PDA

View Full Version : Pete's Preseason Power Poll is Out

Pete's Weekly
August 29th, 2006, 07:30 AM
Just a "hello" for 2006 football is almost here. Pete's will again be back in business for those that care to follow. Our preseason poll is out, we have a conference listing this year. Our schedule strength ratings are also out. The first week is always kind of boring (in terms of matches), but we will have our preview out today & as always, you can pick your winners and losers. The conference power poll will not begin until after the first week.

Pete's Weekly and Power Poll (http://petespoll.com)

TexasTerror
August 29th, 2006, 07:35 AM
Pete...we're ahead of you. Already been discussing your poll! Thanks for the insight into the I-AA world...

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12661

Andy
August 29th, 2006, 08:16 AM
Hey Pete, just to fill you in....Lafayette beat Lehigh three of the last four years. Lafayette played App St quite respectably in the playoffs last year. Lafayette is picked second in the conference coach's poll. Given your criteria:

"Remember that the rules applied in the preseason poll are not in place during the season. The preseason poll is based on a team's 2005 final ranking, returning players, coaching changes, coaches polls, and many other items including individual opinion. Once the season begins ... the poll is based strictly on performance."

...Lehigh #8, Lafayette a no show? What gives?

Pard4Life
August 29th, 2006, 08:25 AM
Hey Pete, just to fill you in....Lafayette beat Lehigh three of the last four years. Lafayette played App St quite respectively in the playoffs last year. Lafayette is picked second in the conference coach's poll. Given your criteria:

"Remember that the rules applied in the preseason poll are not in place during the season. The preseason poll is based on a team's 2005 final ranking, returning players, coaching changes, coaches polls, and many other items including individual opinion. Once the season begins ... the poll is based strictly on performance."

Eh, I'd rather be mentioned by a major poll and we are knocking on the door at 26, 27... a loss by a 20-25 team will bump us up if we can do our part their first two games. Penn is the first major test to see if we are deserving...

McNeese72
August 29th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Just a "hello" for 2006 football is almost here. Pete's will again be back in business for those that care to follow. Our preseason poll is out, we have a conference listing this year. Our schedule strength ratings are also out. The first week is always kind of boring (in terms of matches), but we will have our preview out today & as always, you can pick your winners and losers. The conference power poll will not begin until after the first week.

Pete's Weekly and Power Poll (http://petespoll.com)

I think your link for the 2006 Southland schedule rankings needs to be fixed. When you click on it, it brings up the 2005 stuff.

Doc

Lafalumni29
August 29th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Hey Pete, just to fill you in....Lafayette beat Lehigh three of the last four years. Lafayette played App St quite respectably in the playoffs last year. Lafayette is picked second in the conference coach's poll. Given your criteria:

From his site:
"The preseason poll is based on a team's 2005 final ranking, returning players, coaching changes, coaches polls, and many other items including individual opinion."

Obviously, his individual opinion is the ONLY factor in determining this ranking which then disqualifies it as a "poll". Based on every other factor Colgate should lead the PL in any Preseason poll followed by a with LC a close second. He should take the word poll out of the title.

TexasTerror
August 29th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Obviously, his individual opinion is the ONLY factor in determining this ranking which then disqualifies it as a "poll".

Don't tell 'Pete' that...:nono:

Retro
August 29th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Who did you poll for this poll????:read:

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 29th, 2006, 01:23 PM

I think he bases a lot of the rankings on how the teams will end up based on schedule and such. When you look at the schedules for both Lafayette and Lehigh, the Pards have the tougher schedule. Based on Lehigh's schedule and looking a trends recently, Lehigh is more likely to go 9-2 10-1 than Lafayette. That is my guesstamate on his rankings.

A know you love to boost some superiority over Lehigh but Lehigh has beaten Colgate the last two years. The Pards haven't beaten Colgate in a decade. Things are pretty relative.

August 29th, 2006, 01:23 PM
He calls it a poll because it sounds better with Pete's Power...

DUPFLFan
August 29th, 2006, 01:24 PM
"Pete's follows only the play-off conferences and teams. We do not track the SWAC, Ivy, and mid-major conferences and their members."

Gee, Pete, according to Ralph, the mid majors conferences are eligible for the playoffs... aren't they?

Cap'n Cat
August 29th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Dear Ralph,
I asked this last year and I got pummeled for daring to ask, but, again:

If Any Given Saturday policy is to have only one username, why does Pete get two? I mean, ya know, it is just one person.

Thanks for your cat-sideration,

Cap'n Cat

:p :mad: :p :mad:

dbackjon
August 29th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Dear Ralph,
I asked this last year and I got pummeled for daring to ask, but, again:

If Any Given Saturday policy is to have only one username, why does Pete get two? I mean, ya know, it is just one person.

Thanks for your cat-sideration,

Cap'n Cat

:p :mad: :p :mad:

Hmm - is Ralph cat-napping?

Tod
August 29th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Hmm - is Ralph cat-napping?

Is Cap'n Cat Ralphing?

Andy
August 29th, 2006, 02:15 PM
I think he bases a lot of the rankings on how the teams will end up based on schedule and such. When you look at the schedules for both Lafayette and Lehigh, the Pards have the tougher schedule. Based on Lehigh's schedule and looking a trends recently, Lehigh is more likely to go 9-2 10-1 than Lafayette. That is my guesstamate on his rankings.

A know you love to boost some superiority over Lehigh but Lehigh has beaten Colgate the last two years. The Pards haven't beaten Colgate in a decade. Things are pretty relative.

Owl, Pete goes out of his way to explain that his pre-season poll is based on a lot of factors from last year. Last year LC beat LU, were ranked well ahead of them at season's end and went to the playoffs. He says he takes coaching changes into account--LC's coaching staff has been stable, LU has had flux. Based on HIS parameters, it seems to me that LC and Gate should start off higher ranked, that's all. As the season unfolds his poll reflects different factors in his effort to predict playoff participation as I understand it.

Grizo406
August 29th, 2006, 02:25 PM
He calls it a poll because it sounds better with Pete's Power...

Not sure "Pete's Poll" would sound right.

McNeese72
August 29th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Not sure "Pete's Poll" would sound right.

It should be called "rankings" instead of a "poll" because there is no polling involved.

Doc

Pete's Weekly
August 29th, 2006, 03:34 PM
I think your link for the 2006 Southland schedule rankings needs to be fixed. When you click on it, it brings up the 2005 stuff.

Doc

Thanks for the help McNeese ...it is fixed now.

Pete's Weekly
August 29th, 2006, 03:42 PM
"Pete's follows only the play-off conferences and teams. We do not track the SWAC, Ivy, and mid-major conferences and their members."

Gee, Pete, according to Ralph, the mid majors conferences are eligible for the playoffs... aren't they?

Thanks for pointing out that slip Fan, we do cover that in the first paragraph & should repeat it in the list.

Read the first paragraph:

"Pete's means no disrespect to the Ivy, SWAC, or Mid-major programs ... we merely chose to rank those clubs that are eligible for, and historically have participated in, the tournament. The SWAC and Ivy have chosen not to participate in the play-off, and even though they are eligible, there has never been a mid-major club selected for the play-off."

UAalum72
August 29th, 2006, 07:40 PM
But even though they are eligible, no team from the Big South has ever been selected to the playoffs either, so why are THEY included but the mid-majors not?

LBPop
August 29th, 2006, 07:42 PM
Is Cap'n Cat Ralphing?
xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

I would suspect the answer is usually, yes.

TexasTerror
August 29th, 2006, 10:22 PM
But even though they are eligible, no team from the Big South has ever been selected to the playoffs either, so why are THEY included but the mid-majors not?

Dare I say, East Coast Bias???

Pete is bias to everyone else, so maybe not...he is an equal opprotunity offender...

UAalum72
August 29th, 2006, 11:55 PM
Dare I say, East Coast Bias???

Since 15 of the 21 'mid-majors' are in Eastern seaboard states, and I think 19 of the 21 are east of Chicago, I think you're just showing red-state paranoia there.

Mr. C
August 30th, 2006, 12:51 AM
Who did you poll for this poll????:read:
Maybe Pete suffers from a multiple personality disorder and he polls all of those various split personalities to come up with his poll. That would explain a lot, wouldn't it? :D xlolx :nod: :rotateh:

Anybody ever read the novel Cybil, or see the movie potrayal by Sally Field?

Lafalumni29
August 30th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Thanks for pointing out that slip Fan, we do cover that in the first paragraph & should repeat it in the list.

Read the first paragraph:

"Pete's means no disrespect to the Ivy, SWAC, or Mid-major programs ... we merely chose to rank those clubs that are eligible for, and historically have participated in, the tournament. The SWAC and Ivy have chosen not to participate in the play-off, and even though they are eligible, there has never been a mid-major club selected for the play-off."
Come on Pete, who are you kidding with the "we" stuff. If there is more than one person that is involved in these rankings than you should at least disclose their qualifications. I think your poll would gain much more respect from this community. Even if it's fans, then say so. If it's just you, then say so.