PDA

View Full Version : From ESPN on covering I-AA

Retro
June 6th, 2005, 11:00 AM
I ran across this from the ESPN insider page.....

Division of Assets

One of the questions I seem to get a lot, although nowhere near as often as "How come we can't have a playoff?" or "What's up with all the fat cracks, did Mangino cut you off in some media buffet line?" or "Are you related to Pete Carroll?" is, can we get a little more coverage of Division I-AA? The answer is yes, well kinda.
In following up on Friday's lede item about whether to drop down to the I-AA level or not in regards to former South Carolina RB Demetris Summers, we are focusing Monday's effort on Hofstra, a school that loads up on former 1-A guys.

Led by one-time Oregon State QB Anton Clarkson, the son of southern California QB guru Steve Clarkson, Hofstra has a high-octane run n' shoot-style passing game. However this offseason Hofstra has implemented a tight end into the offense. The reason? To accommodate transfer Brandon Sebald, a 6-6, 250-pound senior, who grew up about 90 minutes north of Hofstra in Ulster County, N.Y. (It's not exactly a football hotbed, although we do claim comic Jimmy Fallon as one of our own, and yes, I am from there as well.)

Sebald's decision to transfer to a I-AA school is the flip side of the Summers deal. A former all-everything tight end recruit, Sebald spent four years at Miami and won a national title ring, but he was primarily a blocking tight end. In fact, Sebald was such a force at the point of attack, UM turned him to last year when injuries ravaged its O-line and played him as a waaaay undersized OT. Sebald did his part, but really couldn't see himself trying to pack on 40 lbs, so instead he opted to transfer to 1-AA Hofstra, where his younger brother Chris is a starting linebacker.

"In the end it just came down to my future," Sebald said. "I want to play in the league and bouncing around between TE and tackle wasn't gonna cut it. I know I just need to get out there and play, and that's why I started playing this game anyway, for the fun, and I wasn't having too much sitting on the sideline playing some days and not others."

Sebald, who is rooming with former Penn State O-lineman Tom McHugh, says because he is having a lot of fun the move is already paying off. Plus being closer to his family helps also. Of course, it is an adjustment going from training in 80-degree weather to walking outside and seeing a foot-and-a-half of snow.

We found a good website that focuses on I-AA football (showingblitz.com)and had a list of many of the "drop downs." Among the names that got our attention here: former Wake/Arkansas WR Carlos Ousley (Alabama State); Florida QB Justin Midgett (E. Illinois); speedy Miami CB Tra Bain (Hampton); Michigan RB Pierre Rembert (Illinois St.); Nebraska RB David Horne (N. Iowa); Arizona QB Nic Costa (Portland State); and Miss. State LB Marvin Byrdsong (NW State).

Lehigh Football Nation
June 6th, 2005, 11:16 AM
I ran across this from the ESPN insider page.....

...we are focusing Monday's effort on Hofstra, a school that loads up on former 1-A guys....

Define "load up on I-A guys". I challenge that assertion. In Delaware 2003 title run they had how many transfers, 5? 6? The article makes it sound like I-AA have all-star teams based on I-A rejects and special cases.

Overall, it's not a bad article, but it's stupid crap like this that aggravates me.

putter
June 6th, 2005, 12:25 PM
I think that attitude is typical. The only way I-AA can compete is with I-A rejects is something we have heard from the press for a long-time and with the way the NCAA is pussing out on standards at I-A it will only get worse.

WMTribe90
June 6th, 2005, 12:30 PM
It burns me that the only time ESPN will discuss I-AA football is if there is some IA angle attached. If a I-AA beats a I-A thats newsworthy. If a IA kid transfers to I-AA that newsworthy. I won't give ESPN any props until they stop covering I-AA from the I-A prespective.

eaglefan452
June 6th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Maybe an important point that could be made to him is that GSU, one of, if not the most successful program in I-AA, has seldom had huge impact players that were I-A transfers.

blueballs
June 6th, 2005, 01:08 PM
Maybe an important point that could be made to him is that GSU, one of, if not the most successful program in I-AA, has seldom had huge impact players that were I-A transfers.

In fact, you can name the transfers at GSU who've had a major impact on the title teams in one breath- Vance Pike, Nate Gates, Gino Tutera- I can't think of any more off the top of my head.

SUjagTILLiDIE
June 6th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Is your school "in the house?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://espn.go.com/espnu/espnu_colors.html Press on the "U" and find out if you can locate your school

eaglefan452
June 6th, 2005, 03:33 PM
Is your school "in the house?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://espn.go.com/espnu/espnu_colors.html Press on the "U" and find out if you can locate your school

I think the only schools "in the house" are the I-A schools.

Retro
June 6th, 2005, 03:43 PM
No, there are some I-AA schools, but they are all HBCU's.. Grambling, Southern and Hampton.. Typical ESPN.. Short Memory and Out of touch! :rolleyes:

EagleCrusade
June 6th, 2005, 10:33 PM
Mainly because HBCU alumns are vocal and proud.

Imagine what could happen should I-AA as a whole join together...

Libertine
June 7th, 2005, 08:31 AM
OK, I-A and I-AA issues aside, does anyone else question the wisdom of a guy who wants to make it to the NFL as a tight end transferring from a school that has produced some good tight ends to another school that hasn't even had a tight end on the roster for the last decade?

Marcus Garvey
June 7th, 2005, 09:54 AM
ESPN is in the business of making money. They make money by selling advertising. Advertising rates are determined by viewership/web hits. For good or ill, most college football fans are of the casual type. As such, they don't give a rat's a$$ about I-AA.

Getting steamed about it is pointless. I-AA will have to market itself if it really wants TV coverage. Personally, I don't really care. I'll follow the games and read up on them regardless. I'm happy that I can at least get fairly up-to-date scores off of ESPN.com and the box scores/recaps when the game is over. 15 years ago, I'd have had to wait for the Sunday paper. Even then, all I got was the final score printed on the standings page.

BTW, I think Yahoo Sports has the best college football scoreboard. They also have links to "web-casts" of the game, both free and pay.

Marcus Garvey
June 7th, 2005, 10:01 AM
OK, I-A and I-AA issues aside, does anyone else question the wisdom of a guy who wants to make it to the NFL as a tight end transferring from a school that has produced some good tight ends to another school that hasn't even had a tight end on the roster for the last decade?

He has to transfer. Miami wasn't using him as receiving TE, which was killing his chances for the NFL. He needs to play NOW, so that means transferring to a I-AA school.

Now I agree with your point on the wisdom of choosing Hofstra, but his chances of making the NFL were pretty much nil considering his role in the Miami offense.

WMTribe90
June 7th, 2005, 10:19 AM
ESPN is in the business of making money. They make money by selling advertising. Advertising rates are determined by viewership/web hits. For good or ill, most college football fans are of the casual type. As such, they don't give a rat's a$$ about I-AA.

I know ESPN is in it to make money. That's fine. I'm also not clamoring for more I-AA coverage by ESPN. I guess my beef is that if they do pieces on I-AA at least be fair and accurate. Don't make it sound like I-AA is a dumping ground for IA and don't insinuate the talent level of IA is vastly superior to I-AA. We would be better off with no coverage.

Yahoo sports is the best.

eaglefan452
June 7th, 2005, 12:55 PM
Don't make it sound like I-AA is a dumping ground for IA and don't insinuate the talent level of IA is vastly superior to I-AA.

People wouldn't think that I-AA was the "dumping ground" for I-A if so many I-AA teams wouldn't pick up those players that were "dumped".

Retro
June 7th, 2005, 07:52 PM
You know what really wake up some people... Let's say we had a weekend where 3-4 BCS I-A level teams were beaten by some I-AA teams. Then they interview a player from the I-AA team and he says... "We just wanted to show the nation and the blind media tha I-AA is the way real football is played, on the field, from start to finish! :p