PDA

View Full Version : Nova, Wofford potentially in the way of potential Pitt vs Fla St opener

VUCats02
February 19th, 2013, 10:20 AM
As a biased Nova fan, I agree with the writer of this article. Stick it to Pitt! I don't care if it makes us look bad.

http://http://www.cardiachill.com/2013/2/18/3994498/pitt-vs-florida-state-labor-day-game-villanova-wildcats-football-pittsburgh-panthers

GlassOnion
February 19th, 2013, 10:26 AM
Link is not working...

ElCid
February 19th, 2013, 10:45 AM
Link is not working...

Just take out the extra "http://" and it works.

Interesting article. Not sure where I stand. Nova should probably relent but the devil is always in the details and they might be getting screwed.

GlassOnion
February 19th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Just take out the extra "http://" and it works.

Interesting article. Not sure where I stand. Nova should probably relent but the devil is always in the details and they might be getting screwed.

LOL, damn. One of them mornings...

citdog
February 19th, 2013, 10:53 AM
It sounds like woffy is willing to work with all involved but that 'Nova is attempting to stick it to pitt. WHO could blame them if they were. Revenge is SWEET!

Lehigh Football Nation
February 19th, 2013, 10:56 AM
http://www.cardiachill.com/2013/2/18/3994498/pitt-vs-florida-state-labor-day-game-villanova-wildcats-football-pittsburgh-panthers

Here's the deal, in case you've missed it. Florida State has a game with Wofford scheduled for that weekend while Pitt is slated to play Villanova. Wofford has been nothing but cooperative and believes the game can be moved.

However, Villanova may be the sticking point in it all. Per the Trip, their AD had this response recently:

"We haven't been able to find a resolution that isn't extremely complicated," Nicastro said. "We have had a number of discussions with the various parties (Pitt, ACC, ESPN, our football conference, the Colonial Athletic Association) to see if there was a reasonable way to shift the date."

Look, that's not a big surprise considering the whole Pitt leaving the Big East thing. An even bigger issue was Pitt's whole 'no to Nova' campaign back in 2011, that was widely reported. Simply put, Villanova just can't be all that friendly towards the Panthers in my mind. VUHoops even suggests the game might be canceled completely, even though I'm not necessarily sure I see that happening.

We'll see how this all plays out. Villanova has a good chance to stick it to Pitt here and if we're being honest, who could really blame them? I wouldn't, anyway. But with Wofford so quick to seemingly want to work this out, Nova risks looking a bit ridiculous. They will feel the brunt of the pressure from all of the groups the AD pointed out and if they're the only sticking point between a big matchup here, they'll definitely be attacked from all angles.

To be fair, Nova doesn't have a lot of room to maneuver:

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/fcs-information-center/conf-scheds-2013/caa-sched-2013

9/14 is the only other "open date" currently on Nova's schedule. Pitt hosts New Mexico on that day.

Villanova@Fordham is on 9/7. They could move it to 9/28 but they would have to knock out the Penn/Villanova rivalry game at Franklin Field.

They can't move it to 8/31 without some sort of Rhode Island/Fordham buyout since URI has no other openings. It's possible CCSU vs. URI could be bought out or moved to 8/31 - but then you involve James Madison, who has CCSU as their home opener.

A possible solution:

URI@Lehigh 8/31
Villanova@Fordham 8/31

Nova@Pitt 9/7
Fordham@Liberty 9/7

GlassOnion
February 19th, 2013, 11:01 AM
It sounds like woffy is willing to work with all involved but that 'Nova is attempting to stick it to pitt. WHO could blame them if they were. Revenge is SWEET!

I agree. Way for Pitt to reap what they sow, and then whine about it.

walliver
February 19th, 2013, 11:02 AM
The obvious solution, ESPN subsidizing a Wofford-Villanova game, is too logical (everybody gets paid and someone gets a win) and therefore won't happen.

If Villanova doesn't budge, Pitt (and possibly ESPN) will just pay out whatever amount of money is specified in the contract and the game is dropped. Villanova will need to at last pretend to be reasonable, or otherwise may have trouble scheduling future "money games".

Hopefully Wofford will work out a good deal from FSU. 2013 is our first all D-I schedule in several years, and I would hate for that to change.

GlassOnion
February 19th, 2013, 11:05 AM
The obvious solution, ESPN subsidizing a Wofford-Villanova game, is too logical (everybody gets paid and someone gets a win) and therefore won't happen.

If Villanova doesn't budge, Pitt (and possibly ESPN) will just pay out whatever amount of money is specified in the contract and the game is dropped. Villanova will need to at last pretend to be reasonable, or otherwise may have trouble scheduling future "money games".

Hopefully Wofford will work out a good deal from FSU. 2013 is our first all D-I schedule in several years, and I would hate for that to change.

Why does Nova have to give up an FBS game that is actually in THEIR state? This isnt just a money game, this is a bonus for their fans, and a recruiting tool. It has th added bonus of sticking it to a school that screwed them. Good for nova. I hope they get the game or the full buyout.

bjtheflamesfan
February 19th, 2013, 11:16 AM
http://www.cardiachill.com/2013/2/18/3994498/pitt-vs-florida-state-labor-day-game-villanova-wildcats-football-pittsburgh-panthers

To be fair, Nova doesn't have a lot of room to maneuver:

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/fcs-information-center/conf-scheds-2013/caa-sched-2013

9/14 is the only other "open date" currently on Nova's schedule. Pitt hosts New Mexico on that day.

Villanova@Fordham is on 9/7. They could move it to 9/28 but they would have to knock out the Penn/Villanova rivalry game at Franklin Field.

They can't move it to 8/31 without some sort of Rhode Island/Fordham buyout since URI has no other openings. It's possible CCSU vs. URI could be bought out or moved to 8/31 - but then you involve James Madison, who has CCSU as their home opener.

A possible solution:

URI@Lehigh 8/31
Villanova@Fordham 8/31

Nova@Pitt 9/7
Fordham@Liberty 9/7

Problem with this is that Liberty has Monmouth as the home opener on 9/7 so theyd have to work some sort of buyout of that game and Liberty would want to keep that date to get a matchup with the Hawks prior to their joining the Big South in 2014

Lehigh Football Nation
February 19th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Problem with this is that Liberty has Monmouth as the home opener on 9/7 so theyd have to work some sort of buyout of that game and Liberty would want to keep that date to get a matchup with the Hawks prior to their joining the Big South in 2014

Looking over Monmouth's OOC dates, it's funny, Liberty's open dates are squarely on the few committed games of Monmouth's vs. Lehigh (9/14), Columbia (9/28) and Cornell (10/19).

Fordham could play VMI. The Keydets host Glenville State on 9/7. Furthermore they have 2 D-II teams on the schedule. Trouble is either Fordham or VMI would have to give up a home game.

Or:

Liberty could go to Fordham on 9/7
Liberty could host Monmouth on 9/14 for home opener
Replacing Monmouth@Lehigh Lehigh could host VMI on 9/14 replacing D-II North Greenville game. However VMI would have to give up the extra home game.

bjtheflamesfan
February 19th, 2013, 12:10 PM
The Monmouth game was mentioned in the conference release announcing MU joining the Big South as an associate member for football (down at the end I think)

Lehigh Football Nation
February 19th, 2013, 12:17 PM
The Monmouth game was mentioned in the conference release announcing MU joining the Big South as an associate member for football (down at the end I think)

The Hawks will compete as an Independent in 2013 and will play at Liberty on Sept. 7.

Right on. I think this is just a lot easier if I replace Liberty with VMI...

HailSzczur
February 19th, 2013, 12:19 PM
I'm not really worried about this making us look bad. How many people are going to get upset with a FCS team trying to manipulate a BCS team? I mean come on it's quite comical. Imagine it in college basketball if a team like Robert Morris was blocking Pitt from hosting Duke or Kansas or UNC, everyone would think it was hysterical.

I really hope the game happens, I want us to have another go at Pitt after they barely squeaked out the win against Westbrook like 12 years ago. Plus Pittsburgh is a pretty good recruiting area to make an appearance in (ie Vetrone brothers as of late at Nova), and I don't want to lose that opportunity as well.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 19th, 2013, 12:21 PM
I've put out there my Lehigh/VMI/URI/Fordham/Villanova solution, so I've done everything I can do.

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2013/02/could-novapitt-hand-lehigh-12th-game.html

nwFL Griz
February 19th, 2013, 12:29 PM
Why not the simplest solution for everyone. Move the Pitt/Nova game to 11/16. How is that not discussed at all?

PaladinFan
February 19th, 2013, 12:43 PM
I'm not really worried about this making us look bad. How many people are going to get upset with a FCS team trying to manipulate a BCS team? I mean come on it's quite comical. Imagine it in college basketball if a team like Robert Morris was blocking Pitt from hosting Duke or Kansas or UNC, everyone would think it was hysterical.

I really hope the game happens, I want us to have another go at Pitt after they barely squeaked out the win against Westbrook like 12 years ago. Plus Pittsburgh is a pretty good recruiting area to make an appearance in (ie Vetrone brothers as of late at Nova), and I don't want to lose that opportunity as well.

I'd love another go at Pitt. It took dirty hits for four quarters and two overtimes to beat us the last time.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 19th, 2013, 12:51 PM
Why not the simplest solution for everyone. Move the Pitt/Nova game to 11/16. How is that not discussed at all?

I'm presuming Pitt has a conference game on that day, with Navy, New Mexico and Notre Dame on the schedule.

DFW HOYA
February 19th, 2013, 01:07 PM
Move Georgetown-Lehigh to 8/31.

henfan
February 19th, 2013, 01:09 PM
Absolutely hate 'Nova but they are in the right if they choose not to move the date for whatever reason... or no reason at all. A contract is a contract. According to the terms, Pitt presumably can exercise the buy-out option and be done with it. If an FSU opener is so important to them, then buy out 'Nova or shut the F up.

nwFL Griz
February 19th, 2013, 02:48 PM
I'm presuming Pitt has a conference game on that day, with Navy, New Mexico and Notre Dame on the schedule.

Since it is the ACC pushing this, I see no reason they couldn't accommodate Pitt on that date. They did it for us in 2011 when they moved the Maryland game to Labor Day.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 23rd, 2013, 04:16 PM
Nova is no longer in the way of Pitt/Florida State.

http://triblive.com/sports/college/pitt/3539595-74/pitt-game-acc#axzz2LkwqCHc9

The way has been cleared for Pitt to play its first ACC football game Labor Day night Sept. 2 against Florida State at Heinz Field, and the conference will make an official announcement Monday, a high-ranking college football source said Saturday.

The game will be televised by ESPN.

Pitt was scheduled to play Villanova on Aug. 31, but that game has been canceled.

Villanova has scheduled another game against an FBS opponent to replace Pitt this season. Florida State and Pitt officials declined comment, and an ACC official did not respond to phone calls and an email for comment.

With so few openings left, I think the FBS game in question might be Syracuse on 9/14.

kdinva
February 23rd, 2013, 05:48 PM
Talks out there now for a possible Wofford @ Baylor game on 8/31:

http://www.fbschedules.com/2013/02/florida-state-to-play-pittsburgh-on-labor-day-2013/

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-13/big-12/2013-baylor-bears-football-schedule.php

Now, another story has possibly 'Nova @ BC on 8/31, Stony Brook would then have a 1-A game @ Pitt on 10/19.......and FSU may seek another 1-AA team to host..

One intriguing hypothetical includes the ACC and CAA brokering a deal to swap out BC’s season opening game against Stony Brook for fellow CAA member Villanova. The CAA’s newest member, Stony Brook, could go to Pittsburgh later in the year, while BC could host Villanova to open the season on August 31. Stony Brook and Pitt have a shared open date later in the year on October 19 based on Stony Brook’s 2013 schedule, which appears to be out before the comically delayed ACC schedule.

Reign of Terrier
February 23rd, 2013, 06:01 PM
I would soooooo drop playing FSU to play Villanova.

11 winnable D1 games.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 23rd, 2013, 06:12 PM

11 winnable D1 games.

Personally I like Wofford playing Lehigh on 8/31... Lehigh still has an open date... but unlikely to happen.

Bisonoline
February 23rd, 2013, 06:30 PM

So whats the rub between the two schools?

cmaxwellgsu
February 23rd, 2013, 09:14 PM
Too bad Villanova didn't hold them to the game. The CAA probably has a winning record against the ACC....

VUCats02
February 23rd, 2013, 09:15 PM
Pitt was very vocal on keeping Nova out of the Big East for football a couple years ago when Nova was being considered by the Big East

DFW HOYA
February 23rd, 2013, 11:14 PM
Pitt was very vocal on keeping Nova out of the Big East for football a couple years ago when Nova was being considered by the Big East

More than vocal...Pitt tabled the vote on Villanova joining, then joined the ACC a week later.

HailSzczur
February 24th, 2013, 01:15 AM
The athletic department has supposedly already replaced the game on the schedule, they just are waiting to announce it. My guess is they were keeping Pitt on the ropes until they could find a plan B. I'm hearing 3 possibilities: 1. Cuse 2. Army 3. BC (involving a swap where we take Stony Brook's Labor Day weekend game with BC and Stony Brook plays Pitt later in the season)

HailSzczur
February 24th, 2013, 01:17 AM
More than vocal...Pitt tabled the vote on Villanova joining, then joined the ACC a week later.

Your student said it well against Pitt
http://georgetownstonewalls.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/traitors-and-liars.jpg?w=470&h=352

frozennorth
February 24th, 2013, 02:48 AM
The athletic department has supposedly already replaced the game on the schedule, they just are waiting to announce it. My guess is they were keeping Pitt on the ropes until they could find a plan B. I'm hearing 3 possibilities: 1. Cuse 2. Army 3. BC (involving a swap where we take Stony Brook's Labor Day weekend game with BC and Stony Brook plays Pitt later in the season)

calling the home-home w/ ndsu now.

tourguide
February 24th, 2013, 03:28 AM
any word on how much the game was suppose to pay and wut the buyout was?

Sandlapper Spike
February 24th, 2013, 11:06 AM

11 winnable D1 games.

If you got the FSU guarantee money anyway, sure.

walliver
February 24th, 2013, 01:06 PM
Apparently Wofford will be traveling to Baylor in September.

Nova09
February 25th, 2013, 09:42 AM
ODU just grabbed that Pitt Oct 19

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/02/odu-football-team-play-pittsburgh-2013

HailSzczur
February 25th, 2013, 12:26 PM
Nova takes SBU's opener with BC. The Nova BC rivalry resumes for the first time since dropping football in 1980
http://www.vuhoops.com/2013/2/25/4027888/villanova-football-will-open-against-former-rivals-boston-college

Lehigh Football Nation
February 25th, 2013, 12:35 PM
Let's hope Lehigh's AD is on the phone with Fiore right now.

I can see it now: "The Game That Should Have Been the 1st Round of the 2012 Playoffs"

HailSzczur
February 25th, 2013, 12:40 PM
Let's hope Lehigh's AD is on the phone with Fiore right now.

I can see it now: "The Game That Should Have Been the 1st Round of the 2012 Playoffs"

If you guys have the opening, it would be a great game. I'm hearing that SBU is likely to go out to Pitt later on in the season now though.

kdinva
February 25th, 2013, 12:55 PM
If you guys have the opening, it would be a great game. I'm hearing that SBU is likely to go out to Pitt later on in the season now though.

Won't be Pitt..........Pitt just got ODU for OOC game #4.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-13/big-east/2013-pittsburgh-panthers-football-schedule.php

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/02/odu-football-team-play-pittsburgh-2013

bluehenbillk
February 25th, 2013, 02:25 PM
'Nova fans, any news on your end on where the Delaware game may be played this fall? Earlier suggestions were PPL in Chester but everything I'm hearing lately is on-campus now....

HailSzczur
February 25th, 2013, 02:50 PM
'Nova fans, any news on your end on where the Delaware game may be played this fall? Earlier suggestions were PPL in Chester but everything I'm hearing lately is on-campus now....

Athletics just released the schedule this afternoon and it says Villanova not Chester, but everything I heard last year pointed towards the river. We'll see, wouldn't surprised me if it ends up at PPL

Seawolf97
February 25th, 2013, 07:45 PM
Boston College is off our schedule as of today. Word is a home opener against either Lehigh or a home and away against Sam Houston St. Both would be good games for sure. Villanove opens at BC 8/30.

HailSzczur
February 25th, 2013, 08:53 PM
Seeing some debate over our opener at BC. Nova released a schedule listing the game as Fri 8/30, while all the BC fans are claiming its Sat 8/31. My gut says the BC fans are probably right, seeing as we didn't even but the correct location, instead just listed Boston,MA.

Personally I hope it's Saturday, because there is no way I will be able to make it to Boston for a 7:00pm kickoff leaving after class is over

nwFL Griz
February 26th, 2013, 07:46 AM
Seeing some debate over our opener at BC. Nova released a schedule listing the game as Fri 8/30, while all the BC fans are claiming its Sat 8/31. My gut says the BC fans are probably right, seeing as we didn't even but the correct location, instead just listed Boston,MA.

Personally I hope it's Saturday, because there is no way I will be able to make it to Boston for a 7:00pm kickoff leaving after class is over

Not just the BC fans saying its on 8/31, the ACC and BC itself saying it:

http://www.bceagles.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/022513aab.html

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/acc/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2013-14/misc_non_event/13accfbteamschedule.pdf

Ivytalk
February 27th, 2013, 05:50 AM
Why does Nova have to give up an FBS game that is actually in THEIR state? This isnt just a money game, this is a bonus for their fans, and a recruiting tool. It has th added bonus of sticking it to a school that screwed them. Good for nova. I hope they get the game or the full buyout.

I agree. Pitt has been a poster child for FB mediocrity for years, and they get what they deserve.

Bossanova
March 1st, 2013, 09:12 PM
Heard the Union jacked up rent for PPL Park and since Nova is not going 1A, annual hen beat down will be at VU.

ngineer
March 2nd, 2013, 04:44 PM
In the immortal words of a Penn State fan I know, "****t on Pitt"....(;-)

GannonFan
March 3rd, 2013, 11:36 PM
Heard the Union jacked up rent for PPL Park and since Nova is not going 1A, annual hen beat down will be at VU.

Well, seeing how UD is undefeated against nova at PPL, that might be a good thing for nova.

VUCats02
March 13th, 2013, 11:21 PM
Well, seeing how UD is undefeated against nova at PPL, that might be a good thing for nova.

Seeing that Delaware has beaten Nova 1 time in the last 7 years doesn't bode well for Delaware that Nova is staying in the CAA.

Go...gate
March 13th, 2013, 11:25 PM
Seeing that Delaware has beaten Nova 1 time in the last 7 years doesn't bode well for Delaware that Nova is staying in the CAA.

Patriot League take note....

Bossanova
March 28th, 2013, 01:28 PM
Not only 1 time in the last 7 years, but only 5 times in the past 17 years has Nova lost to UD.

GannonFan
March 28th, 2013, 03:55 PM
Not only 1 time in the last 7 years, but only 5 times in the past 17 years has Nova lost to UD.

Yeah, we'll need to catch up before you guys close down the football program for the second and last time in a few years. Talley's looking chipper, though, and they'll wait till he retires or dies before they drop football for good. Still some time.

Bossanova
March 30th, 2013, 12:36 PM
You probably have at least another 5 years of getting your asses handed to you before that happens, so sit back and enjoy the ride, GannonFan.

GannonFan
April 1st, 2013, 12:58 PM
You probably have at least another 5 years of getting your asses handed to you before that happens, so sit back and enjoy the ride, GannonFan.

Eh, I'm at the stage of my life when I'm more interested in my kids than the college team I follow. By the time my kids have grown up and I start paying attention again, nova will have already dropped the program and those games will be a stat in the media guide. It's like the proverbial tree falling in the woods. xpeacex