PDA

View Full Version : "Keep ASU FCS" website and petition.

WataugaDave
March 1st, 2013, 12:16 PM
Came across this yesterday. Thought it might interest those of you who have strong feeling on the subject.

http://keepasufcs.info/

Apphole
March 1st, 2013, 12:18 PM
What a ****ing moron. As biased and misinformed as he is, he's a year and a half late regardless. I'll bet any amount of money that this fool is a Tar Heel BBall fan. The defeatist attitude left with Borkowski.

fc97
March 1st, 2013, 12:53 PM
you know, just because it is late or an opposing opinion doesnt make the person a moron or a carolina fan.

ursus arctos horribilis
March 1st, 2013, 12:58 PM
What a ****ing moron. As biased and misinformed as he is, he's a year and a half late regardless. I'll bet any amount of money that this fool is a Tar Heel BBall fan. The defeatist attitude left with Borkowski.

I didn't read it all. what parts is he misinformed on?

cmaxwellgsu
March 1st, 2013, 01:01 PM
Reminds me of a lot of our "Stay FCS" crowd. They want champagne on a beer budget. Their objections are always about price and parking. Then they start contradicting themselves when they are called on their cheapness, just like this website says enrollment will be affected by the move due to losing and in the next tab says the student seats will be good to give for free. That kind of reasoning always annoys me.

Apphole
March 1st, 2013, 01:04 PM

Says FIU has had a losing seasons since 06 and they've been a bowl team the last two, provides an outdated map of the wrong FBS conference, somehow spins stadium enhancements into something negative. I could go on.

CBarrier has a mutual friend of the kid and apparently he's an idiot in most phases of his life, so no surprise there.

No one is taking the idiot seriously, especially not Cobb or the Board of trustees. He made a facebook group for the petition on Valentines day and it has a whopping 10 likes. xlolx

Skjellyfetti
March 1st, 2013, 01:04 PM
His grammar and arguments are plain awful.

Apphole
March 1st, 2013, 01:06 PM
"Athletic Director Charlie Cobb has gone on the record as saying ASU will move divisions at the next available opportunity. That means ASU could be playing FBS football as soon as next fall semester."

Clearly this dude has done his homework.... xlolx

Apphole
March 1st, 2013, 01:07 PM
you know, just because it is late or an opposing opinion doesnt make the person a moron or a carolina fan.

Not necessarily, but in this case, it does.

knucklehead
March 1st, 2013, 01:19 PM
WOW, his arguments are very weak, at best. No worries, noone will listen.

ASUMountaineer
March 1st, 2013, 01:19 PM
That website and arguments are epically bad. Seriously.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 1st, 2013, 01:20 PM
Clearly AGS posters are concerned since they went right for the personal attacks.

Apphole
March 1st, 2013, 01:27 PM
Clearly AGS posters are concerned since they went right for the personal attacks.

Not attacking, just making observations. Call a spade a spade, will ya? The guy is clearly not very smart. Or, at the very least, he has poorly argued his point to the extent that most observers with any knowledge of the topic would characterize him as misinformed, misguided and every other fancy word for wrong and stupid.

fc97
March 1st, 2013, 01:35 PM
he's an app student and not smart ;)

come on now!

Apphole
March 1st, 2013, 01:38 PM

come on now!

+1

CID1990
March 1st, 2013, 03:14 PM

Lol u troll

Sent from the center of the universe.

Southern Bison
March 1st, 2013, 03:30 PM

come on now!

Well played!

xoutofrepx

Skjellyfetti
March 1st, 2013, 04:44 PM

Yes. Our dreams of FBS came to a screeching halt the moment an undergrad kid (sloppily) put together a website full of weak arguments and misinformation.

I look for the administration and the Board of Trustees to reverse their decision in the coming week. FCS for the long haul!

Lehigh Football Nation
March 1st, 2013, 05:00 PM
Yes. Our dreams of FBS came to a screeching halt the moment an undergrad kid (sloppily) put together a website full of weak arguments and misinformation.

I look for the administration and the Board of Trustees to reverse their decision in the coming week. FCS for the long haul!

I'm glad you're man enough to admit it.

CID1990
March 1st, 2013, 05:07 PM
This guy seems fairly lucid and succinct. He can't possibly be an ASU student. I'm think this is just a WCU kid yanking you guys' chain.

hapapp
March 1st, 2013, 06:13 PM
I'm looking forward to the day we have something positive to announce about FBS, and the sooner the better. However, it does suggest some insecurity when one has to resort to ad hominem attacks. I agree that he has some grammatical problems and his facts are a bit outdated. Nonetheless, I don't believe he deserved to called an idiot. My guess is he is an "idiot" because he has a different view on the FBS/FCS argument.

IBleedYellow
March 1st, 2013, 10:59 PM
I'm looking forward to the day we have something positive to announce about FBS, and the sooner the better. However, it does suggest some insecurity when one has to resort to ad hominem attacks. I agree that he has some grammatical problems and his facts are a bit outdated. Nonetheless, I don't believe he deserved to called an idiot. My guess is he is an "idiot" because he has a different view on the FBS/FCS argument.

You know, I normally would never condone for a fan base to call each other idiots, but then I met Lakes.

Either way, this guy is nowhere near Lakes level, so I feel that you guys would be best to actually contact him and prove him incorrect with facts. There is no better argument than one based upon facts, and his isn't all that grounded in facts, not too ,mention its like 2-3 years too late.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

T-Dog
March 2nd, 2013, 12:14 AM
When the FBS announcement comes, the negative nancies will come out of the woodwork.

cbarrier90
March 2nd, 2013, 12:25 AM
Says FIU has had a losing seasons since 06 and they've been a bowl team the last two, provides an outdated map of the wrong FBS conference, somehow spins stadium enhancements into something negative. I could go on.

CBarrier has a mutual friend of the kid and apparently he's an idiot in most phases of his life, so no surprise there.

No one is taking the idiot seriously, especially not Cobb or the Board of trustees. He made a facebook group for the petition on Valentines day and it has a whopping 10 likes. xlolx

Apparently he has also periodically set up a booth in the Student Union. I have yet to find it.

There are completely valid arguments on both sides of the coin in this debate and unfortunately, he used none of those valid arguments. Just another App fan that hopped on the bandwagon because we were winning games at a clip higher than everyone else in the state of NC. He fails to realize there are many more pieces to the puzzle regarding this move than simply on the football field...

Perhaps if he stepped into the Holmes Center and saw the crowds that are now fortunate to get above the HUNDREDS for a men's basketball team currently in 4th in the juggernaut that is the Southern Conference, he'd understand...

And, though I failed to quote the post, well played, FC xlolx

seantaylor
March 2nd, 2013, 12:39 AM
Reminds me of a lot of our "Stay FCS" crowd. They want champagne on a beer budget. Their objections are always about price and parking. Then they start contradicting themselves when they are called on their cheapness, just like this website says enrollment will be affected by the move due to losing and in the next tab says the student seats will be good to give for free. That kind of reasoning always annoys me.

Exactly. Always what is best for me. TK is killing those rubes in droves now.

walliver
March 2nd, 2013, 07:43 AM

Perhaps if he stepped into the Holmes Center and saw the crowds that are now fortunate to get above the HUNDREDS for a men's basketball team currently in 4th in the juggernaut that is the Southern Conference, he'd understand...

The SunBelt isn't going to help that. Even if an invitation comes that afternoon, ASU would still be in a far less prestigious conference than UNC, NC State, Duke, Wake Forest, UNCC, and probably UNC-W, it would probably give you a small recruiting advantage over UNC-G and Elon.

cbarrier90
March 2nd, 2013, 09:26 AM
The SunBelt isn't going to help that. Even if an invitation comes that afternoon, ASU would still be in a far less prestigious conference than UNC, NC State, Duke, Wake Forest, UNCC, and probably UNC-W, it would probably give you a small recruiting advantage over UNC-G and Elon.

We're not trying to be UNC, NC State, Duke or Wake. We're just trying to get a halfway decent basketball program (I hope.) In this crowded market, the best you can hope for is that your own program is good enough to make students and alums come to the Holmes Center over watching [insert ACC team here] on TV. Football has been able to do that consistently, especially post-2007. Basketball hasn't. For what it's worth:

Conference RPI

Sun Belt: 15/33
Southern: 27/33

With Charleston leaving, that 27th ranking is only going to get worse, and Kennesaw State and Mercer aren't going to save the day.

dgtw
March 2nd, 2013, 09:43 AM
If you suck in the Southern Conference, how do you hope to compete in the Sun Belt? Although I do think you'd get better recruits if you move to Division I. (Yes, I know you are DI, but most people think FCS is separate from the "big boys").

IBleedYellow
March 2nd, 2013, 10:12 AM
If you suck in the Southern Conference, how do you hope to compete in the Sun Belt? Although I do think you'd get better recruits if you move to Division I. (Yes, I know you are DI, but most people think FCS is separate from the "big boys").

With that logic, how could it ever be possible for the Missouri Valley to be ranked 9th in RPI when they have teams that play at the FCS level?

Apphole
March 2nd, 2013, 10:29 AM

Relative to the teams in the conference we play we won't get much better until we have a new coach. Overall though, we will get better players and have a better program by jumping up 12 slots in RPI. No one is hoping or expecting the BBball program to all of the sudden explode.

And for the record, we don't "suck in the Southern Confernence." We're playing for a seed and a first round bye in the SoCon today. But when you have a fanbase used to excellence across the board and you're medicre in a TERRIBLE basketball conference, the middle is unacceptable.

Eaglesrus
March 2nd, 2013, 02:07 PM

Absolutely not true, at least not in all cases. Though I have accepted the inevitability and now think its something we have to do my concerns never have had to do with what it will cost me.

StorminASU
March 2nd, 2013, 02:42 PM

Just found the guy on facebook. I guess knowing a few former players who now go to church with the guy who is the team chaplain makes you an authority on football and its future. I do not see how anyone can look at the future of college football and think staying fcs is the answer. It's going to be so bush league in such a short time if things go the way they could.

CID1990
March 2nd, 2013, 07:49 PM
It's going to be so bush league in such a short time if things go the way they could.

When you guys GTFO, do you promise to GTFO of this forum with all the BS about FCS?

Apphole
March 2nd, 2013, 08:34 PM
When you guys GTFO, do you promise to GTFO of this forum with all the BS about FCS?

I plan to adopt an FCS team to pull for. I might be an NCCU poster if I decide to continue my education in Durham this fall. Go Eagles!!

You can't get rid of me that easily!

ASUMountaineer
March 4th, 2013, 08:35 AM

I'm too pot-committed CID. Your dream will not be realized. xlolx

Go Apps
March 5th, 2013, 06:47 AM
"Athletic Director Charlie Cobb has gone on the record as saying ASU will move divisions at the next available opportunity. That means ASU could be playing FBS football as soon as next fall semester."

Clearly this dude has done his homework.... xlolx

Well if you want to bring up Cobb we can do that - he is a complete A###### - he is above everyone and ignores the fan base - have experienced it as with too many others. Send him packing!!!

Apphole
March 5th, 2013, 09:04 AM
Well if you want to bring up Cobb we can do that - he is a complete A###### - he is above everyone and ignores the fan base - have experienced it as with too many others. Send him packing!!!

Things Cobb has done wrong: Hiring Jason Capel and taking way too damn long to secure an FBS invite.
Things Cobb has done right: Committed to an FBS move, Hiring Darcy Vincent, Hiring Jones and Chris Pollard and relieving coach Moore.

My opinion of Cobb and whether or not he deserves a job at Appalachian hinges entirely on his ability to get this FBS deal done.

You sound like a member of Jerry Moore's church's congregation and one of the fools on Appfan.com with a blanket anti-Cobb statement like that. Axe to grind?

TheRevSFA
March 5th, 2013, 09:39 AM
I plan to adopt an FCS team to pull for. I might be an NCCU poster if I decide to continue my education in Durham this fall. Go Eagles!!

I'll go for App in FBS and you support SFA in FCS.

Apphole
March 5th, 2013, 09:42 AM
I'll go for App in FBS and you support SFA in FCS.

Deal!

Go Apps
March 5th, 2013, 10:38 AM
Things Cobb has done wrong: Hiring Jason Capel and taking way too damn long to secure an FBS invite.
Things Cobb has done right: Committed to an FBS move, Hiring Darcy Vincent, Hiring Jones and Chris Pollard and relieving coach Moore.

My opinion of Cobb and whether or not he deserves a job at Appalachian hinges entirely on his ability to get this FBS deal done.

You sound like a member of Jerry Moore's church's congregation and one of the fools on Appfan.com with a blanket anti-Cobb statement like that. Axe to grind?

Nope on the Moore Bandwagon - so you can drop that theory - not a fool on Appfan.com - so you can drop that theory as well.

I have watched this guy ignore too many ASU alumni who pay and have been paying $$$$$$$ - so enough yes it is personal and there are many others that feel the same way!!

But you would be right on one theory - I have no interest moving to FBS level - not unless a real conference comes calling like the ACC - which will never happen...if you want pull for a Troy State, please go now and get your season tickets - Enjoy!!

Apphole
March 5th, 2013, 10:43 AM
Nope on the Moore Bandwagon - so you can drop that theory - not a fool on Appfan.com - so you can drop that theory as well.

I have watched this guy ignore too many ASU alumni who pay and have been paying $$$$$$$ - so enough yes it is personal and there are many others that feel the same way!!

But you would be right on one theory - I have no interest moving to FBS level - not unless a real conference comes calling like the ACC - which will never happen...if you want pull for a Troy State, please go now and get your season tickets - Enjoy!!

Bingo. I hope you get your axe nice and sharp. Meanwhile, most of us are embracing institutional progress and our coming move to D-1.

The Moody1
March 5th, 2013, 11:03 AM

Would you be happy if App stayed FCS and brought back the roach as AD? I have spoken to Cobb a couple of times and he definitely isn't Mr. Personality and isn't the smoozing kind of guy. If you need an attaboy just talk to Gerald or Rick.

ASUMountaineer
March 5th, 2013, 12:11 PM

I haven't bothered to really engage CC for anything personal, but a buddy of mine did. He emailed CC to get Coach Moore autographed footballs for his groomsmen. CC had my buddy mail the footballs to him, got Coach Moore to sign them all, and then held them until the next football game so my buddy could pick them up. At the time, my buddy was a non-YC alum. Now, I know this isn't an amazing, over-the-top act for CC, but it was generous. Based off of that one experience, I personally have no complaints about him outside of hiring Jason Capel.

Go Apps
March 5th, 2013, 12:49 PM
Would you be happy if App stayed FCS and brought back the roach as AD? I have spoken to Cobb a couple of times and he definitely isn't Mr. Personality and isn't the smoozing kind of guy. If you need an attaboy just talk to Gerald or Rick.

Nope not suggesting we bring those guys back at all - on the FBS front I am good if it is right!

Apphole
March 5th, 2013, 12:51 PM
Nope not suggesting we bring those guys back at all - on the FBS front I am good if it is right!

Well read up on the modern SunBelt conference compared to any other feasible conference including the SoCon and you might feel better about the inevitable.

I mean, I'd love to go to the ACC too, but lets be reasonable.

fc97
March 6th, 2013, 06:55 AM
Bingo. I hope you get your axe nice and sharp. Meanwhile, most of us are embracing institutional progress and our coming move to D-1.

and this right here is what people are talking about "institutional progress" has nothing to do with sports. a move isnt even necessarily progressive or recessive. but the thing that so many of us are sick of hearing is stuff like this.

progress = good
staying = not progressive
socon = not progressive
not progressive = bad

when you term it like that, you end any hope of conversation on the matter. this is right out of political playbooks.

ThompsonThe
March 6th, 2013, 08:41 AM
You cannot get to where you want to be unless you take the first step.

Accelerati Incredibilus
March 7th, 2013, 12:42 AM

The Roach hired Pollard. While he is an major upgrade over what we had I am not a Cobb fan. The guy has about as much personality as a paper bag and has a hard time telling the truth on occasions.

cbarrier90
March 8th, 2013, 01:52 PM
The Roach hired Pollard. While he is an major upgrade over what we had I am not a Cobb fan. The guy has about as much personality as a paper bag and has a hard time telling the truth on occasions.

His job is not to be Mr. Personality. His job is to win. He is doing his job.

fc97
March 8th, 2013, 02:29 PM
His job is not to be Mr. Personality. His job is to win. He is doing his job.

actually thats not his job. his job is to hire people and manage a department and be the face of athletics to the outside world. his job is to hire coaches that not only win, but do well in class and graduate. his job is to hire compliance officers to ensure the students inside the department meet school rules and academic standards. his job is also to be a public face for all the programs combined, whether to alumni, donors, corporate sponsors.

he's the captain of the ship. the winners are supposed to be under him. and winning is only a small part of his overall command.

this is all in the public position description for the job when it was filled.

WataugaDave
March 8th, 2013, 02:59 PM

I have a cousin who goes to Campbell. I'll pretend to actually give a **** about the Camels just to stick around.