PDA

View Full Version : Montana State AD Defends Bison Game Buyout: Article

BisonHype!
February 20th, 2013, 08:34 AM
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/390633/

I get that programs want another Home game, but I still think it could have been done different. There was probably another game that they could have bought out of, not someone that you just screwed over now twice on the buyout. Plus you did it very late in the game... Douchebags.

kdinva
February 20th, 2013, 08:54 AM
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/390633/

I get that programs want another Home game, but I still think it could have been done different. .

......like prior to Jan. 1st.........

Laker
February 20th, 2013, 09:03 AM
So MSU is up $200,000 (I assume before travel expenses) and NDSU is down $100,000 but gets a home game. Anyone know about how much the Bison pull in for a home game?

"Montana State is paying the $100,000 buyout to NDSU for the Sept. 14 game and will travel to SMU for a $300,000 guarantee. MSU is then paying Monmouth (N.J.) $200,000 for an Aug. 29 game."

slostang
February 20th, 2013, 10:22 AM
Not the popular answer, but I can see why it was done.

Bisonator
February 20th, 2013, 10:26 AM
Not the popular answer, but I can see why it was done.

Yeah, me too, their chicken!

They could have asked GT for the $200,000 to get their home game and still come to Fargo to play. They chose not to and get themselves an easier game (yes I'm saying SMU is an easier game!) and screw NDSU over!

NDB
February 20th, 2013, 10:56 AM
I too am tired of MSU's chicken!

that bastard is ruining fcs football for all of us!!!

Professor Chaos
February 20th, 2013, 11:17 AM
He either didn't realize that his fan base wanted 6 homes games until a week ago or they intentionally kept NDSU in the dark about it. So MSU AD guy is either a dip**** or a cowardly dip****.

GlassOnion
February 20th, 2013, 11:18 AM
Sounds like NDSU got bit in the butt twice. Pretty crappy on MSU's part.

But, MSU had already pulled out on you once, and you only sign them up for a $100,000 buyout? Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. NDSU's AD is paid to take care of their interests, and MSU's AD for theirs. If MSU can screw over NDSU more than once for their own benefit, cant really blame them.

wapiti
February 20th, 2013, 11:26 AM
I hope that MSU and NDSU can schedule another game to happen at Fargo.
(and make the buy out higher.)

BisonFan02
February 20th, 2013, 11:36 AM

Not gonna happen. If MSU's goal (like NDSU's) is six home games every year, plus their conf. schedule, that would only leave them one opening per year to be on the road and that appears to be an FBS guarantee game. I won't lose any sleep if they don't ever play I guess.

BisonBacker
February 20th, 2013, 11:40 AM

But, MSU had already pulled out on you once, and you only sign them up for a $100,000 buyout? Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. NDSU's AD is paid to take care of their interests, and MSU's AD for theirs. If MSU can screw over NDSU more than once for their own benefit, cant really blame them.

This is what I was alluding to in the thread I started with the poll. I can still blame MSU to some extent but I also am pointing my finger at GT. I still wouldn't trade GT for the douche in Fields but Gene better get his shat together. Future Home and Homes either better have the front end of the agreement in Fargo or a hell of a lot higher buyout to prevent chickensh-t moves like this. Fields is still a douche for waiting as long as he did but Gene bears some of the blame for agreeing to this crap in the first place.

BisonBacker
February 20th, 2013, 11:41 AM

F That. I only want to see the kitties in Fargo in the Playoffs and I hope they get the same welcome GSU did the first year they played in Fargo.

IBleedYellow
February 20th, 2013, 12:54 PM
I've said it once and I'll say it again:

The Bison remember when you back out of agreements, just look at Georgian Southern.

PS: IF you say that using the buyout clause isn't backing out, you're correct, but they still backed out of the game, so stfu.

bobcathpdevil56
February 20th, 2013, 12:54 PM
This is what I was alluding to in the thread I started with the poll. I can still blame MSU to some extent but I also am pointing my finger at GT. I still wouldn't trade GT for the douche in Fields but Gene better get his shat together. Future Home and Homes either better have the front end of the agreement in Fargo or a hell of a lot higher buyout to prevent chickensh-t moves like this. Fields is still a douche for waiting as long as he did but Gene bears some of the blame for agreeing to this crap in the first place.

Usually you dont think you are gonna get screwed over by supposedly classy programs like MSU. Unless you have an coward as an AD. That has done nothing here but make everyone else in Bobcat nation look like cowards. A$$hole Fields. Still pretty angry about this thing

NoDak 4 Ever
February 20th, 2013, 12:57 PM
Usually you dont think you are gonna get screwed over by supposedly classy programs like MSU. Unless you have an coward as an AD. That has done nothing here but make everyone else in Bobcat nation look like cowards. A$$hole Fields. Still pretty angry about this thing

I am pretty impressed with the majority of Bobcat fans who feel the same way about this as we do.

Bisonator
February 20th, 2013, 01:08 PM

It's safe to say most NDSU fans are not blaming any of this on MSU fans. This is entirely on MSU's administration! I'm also not placing the blame entirely on Fields. I think he may have fell on the sword for Ash this time!

ursus arctos horribilis
February 20th, 2013, 01:21 PM
It's safe to say most NDSU fans are not blaming any of this on MSU fans. This is entirely on MSU's administration! I'm also not placing the blame entirely on Fields. I think he may have fell on the sword for Ash this time!

Well, not right now anyway. In the next couple of years you will be however. It will be used against MSU fans going forward at every opportunity to take a shot at them by a lot of you. This real time discussion will be discarded as if it didn't happen. Trust me.

Not even picking on NDSU fans for what's coming, it's just the way these things work.

NoDak 4 Ever
February 20th, 2013, 02:50 PM
Well, not right now anyway. In the next couple of years you will be however. It will be used against MSU fans going forward at every opportunity to take a shot at them by a lot of you. This real time discussion will be discarded as if it didn't happen. Trust me.

Not even picking on NDSU fans for what's coming, it's just the way these things work.

Since it is only fans with which we will have interaction, that is where all the beef will lie. Unless Finch somehow gets a AGS account.

Southern Bison
February 20th, 2013, 03:10 PM

A shot at them for years to come? This has to do with the timeline of events, not the buyout itself and we all know that the MSU fanbase didn't have anything to do with this decision no matter how Fields tries to spin it on the Fargo ESPN show.

BisonAccountant44
February 20th, 2013, 03:12 PM

I agree with you, but don't forget this contract was signed in 2008-09(?) when $100k was considered a high buyout. The buyout for the first game was only $10k.

BisonBacker
February 20th, 2013, 03:20 PM
I agree with you, but don't forget this contract was signed in 2008-09(?) when $100k was considered a high buyout. The buyout for the first game was only $10k.

True but he also was burned once by them already. It may have seemed high then but GT gets paid to think ahead. With the track record of one game already being bought out or pushed off into the future it would have been prudent for him to factor in the higher buyout given the time between when the second contract for this years game and when it was put together. Yes we all have the benefit of hind sight now but again Gene is paid a good salary to think ahead not based on 2008 or 2009. The game was scheduled for 2013 and has you have so eloquently pointed out 100k was considered a good sum then. 100k now obviously is not as we are finding out the hard way!

Twentysix
February 20th, 2013, 03:23 PM
Yeah, me too, their chicken!

They could have asked GT for the $200,000 to get their home game and still come to Fargo to play. They chose not to and get themselves an easier game (yes I'm saying SMU is an easier game!) and screw NDSU over!

Realistically, if MSU extorted $200,000 extra out of NDSU just to play the back end of an ancient home and home we would have been just as pissed as we are now. I don't know how people suggest this with a straight face.

Maybe in 2015 or whenever we play the Griz in the back half of the home and home, Gene can call them up and demand $300,000 or we won't show up... what is this the freakin mafia?

BisonBacker
February 20th, 2013, 03:32 PM
Another point to consider. As Gene is putting these schedules together the fans are being sold a bill of goods that in the end isn't what they were told. Not blaming Gene entirely on this but he's got to go the extra mile to make sure that these things don't happen anymore. He's had the benefit of watching what happened to SDSU. What happened to NDSU already therefore make it so if any future OOC opponent wants to try this crap it will hurt them more than help them. Obviously MSU isn't coming out of this thing as the douchebag fields wants to say revenue neutral. As long as you leave it or have contracts you leave yourself open to this crap.

Engineer86
February 20th, 2013, 03:44 PM
Make the buy out the higher of X and what every you gain from backing out plus Y, so there is a true cost to backing out. I can understand the economics of the thing, but I lean towards the view that is is just a bad move in the long run to screw another program to make it work. Karma is a B

Go Bison
February 20th, 2013, 04:02 PM
Another point to consider. As Gene is putting these schedules together the fans are being sold a bill of goods that in the end isn't what they were told. Not blaming Gene entirely on this but he's got to go the extra mile to make sure that these things don't happen anymore. He's had the benefit of watching what happened to SDSU. What happened to NDSU already therefore make it so if any future OOC opponent wants to try this crap it will hurt them more than help them. Obviously MSU isn't coming out of this thing as the douchebag fields wants to say revenue neutral. As long as you leave it or have contracts you leave yourself open to this crap.

As a Bison ticket holder that drives from the Twin Cities the home schedule without Montana State doesn't look very attractive any more. Granted I don't make it to all the home games but Montana State was one I was going to go to for sure. Now it looks like UNI and Illinois State are really the only games worth making the trip for.

BisonBacker
February 20th, 2013, 04:07 PM
As a Bison ticket holder that drives from the Twin Cities the home schedule without Montana State doesn't look very attractive any more. Granted I don't make it to all the home games but Montana State was one I was going to go to for sure. Now it looks like UNI and Illinois State are really the only games worth making the trip for.

This is exactly my point about GT doing a better job of locking these teams in. Yes there are some valid points to defend him but he still bears some responsibility in this fiasco and I'm just hoping now that after two snubs by the same team he's learned.

Go Bison
February 20th, 2013, 04:21 PM
This is exactly my point about GT doing a better job of locking these teams in. Yes there are some valid points to defend him but he still bears some responsibility in this fiasco and I'm just hoping now that after two snubs by the same team he's learned.

Here is what I think should have happened. When the deal was reached back in 2009 with a buyout of $100,000 there should have also been a clause in there that for every year that Montana State doesn't return the trip the buyout goes up by $50,000 to $75,000. So 4 years later the buyout would be $300,000+.

Mdh1
February 20th, 2013, 04:21 PM
IF you say that using the buyout clause isn't backing out, you're correct, but they still backed out of the game, so stfu.

I realize that this "exercising a buyout option isn't backing out" idea did not start with you IBleedYellow, so I am not directing this at you, but at this idea.

A buyout clause is not performance of a contract. A buyout clause is backing out. A buyout clause is best thought of as a combination of two concepts in contract law. (1) Repudiation ("I am not going to fulfill my end of this bargain") followed by (2) Liquidated Damages ("In order to avoid going to court over this, we agreed that a breach of this contract will result in $100,000 worth of damages"). Exercising a buyout clause is not performance of the contract- it's the parties' pre-determined remedy if either party decides not to perform under the contract.

BisonBacker
February 20th, 2013, 04:26 PM
I realize that this "exercising a buyout option isn't backing out" idea did not start with you IBleedYellow, so I am not directing this at you, but at this idea.

A buyout clause is not performance of a contract. A buyout clause is backing out. A buyout clause is best thought of as a combination of two concepts in contract law. (1) Repudiation ("I am not going to fulfill my end of this bargain") followed by (2) Liquidated Damages ("In order to avoid going to court over this, we agreed that a breach of this contract will result in $100,000 worth of damages"). Exercising a buyout clause is not performance of the contract- it's Montana State's Coaches and AD admitting we would not be able to perform or compete against NDSU in Fargo and since they already kicked our A$$ in Bozeman and we don't want to suffer that embarrassment in Fargo so we will turn tail and run.

There I fixed it for you!

catbob
February 20th, 2013, 08:42 PM
Well at least NDSU fans aren't overreacting and complaining at all.

Grizalltheway
February 20th, 2013, 08:53 PM

No kidding. I'm sure you guys would be all sunshine and rainbows if the situation were reversed.

OrygunBison
February 20th, 2013, 11:40 PM

Personally, I'm not too disappointed about this. I'd rather we bring in some quality competition anyway rather than having to see our third string in by the end of the 3rd Quarter like last time. I think that was in your place, right? I also wouldn't want to see Tits McGee get injured that early and be out for the season. Last time was difficult to watch.

I think Wagner has an open date. At least they won't fold up like a rusty lawnchair.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 21st, 2013, 12:33 AM
A shot at them for years to come? This has to do with the timeline of events, not the buyout itself and we all know that the MSU fanbase didn't have anything to do with this decision no matter how Fields tries to spin it on the Fargo ESPN show.

But they will hear about it at every turn for a while...maybe not from you but it's gonna happen. Hell, I'm probably gonna use it myself at some point.xlolx

Kidding MSU fella's, kidding. Too soon?

NoDak 4 Ever
February 21st, 2013, 07:32 AM
But they will hear about it at every turn for a while...maybe not from you but it's gonna happen. Hell, I'm probably gonna use it myself at some point.xlolx

Kidding MSU fella's, kidding. Too soon?

It's February, what else are we going to talk about?

Go Bison
February 21st, 2013, 08:26 AM
No kidding. I'm sure you guys would be all sunshine and rainbows if the situation were reversed.

Yup I could see Bobcats fans saying that NDSU just made a business transaction that was best for their program. Way to go NDSU! We don't mind at all that you backed out of a game and only left us 6 months to find a new opponent that will cost us at least $200,000+ to find.

BisonBacker
February 21st, 2013, 08:49 AM
It's an MSU fan what's he going to say. Most of them get that it was a dickheaded move. But a few will try to defend it and the douche Fields and for those fans I say F'em.

Laker
February 21st, 2013, 09:00 AM
It's February, what else are we going to talk about?

Hmmmm. It isn't a Leap Year. How about "When does spring football start?" :)

AmsterBison
February 21st, 2013, 12:13 PM

Yes, it will haunt Montana State's program for years. So what?

The easy way to avoid having your school's actions brought up years later is to have your school honor agreements in the first place.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 21st, 2013, 01:23 PM

The easy way to avoid having your school's actions brought up years later is to have your school honor agreements in the first place.

Yeah, so what? You are saying the same thing I just said with the exception that you must somehow think they had a community decision made here?xlolx

It seems that after the fact they are trying to alert the AD that this isn't acceptable to them so it seems they are doing what you suggest.

Gil Dobie
February 21st, 2013, 01:51 PM
Didn't Teddy Kaczynski run and hide in Montana too?

NoDak 4 Ever
February 21st, 2013, 01:56 PM
Yeah, so what? You are saying the same thing I just said with the exception that you must somehow think they had a community decision made here?xlolx

It seems that after the fact they are trying to alert the AD that this isn't acceptable to them so it seems they are doing what you suggest.

Hopefully we get that game scheduled soon so we can quit picking on this one. MSU will get theirs, just like Georgia Southern. Of that there is no doubt.

AmsterBison
February 21st, 2013, 02:03 PM

We probably agree on this: Montana State fans will hear about this for years, not just from NDSU fans.
We seem disagree on this: I think that Bison fans will blame MSU's athletic department for this, not Bobcat fans, while you seem to think that Bobcat fans will get blamed.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 21st, 2013, 02:39 PM
We probably agree on this: Montana State fans will hear about this for years, not just from NDSU fans.
We seem disagree on this: I think that Bison fans will blame MSU's athletic department for this, not Bobcat fans, while you seem to think that Bobcat fans will get blamed.

You could be correct but I'm pretty sure the fans shoulder it after the initial stuff is forgotten. It's the nature of the boards and taking it out on the convenient representatives.

MSUBobcat
February 21st, 2013, 06:37 PM
You could be correct but I'm pretty sure the fans shoulder it after the initial stuff is forgotten. It's the nature of the boards and taking it out on the convenient representatives.

Kinda what I've been thinking after 2 threads, 350+ posts with 80% or more from Bison fans even though MSU fans seem to be just as disgusted as them. Usually to get high post counts, there is some kind of disagreement. Not to mention a poll whining about buyouts where the outcome overwhelmingly favors leaving them in contracts. I think this is what prompted catbob's comment about overreacting and complaining. MSU fans didn't do this to you. We don't like that it was done. We don't like how it makes the program look. You have a legitimate beef with Fields (who we also agree is a D-bag). But every Bison fan posting on a forum that I'm almost positive Fields doesn't read is preaching to the choir. I feel bad for NDSU, but now the incessant griping is starting to get old. Fields screwed you, not us. "Life sucks. Get a f'king helmet."

catbob
February 21st, 2013, 07:01 PM

No one is going to remember (read care) about this by the end of the year except NDSU fans.

I wish we didn't cancel, but these things happen. No use crying about it, is all I'm saying.

tourguide
February 21st, 2013, 07:43 PM
No one is going to remember (read care) about this by the end of the year except NDSU fans.

I wish we didn't cancel, but these things happen. No use crying about it, is all I'm saying.

and no need crying about it when I say this is strictly bobcats fans fault

Griz_are_Beta_AF
February 21st, 2013, 08:47 PM

So we canceled the game with you guys? We didn't make that decision so it's completely wrong to say it's the fan's fault.

Bisonoline
February 21st, 2013, 09:25 PM

Seriously?

gotts
February 21st, 2013, 09:34 PM
Everybody get your troll on, everybody get your motherf***ing troll on...

MSUBobcat
February 21st, 2013, 09:42 PM

xbawlingxxbawlingx Ok, I jest. Your opinion means less than nothing to me. I'm done saying I think NDSU that got the snotty end of the f'ck stick. As gotts said, get your troll on. I'm not biting anymore. Flame on.

MSUBobcat
February 21st, 2013, 09:46 PM
Everybody get your troll on, everybody get your motherf***ing troll on...

xoutofrepx Sorry gotts. I repped bisonoline too and it still says I must spread rep before giving it to you so apparently I like things you say.

Bison Fan in NW MN
February 23rd, 2013, 09:29 AM

For me as a season ticket holder also, I could care less who GT brings in to play. Yes, Montana State would have been a great game to go to but personally I do not think it would have been much of a game this year.

These are the kind of FCS games that this division needs; two good teams from 'power' FCS conferences playing each other in OCC games.

GT will bring in another Pioneer- NEC - Patriot - or SWAC team but it will definitely cost more this time.

Montana State's coach didn't want to start out 0-2, plain and simple.

CrazyCat
February 23rd, 2013, 09:42 AM
He didn't want to start 0-2, so he scheduled an FBS game ? How does he know he'll lose the first game when he didn't know the opponent ?

ngineer
February 23rd, 2013, 11:17 AM

Gamous Interruptus...

Bison Fan in NW MN
February 23rd, 2013, 01:34 PM
He didn't want to start 0-2, so he scheduled an FBS game ? How does he know he'll lose the first game when he didn't know the opponent ?

You're right....I thought there was a FBS game for the 1st game.

Still makes it very difficult for NDSU to get a team to come for the last home game.