PDA

View Full Version : Harmon's Picks: Week One

TexasTerror
August 29th, 2006, 12:47 PM
This guy is the fella that picks the scores for all the I-A games and because of all the I-AA vs I-A games, figured I'd post his I-AA games...

Of course, he does have the I-AA teams projected to be shutout with no wins. Here's hoping there's a few I-AAs that prove him wrong! :thumbsup:

Games for the weekend of Sept. 2
*Arizona State 49 Northern Arizona 10
*Boise State 48 Sacramento State 7
*Central Florida 32 Villanova 6
*Cincinnati 30 Eastern Kentucky 7
*Colorado 41 Montana State 3
*Colorado State 39 Weber State 7
*Connecticut 36 Rhode Island 6
*Duke 28 Richmond 6
*Georgia 44 Western Kentucky 7
*Illinois 37 Eastern Illinois 13
*Iowa 35 Montana 10
*Kansas 36 Northwestern State 3
*Kansas State 47 Illinois State 3
*Louisiana-Monroe 31 Alcorn State 13
*Maryland 33 William & Mary 7
*Missouri 48 Murray State 9
*New Mexico 31 Portland State 3
*New Mexico State 26 Southeastern Louisiana 9
*North Carolina State 28 Appalachian State 3
*Oklahoma State 44 Missouri State 8
*Oregon State 42 Eastern Washington 7
*South Florida 28 McNeese State 8
*Texas A&M 35 The Citadel 6
*Tulsa 38 Stephen F. Austin 10
*UNLV 31 Idaho State 3
*Virginia Tech 49 Northeastern 6

* denotes home team

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/8820391

dbackjon
August 29th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Giving some teams, like UNLV, Duke, WAY too much credit

ucdtim17
August 29th, 2006, 01:05 PM
I don't see the point of "picking" these games - he obviously has no idea about a good I-AA vs. a weak I-AA - he might as well have labeled them all 49-7

ISUMatt
August 29th, 2006, 01:18 PM
This dude knows NOTHING about I-AA :)...Illinois State will not lose 47-3...MARK THAT DOWN!!!

dbackjon
August 29th, 2006, 01:22 PM
I don't see the point of "picking" these games - he obviously has no idea about a good I-AA vs. a weak I-AA - he might as well have labeled them all 49-7

No Shi'ite - he has only 5 I-AA teams scoring more than 10 points - EIU and Alcorn at 13 the most :rolleyes:

Tod
August 29th, 2006, 01:49 PM
Giving some teams, like UNLV, Duke, WAY too much credit

NMSU as well. This is nothing but laziness. If he goes 21-5, he can pretend he's brilliant. :rolleyes:

Lionsrking
August 29th, 2006, 02:26 PM
This guy is the fella that picks the scores for all the I-A games and because of all the I-AA vs I-A games, figured I'd post his I-AA games...

Of course, he does have the I-AA teams projected to be shutout with no wins. Here's hoping there's a few I-AAs that prove him wrong! :thumbsup:

*Duke 28 Richmond 6
*Iowa 35 Montana 10
*UNLV 31 Idaho State 3

* denotes home team

Not only does he not predict a I-AA win, he apparently doesn't think any of the games will be close.

NSUDemon98
August 29th, 2006, 02:32 PM
This dude knows NOTHING about I-AA :)...Illinois State will not lose 47-3...MARK THAT DOWN!!!

And NSU WILL score more than 3 points on Kansas...it may be 6, but it will be more than 3.

PantherMan
August 29th, 2006, 03:27 PM
NMSU as well. This is nothing but laziness. If he goes 21-5, he can pretend he's brilliant. :rolleyes:

Out of that list, I highly doubt that 5 IAA's beat 5 IA's. Maybe 2 or 3...maybe...xcoffeex

EDIT: In fact, I would choose all of the IA's to win given that list. The scores of many of the games would/will be closer, but the outcome for most will be the same.:twocents:

Catmendue2
August 29th, 2006, 03:34 PM

*Duke 28 Richmond 6
*Iowa 35 Montana 10
*UNLV 31 Idaho State 3

* denotes home team

What happen to his 1-AA picks, he had done them for years. I saw them last year in the early season.

Mr. C
August 29th, 2006, 11:47 PM
To me, it would be a shocking upset for Duke to BEAT Richmond. Richmond's tough, experienced defense licking it's chops at a freshman QB. Maybe they goofed and meant that Richmond would be scoring 28 points to 6 for the Pukies from Dukie.

I also would be surprised if a very inexperienced North Carolina State defense can hold Appalachian State's high-powered offense to three points. I am anticipating a barnburner of a game Saturday in Raleigh. This is the most I've aniticipated a I-A vs I-AA game I've covered in person since the Appalachian State-Auburn game in 1999 (which came down to a last-minute bomb by Auburn to pull the game out).

We WILL see some I-AA wins over I-As on Saturday.

Tod
August 30th, 2006, 12:24 AM
Out of that list, I highly doubt that 5 IAA's beat 5 IA's. Maybe 2 or 3...maybe...xcoffeex

EDIT: In fact, I would choose all of the IA's to win given that list. The scores of many of the games would/will be closer, but the outcome for most will be the same.:twocents:

You didn't get my point, though. To the average college football fan (i.e., I-A fan) even doing as bad as 21-5 would look great. That was meant as a worst-case scenario, from his perspective.

That was not a prediction on my part, I was merely giving my :twocents: on how laziness can work well for an ignorant reporter with ignorant fans.

Edit - I have a problem with each of these games. I think the I-AA team can win all of these games.

*UNLV 31 Idaho State 3

Catmendue2
August 30th, 2006, 08:33 AM
To me, it would be a shocking upset for Duke to BEAT Richmond. Richmond's tough, experienced defense licking it's chops at a freshman QB. Maybe they goofed and meant that Richmond would be scoring 28 points to 6 for the Pukies from Dukie.

I also would be surprised if a very inexperienced North Carolina State defense can hold Appalachian State's high-powered offense to three points. I am anticipating a barnburner of a game Saturday in Raleigh. This is the most I've aniticipated a I-A vs I-AA game I've covered in person since the Appalachian State-Auburn game in 1999 (which came down to a last-minute bomb by Auburn to pull the game out).

We WILL see some I-AA wins over I-As on Saturday.

The only possible win for the 1-AA is going to Mcneese beating USF.

HI54UNI
August 30th, 2006, 12:37 PM

Montana will score more than 10 points on Iowa.

MSUBear42
August 30th, 2006, 01:08 PM
"Oklahoma State 44 Missouri State 8"

8?!?! Who the heck predicts a team to score 8???

ucdtim17
August 30th, 2006, 01:35 PM
"Oklahoma State 44 Missouri State 8"

8?!?! Who the heck predicts a team to score 8???

Someone who is randomly picking point totals between 30 and 60 for the I-A teams and 0 and 10 for the I-AA teams.

It is a smart bet to pick the I-A's in all these games, but there are upsets every year and there are even more close games every year. He probably picked OSU over MSU 54-3 last year and it ended up 15-10. He loses credibility picking EVERY SINGLE GAME as a blowout. That is NEVER the case.

Ronbo
August 30th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Montana will score more than 10 points on Iowa.

We might have with Hilliard and Chambers. Both out for this game along with a starting O-Lineman.

Mr. C
August 30th, 2006, 02:46 PM
The only possible win for the 1-AA is going to Mcneese beating USF.
Saying that the only POSSIBLE win is McNeese is ridiculous. If these teams have NO chance, wh wre they playing the games and why will we be watching? Upsets happen all the time (I got burned on that last year when I said Coastal Carolina had NO chance to beat James Madison). There will be upsets this Saturday.

Do you have no clue about what Richmond and Duke bring back? Duke was 1-10 last season (not always playing the best of teams, either) and lost its QB during camp to academic fraud. They are starting a freshman QB (along with the rest of their pathetic talent) against a defense that includes two I-AA All-Americans and was among the best in the tough A-10 and I-AA last season. Richmond has a mean defense and will eat this kid up. Duke's only hope is that Richmond's new QB is ineffective and that the Blue Devils can stop the Spiders' solid running game. This is a Richmond team that shared the A-10 title last year and has a lot of folks back (though they did lose QB Stacy Tutt). If Duke played in the A-10, the Blue Devils would still have a hard time coming up with a winning record. I only wish that this game time was staggered into the afternoon, so I could watch it live and then dash over from Durham to Raleigh for the App State-NC State (another game that could see a I-AA earn a win).

Mr. Tiger
August 30th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Richmond will beat Duke. McNeese State will beat South Florida. App State, Illnois State, Montana, Northwestern State, and Eastern Illinois will hang tough against their D I-A opponents. The Citadel will play Texas A&M close in the first half and Missouri State will do the same against Oklahoma State but both games won't be close in the end. Tulsa and Virginia Tech will have blowout victories.