PDA

View Full Version : JSU 200 million, 50k stadium

JSUBison
February 22nd, 2013, 11:10 PM
http://blogs.clarionledger.com/jsu/2013/02/22/200-million-for-jsus-domed-stadium/

If JSU can get 75 million from the state, plus the rest from donors, I would be shocked. But assuming they can, I can't see sitting in the SWAC for very much longer. Sun Belt?

superman7515
February 22nd, 2013, 11:49 PM
Alabama State built their new stadium, which seats 26.5k but is expandable to 55k, for $62 million. The SWAC schools (with the exception of MVSU) are looking for bigger and bigger stadiums as they have a bit of an arms race amongst themselves. FAMU was the last HBCU to try leaving an HBCU conference, they started for the FBS in 2004, but didn't have a conference invitation and a combination of issues led them to give up after only one year. None of the issues FAMU had would be issues today, namely because their issues stemmed from FAMU trying to move up as a 1A Independent, which is no longer allowed. If they could get a Sun Belt invitation, they would probably pursue it, but I don't think that is Jackson State's focus. If you were to ask at one of the SWAC boards you'd get a resounding "No" answer about whether or not they could make it, but that is largely because of the "crabs in a basket" mentality displayed, one tries to get out and the others pull him back in. Whenever one of the HBCU's tries taking a step forward, all of the fans and admin from the others get really vocal about how they won't be able to make it, it's a huge mistake, you'll never make it on your own, you need to take other HBCU's with you or you'll fail, etc etc etc. And that's not just my opinion, a well respected gentleman I consider a friend was interviewed for the radio show last season and was involved with the administration of HBCU athletics very intimately for decades and we've had this discussion before. For all the "haters" on here about HBCU's, you've never seen anyone hate on a school as bad as they do themselves when one tries to set out on their own.

walliver
February 23rd, 2013, 08:24 AM
I don't see FBS for Jackson State, and to be honest, I don't see what FBS would bring to JSU. The HBCU's are in a special situation. They can attract large crowds, and sign TV contracts, without having to compete at FBS funding level.

major095
February 23rd, 2013, 10:57 AM
Alabama State built their new stadium, which seats 26.5k but is expandable to 55k, for $62 million. The SWAC schools (with the exception of MVSU) are looking for bigger and bigger stadiums as they have a bit of an arms race amongst themselves. FAMU was the last HBCU to try leaving an HBCU conference, they started for the FBS in 2004, but didn't have a conference invitation and a combination of issues led them to give up after only one year. None of the issues FAMU had would be issues today, namely because their issues stemmed from FAMU trying to move up as a 1A Independent, which is no longer allowed. If they could get a Sun Belt invitation, they would probably pursue it, but I don't think that is Jackson State's focus. If you were to ask at one of the SWAC boards you'd get a resounding "No" answer about whether or not they could make it, but that is largely because of the "crabs in a basket" mentality displayed, one tries to get out and the others pull him back in. Whenever one of the HBCU's tries taking a step forward, all of the fans and admin from the others get really vocal about how they won't be able to make it, it's a huge mistake, you'll never make it on your own, you need to take other HBCU's with you or you'll fail, etc etc etc. And that's not just my opinion, a well respected gentleman I consider a friend was interviewed for the radio show last season and was involved with the administration of HBCU athletics very intimately for decades and we've had this discussion before. For all the "haters" on here about HBCU's, you've never seen anyone hate on a school as bad as they do themselves when one tries to set out on their own.

I can easily see jackson state moving up to fbs. they are talking about raising 125 million and walliver says they can't compete at fbs funding levels? huh. there is not a school in the state of mississippi that doesn't benefit from having jackson state on their schedule. usm won't play them because the games were a bit too competitive. as I posted before, alabama state has already said they are moving up. they are just trying to get an invitation...and soon. jackson state is open to switching conferences as well. both have basically said the will take a circuitous route to fbs need be.

I am a swacboard/tspn poster and it's a resounding yes. as for needing other hbcu's to move, that would make it easier from scheduling teams alumni want to see, but leadership at the school really sets the table on those things. alabama state had set up to open the season at home with sam houston (now I believe they are negotiating with jacksonville state). either of those opponents will see 20,000+ butts in seats in montgomery. I believe within the next 3 seasons alabama state will be a member of the sunbelt and jackson state (if the stadium happens) not far behind. they can't stay in the swac w/ a 50k seat domed stadium. usm, ole miss, and miss state will fight that stadium tooth and nail though If I were betting and try and get them to accept a 25k, 50 million stadium.

DFW HOYA
February 23rd, 2013, 12:43 PM
This is financially unsustainable for any number of reasons, amont them:

1. The Mississippi state budget isn't likely to have $75M available in this session.

2. With all the wrangling about how to better support the schools in Alcorn and Itta Bena, a $200 million commitment for a school not located in Oxford is not going to get legislative support.

3. If Jackson State devoted its entire endowment revenue, beginning in 2014, to meet the $125 million fundraising target, the principal on the stadium would be paid off in 2322.

4. Finally, where is the revenue payoff in this project? OK, six JSU home games, maybe you talk Ole Miss into one home game a year, high school football playoffs, some motocross, some concerts, etc., and that's it. Can a campus of 8,000 mostly commuter students keep this financially feasible? Can a city of 175,000, which has lost population since the 1970's support it? Would a metro population of 500,000 do any better? Chattanooga has 170,000 people and no one is thinking it can support a 50,000 seat dome with year-round events.

seantaylor
February 24th, 2013, 03:29 AM
No SWAC team has a shot in hell of moving up. Lets be real.

GAD
February 24th, 2013, 08:42 AM
Its not really a "Crabs in a basket" mentality as much as it is a you have to know your fans, and what they want. The average HBCU fans likes games with other HBCUs. Will games with SBC foes draw as much as HBCU foes, and if you are losing how long will your fans remain interested?
Jackson State vs. Tennessee draws 45 to 50K
Jackson State vs. Southern can draw 35 to 60K
Jackson State vs. Alcorn about 40K
Jackson State vs. Grambling 25K
joining the SBC or CUSA could actually cause attendace to decrease

superman7515
February 24th, 2013, 12:40 PM
Like I said, it's nothing personal, I've had the conversation more times than I'd probably care to count about MEAC & SWAC schools who have been in the papers for looking for a new home and those with decades of front office experience have said the response is "crabs in a basket" (which was the first time I'd ever heard that before) because the other HBCU schools are afraid of getting left behind, so they put out as much negativity as possible to try to influence the fans/admin/etc of those programs to stay home.

major095
February 24th, 2013, 03:49 PM

let me say it like this then. alabama state has had just as many informal conversations with the sunbelt about moving up as georgia southern. they are closer to moving up than georgia southern because their stadium is not on the drawing board much like stadium expansion plans over there. they were told they need to become more competitive in all their athletic programs and so they built new facilities and hired new coaches and put old ones on notice. they are getting/have gotten their ducks in a row. what is your argument that they don't have a shot in hell of moving up? your previous statement, though concise, lacked the detail to be persuasive. by the way, I teach math so If you have any numbers that'd be awesome to include.

BluBengal07
February 24th, 2013, 04:07 PM
xcoffeex
it's too early to be chatting about this subject over here. when the details comes out, it will be posted and should of been initially posted. the initial announce has been made yes, the details that have been presented privately will be provided publicly shortly. just let the process happen. Anyways, this is a new administration at JSU and have been quite active (recent news) in expanding the university and overriding the folks that said they shouldn't, couldn't, wouldn't. This is just another step to the master plan.

i bet this got so many hits because folks thought this was referring to Jacksonville State. lol

Nickels
February 25th, 2013, 01:34 AM
let me say it like this then. alabama state has had just as many informal conversations with the sunbelt about moving up as georgia southern. they are closer to moving up than georgia southern because their stadium is not on the drawing board much like stadium expansion plans over there. they were told they need to become more competitive in all their athletic programs and so they built new facilities and hired new coaches and put old ones on notice. they are getting/have gotten their ducks in a row. what is your argument that they don't have a shot in hell of moving up? your previous statement, though concise, lacked the detail to be persuasive. by the way, I teach math so If you have any numbers that'd be awesome to include.I wouldn't let you frauds join my conference. I would want teams that follow through with their promises. Not like your crap AD that left us out to dry this month. It would have been a curb stomping anyway...

pike51
February 25th, 2013, 11:44 AM
let me say it like this then. alabama state has had just as many informal conversations with the sunbelt about moving up as georgia southern. they are closer to moving up than georgia southern because their stadium is not on the drawing board much like stadium expansion plans over there.

Obviously you have absolutely no idea WTF you are talking about. Our stadium expansion is much more than just plans as ground breaks in just a few short weeks.

fc97
February 25th, 2013, 02:08 PM
a&t tried it too but didn't make it as far as a&m

superman7515
February 25th, 2013, 02:18 PM
A&T never tried, they just announced they were going to look into it and never made it any farther. FAMU left the MEAC, had a transitional year where they played mostly FBS opponents, and then were forced back when the MEAC told them either all or nothing. They had been playing that year with all sports in the MEAC except football, which was independent, but the MEAC told them either bring football back or all of your other teams are getting kicked out. Unable, or unwilling as others have said, to secure an all-sports conference somewhere else (they really made no effort in contacting the Sun Belt, Atlantic Sun, Big South, or anyone else), FAMU returned to the MEAC. They've actually left the MEAC twice, once in the attempt to move up, and once just because they were ticked off at the MEAC front office.

DEX
February 25th, 2013, 02:58 PM
a&t tried it too but didn't make it as far as a&m

A&T never attempted to move to FBS. Never even conducted a feasibility study. It was all speculation around the rants of some supposed millionaire who offered to help fund the move if we were interested.

GAD
February 25th, 2013, 03:19 PM
Why is that? SWAC schools have received offers to move up they turned them down.

major095
February 25th, 2013, 09:30 PM
I wouldn't let you frauds join my conference. I would want teams that follow through with their promises. Not like your crap AD that left us out to dry this month. It would have been a curb stomping anyway...

Who is trying to join your conference? lol I don't know what the deal was with that game, and by your comments I'd guess you can't offer any details on the back story either. from what I hear bama state is talking with jacksonville state about opening the season in montgomery. I also know they are looking at other alternatives, but if you get any details other than crap ad, and frauds, please let me know. By the way, was there a signed contract? A buyout? I don't doubt the curb stomping, but you never know.

Obviously you have absolutely no idea WTF you are talking about. Our stadium expansion is much more than just plans as ground breaks in just a few short weeks.

My fault...It's much more than just plans and something less than concrete you can stand on..at least for a few weeks. Hey, your further along than jackson state...for now. Obviously you took my comments about GA So personal so many appologies, but what you didn't dispute is that alabama state is currently more prepared for fbs that the eagles. they aren't preparing to build, they've built. they aren't upgrading...they've upgraded. football team is winning games. baseball getting votes for top 25. bowling ranked in top 20 this year. basketball team with multiple recent ncaa trips. women's track with 5 straight confence titles. it's not just football that determines readiness to move up, but the entire athletic dept. what's going on outside of ga southern football?

Nickels
February 25th, 2013, 09:50 PM
Who is trying to join your conference? lol I don't know what the deal was with that game, and by your comments I'd guess you can't offer any details on the back story either. from what I hear bama state is talking with jacksonville state about opening the season in montgomery. I also know they are looking at other alternatives, but if you get any details other than crap ad, and frauds, please let me know. By the way, was there a signed contract? A buyout? I don't doubt the curb stomping, but you never know.I'm looking at it how a conference would. Do you think those who are looking for schools to join their conference want the reputation the SWAC schools have? I seriously doubt it.

From what I gathered, your AD agreed for us to come to Montgomery on 8/31, but ofcourse in typical HBC fashion, Bama State bailed late. I blame our AD for even considering 2 SWAC schools in the same season. I surprised we only got burned by one, although there is still a little time for TSU to bail too.

And yes, it would be a slaughter.

BluBengal07
February 25th, 2013, 10:19 PM
ok now, we're not going to change this thread to the same-ol, same-ol. chill out with that. there is still a matter at hand with JSU's on building a dome. press conference planned for Wednesday.

coming here on a JSU thread on some personal mess that JSU is not apart of. start a new and dig up a thread for that mess.

TheRevSFA
February 25th, 2013, 10:37 PM
Good stuff on the dome

Best of luck

seantaylor
February 26th, 2013, 01:59 AM
Who is trying to join your conference? lol I don't know what the deal was with that game, and by your comments I'd guess you can't offer any details on the back story either. from what I hear bama state is talking with jacksonville state about opening the season in montgomery. I also know they are looking at other alternatives, but if you get any details other than crap ad, and frauds, please let me know. By the way, was there a signed contract? A buyout? I don't doubt the curb stomping, but you never know.

My fault...It's much more than just plans and something less than concrete you can stand on..at least for a few weeks. Hey, your further along than jackson state...for now. Obviously you took my comments about GA So personal so many appologies, but what you didn't dispute is that alabama state is currently more prepared for fbs that the eagles. they aren't preparing to build, they've built. they aren't upgrading...they've upgraded. football team is winning games. baseball getting votes for top 25. bowling ranked in top 20 this year. basketball team with multiple recent ncaa trips. women's track with 5 straight confence titles. it's not just football that determines readiness to move up, but the entire athletic dept. what's going on outside of ga southern football?

Alabama State is nowhere near prepared for FBS because they can't play.

GAD
February 26th, 2013, 08:45 AM
What is preventing them from playing football?

DSUrocks07
February 26th, 2013, 12:39 PM

Charlotte hasn't played at all, yet they're going FBS...your point? xeyebrowx

jstate83
February 26th, 2013, 01:51 PM
This is why I stopped posting here 2 years ago.
I see the same posters are here with the same ole drival, about a cancelled game fro dang near a decade ago. Who said anything about wanting to join one of ya'll conferences? Who said anything about begging ya'll to play? Don't know about the rest but JSU already got 10 games scheduled every year with the 11th being a home game on Labor day weekend or a game with USM(Con-USA) or Mississippi State(SEC).

Why do ya'll think any of us need ya'll to fill out a schedule. Bamma A@M played Auburn last year and G. Tech this comming year. Gram plays teams like TCU, Oklahoma State, etc. Southern plays Hoston and new mexico State. Etc, etc.

US SWAC FRAUDS will be just fine.

Nickels
February 26th, 2013, 03:41 PM
This is why I stopped posting here 2 years ago.
I see the same posters are here with the same ole drival, about a cancelled game fro dang near a decade ago. Who said anything about wanting to join one of ya'll conferences? Who said anything about begging ya'll to play? Don't know about the rest but JSU already got 10 games scheduled every year with the 11th being a home game on Labor day weekend or a game with USM(Con-USA) or Mississippi State(SEC).

Why do ya'll think any of us need ya'll to fill out a schedule. Bamma A@M played Auburn last year and G. Tech this comming year. Gram plays teams like TCU, Oklahoma State, etc. Southern plays Hoston and new mexico State. Etc, etc.

US SWAC FRAUDS will be just fine.
This cancelled game happened less than a month ago. It was ASU

"Who said anything about wanting to join one of ya'll conferences?"
SMH...

jstate83
February 26th, 2013, 04:12 PM
This cancelled game happened less than a month ago. It was ASU

"Who said anything about wanting to join one of ya'll conferences?"
SMH...

So what .
Alabama State can cancel any freaking game they want and that includes your team. It happened a month ago so get busy and schedule another game and stop crying about it. Nobody gonna lose sleep over you being mad. Get over yourself.

This is a thread about a stadium Jackson State is trying to build. You wanna talk about your 2013 schedule, start a thread and take that crap over there.

jstate83
February 26th, 2013, 04:27 PM
This is financially unsustainable for any number of reasons, amont them:

1. The Mississippi state budget isn't likely to have $75M available in this session.

2. With all the wrangling about how to better support the schools in Alcorn and Itta Bena, a $200 million commitment for a school not located in Oxford is not going to get legislative support.

3. If Jackson State devoted its entire endowment revenue, beginning in 2014, to meet the $125 million fundraising target, the principal on the stadium would be paid off in 2322.

4. Finally, where is the revenue payoff in this project? OK, six JSU home games, maybe you talk Ole Miss into one home game a year, high school football playoffs, some motocross, some concerts, etc., and that's it. Can a campus of 8,000 mostly commuter students keep this financially feasible? Can a city of 175,000, which has lost population since the 1970's support it? Would a metro population of 500,000 do any better? Chattanooga has 170,000 people and no one is thinking it can support a 50,000 seat dome with year-round events.

#1. The Mississippi ledgislature and others have already done studies that say a 35 to 40 thousand open air stadium would cost around $70 million. JSU is only asking for what the state would have chipped in on a "regular" stadium.

#2 You been reading to many ancient history books. What happens in Oxford don't have crap to do with what happens in Jackson. It is not like the Mississippi's state congressmen and senators are all Ole Miss Graduates.

#3 This stadium would generate a lot on money for JSU just like Memorial is generating money for JSU right now. This dome will not just be used for football if built. It will also be used for baseball, basketball, indoor track, etc, etc.

#4 We got our home games and if this DOME is built, can you imagine the "Classic Weekend" and money that would pour into Jackson during a 3 day event.

As for playing a FBS scholl there, I don't know about FBS schools where you live, but FBS schools in these parts will never come to a FCS schools home stadium so inviting OLE Miss, USM, and Miss State is out. JSU already make profit off the Mississippi State football Championships and any event held at Memorial and that will continue with this venue if built. All 6 State Football Championship games are played on JSU's home field and JSU reaps the profits from those games. The city has 183,000 people but the Jackson Metro has over 600,000. This stadium will be pitched as a event center with it's location being a few hundred yards from the biggest convention center in Mississippi.

People here know what will work for this area.
50,000 seats for year round events in Jackson is not a big deal. They can schedule big time concerts and other events and sell that thing out in no time at all.

jstate83
February 26th, 2013, 04:30 PM

Don't look like you can do it either or you would have moved up long ago since you are so superior in everything as opposed to a SWAC team.

JSUBison
February 26th, 2013, 11:00 PM
#1. The Mississippi ledgislature and others have already done studies that say a 35 to 40 thousand open air stadium would cost around $70 million. JSU is only asking for what the state would have chipped in on a "regular" stadium.

#2 You been reading to many ancient history books. What happens in Oxford don't have crap to do with what happens in Jackson. It is not like the Mississippi's state congressmen and senators are all Ole Miss Graduates.

#3 This stadium would generate a lot on money for JSU just like Memorial is generating money for JSU right now. This dome will not just be used for football if built. It will also be used for baseball, basketball, indoor track, etc, etc.

#4 We got our home games and if this DOME is built, can you imagine the "Classic Weekend" and money that would pour into Jackson during a 3 day event.

As for playing a FBS scholl there, I don't know about FBS schools where you live, but FBS schools in these parts will never come to a FCS schools home stadium so inviting OLE Miss, USM, and Miss State is out. JSU already make profit off the Mississippi State football Championships and any event held at Memorial and that will continue with this venue if built. All 6 State Football Championship games are played on JSU's home field and JSU reaps the profits from those games. The city has 183,000 people but the Jackson Metro has over 600,000. This stadium will be pitched as a event center with it's location being a few hundred yards from the biggest convention center in Mississippi.

People here know what will work for this area.
50,000 seats for year round events in Jackson is not a big deal. They can schedule big time concerts and other events and sell that thing out in no time at all.

How much you think UM-MC is willing to buy the stadium land for? I don't know much about real estate, but they've been really wanting that land for years now.

BluBengal07
February 27th, 2013, 07:24 AM
Dr. Carolyn Meyers 2013 Spring Address
McCoy Auditorium
TODAY, 10AM central
streamed live on jsums.edu

if you’re local and can make it, be there! she will be covering the latest and future campus expansions, detailed stadium plans, etc.

BluBengal07
February 27th, 2013, 11:18 AM
***UPDATE***

17592 main campus is the upper position of the pic.
-
The dome has full support from the City of Jackson, Chamber of Commerce, Visitor Bureau and state agencies. This has been planning for the past year.
– The Bill passed the House and heading to the Senate for 75M bond. Results in coming days.
– This will be a mulit-use facility for football and basketball. (similar to Carrier Dome for Syracuse University). Plus conferences and concerts. Maybe track.
– Will be eligible for NCAA regional basketball games/tournaments (if MS makes a flag change or the NCAA ban on MS is lifted) and NBA games. Also NFL games (pre-season)
– 3 year project which includes 18-24 month construction
– This will be the only dome one like it in the south for NCAA. *game changer*. might be lines up with Carrier Dome as the largest Collegiate Dome.

FYI. These are notes, related to the stadium, from the Live streamed Spring Address from the President of JSU and the VP of University Advancement.

more details to come...

jstate83
February 27th, 2013, 11:18 AM
How much you think UM-MC is willing to buy the stadium land for? I don't know much about real estate, but they've been really wanting that land for years now.

UMC probably won't have to "buy" the land since everything from UMC all the way down to the UMC-Jackson medical mall 1 mile away has been slated for hospital expansion.

Even though UMC carries Ole Miss name, it is a STATE OWNED AND RUN HOSPITAL. The State and City will probably work out a lease with them so that they can get millions in taxes and lease payments for the next 50 years or more on that land.

jstate83
February 27th, 2013, 11:25 AM
***UPDATE***

-
The dome has full support from the City of Jackson, Chamber of Commerce, Visitor Bureau and state agencies. This has been planning for the past year.
– The Bill passed the House and heading to the Senate for 75M bond. Results in coming days.
– This will be a mulit-use facility for football and basketball. (similar to Carrier Dome for SU). Plus conferences and concerts. Maybe track.
– Will be eligible for NCAA regional basketball games and NBA games. Also NFL games (pre-season)
– 3 year project which includes 18-24 month construction
– This will be the only dome one like it in the south for NCAA. *game changer*. might be lines up with Carrier Dome as the largest Collegiate Dome.

more details to come...

Nay-sayers............... How you like us now!!!!!
http://www.tspnsports.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2126&d=1360341245 http://www.tspnsports.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2124&d=1360341193 http://www.tspnsports.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2125&d=1360341228

GAD
February 27th, 2013, 11:46 AM
xthumbsupxfire it up J-State!
And welcome back jstate83

jstate83
February 27th, 2013, 12:00 PM
xthumbsupxfire it up J-State!
And welcome back jstate83

yep.
It's been a while since I posted over here.

813Jag
February 27th, 2013, 12:04 PM
J-State making big moves! xthumbsupx

jstate83
February 27th, 2013, 12:43 PM
The football field and building at the top left of the dome will be the new bandhall and practice field for the SONIC BOOM. That is included in this package.

The L shaped building at the lower RIGHT of the DOME will be the new JSU SPORTS & HOF Museum.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/28/6y9ynu5u.jpg

WUTNDITWAA
February 27th, 2013, 12:49 PM
Congratulations. It amazes me how when any school seeks to improve upon its situation, the others here want to dump all over them and say you can't do that, or you'll be sorry. We're obviously getting that on other threads, and I do hope you prove them wrong as well.

BluBengal07
February 27th, 2013, 01:12 PM
The football field and building at the top left of the dome will be the new bandhall and practice field for the SONIC BOOM. That is included in this package.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/28/6y9ynu5u.jpg

thanks. i couldn't get onto the other site at work to bring up the large scale. provide the others to if you can.

so are we saying that all football practices and activities will be in the dome? when the VP was say the new music hall will be here, it kind of put a hindrance to status who are not marching band members. unless they're planning to move the complete music program there. this facility looks larger than the current Music Hall. but on a lighter note, good things i'll move closer cause that march down to the dome will be a killer from the current location on the other side of campus. i see this more fitting for a football operations facility and outside football field. with this, why don't we move the soccer field and convert it with the current outdoor track field. those could build up into it's own complex with true bleachers and press box. i remember another FCS having these setup that looked real good. these will create open land for future projects too.

TheRevSFA
February 27th, 2013, 01:15 PM
Looks great guys. Hope you guys schedule SFA there so I can come check it out in person

jstate83
February 27th, 2013, 01:22 PM
thanks. i couldn't get onto the other site at work to bring up the large scale. provide the others to if you can.

so are we saying that all football practices and activities will be in the dome? when the VP was say the new music hall will be here, it kind of put a hindrance to status who are not marching band members. unless they're planning to move the complete music program there. this facility looks larger than the current Music Hall. i see this more fitting for a football operations facility and outside football field. with this, why don't we move the soccer field and convert it with the current outdoor track field. those could build up into it's own complex with true bleachers and press box. i remember another FCS having these setup that looked real good. these will create open land for future projects too.

I believe it is for the Sonic Boom and other music organizations that perform.
The old Music hall will probably be used exclusively for classes now. Just a guess. The football practice field is still in the same place on that photo right behind the Walter Peyton Complex, (TOP LEFT ABOVE NEW BANDHALL AND PRACTICE FIELD). If JATRAN would ever get their main hub built on Hwy 80 and move, JSU can develope that land also that sits on Terry road by the softball fields and that entrance to campus.

BluBengal07
February 27th, 2013, 01:24 PM
Twitter update from our beat writer for JSU Sports:

"In talking about #JSU 's domed stadium, Hoard (VP of Univ Advancement) also said there is ongoing communication w Falcons, Saints and Titans about exhibition games."

http://blogs.clarionledger.com/jsu/2013/02/27/jsu-shows-off-proposed-domed-stadium/

...The stadium will sit 50k for football and 22k for basketball.... project’s overall cost of $200 million, Hoard said, would be met, in part, by the use of “13 or 14 different options” to fund the stadium. Among those options are Personal Seat Licenses, Skybox rentals, new market tax credits that could generate between “$30 and $60 million,” and a share of the state’s amusement tax, which Hoard said is projected “to produce between $40 and $50 million over the next 20 years.”

As for possible tuition increases for students, Hoard said students would vote on such decisions. He also referenced stadium naming rights.

“There’s about 13 or 14 various streams that can add up to $320 million, so we have options,” Hoard said. “If something doesn’t work out, we can go another direction.”...

A major selling point on the stadium for JSU is that this venue will not be the university’s alone – it will be used by the city and state. “We don’t see it as a stadium just for Jackson State, we see it as an investment for the city and the county and the region and the economic impact will be dramatic,” Hoard said.
Hoard said the stadium will be managed by SMG, which also manages the Mercedes-Benz Superdome in New Orleans and Soldier Field in Chicago, among others. Hoard said the stadium – with SMG’s help – will be able to attract major concerts (he mentioned Beyonce by name, for what that’s worth) to town.
Hoard said there is already communication with the Atlanta Falcons, New Orleans Saints and Tennessee Titans about holding exhibition games in the stadium. Same goes for possible NBA exhibitions.

jstate83
February 27th, 2013, 01:28 PM
More details on revenue streams and uses other than JSU sports.

Jackson State shows off proposed $200M domed stadium (http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20130227/SPORTS030101/130227023/Jackson-State-shows-off-proposed-200M-domed-stadium)

The project’s overall cost of $200 million, Hoard said, would be met, in part, by the use of “13 or 14 different options” to fund the stadium.

Among those options are Personal Seat Licenses, Skybox rentals, new market tax credits that could generate between “$30 and $60 million,” and a share of the state’s amusement tax, which Hoard said is projected “to produce between $40 and $50 million over the next 20 years.”

As for possible tuition increases for students, Hoard said students would vote on such decisions. He also referenced stadium naming rights.

“There’s about 13 or 14 various streams that can add up to $320 million, so we have options,” Hoard said. “If something doesn’t work out, we can go another direction.”

A few notes:
■ The stadium will seat 50,000 for football games and 22,000 for basketball games.
■ A major selling point on the stadium for JSU is that this venue will not be the university’s alone – it will be used by the city and state. “We don’t see it as a stadium just for Jackson State, we see it as an investment for the city and the county and the region and the economic impact will be dramatic,” Hoard said.
■ Hoard said the stadium will be managed by SMG, which also manages the Mercedes-Benz Superdome in New Orleans and Soldier Field in Chicago, among others. Hoard said the stadium – with SMG’s help – will be able to attract major concerts (he mentioned Beyonce by name, for what that’s worth) to town.
■ As for a time frame, Hoard said there is a three-year timeline that will be put into motion once financing is approved. The actual construction would take 18-24 months. He hoped construction could start this summer.
■ There are four possible sites – all on campus – but the plan shown today can be formed to fit any site.
■ As for the future of Memorial Stadium, Hoard said that would be left up to the state.
■ Hoard repeatedly expressed his confidence that the project can and will be financed in a timely manner.

3rd Coast Tiger
February 27th, 2013, 01:34 PM
Congrats JState!

GAD
February 27th, 2013, 02:34 PM
I can't wait until J-State and SU get it on in there....talk about gonna be loud!

813Jag
February 28th, 2013, 07:16 AM
There was a good segment with Rob Jay last night on the Jaguar Journal. I can't wait until this takes shape.

Panther88
February 28th, 2013, 08:47 AM
Congratulations. It amazes me how when any school seeks to improve upon its situation, the others here want to dump all over them and say you can't do that, or you'll be sorry. We're obviously getting that on other threads, and I do hope you prove them wrong as well.
+1. Miserable human beings who are unworthy of life, imho. :D

Congrats JState and hopes it works in your favor.

Sandlapper Spike
February 28th, 2013, 11:18 AM
– Will be eligible for NCAA regional basketball games (NCAA Tournament) and NBA games. Also NFL games (pre-season)

Well, first the NCAA would have to lift its ban on pre-awarded sites to the State of Mississippi.

BluBengal07
February 28th, 2013, 11:38 AM
Well, first the NCAA would have to lift its ban on pre-awarded sites to the State of Mississippi.

forgot about that. corrected.

DFW HOYA
February 28th, 2013, 12:24 PM
More details on revenue streams and uses other than JSU sports.

Jackson State shows off proposed $200M domed stadium (http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20130227/SPORTS030101/130227023/Jackson-State-shows-off-proposed-200M-domed-stadium)

The project’s overall cost of $200 million, Hoard said, would be met, in part, by the use of “13 or 14 different options” to fund the stadium.

Among those options are Personal Seat Licenses, Skybox rentals, new market tax credits that could generate between “$30 and $60 million,” and a share of the state’s amusement tax, which Hoard said is projected “to produce between $40 and $50 million over the next 20 years.”

“There’s about 13 or 14 various streams that can add up to $320 million, so we have options,” Hoard said. “If something doesn’t work out, we can go another direction.”

A few notes:
■ The stadium will seat 50,000 for football games and 22,000 for basketball games.

I admire the optimism, but JSU is not financially strong enough to float this on its own and I question why the Legislature would ever hand over a share of the tax base (in credits or pass-throughs) to fund this. One need only look at the Ole Miss facilities campaign and how that has stalled out.

Basketball is a stretch for this project. The stadium would be too small to host a Final Four and while it could host regional games, JSU is not going to come close to filling it for basketball. The last three home games for JSU (against Texas Southern, PV, and Grambling) drew 401, 402, and 799 fans, respectively. Outside of a game against Mississippi Valley, the Tigers are averaging just 697 per game.

http://www.jsutigers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=29000&ATCLID=205758479

jstate83
February 28th, 2013, 01:06 PM
I admire the optimism, but JSU is not financially strong enough to float this on its own and I question why the Legislature would ever hand over a share of the tax base (in credits or pass-throughs) to fund this. One need only look at the Ole Miss facilities campaign and how that has stalled out.

Basketball is a stretch for this project. The stadium would be too small to host a Final Four and while it could host regional games, JSU is not going to come close to filling it for basketball. The last three home games for JSU (against Texas Southern, PV, and Grambling) drew 401, 402, and 799 fans, respectively. Outside of a game against Mississippi Valley, the Tigers are averaging just 697 per game.

http://www.jsutigers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=29000&ATCLID=205758479

Whatever dude.
You read the story and still don't see whats going on. There is more to this stadium than just JSU. But.............I'm not gonna waste my time explaining it to people that will throw salt even if JSU showed you a cashiers check for $300 million.

People like you said JSU didn't have the resources to pull off over $600 million in construction and improvements to campus, TRIPPLING THE SIZE OF JSU, before we started that back in 2002. Now people stand around with their jaws wide open wondering how "those people" pull this off and we still building.

And when did Ole Miss "stall out."
Those fools up there building new facilities every year. They about to start their 3rd expansion of their football stadium. Mississippi state is about to build a new Basketball arena on top of their expansion to their football stadium, plus a brand new Sports / medical facility, and a brand new indoor practice facility.

People are building everyday in this state but you know everything from the net out in Dallas.

jstate83
February 28th, 2013, 01:10 PM

forgot about that. corrected.

You can have REGIONALS in Mississippi just not National Championship games.
Miss State, USM, or Ole Miss host SUPER REGIONAL baseball tournaments for the College World Series every year.

TheRevSFA
February 28th, 2013, 01:16 PM
So with the state putting in a ton of money, as well as JSU and the tuition increase..who actually owns the stadium? JSU? If so..having it rented out for state events...huge huge money maker for the school once this is up and going.

Like I said..good job JSU.

jstate83
February 28th, 2013, 01:21 PM
So with the state putting in a ton of money, as well as JSU and the tuition increase..who actually owns the stadium? JSU? If so..having it rented out for state events...huge huge money maker for the school once this is up and going.

Like I said..good job JSU.

JSU do.
And it's not a "ton" of money. That $75 million is what the state has been saying JSU needed to build a football only stadium that seats 35000 to 40000. We only asked them for what they said they would have to pay. That stadium in the location where it will be built has been in the JSU Master Plan and the City of Jackson Master plan since the late 1990's to reboot downtown and west Jackson. This is only a shock to people that don't live here.

Besides.
Every school in Mississippi has had their initial stadiums built using bonds from the state. You can't name one that didnt. Alcorn was the last stadium the state helped finance and they did the total cost for theirs and they had a stadium already back in 1991. If the TEA Party Mississippi SENATE turns JSU down on this, they don't have shat to say about us in Memorial ever again. UMC will have to kick rocks.

The State took the land JSU stadium sat on back in 1970 and promised JSU a new one would be built. THAT WAS 50 YEARS AGO. Now that it JSU's time, everybody want to have a stroke like the world is comming to a end.

DFW HOYA
February 28th, 2013, 01:22 PM
Whatever dude.
You read the story and still don't see whats going on. There is more to this stadium than just JSU. But.............I'm not gonna waste my time explaining it to people that will throw salt even if JSU showed you a cashiers check for $300 million. People like you said JSU didn't have the resources to pull off over $600 million in construction and improvements to campus, TRIPPLING THE SIZE OF JSU, before we started that back in 2002. Now people stand around with their jaws wide open wondering how "those people" pull this off and we still building.

Those fools up there building new facilities every year. They about to start their 3rd expansion of their football stadium. Mississippi state is about to build a new Basketball arena on top of their expansion to their football stadium, plus a brand new Sports / medical facility, and a brand new indoor practice facility.

People are building everyday in this state but you know everything from the net out in Dallas.

I think you are missing my point. I have never claimed to know "everything" about this project, only that in a tight economy, the wherewithall for public funding of stadiums (through either taxes or philathropy) is increasingly limited, which is why Ole Miss' replacement of Tad Smith Coliseum is behind schedule. And you can't float construction for a 50,000 seat dome off PSL's and tax breaks---it still takes a measure of public support for infrastructure upgrades no matter where it is situated and that will come at a state level.

The best case for this project is to sell this as a civic improvement for Jackson and not just a university project. it's something Syracuse failed to do when it built the Carrier Dome in 1980 and the city has never been able to take full advantage of it as a result.

jstate83
February 28th, 2013, 01:27 PM
I think you are missing my point. I have never claimed to know "everything" about this project, only that in a tight economy, the wherewithall for public funding of stadiums (through either taxes or philathropy) is increasingly limited, which is why Ole Miss' replacement of Tad Smith Coliseum is behind schedule. And you can't float construction for a 50,000 seat dome off PSL's and tax breaks---it still takes a measure of public support for infrastructure upgrades no matter where it is situated and that will come at a state level.

The best case for this project is to sell this as a civic improvement for Jackson and not just a university project. it's something Syracuse failed to do when it built the Carrier Dome in 1980 and the city has never been able to take full advantage of it as a result.

lawd................. That is what it is being sold as.
The city of jackson, Private investors and the State is all in on this. All that is left is the Senates approval and JSU intends to start construction THIS SUMMER.

Nobody is going to sign contracts until the initial State Bond money is approved.

TheRevSFA
February 28th, 2013, 01:31 PM
JSU do.
And it's not a "ton" of money. That $75 million is what the state has been saying JSU needed to build a football only stadium that seats 35000 to 40000. We only asked them for what they said they would have to pay. That stadium in the location where it will be built has been in the JSU Master Plan and the City of Jackson Master plan since the late 1990's to reboot downtown and west Jackson. This is only a shock to people that don't live here.

Besides.
Every school in Mississippi has had their initial stadiums built using bonds from the state. You can't name one that didnt. Alcorn was the last stadium the state helped finance and they did the total cost for theirs and they had a stadium already back in 1991. If the TEA Party Mississippi SENATE turns JSU down on this, they don't have shat to say about us in Memorial ever again. UMC will have to kick rocks.

The State took the land JSU stadium sat on back in 1970 and promised JSU a new one would be built. THAT WAS 50 YEARS AGO. Now that it JSU's time, everybody want to have a stroke like the world is comming to a end.

Settle down. I didn't say anything negative against JSU and their stadium. Good stuff.

DFW HOYA
February 28th, 2013, 01:33 PM
The city of jackson, Private investors and the State is all in on this. All that is left is the Senates approval and JSU intends to start construction THIS SUMMER. Nobody is going to sign contracts until the initial State Bond money is approved.

Well, good for JSU. Enough said.

Things certainly work a lot, LOT faster in Mississippi than in Washington DC, where Hoyas fans are now on year 13 of the novel "Waiting For Multi-Sport"...

Sandlapper Spike
February 28th, 2013, 01:43 PM
You can have REGIONALS in Mississippi just not National Championship games.
Miss State, USM, or Ole Miss host SUPER REGIONAL baseball tournaments for the College World Series every year.

The baseball regionals are merit-based hosting situations, though, not predetermined sites. NCAA basketball regionals are held at predetermined sites (both men's and women's), and those are subject to the ban.

jstate83
February 28th, 2013, 02:33 PM
Settle down. I didn't say anything negative against JSU and their stadium. Good stuff.

I know and I was not upset with you. :)
Just explaining how these "touched" politicians minds in this state work.

jstate83
February 28th, 2013, 02:40 PM
Well, good for JSU. Enough said.

Things certainly work a lot, LOT faster in Mississippi than in Washington DC, where Hoyas fans are now on year 13 of the novel "Waiting For Multi-Sport"...

Around here when the politicians are in jackson for there "lie fest" every year, they don't waste a lot of time on stuff. They are going to either vote for it or not and then move on. A stadium has been in JSU plans for over a decade now. There have been several renderings and College officials touching bases with the politicians here over the years, getting a feel for what is going on.

This is the first plan that JSU has said we want to go full bore into wanting to build. This is the time to do it because this is the last peice of the puzzle that will connect JSU to Downtown jackson and the entertainment district that Jackson carved out for downtown.

The City of Jackson was trying to get plans to build a 18,000 seat "basketball/concert" type arena like Little Rock has. With this plan, we kill every bird with one stone. JSU Football, Basketball, Track, city of Jackson sponsered events and a one of a kind venue that the entire state can use. Outside of Atlanta and Neworleans, there are no enclosed venues like this with that much seating.

They have already had talks with the Saints to come back to jackson in the pre-season along with the Titans, and Falcons. The Saints said they could not play another game in Memorial because it didn't meet standards aminity wise. If this is built, they will probably bring their pre-season training camp back to Millsaps College in Jackson. There have been so many national 1st line acts that will flat out tell officials here they would come to jackson but the Colusium is outdated and way too small. The only time they can have huge concerts here in Memorial is in the summer time when it's 100 degrees at 8am.

Even though JSU will own it, this will be a win, win win for JSU, the Jackson Metro, and the State.

dgtw
February 28th, 2013, 04:30 PM
The baseball regionals are merit-based hosting situations, though, not predetermined sites. NCAA basketball regionals are held at predetermined sites (both men's and women's), and those are subject to the ban.

Might they grant a waiver if it was being hosted by an HBCU?

jstate83
February 28th, 2013, 04:35 PM
Might they grant a waiver if it was being hosted by an HBCU?

Ain't gonna happen as long as the majority keep voting for the present flag which is not gonna happen. They had the vote, the majority decided to keep it, and all the counties that didn't vote with the majority in keeping that flag do not fly it over city property.

If you come to Jackson, you WILL NOT see the state flag flying over any city property. Hinds county voted NO with over 89% of the votes going no.

dgtw
February 28th, 2013, 06:13 PM
I was not aware there was a public vote on the flag. When did it take place? Was it simply a vote to keep the current flag or was there an alternate flag on the ballot? I guess I'd be correct in assuming the vote was split on racial lines?

BluBengal07
February 28th, 2013, 07:16 PM
I was not aware there was a public vote on the flag. When did it take place? Was it simply a vote to keep the current flag or was there an alternate flag on the ballot? I guess I'd be correct in assuming the vote was split on racial lines?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Mississippi
In 2000, the Supreme Court of Mississippi ruled[3] that state legislation in 1906 had repealed the adoption of the state flag in 1894, so what was considered to be the official state flag was only so through custom and usage.[4] Governor Ronnie Musgrove appointed an independent commission which developed a new proposed design,[4] and on April 17, 2001, a state referendum to change the flag was put before Mississippi voters. The proposal would have replaced the Confederate battle flag with a blue canton with 20 stars. The outer ring of 13 stars would represent the original Thirteen Colonies, the ring of six stars would represent the six nations that have had sovereignty over Mississippi territory (various Indian nations as a collective nation, France, Spain, Great Britain, the United States, and the Confederate States), and the inner and slightly larger star would represent Mississippi itself. The 20 stars would also represent Mississippi's status as the 20th member of the United States.[5] The new flag was soundly defeated in a vote of 64% (488,630 votes) to 36% (267,812) and the old flag was retained.
17595 current 17596 proposed and rejected by public vote.

BluBengal07
June 19th, 2013, 09:30 AM
This is not dead, just delayed. Below is a letter from the President about the issue. She is a women who doesn't take bull and willing to callout the big schools.

http://www.jsums.edu/president/2013/04/10/thank-you-for-supporting-jsus-vision-for-a-domed-stadium/
Thank you for supporting JSU’s vision for a domed stadium
April 10th, 2013 by jacksonstate

To JSU Friends:

I want to thank all who “think big” and have supported our domed stadium concept. We have received support from so many individuals and groups, including the City of Jackson, the Hinds County Board of Supervisors, the Jackson Chamber of Commerce, the Jackson Convention and Visitors Bureau, the JSUNAA, the Blue Bengals, the Tiger Fund and six neighborhood associations. Yes, the domed stadium will be ours, but it’s also a game changer for the City of Jackson, Hinds County, region and the entire state. This project can change the perceptions of Mississippi and HBCUs. Everyone wins with the domed stadium.

Recently, state legislators debated amongst themselves about the merits of the dome and decided not to support our dream at this time. We asked for $75 million toward the $200 million domed stadium. The rest of the costs would be covered with private and other public dollars in the form of bonds. The discussion continues, and we have been asked to come back next year for funding.

Some interesting facts were revealed during the debate. The Legislature confirmed that all of Mississippi’s public universities have an on-campus stadium, each jumpstarted with state funding. JSU is the only institution without a stadium on campus. Also, the University of Mississippi and Mississippi State University have been receiving permission for years to keep the 7 percent amusement tax on every ticket sold for events. That revenue has funded additional growth and support for our sister institutions. JSU has lost out on millions of dollars over the years from the amusement tax alone.

JSU has been promised by various legislators and governors for over 40 years that state support will be provided for an on-campus stadium. Upon my arrival at JSU, I also received similar assurances from some lawmakers, particularly when we became the owners of the Mississippi Memorial Veterans Stadium. I cannot express the disappointment I feel at this moment regarding state support of the stadium. A few legislators even voiced support for funding a domed stadium, but they wanted to place the stadium at the Mississippi Coliseum site and call it the Capital Dome. They would allow us to play our games there and serve on an oversight committee. I rejected that concept as it usurped all of our work, failed to place the stadium on JSU’s campus, and stripped us of ownership.

The stadium’s potential is undeniable. An economic impact study showed the stadium would generate $64.6 million annually in tax revenue. In the first year of construction, the project would produce a $64.8 million increase in personal income and generate $7.22 million for the state’s General Fund. The first year of construction would generate 1,835 jobs. The second year of construction would generate 600 jobs. Over the next 10 years of the stadium’s operation, an estimated 335 jobs would be maintained annually.

So where do we go from here? We are continuing our drive for the domed stadium. Yes, it would have been easier to gain outside private support already having a small amount of support from the legislators. But we’re undeterred. My stadium team continues to explore other options. We also can go back to the state next year. We will be creating a website for the stadium, which will provide information and answer additional questions.

We need your support as we push forward. You can help by buying season tickets to the upcoming football and basketball seasons to help dispel the myth that all we need is a 25,000-seat stadium. Remember that most of the year with a domed stadium, other entities will use the facility, bringing new and desirable levels of amusement and entertainment options to the citizens of our city, county, and state.

You also can donate to support this cause or any campus program you choose, as donations demonstrate overall support of JSU, and funding entities like to see such support. Encourage the corporations and companies that you lead or work for to market at our games. Finally, give us your ideas and speak positively about the project.

Again, thank you for dreaming big. I’ll keep fighting to make this domed stadium a reality. I hope you’ll join me.

Sincerely

Carolyn W. Meyers, Ph.D.
President

parr90
June 19th, 2013, 10:02 AM
I cant see JSU being FBS. First of all I dont think they could compete. Second I dont no what conference would want them. I guess they could be an independent.

BluBengal07
June 19th, 2013, 10:14 AM
another thing is that, this is not a $200m stadium. that price tag is for the construction area which includes the stadium, alumni center, band practice facility, etc. the stadium itself might be more like $120m. still a little rich though, but JSU wants to make it bigger than just football, but a destination for entertainment.

I cant see JSU being FBS. First of all I dont think they could compete. Second I don't no what conference would want them. I guess they could be an independent.
i don't think it's a immediate future strive for FBS football. anyways, it's MS and they love their MSU and Ole Miss; and like USM. I see them moving to a playoff conference if the SWAC doesn't do something and measure their potential.

parr90
June 19th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Whatever dude.
You read the story and still don't see whats going on. There is more to this stadium than just JSU. But.............I'm not gonna waste my time explaining it to people that will throw salt even if JSU showed you a cashiers check for $300 million.

People like you said JSU didn't have the resources to pull off over $600 million in construction and improvements to campus, TRIPPLING THE SIZE OF JSU, before we started that back in 2002. Now people stand around with their jaws wide open wondering how "those people" pull this off and we still building.

"people like you", "those fools" "throw salt". xbawlingx