decline...In my opinion.

The Eagle's Cliff
March 6th, 2013, 08:04 AM
Why couldn't he take the QB job at Pitt from Tyler Palko who is currently a financial adviser for Northwestern Mutual?

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/79828319-quarterback-joe-flacco-of-the-university-of-wireimage.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215ABF3343C02EA54870776F481D6D0C32 64C70990967D5629A8DDADECFE1CD3F2

bluehenbillk
March 6th, 2013, 08:05 AM
I would definetly disagree on the Welker statement. Their stats are not even close. Boldin has yet to catch for over 1,000 yards since the Ravens aquired him as their #1 receiver. He's only had over 4 td's once in last four seasons (including his last year in AZ). Welker in the last four years has 5,119 yards (1,279 average) to Boldins 3,669 (917) and has 26 td's to Boldins 18. The Hernandez comparison is more interesting. Stat wise, Boldin has him...but all the things thta Hern can do makes the conversation much more interesting. I think if a trade was offered the Ravens would jump at it and the Pats would decline...In my opinion.

I agree that Welker has had better stats & even though they are different types of WR's I'd give the edge to Welker. That being said, I don't think the Ravens would "jump at" Welker versus Boldin. Boldin has said he'd rather retire than play for anyone other than the Ravens and Welker is a malcontent. Boldin fits that Ravens locker room much better than Welker ever could.

bluehenbillk
March 6th, 2013, 08:06 AM
Why couldn't he take the QB job at Pitt from Tyler Palko who is currently a financial adviser for Northwestern Mutual?

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/79828319-quarterback-joe-flacco-of-the-university-of-wireimage.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215ABF3343C02EA54870776F481D6D0C32 64C70990967D5629A8DDADECFE1CD3F2

That bonehead decision will haunt Dave Waanstedt for the rest of his life.

chattownmocs
March 6th, 2013, 08:47 AM

Anquan Boldin was an absolute monster in the postseason. Amazing how you want to give Flacco a pass for his mediocre regular seasons but not Boldin.

HenZoneNation
March 6th, 2013, 09:29 AM
How did Joe have a medicore season? He played two series of the final game of the season and still had close to 4,000 yards. He had 22 td's and 10 int's. And under an OC who didn't know what to do. Add to the fact that you have a Running Back who needs touches and that's the stats you get. Troy Aikman never had more than 3,400 yards in a season and why...because he had to give the ball to Emmit Smith as well. Marino didn't have that and he threw for 5,000. Who had the better career? Marino by stats, but he never won a Super Bowl. Not one...and that's why you play the game. Tony Romo puts up monster numbers and nobody cares. Can't win the big games. Boldin had a great Post-season...he has yet to catch for 1,000 yards. He's only had one season where he was over 4 td's. He also needs players around him to be effective. He's not a guy that can just go out and be THE MAN and He's had some key drops in his Raven's career. I for one want him to stay but he is what he is. Great hands and strength...old and slow. We shall see.

I wasn't talking about a Welker for Boldin trade I was talking about a Hernandez for Boldin trade.

HenZoneNation
March 6th, 2013, 09:31 AM

Are you suggesting that because Palko beat out Flacco at Pitt that the Ravens shouldn't sign him? Maybe the Patriots should call Drew Henson and dump Tom Brady....let's get this man a GM position. Maybe with the Jets.

henfan
March 6th, 2013, 11:21 AM
No...what it means is that one QB is at the end of great, great career...and one is entering his prime. I don't know how Joe's career will pan out, but it's off to a great start. Peyton, in my opinion, is one of the top 3 QB's to have ever played the game. The one knock on him is that he has a losing record in the post season.

Flacco's and Peyton's numbers through the first 5 years of their careers are very similar, except that Flacco won a championship. Look it up.

Wanna know why Flacco got paid? Results. It's the cumulative result of proving himself in clutch situations time and time again over a 5-year career. Abstract stats are nice to theorize about but getting the job done on the field when its needed is what pays the bills.

Combining regular season and playoffs, Flacco’s 63 wins are the most ever in a quarterback’s first five seasons.
Flacco is the only quarterback in NFL history to start and win at least one playoff game in each of his first five seasons.
Flacco has the most road playoff wins (six) in NFL history, surpassing Eli Manning’s record of five.
Flacco is the first rookie quarterback (2008) to ever win two playoff games.
Flacco tied Tom Brady for the most playoff wins (nine) in a player’s first five seasons.
Flacco is one of 39 quarterbacks to start in five different postseasons.
Flacco is the sixth quarterback to win a playoff game in five consecutive seasons (Ken Stabler, Troy Aikman, Brett Favre, Donovan McNabb and Tom Brady all did five straight as well).
Flacco’s 11 touchdown passes in the 2012 playoffs tied Joe Montana (1989) and Kurt Warner (2008) for the single-postseason record.
Flacco’s 126 attempts without an interception in the 2012 playoffs is a new single-postseason record, breaking Drew Brees’ mark of 102 attempts in 2009.
Flacco is the only quarterback to ever have four games in the same postseason with a passer rating over 100.0.

henfan
March 6th, 2013, 11:34 AM
Are you suggesting that because Palko beat out Flacco at Pitt that the Ravens shouldn't sign him?

No, he's suggesting that the Ravens should sign Jaybo Fumble.
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5288/5279051565_85d5627151_z.jpg

chattownmocs
March 6th, 2013, 11:43 AM
Flacco's and Peyton's numbers through the first 5 years of their careers are very similar, except that Flacco won a championship. Look it up.

Wanna know why Flacco got paid? Results. It's the cumulative result of proving himself in clutch situations time and time again over a 5-year career. Abstract stats are nice to theorize about but getting the job done on the field when its needed is what pays the bills.

Combining regular season and playoffs, Flacco’s 63 wins are the most ever in a quarterback’s first five seasons.
Flacco is the only quarterback in NFL history to start and win at least one playoff game in each of his first five seasons.
Flacco has the most road playoff wins (six) in NFL history, surpassing Eli Manning’s record of five.
Flacco is the first rookie quarterback (2008) to ever win two playoff games.
Flacco tied Tom Brady for the most playoff wins (nine) in a player’s first five seasons.
Flacco is one of 39 quarterbacks to start in five different postseasons.
Flacco is the sixth quarterback to win a playoff game in five consecutive seasons (Ken Stabler, Troy Aikman, Brett Favre, Donovan McNabb and Tom Brady all did five straight as well).
Flacco’s 11 touchdown passes in the 2012 playoffs tied Joe Montana (1989) and Kurt Warner (2008) for the single-postseason record.
Flacco’s 126 attempts without an interception in the 2012 playoffs is a new single-postseason record, breaking Drew Brees’ mark of 102 attempts in 2009.
Flacco is the only quarterback to ever have four games in the same postseason with a passer rating over 100.0.

What in the world are you talking about? Peyton Manning was not coddled in a game manager roll for 5 years. Their numbers are not remotely simililar. Peyton Manning came in with a heavy load to carry and threw way more yards, TDs, and Ints. How do they have similar numbers? Peyton Manning was the number 1 draft pick to a terrible franchise and carried it for 13 years. Joe Flacco was drafted into the coziest situation imaginable and asked not to lose games. One of the best long term defensive stretches in NFL history. To say he has been clutch time and time again is absurd. What did he do even this postseason that clutch? The inflated playoff numbers are what kills me. Most road wins? I'm sorry but the elite QBs in this league aren't playing many road playoff games because they have led their teams to the top seeds in the conference. That's not just today, that is throughout the history of the NFL. It's also much easier to pad your playoff record when you are playing wildcard games while the elites have a bye game. All playoff wins are not created equal.

bluehenbillk
March 6th, 2013, 11:55 AM
What did he do even this postseason that clutch?

Dude, did you even watch the AFC playoffs this year? Beating Denver (Manning) and New England (Brady) back-to-back weeks, on the road, outplaying both in the process....look I know you don't see clutch performances watching Chatty play on a regular basis but what more do you want Flacco to do?

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

chattownmocs
March 6th, 2013, 12:08 PM
Dude, did you even watch the AFC playoffs this year? Beating Denver (Manning) and New England (Brady) back-to-back weeks, on the road, outplaying both in the process....look I know you don't see clutch performances watching Chatty play on a regular basis but what more do you want Flacco to do?

Beating someone is not the same as being clutch. He threw up a couple of prayers against the Broncos. He didn't have long extended drives. They were completely inept against a poor New England defense until the 3rd quarter. Normally they would have been blown out when you come up empty that many times against New England. Against San Fran he was great at times but allowed San Fran to get back in the game as they came up empty time and time again and was lucky they didn't completely blow the game. He didn't anything in the clutch when the pressure was on.

BEAR
March 6th, 2013, 12:15 PM
San Fran was robbed on that end zone pass. Can't let the refs decide the game though..they obviously don't know how to make a call when the pressure is on them. xlolx

HenZoneNation
March 6th, 2013, 12:34 PM
You don't watch Ravens games...that's obvious. Joe has been clutch in many games and the Elite Defense that you are eluding too has not been that for many years. They played well this year but have at times imploded. The Atlanta game with one minute left and the Pitt playoff game come to mind. If you think Joe played game manager the last two years, then again, you don't watch the games. Peyton is Peyton and not being him doesn't make Joe average. Then again Joe's post season performances over his career vs. Peyton also doesn't compare when Manning is two games below five hundred. Again, you might be the only human being on the planet who didn't walk away impressed with what he did in Denver. I don't know what to tell you about his games against New England. Which of the three dominations would you like to address as he has thrown for 982 yards 8 td's, 2 int's, and should be 3-0 with 9td's had Lee "I'm out of league" Evans made a simple catch.

As far as the Super Bowl goes...the 49ers should thank the football Gods that blackout occurred because the route was on. Don't kid yourself. They lost that game on a lot more than a blown call.

chattownmocs
March 6th, 2013, 12:54 PM
You don't watch Ravens games...that's obvious. Joe has been clutch in many games and the Elite Defense that you are eluding too has not been that for many years. They played well this year but have at times imploded. The Atlanta game with one minute left and the Pitt playoff game come to mind. If you think Joe played game manager the last two years, then again, you don't watch the games. Peyton is Peyton and not being him doesn't make Joe average. Then again Joe's post season performances over his career vs. Peyton also doesn't compare when Manning is two games below five hundred. Again, you might be the only human being on the planet who didn't walk away impressed with what he did in Denver. I don't know what to tell you about his games against New England. Which of the three dominations would you like to address as he has thrown for 982 yards 8 td's, 2 int's, and should be 3-0 with 9td's had Lee "I'm out of league" Evans made a simple catch.

As far as the Super Bowl goes...the 49ers should thank the football Gods that blackout occurred because the route was on. Don't kid yourself. They lost that game on a lot more than a blown call.

`I'd say the play that Denver's S fell down on was a lot easier than the catch for Lee Evans. That kind of prayer is litterally almost never answered in the NFL and they got it answered in the playoffs. It could much more easily be 0 trips to the super bowl for Flacco. The playoff comparisons between Manning and Flacco remain laughable for reasons I've already stated. If you think that Joe Flacco and Peyton Manning are the largest reasons for their teams record in the playoffs than I really can't help you.

Why in the world anyone would try to justify this as a good move by Baltimore or try and put this guy in elite company is beyong me. It was a joke when Eli Manning became the highest paid player a few years ago and this is an even bigger joke. There are 4 great QBs in the NFL and their names are Manning, Brady, Brees, Rodgers. If any other QB is the highest paid player in the league than someone made a bad decision.

HenZoneNation
March 6th, 2013, 01:48 PM
1) Who are your top ten QB's? and remember you made this statement "I'm sorry but the elite QBs in this league aren't playing many road playoff games because they have led their teams to the top seeds in the conference. That's not just today, that is throughout the history of the NFL. " so they better have winning records because as we all know only QB's who secure home records are above average. So don't go telling me Stafford or Newton or Bradfor are better because they can't even get road playoff games.

2) Do you truly believe that there are only four great QB's in the whole league? That within itself is shocking especially coming from a guy hung up on seasonal stats with QB's putting up monster numbers.

3) "When Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Terrell Suggs say you're the face of the team now....you're not a game manager. None of those guys have ever been accussed of hiding what they really feel. Just ask Tom Brady.

4) The Denver bomb that you seem so hung up on occurred because the safety didn't think Joe could throw that far under such conditions. He took a poor angel, but again...you might be the only guy I know who wasn't impressed with that throw and that game, including known Flacco haters. The Lee Evans drop was a play any WR in League should make. Evans to his credit took full blame and admitted as much. Perfectly thrown ball.

Dude, you're a hater, that's all there is to it. Let me see your boy Locker make any of those plays that Joe made. You want to see an average QB, check out number 10 on your roster. Joe isn't Peyton, nobody is. But he's ELITE.

344Johnson
March 6th, 2013, 02:10 PM
All I have to say is that if Ben Roethlisberger is not the highest paid QB in the AFC North, it means someone overpaid. Sorry Joe.

bluehenbillk
March 6th, 2013, 02:15 PM
`The playoff comparisons between Manning and Flacco remain laughable

I agree 100%, Peyton Manning is one of the worst playoff QB's of the Super Bowl era, he couldn't hold Flacco's jock in the postseason.

HenZoneNation
March 6th, 2013, 02:21 PM
All I have to say is that if Ben Roethlisberger is not the highest paid QB in the AFC North, it means someone overpaid. Sorry Joe.

It's been (no pun intended) two years since he beat Joe...He's a hell of a player top ten no doubt, but his style of play has worn his body down quite a bit. A risky investment to say the least.

344Johnson
March 6th, 2013, 02:46 PM
It's been (no pun intended) two years since he beat Joe...He's a hell of a player top ten no doubt, but his style of play has worn his body down quite a bit. A risky investment to say the least.

Ben missed both games this year. And yeah, a couple of losses two years ago with the entire Steeler team playing hurt was a bummer.

2-0 vs. Ravens in the playoffs. 2-1 in Super Bowls. Better player. Point taken though as well.

henfan
March 6th, 2013, 02:50 PM
Peyton Manning was not coddled in a game manager roll for 5 years. Their numbers are not remotely simililar. Peyton Manning came in with a heavy load to carry and threw way more yards, TDs, and Ints. How do they have similar numbers?

What did he do even this postseason that clutch?

FIRST 5 YEARS OF THEIR CAREERS
TDs- Manning- 138 ; Flacco- 102 (edge: Manning)
INTs- Manning- 100; Flacco- 56 (edge: Flacco)
YDs- Manning- 16,418; Flacco- 17,633 (edge: Flacco)
Avg Comp %- Manning- 62.06%; Flacco- 60.50% (edge: Manning)
Total Comp- Manning- 1749; Flacco- 1507 (edge: Manning)
QB Rating- Manning- 85.9; Flacco- 86.3 (Flacco)

As I said, similar regular season stats through the first 5 years except that Flacco has produced better results in the post-season during that time.

As for being clutch in the post-season, Flacco had 11 TD's and no interceptions this past postseason. He’s the only QB in NFL history not named Joe Montana to do that. In the SB, he completed 67% of his throws with 2 TD passes, each more than 10 yds. He took down Manning & Brady in the post-season. Won the SB MVP. Not sure what else he could have possibly done in 2012.

Are all Chattanooga fans such bitter people? Jeeze, dude. You should be happy that an FCS guy is doing so well in the NFL.

henfan
March 6th, 2013, 02:53 PM

No, it simply means that Rapelesberger will get his chance to make even more money when his next contract is negotiated. That's how these things work. Flacco will be the highest paid until the next guy becomes highest paid.

344Johnson
March 6th, 2013, 02:55 PM
No, it simply means that Rapelesberger will get his chance to make even more money when his next contract is negotiated. That's how these things work. Flacco will be the highest paid until the next guy becomes highest paid.

Raven fan bitter about Steeler rings and success over the years? Ben is on his last big-time contract I believe.

chattownmocs
March 6th, 2013, 03:13 PM

As I said, similar regular season stats through the first 5 years except that Flacco has produced better results in the post-season during that time.

As for being clutch in the post-season, Flacco had 11 TD's and no interceptions this past postseason. He’s the only QB in NFL history not named Joe Montana to do that. In the SB, he completed 67% of his throws with 2 TD passes, each more than 10 yds. He took down Manning & Brady in the post-season. Won the SB MVP. Not sure what else he could have possibly done in 2012.

Are all Chattanooga fans such bitter people? Jeeze, dude. You should be happy that an FCS guy is doing so well in the NFL.

Manning threw for way more yards than that his first 5 years. It seems like you have left out a whole season. Again, the numbers are no where similar manning had significantly more numbers both good and bad. Also to not even post the situation in which both players were drafted into is completely ridiculous. Peyton Manning was the number 1 pick in the draft for a reason, because the colts were awful. They didn't use him with kid gloves and ask him to go out there and hand the ball off. He came out and took his lumps.

Joe Flacco has one stat on Peyton Manning and that is playoff W/L record. Peyton Manning has played some terrible playoff games, Joe Flacco has played some terrible playoff games and won. In the big picture I'm not sure anyone outside of a Delaware fan(not even a Baltimore fan) would attempt to make the argument that Joe Flacco is currently better than Peyton Manning, will be the next Peyton Manning, or will ever even approach Peyton Manning. Peyton Manning still has a ways to catch Favre but he still may do so as the most prolific QB in NFL history and hold every major passing record. Even if he doesn't he will still carry his 4 MVP trophies back to his beautiful house in Chattanooga. I doubt he will be hearing from Joe Flacco approaching any of these records. Joe will probably end up with a better playoff win/loss record. I guess you can't hurt your record if you don't make the playoff. If I had to guess Peyton will end up with more or the same amount of super bowl titles. I'd still give manning better odds to win another than Joe even though he has only 2-4 years left and Joe has 8-12.

ASUMountaineer
March 6th, 2013, 03:14 PM

There are no set of facts that are accepted by chattown. He still believes UTC has won the SoCon the past three seasons.

superman7515
March 6th, 2013, 04:01 PM
There are no set of facts that are accepted by chattown. He still believes UTC has won the SoCon the past three seasons.

For what it is worth, he did leave out a season. First 5 seasons: Manning - 20618. He was exactly 4,200 yards off, which is what Peyton had in his fifth season. As for the QBR, I don't know how he came up with that number because ProFootballReference says that ESPN didn't release all of the info needed to do it for past seasons and they only have the QBR back to 2008, so no way to double check it. I haven't been able to find an accurate historical QBR for past seasons.

HenZoneNation
March 6th, 2013, 04:19 PM
344Johnson. I was just really excited to use the pun. Ben is a Hall of Famer, a violent felon but a hall of Famer. I would say there is now a conversation about who is better as opposed to a few years ago when the gap was considerable.

HenZoneNation
March 6th, 2013, 04:34 PM
Ah...now I see you're a UT fan. Now it makes sense. I'm a Manning fan as well and I believe he's a better QB than Farve. In my opinion he's the best ever. That Doesn't take away from what Joe has done. The fact that he's even in the conversation with a guy like Manning says so much about what he has accomplished these first five years. So he doesn't have the yards or TDs as a great like Manning. He also didn't play in a Dome or throw to Harrison, Wayne, and Clark. Joe's first two years he played game manager, but the last three he has come into his own...especially in the playoffs. Ozzie Newsome paid him for a reason.

superman7515
April 1st, 2013, 04:50 PM
I can't tell if this is an April Fools joke that was posted a day early or the Flacco/UD bond really is severed to this extent without Keeler...

Joe Flacco Donation (http://www.retrieverweekly.com/sports/joe-flacco-donates-millions-to-umbc-1.3017662?pagereq=1#.UVn1jJNJ6J4)

With one swipe of a pen, Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco became the highest paid player in NFL history, earning an excess of $20 million per year. A valued member of the Baltimore community, Flacco now has the funds to continue to help the area, and one of his first major donations has come to the athletic department at UMBC.

Flacco’s donation of 3.7 million dollars will immensely improve the facilities, uniforms and facilities here at UMBC. The biggest portion of the donation will go to building a new arena that can be used for basketball, volleyball and non-athletic events such as commencement.

Because of his massive generosity, the arena will be named “Joe Flacco Arena.”

“It’s wonderful that such a popular figure in Baltimore has blessed UMBC with this gift,” one UMBC official said. “This money will change our athletic department forever.”

Flacco had said he planned on giving a huge sum of money to a university in the Baltimore area and it just so happened that UMBC got the money.

Towson proved to be the leading candidate at first, but Flacco attended the University of Delaware. The Delaware Blue Hens and Towson Tigers are rivals in the Colonial Athletic Association (CAA).

Morgan State and Coppin State also received donations from Flacco, while Loyola has enough money already.

smallcollegefbfan
April 2nd, 2013, 12:42 PM

I think they overpaid Flacco because that contract does not allow them to keep the other pieces in place. Unless they are really confident in most of their backups to be impact players they are going to have a hard time putting a lot of pieces around Flacco. Flacco will certainly have to earn every penny of that money if he is to return to the playoffs next year. Because they made him the highest paid player in the NFL he has to lead them to the playoffs next year, not win the Super Bowl but at least win 9-11 games during the season and a playoff berth, to justify it with losing all those pieces.

I'll say this. I think Flacco has gotten better and is a good player but I would bet he won't actually get 80% of that money and I'd bet the Ravens will be asking for him to take a paycut or will be looking to trade him in 3 years because the money will be so high. You have a 130M salary cap and he will be counting for like 23 or 25M of that in a couple years. That's a huge hit for one player.

smallcollegefbfan
April 2nd, 2013, 12:44 PM

I've said ignore him. You guys are just letting a 13 year old in his mother's basement (because an adult can't be this naive) get to you. Ignore him and talk amongst the adults. xlolx

HenZoneNation
April 3rd, 2013, 08:10 AM
I think they overpaid Flacco because that contract does not allow them to keep the other pieces in place. Unless they are really confident in most of their backups to be impact players they are going to have a hard time putting a lot of pieces around Flacco. Flacco will certainly have to earn every penny of that money if he is to return to the playoffs next year. Because they made him the highest paid player in the NFL he has to lead them to the playoffs next year, not win the Super Bowl but at least win 9-11 games during the season and a playoff berth, to justify it with losing all those pieces.

I'll say this. I think Flacco has gotten better and is a good player but I would bet he won't actually get 80% of that money and I'd bet the Ravens will be asking for him to take a paycut or will be looking to trade him in 3 years because the money will be so high. You have a 130M salary cap and he will be counting for like 23 or 25M of that in a couple years. That's a huge hit for one player.

You will see that by the end of next year Joe will probably not even be in the top five paid QB's in the league. Right now Romo is getting more guarenteed money, Rodgers and Matt Ryan are coming up soon. Who knows after that. It's a passing league now so when you got a guy who wins and has the kind of upside Joe has you pull the trigger. The problem for the Ravens was two fold: 1) Teams way over paid for Krueger, Elerby, and Reed. There was no way the Ravens were gonna pay 40 mil for Krueger (They got Dummerville for 35) or 35 mil for Elerby. There's nothing a GM can do about that. I would tend to think the Browns and Dolphins will be cutting them before the Ravens even mention Joe. Pollard and Harbaugh just didn't get along. The only real cap casualty, and now it seems they could have kept him was Boldin. That is a shame. 2) They put a lot of money into Rice and Nagata. Both are very good players but that's a ton od dough to pump into two positions you can get by on without having premier players in those spots.

HenZoneNation
April 4th, 2013, 09:00 AM
In regards to the UT fans's claim that Flacco is over paid this year...here is a recent article from ESPN:

Flacco actually helped the Ravens by signing his (soon-to-be-broken) record deal. His salary-cap number in 2013 is $6.8 million ($1 million in base salary and $5.8 million pro-rated signing bonus). If the Ravens had to put the exclusive franchise tag on Flacco, they would have had to use an additional $12 million of cap space on the Super Bowl MVP this season. That likely would have meant no linebacker Elvis Dumervil ($2.5 million cap hit), wide receiver Jacoby Jones ($4.9 million), fullback Vonta Leach ($3 million), defensive lineman Chris Canty ($1.5 million) and defensive tackle Marcus Spears ($1.2 million) on this year's team.

Clearly this year he didn't hurt the Ravens at all.