PDA

View Full Version : Charleston Southern HC Jamey Chadwell Fills Staff Positions

BJuice
February 22nd, 2013, 10:56 PM
Gabe Giardina Named Buccaneers' Offensive Coordinator and Offensive Line Coach (http://www.csusports.com/article.asp?articleID=6826)

"I am very excited to name Gabe Giardina as our offensive coordinator and offensive line coach," Chadwell said Monday. "He brings a great passion for this institution, having worked here previously, and he understands the type of young man that will be successful in our program. He is a tireless recruiter and will be a great mentor for our players. Gabe, and his beautiful wife Wimberly will be great additions to the community."

Skylor Magee Named Buccaneers' Defensive Line Coach (http://www.csusports.com/article.asp?articleID=6830)

"I am excited to have Skylor Magee join our staff as defensive line coach," Chadwell said on Tuesday. "He brings a wealth of experience to CSU and has coached several all-conference performers at different schools. He brings a wonderful passion for the position and is a great teacher of the game. His proven track record on the recruiting front will help us broaden our recruiting base to bring in top notch student-athletes from across the southeast. Skylor and his wife Leslie are great additions to our CSU family."

Chad Staggs Named Buccaneers' Defensive Coordinator and Linebackers Coach (http://www.csusports.com/article.asp?articleID=6835)

"I am pleased to announce Chad Staggs as our linebackers coach and defensive coordinato," Chadwell said on Wednesday. "Chad brings four years of experience of coordinating a defense and has had our defenses consistently ranked at the top of the standings. His aggressive style of defense will fit perfectly with our desire to have a defensive team that plays with purpose and passion. Being from the state of South Carolina, he has several contacts throughout the state that will pay dividends on the recruiting trail. Chad and His wife Kelli will be great ambassadors for Charleston Southern."

Staggs also spent three seasons at North Greenville with Chadwell, building a winning defense that helped the Crusaders advance to the NCAA Div. II Quarterfinal in 2011. In his third year as the defensive coordinator and secondary coach at NGU, Staggs added the title of Assistant Head Coach for 2011.

Built with an ‘Attack’ Philosophy, Staggs engineered NGU’s "Black Swarm" Defense into one of the nations’ toughest, ball hawking defenses built on stopping the opponents running game and forcing turnovers. The statistics tell the truth.

Newland Isaac Named Buccaneers' Running Backs and Tight Ends Coach (http://www.csusports.com/article.asp?articleID=6846)

"I am pleased to have Newland joining our staff," Chadwell said Friday. "Newland is an alumnus of CSU and was a contributor on our teams that won a Big South Championship and won 14- straight games. His understanding of Charleston Southern and the passion he has for it, will help guide the young student-athletes he mentors. Growing up in Columbia, he will contribute mightily to our efforts to recruit the midlands area and help bring talent to the lowcountry."

BJuice
February 27th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Mark Tucker Named Buccaneers' Quarterbacks Coach (http://www.csusports.com/article.asp?articleID=6864)

"It is a great privilege to introduce Mark Tucker as our quarterbacks coach," Chadwell said Tuesday. "Mark was born and raised in Charleston and has a love for our wonderful city. He brings a great wealth of knowledge to our staff, especially our offensive attack. He was my college coach so we have a great history together. He has been a great mentor to me, and he will no doubt do that for our current players."

Tucker is a former assistant at the two Southern Conference schools, most recently he spent four seasons at ETSU, where he coached the offensive line for one season and running backs and tight ends for two years. In his six seasons as an assistant at The Citadel, Tucker was a part of record-setting offenses for the Bulldogs. In his final season 1996, he served as the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach.

Apphole
February 27th, 2013, 10:21 AM
Wow, brand new staff. How do you feel about the Bucs coming to The Rock this year?

asumike83
February 27th, 2013, 10:22 AM
Any idea what kind of offense y'all are going to run? I thought I heard that CSU would be an option team but with a new staff, I'm not so sure.

We host you guys the week before we head down to play The Citadel, it'd be nice to be in "option mode" for two weeks instead of going back and forth.

Apphole
February 27th, 2013, 10:45 AM
We host you guys the week before we head down to play The Citadel, it'd be nice to be in "option mode" for two weeks instead of going back and forth.

Oh, Mike. You have a way of writing that no matter what you say, it seems nice. I would have said "warm up game." xlolx

asumike83
February 27th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Oh, Mike. You have a way of writing that no matter what you say, it seems nice. I would have said "warm up game." xlolx

Come on, everybody knows our warm-up game is the week before at KBS East against Elon.

Zing!

BJuice
February 27th, 2013, 03:23 PM
Wow, brand new staff. How do you feel about the Bucs coming to The Rock this year?

Wow!!! Our 2013 schedule has not been released yet so that is news to me. I think it is very good news. I am piecing together our schedule for next year as I see other teams release theirs. So far, I know we open with The Citadel. Then we have App State, UNC Charlotte (in their first year), Norfolk State, and six conference games. I think we have an FCS team on the slate, but I'm not sure.I won't be completely sure until the official release is out.

Anyway, back to the App State game. Here's the deal, I graduated from Charleston Southern and was there from 1994-1998. So, I have been following CSU very closely since 1994. I have seen all of the ups and downs. Unfortunately, as has been well-documented by many people, most of those were downs. However, things have been on an upward trend over the past ten years while Coach Mills was in charge. I firmly believe that Coach Chadwell and his staff will be able to take the program to the next level and will be able to achieve even greater things. I think there will be a new energy and our team will play with passion and aggressiveness. I am certainly not naive enough to say we will beat App State. That would be completely stupid. I'm not going to talk smack when it comes to SoCon teams because history has shown that we are not on that level YET. It is our goal. However, I do believe we will be able to come to the mountains and give you a competitive game. I am looking forward to it. I have been wanting to see more SoCon schools on the schedule for years. App State competes on a level and has the tradition that will only make us better.

As for our offense, I believe Coach Chadwell will coach according to the talent. I think that is what the best young coaches do now. Thye make the offense and the scheme fit the talent, not the talent fit their particular preferred offense. Last year we were mostly option. We tried spread-option, but it was option. We'll see what this year has in store. If I were Coach Chadwell, I would make all positions open for competition and go with the best at each spot regardless of class designation. I say that because I think there is room for improvement at QB. I think that our QB from last year does not give us the best chance to win. I think there are better QBs on the roster.

As our team and talent is molded to Coach Chadwell's style and preference, I believe we will return to the spread, pass attack we had when he was our Assistant Head Coach, QB Coach, and Offensive Coord under Coach Mills.

So, there you go. Looking forward to playing at App State. I hope to be there.

BJuice
February 27th, 2013, 05:52 PM
I think we have an FCS team on the slate

Meant FBS. Not FCS.