PDA

View Full Version : North Dakota hires new Defensive Coordinator

darell1976
February 22nd, 2013, 02:45 PM
http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=206477929

GRAND FORKS, N.D. – University of North Dakota head football coach Chris Mussman announced on Friday that Josh Kotelnicki has been elevated to the role of defensive coordinator. Kotelnicki, who was a standout linebacker in the program and a team captain on the 2001 Division II National Championship team, served the past five seasons as the team’s special teams coordinator and linebackers coach.

“This was not a difficult decision at all,” Mussman said. “Josh has been running our special teams for a number of years and that unit has been one of the tops at the FCS level. He’s also done a great job with our linebackers and his passion and the way he motivates will only help our defense as we look to continue to improve on that side of the ball.”

Kotelnicki, who also holds the title of assistant head coach, earned the promotion after the position was vacated by Mike Mannausau when he accepted the role as UND’s Champions Club Executive Director.

Following his one season with the Wildcats, Kotelnicki returned to his alma mater for the second time as an assistant coach. He spent the 2004 and 2005 seasons as a defensive assistant at UND after beginning his coaching career at Murray State (2002-03) where he also earned a master’s degree in business administration.

Unbison
February 22nd, 2013, 03:23 PM
http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=206477929
Should say the chicken chokers hire A defensive coordinator as they obviously didn't have one recently

tourguide
February 22nd, 2013, 04:32 PM
Should say the chicken chokers hire A defensive coordinator as they obviously didn't have one recently

I see you bring as much to this board as you do Bisonville

Strommer10
February 22nd, 2013, 04:49 PM
Darell or any UND fans: with this new D-coordinator, do you think your defense will be improved next year?

Bisonator
February 22nd, 2013, 05:16 PM
IMO they needed to get someone from outside the program. That defense was terrible, elevating the linebacker coach to coordinator isn't going to help. They need new blood in that coaching staff.

tourguide
February 22nd, 2013, 05:20 PM
IMO they needed to get someone from outside the program. That defense was terrible, elevating the linebacker coach to coordinator isn't going to help. They need new blood in that coaching staff.

Worked for NDSU after Breske disaster. Or am I wrong about Hazelton being promoted from within?

darell1976
February 22nd, 2013, 05:20 PM
Darell or any UND fans: with this new D-coordinator, do you think your defense will be improved next year?

We are hoping it will but we have faith in Kotelnicki. Mussman knows our #1 need is defense and by making the switch he knew something needed to be done to improve it. Now we start out with Valpo, SDSU, and Montana before our bye week then conference play. If UND gives up 21 or less points to all three then we know it was in the coaching but if it starts out like last year where we are giving up 30+ points, major changes is going to have to happen (even Mussman may not be safe).

ursus arctos horribilis
February 22nd, 2013, 05:22 PM

Sort of what I think as well normally but the truth be told this guy may come from a completely different angle and believe he has a system that will work better to cover the mistakes made in personell, strategy, etc.

If he's just like the former boss then that is all out the window but I doubt they'd go this way if they thought that.

Unless this guy is a real riverboat gambler type though I agree it seems a little stale at first impression.

darell1976
February 22nd, 2013, 05:24 PM

There is always 2 former UND players/coaches at Southern Illinois that could help us out. Dale Lennon and Bubba Schweigert.
http://www.siusalukis.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/bubba_schweigert_341629.html

Prior to UMD, Schweigert spent 15 seasons at the University of North Dakota where he helped guide the Fighting Sioux to six NCC titles, eight playoff appearances and a Division II National Championship in 2001. He was Dale Lennon's defensive coordinator from 1999-2003. Schweigert was named the AFCA DII Assistant Coach of the Year in 2000.

darell1976
February 22nd, 2013, 05:26 PM
Sort of what I think as well normally but the truth be told this guy may come from a completely different angle and believe he has a system that will work better to cover the mistakes made in personell, strategy, etc.

If he's just like the former boss then that is all out the window but I doubt they'd go this way if they thought that.

Unless this guy is a real riverboat gambler type though I agree it seems a little stale at first impression.

The only problem this year is we have a huge question at QB to bail out the defense. We don't have 600 yard passer Braden Hanson, but instead two redshirt freshmen filling the void.

FCS_pwns_FBS
February 22nd, 2013, 06:30 PM
Good move. The 3-4 is holding UND back.

Bison Fan in NW MN
February 23rd, 2013, 09:17 AM
I see you bring as much to this board as you do Bisonville

Agree....he doesn't bring anything!

NoDak 4 Ever
February 23rd, 2013, 09:19 AM
Agree....he doesn't bring anything!

Like his BFF Lakes, he brings tons of neg repping for disagreeing with him. So there's that.

Bison Fan in NW MN
February 23rd, 2013, 09:30 AM
Like his BFF Lakes, he brings tons of neg repping for disagreeing with him. So there's that.

Ya, both of those two are clowns.

Unbison
February 23rd, 2013, 04:03 PM

Best part is I don't care what you guys think? A beekeeper a teacher and a camera man that does excellent work which makes me envious of his talent so enjoy yourselves .... Glad I could give you something to complain about good luck best wishes

NoDak 4 Ever
February 23rd, 2013, 04:41 PM
Best part is I don't care what you guys think? A beekeeper a teacher and a camera man that does excellent work which makes me envious of his talent so enjoy yourselves .... Glad I could give you something to complain about good luck best wishes

Funny, we don't care that you don't care what we think.

http://seo-hacker.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Meta-tags-300x200.jpg

Griz_are_Beta_AF
February 23rd, 2013, 05:04 PM

I'm too new to know about lakes on this board, but he's on Bobcat Nation and hasn't been too horrible there in general.

Bison Fan in NW MN
February 23rd, 2013, 07:43 PM

Ya, go with that buddy.

LOL...you couldn't 'hack' what I do for a living for one day.

You and lakes can go stroke each other.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 23rd, 2013, 11:25 PM

Just so we are all clear here. LB is done here, friends of his have nothing to worry about if they are not like LB on the board. If you do feel like doing a LB impression then feel free to stay off the FCSD board and do so on the smack board etc. If you just want to wipe your *** on the drapes then you won't be doing it in here for very long as LB has poisoned this well previously and it won't be happening again.

I am unaware of any of the comments in pm's or neg reps so far but since that was LB's undoing on here I'll make sure it is understood that any threat to another member in any fashion in those forms will get you the immediate hook.

Grizo406
February 24th, 2013, 12:15 AM
I thought Cleets was the enforcer/muscle behind AGS!??!

Once again, it seems that I'm wrong.

Congrats, ND! Looks like a good hire! Best of luck to you guy's!

NoDak 4 Ever
February 24th, 2013, 08:59 AM
Just so we are all clear here. LB is done here, friends of his have nothing to worry about if they are not like LB on the board. If you do feel like doing a LB impression then feel free to stay off the FCSD board and do so on the smack board etc. If you just want to wipe your *** on the drapes then you won't be doing it in here for very long as LB has poisoned this well previously and it won't be happening again.

I am unaware of any of the comments in pm's or neg reps so far but since that was LB's undoing on here I'll make sure it is understood that any threat to another member in any fashion in those forms will get you the immediate hook.

There's a much bigger Lakes circle jerk going on over at BV, it's pretty tame here so no worries.

Unbison
February 24th, 2013, 11:04 AM
Funny I'd say..... Made a comment about a team with a lousy defense and these three decide to attack my integrity work ethic and my worth I. The world again a beekeeper a camera man and a teacher lol.... If its ok for them to throw insults it only seems fair that I get to return the favor

darell1976
February 24th, 2013, 03:43 PM
I thought Cleets was the enforcer/muscle behind AGS!??!

Once again, it seems that I'm wrong.

Congrats, ND! Looks like a good hire! Best of luck to you guy's!

Thanks Grizo!! Good luck to you guys as well.

Bison Fan in NW MN
February 24th, 2013, 03:56 PM
Funny I'd say..... Made a comment about a team with a lousy defense and these three decide to attack my integrity work ethic and my worth I. The world again a beekeeper a camera man and a teacher lol.... If its ok for them to throw insults it only seems fair that I get to return the favor

Whine all you want. Tourguide posted you don't bring much to this forum and I agreed.

Make fun of my profession (beekeeping), I for one am damn proud of what I do....frickin hard work. Come walk in my shoes for a week and see what kind of work it is. Both of my parents were teachers also so I know firsthand how hard that job is. I don't know who you are refering to as a pothead.

You and lakes are 2 peas in a pod.

NoDak 4 Ever
February 24th, 2013, 03:58 PM
Whine all you want. Tourguide posted you don't bring much to this forum and I agreed.

Make fun of my profession (beekeeping), I for one am damn proud of what I do....frickin hard work. Come walk in my shoes for a week and see what kind of work it is. Both of my parents were teachers also so I know firsthand how hard that job is. I don't know who you are refering to as a pothead.

You and lakes are 2 peas in a pod.

Not gonna lie. Beekeeping sounds like a pretty ****ing cool job. I think it would be pretty bad *** when people ask you what do you do, to answer. "I'm a beekeeper".

darell1976
February 24th, 2013, 04:00 PM
I hate to breakup the Bison bashing fest but please stop doing it in this thread. Thank you!

NoDak 4 Ever
February 24th, 2013, 04:06 PM
I hate to breakup the Bison bashing fest but please stop doing it in this thread. Thank you!

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/23680813.jpg

Bison Fan in NW MN
February 24th, 2013, 04:13 PM
Not gonna lie. Beekeeping sounds like a pretty ****ing cool job. I think it would be pretty bad *** when people ask you what do you do, to answer. "I'm a beekeeper".

Ya, it is pretty cool. Hard work though. Just finished putting most of my hives in the almond orchards in CA for pollination. Honey production in ND and MN in the summer.

Bison Fan in NW MN
February 24th, 2013, 04:15 PM

Oh come on darell.....cut us some slack!

Is the UND defense going to be improved this year? Any incoming freshman going to get their shirts pulled?

darell1976
February 24th, 2013, 04:23 PM

Is the UND defense going to be improved this year? Any incoming freshman going to get their shirts pulled?

I do appreciate the butt-kicking that guy was getting from you but its clogging up the thread. As for our defense, I hope it does improve (I mean it can't get any worse can it?). I think it should be improved with the kids getting a year older plus getting experience from playing better teams like MSU, EWU, Cal Poly, NAU. Week after week of playing a ranked team was something this team has never seen. Going from the GWFC to the BSC is a big step and I hope we got that inexperience under our belt and now without the transition excuse we can focus on our goal of reaching the playoffs. 7 home games are a great start with the big boys coming to our building. Our road games are Idaho St, Portland State, Northern Arizona, and UC Davis. No Cal Poly this year, and Montana is an OOC game. I am unsure about any shirts being pulled. I think if there are injuries during the spring/summer than maybe other than that maybe not.

Bison Fan in NW MN
February 24th, 2013, 04:37 PM
I do appreciate the butt-kicking that guy was getting from you but its clogging up the thread. As for our defense, I hope it does improve (I mean it can't get any worse can it?). I think it should be improved with the kids getting a year older plus getting experience from playing better teams like MSU, EWU, Cal Poly, NAU. Week after week of playing a ranked team was something this team has never seen. Going from the GWFC to the BSC is a big step and I hope we got that inexperience under our belt and now without the transition excuse we can focus on our goal of reaching the playoffs. 7 home games are a great start with the big boys coming to our building. Our road games are Idaho St, Portland State, Northern Arizona, and UC Davis. No Cal Poly this year, and Montana is an OOC game. I am unsure about any shirts being pulled. I think if there are injuries during the spring/summer than maybe other than that maybe not.

Well if Muss can get the defense in order, UND should have a decent year. I still think Muss should return to the 'UND football' of the late 80s thru 2000s....pound the ball running and play very good defense.

I can tell you one thing, if both NDSU and UND make it into the playoffs and get matched up during the games....watch out!! That game would be off the charts in hype!!!

darell1976
February 24th, 2013, 04:47 PM
Well if Muss can get the defense in order, UND should have a decent year. I still think Muss should return to the 'UND football' of the late 80s thru 2000s....pound the ball running and play very good defense.

I can tell you one thing, if both NDSU and UND make it into the playoffs and get matched up during the games....watch out!! That game would be off the charts in hype!!!

You guys have a defense us UND fans would dream about having. It would take the second coming of Dale Lennon to come close to that. Running used to be our strong side and I don't know if it was the weak OL or if defenses figured it out, or if we had to play catchup why Muss went to a more passing attack. That 2012 season was the best passing team I have ever seen out of a UND team. Braden Hanson did things I have only seen in video games, I mean 600 yards passing. But too bad he was a one time thing. If we met in the playoffs that would be the talk of the town, state, and region. Win or lose I think the hype would be so high people would want to make it either annually or every other year since most fans now have yet to experience UND-NDSU on the gridiron.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 24th, 2013, 04:54 PM

Dead on man. One of the more interesting professions at the very least. How many natural food products can last for a couple thousand years without going bad.

darell1976
February 24th, 2013, 04:56 PM
Dead on man. One of the more interesting professions at the very least. How many natural food products can last for a couple thousand years without going bad.

Totally agree. It sounds like a kick *** job. I appreciate all the beekeepers out there!! Keep up the good work.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 24th, 2013, 05:08 PM
Ok, I see Unbison kept up the getting personal thing so he is off the FCSD froum for the week and possibly further. I'm not putting up with LB or ANY lackey's continuing the scorched earth **** this year.

Bison Fan in NW MN
February 24th, 2013, 05:17 PM

Between ND - SD - MN - MT, those states produce over 1/2 the honey in the US.

Kind of an interesting tidbit for ya......I have around 15K hives and they produce more honey than some states do total....pretty cool...xthumbsupx

Sorry for derailing the thread...

ursus arctos horribilis
February 24th, 2013, 05:20 PM
Between ND - SD - MN - MT, those states produce over 1/2 the honey in the US.

Kind of an interesting tidbit for ya......I have around 15K hives and they produce more honey than some states do total....pretty cool...xthumbsupx

Sorry for derailing the thread...

Ah, it a hiccup and could have went much worse. Plus I got some new information that feeds into an idea I've had for a while now so check your pm's.

WeAreNorthDakota
February 25th, 2013, 02:43 AM

I think it will be very difficult not to see an improvement. Kotelnicki has done a great job with the special teams as coordinator and I think he brings a fire to the field you didn't see with Mannaussau. Mannaussau always seemed passive to me which is absolutely not what you want in a DC. Kotelnicki should be better on that front. I've been very skeptical of UND's policy of promoting from within but I'm pretty confident this is a good hire. Hopefully Mussman went through a thorough hiring process and didn't just promote "his guy" without checking out all his options.

As far as freshman getting their shirts pulled, I think it's the guys from last year whose shirts were left on that will be making the big improvements. Specifically I'd look at a Mike Edwards at nose tackle to make a huge impact. Last year in fall camp he looked like one of our 2 or 3 best defensive linemen but with 3 senior starters made a bit of a roadblock to a lot of playing time. With a year in program and in the weightroom and with 4 years of eligibility left I fully expect him to be star. Plus there have been several DBs signed in the last two years that should breathe some new blood into the secondary.

As a fan, I can see the pieces in place for a defensive turnaround but I also see that it's crunchtime for Mussman and if he can't tap into that potential we need to look in a different direction.

darell1976
February 25th, 2013, 05:53 AM
I think it will be very difficult not to see an improvement. Kotelnicki has done a great job with the special teams as coordinator and I think he brings a fire to the field you didn't see with Mannaussau. Mannaussau always seemed passive to me which is absolutely not what you want in a DC. Kotelnicki should be better on that front. I've been very skeptical of UND's policy of promoting from within but I'm pretty confident this is a good hire. Hopefully Mussman went through a thorough hiring process and didn't just promote "his guy" without checking out all his options.

As far as freshman getting their shirts pulled, I think it's the guys from last year whose shirts were left on that will be making the big improvements. Specifically I'd look at a Mike Edwards at nose tackle to make a huge impact. Last year in fall camp he looked like one of our 2 or 3 best defensive linemen but with 3 senior starters made a bit of a roadblock to a lot of playing time. With a year in program and in the weightroom and with 4 years of eligibility left I fully expect him to be star. Plus there have been several DBs signed in the last two years that should breathe some new blood into the secondary.

As a fan, I can see the pieces in place for a defensive turnaround but I also see that it's crunchtime for Mussman and if he can't tap into that potential we need to look in a different direction.

The biggest test will be Sept 7th against South Dakota State, as Valpo won't be much of a test to measure how the defense has improved.

Hambone
February 27th, 2013, 12:39 PM

I agree that Mike Edwards is going to be looked at as a RFr that will make an impact. Losing the three seniors on the DL, we also need to find some ends that can produce. I've heard good things about Alec Carrothers, who will be a RFr, at one of those spots. Additionally, I'd heard that Garrett Cary, a true Fr signed out of Wisco this year, could be in line to lose his shirt as the staff is very high on him. At the LB position, I think most are looking for Garrison Goodman to come back from a nagging injury he had all year, and looking at Brian Labatt, who will be a RFr, to get some meaningful snaps. The OLB corp has underacheived the past couple years, so hopefully they can regroup and have an effective year. Looking for Taj Rich to be an impact RFr next year.

As it relates to the DBs, I was very surprised that UND did not sign any CB's. If we have to rely on Chavon Mackey at one corner, then we're in trouble. We are somewhat thin at safety, although it will be interesting to see if So. Javen Butler can do some more after a little more time learning the playbook (sat out Fr. year for academics, so didn't get to practice). Also, Tyrhe Ivery was switched to DB, so it will be interesting to see if he can make some noise with an entire offseason to get acclimated, as the limited time he spent there at the end of last year he actually looked okay. As far as shirts pulled, UND brought in a couple safeties from Illinois who could make an immediate impact in Cole Reyes and Cam Kuksa. I believe the staff is almost expecting that Reyes is pulled.

Overall, the defense can't get much worse, so I'm hoping some of the underclassmen can come in and play with a fire that appeared to be missing last year. I agree that Kotelnicki seems to have a different approach than Mannassau, so we'll see if that translates into some fire on the field. I think UND was missing leaders on the defense last year, as well as being a little snake bitten with the injuries, but hopefully this year Goodman can be that veteran leader and the defense can make some strides to get back to where they were in the early 2000s.