PDA

View Full Version : B10 no longer scheduling FCS teams

clenz
February 12th, 2013, 08:00 PM
According to reports, Wisconsin AD, Barry Alverez, the Big 10 is starting the trend that many FCS athletic directors have feared would be coming - no longer scheduling FCS teams.

No word on when the takes place, I'd assume after this year if there are any FCS games on the schedule for the teams, and they will be working to get future FCS games replaced with SBC/MAC/CUSA teams.

Not good news for the FCS...I would bet that more conferences start to follow suit shortly.

The signed contract between UNI and Iowa for 2018 is likely as good as gone....and I'd bet that the 2014 game is likely gone as well.

Laker
February 12th, 2013, 08:07 PM
This is just another example of the big boys trying to freeze out the little boys. Say what you will- they still show highlights of App State beating Michigan. The big boys don't like seeing that.

Professor Chaos
February 12th, 2013, 08:12 PM
I love the irony in Alvarez's reasoning. "It's not appealing for fans" he says. Neither is losing in the Rose Bowl 3 straight years. Neither is losing 5 of 7 bowl games this year. And neither is losing 6 straight BCS bowl games from 2007-2009.

Mostly, this bugs me because I loved watching NDSU beat the Goophers twice and I really wanted to see Wisconsin or Nebraska play the Bison. NDSU also had Iowa scheduled in 2016, I would hope that they can still honor those contracts if they want to but, if not, hopefully the buy-outs are hefty.

clenz
February 12th, 2013, 08:15 PM
I love the irony in Alvarez's reasoning. "It's not appealing for fans" he says. Neither is losing in the Rose Bowl 3 straight years. Neither is losing 5 of 7 bowl games this year. And neither is losing 6 straight BCS bowl games from 2007-2009.

Mostly, this bugs me because I loved watching NDSU beat the Goophers twice and I really wanted to see Wisconsin or Nebraska play the Bison. NDSU also had Iowa scheduled in 2016, I would hope that they can still honor those contracts if they want to but, if not, hopefully the buy-outs are hefty.UNI/Iowa is likely the last FCS game Iowa will play....if even that.

The games against NDSU in 16 and UNI in 18 are almost guaranteed not to happen.

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 12th, 2013, 08:44 PM
Not good for some of the cash strapped programs in the MVFC.

I applaud the B10 if this holds. I'm not a big fan of these "paycheck" games.

Saint3333
February 12th, 2013, 08:45 PM
App @ UM will happen they will want blood.

MarkyMark
February 12th, 2013, 09:23 PM
UNI/Iowa is likely the last FCS game Iowa will play....if even that.

The games against NDSU in 16 and UNI in 18 are almost guaranteed not to happen.

I would assume that previously scheduled games will still happen. We just had an update this week on our scheduled game with Iowa in 16. MN booked SDSU for 3 games recently, I am guessing they wanted to get these on the schedule before the change takes affect.

Bisonoline
February 12th, 2013, 09:32 PM

Mostly, this bugs me because I loved watching NDSU beat the Goophers twice and I really wanted to see Wisconsin or Nebraska play the Bison. NDSU also had Iowa scheduled in 2016, I would hope that they can still honor those contracts if they want to but, if not, hopefully the buy-outs are hefty.

Lack of Fan interest in lower division teams I can understand considering what you pay for tickets to a Big Ten game.

Bisonoline
February 12th, 2013, 09:33 PM
I would assume that previously scheduled games will still happen. We just had an update this week on our scheduled game with Iowa in 16. MN booked SDSU for 3 games recently, I am guessing they wanted to get these on the schedule before the change takes affect.

I wouldnt assume anything.

superman7515
February 12th, 2013, 10:24 PM
http://tracking.si.com/2013/02/13/big-ten-to-no-longer-schedule-fcs-opponents/

The Big Ten Conference agreed to no longer schedule nonconference games against teams from the Football Championship Subdivision, reports the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez made the announcement on his monthly radio show Tuesday night. No official word from the conference has been made public.

According to Alvarez, Big Ten officials recently agreed to the measure. Wisconsin is set to face FCS opponent Tennessee Tech on Sept. 7 and is the only FCS opponent on their schedule. It was reported in August that Michigan will face Appalachian State in September 2014. Michigan was beaten by Appalachian State 34-32 to open the 2007 season in one college football’s biggest upsets ever.

“The nonconference schedule in our league is ridiculous,” Alvarez said on radio station WIBA-AM. “It’s not very appealing…So we’ve made an agreement that our future games will all be Division I schools. It will not be FCS schools.”

RichH2
February 12th, 2013, 10:28 PM
Just the continuation of the BCS separation evolution. The process has been ongoing for decades. Eventually , there will be virtually no contact w the NCAA. Starting in Bball w attempts to limit teams in March Madness. No one s/b surprised.

Bisonoline
February 12th, 2013, 10:30 PM
Just the continuation of the BCS separation evolution. The process has been ongoing for decades. Eventually , there will be virtually no contact w the NCAA. Starting in Bball w attempts to limit teams in March Madness. No one s/b surprised.

Nothing but a money grab. Has been since they started the bowl system many years ago.

Model Citizen
February 12th, 2013, 10:31 PM
Would people here feel the same if FCS decided not to schedule D-II?

Bisonoline
February 12th, 2013, 11:45 PM
Would people here feel the same if FCS decided not to schedule D-II?

Nobody schedules D2 unless they absolutely have to so your question doesnt make sense.

bonarae
February 13th, 2013, 01:32 AM
xsmhx

Will this and other similar decisions among the other FBS conferences force us to schedule more FCS-FCS and FCS-DII, FCS-DIII and FCS-NAIA teams? And maybe the Ivies will be forced to go NESCAC-style scheduling? xbawlingx

ITmonarch10
February 13th, 2013, 03:17 AM
Nobody schedules D2 unless they absolutely have to so your question doesnt make sense.

I think his question would make more since if FCS allowed 1 D2 game to count towards the playoffs. Since they don't allow that, I think some Big Sky/Southland fans would welcome a D2 schedule ban ,so they don't get screwed out the playoffs.
Also, Delaware played Division 2 West Chester like every year since 1968 mostly to continue a one-sided rivalry ,and it did keep them out the playoffs last year helping my point.

ElCid
February 13th, 2013, 04:47 AM
Realizing that it is a slightly different world than in years past, I still do not believe this will necessarily spread to all FBS conferences. When did the Big 10 first begin to schedule FCS games anyway. Answer: alot later than everyone else. I think they did not really begin to schedule them in earnest until 2004? 2005? 2006?. There were odd games prior to that but not on the scale of the ACC, SEC, or to a lesser extent, Big East. Same applies to the PAC-10/12. They had odd games but the numbers ramped up only recently (in the mid 2000s). I was actually very excited The Citadel got a couple of these games in '07 (Wisconsin) and in '10 (Arizona). Those conferences were usually not FCS players. The Big Ten had always been content to play the MAC whipping boys to pad their Ws. I guess they are content to go back to that historic schedule. And the Big Ten scheduling good FCS teams (think N Iowa, NDSU, APP St) is a dangerous proposition.

Since the Big Ten SOS needs all the help it can get lately, I think this is merely an attempt to stop the bleeding in that department and prevent an image problem associated with a loss. Playing the worst SunBelt team is still way better than playing a Savannah St for SoS. I certainly hope this is not a trend that will spread throughout the BCS Cabal.

walliver
February 13th, 2013, 06:18 AM
The real motivation is media money. SEC teams scheduling FCS and mid-major FBS teams still fill their stadia, sell concessions and make lots of money. The same applies for the top half of the ACC. And I doubt there are beaucoups of empty seats at B1G games vs FCS opponents. Unfortunately, these FCS games don't generate a lot of media interest or media money.

Long term, you won't see B1G teams playing SBC, CUSA, or MAC teams either for similar reasons.

Babar
February 13th, 2013, 06:33 AM
xsmhx

Will this and other similar decisions among the other FBS conferences force us to schedule more FCS-FCS and FCS-DII, FCS-DIII and FCS-NAIA teams? And maybe the Ivies will be forced to go NESCAC-style scheduling? xbawlingx

I think the Ivies are the least affected conference, here, since we never play up anyway.

Though this does destroy my hopes of Princeton-Nebraska.

jub1982
February 13th, 2013, 06:40 AM
This is another example of Big 10 arrogance. They'll play the "we don't play lower competition" card as an arguement for their superiority, but will be 2-6 in bowl games and have a losing record against other BCS conference teams during regular season games. The only conference that I think may follow is the PAC-12.

Babar
February 13th, 2013, 06:54 AM
This is another example of Big 10 arrogance. They'll play the "we don't play lower competition" card as an arguement for their superiority, but will be 2-6 in bowl games and have a losing record against other BCS conference teams during regular season games. The only conference that I think may follow is the PAC-12.

I think you could also make an argument that they just need another in-conference game (they're moving from an 8 to a 9 or 10 game schedule), and the FCS OOC games are the most logical to drop.

BisonHype!
February 13th, 2013, 06:57 AM
This just pisses me off reading this. What the real problem is, they go into these games and think it is going to be a cupcake, and every once in a while get upset. I get it that it probably means more for the FCS school then the Big 10 school, and wrecks someones ranking. What he is really saying is it doesn't pay to lose that every once in a while because it is embarassing as a conference. The reason it has been embarassing, is they have been dropping some games, because FCS Teams that are at the top are getting better at competing with these teams. N. Iowa had a chance at getting Wisconsin last year. I am sure that had Alvarez sweating. It really sucks for those top FCS teams that can compete, and the wallets of those universities. That is a big payday lost.

Go Green
February 13th, 2013, 06:57 AM
xsmhx

If the Ivies have issues scheduling other FCS teams, it will be because we don't want to play them. Not because they don't want to play us.

nwFL Griz
February 13th, 2013, 06:59 AM
Another factor to this that isn't being discussed is that the B1G is moving to a nine or ten conference game schedule. Ten conference games...wow. Easy to fill two games without having to go the FCS route.

ElCid
February 13th, 2013, 07:16 AM
I think the Ivies are the least affected conference, here, since we never play up anyway.

That would be seriously cool. Imagine the hype and publicity that could be generated over a game of that nature.xnodx

FCS_pwns_FBS
February 13th, 2013, 07:49 AM
Let's be real, your average college football fan can't name any non-BCS FBS conferences or correctly name the four classifications for NCAA football. Fans of major BCS programs aren't going to be more excited about playing an Akron or Eastern Michigan than they are a GSU or NDSU. If FCS teams could count one sub-DI game for playoff purposes do you think casual fans of major FCS schools would really care that one non-conference schedule slot was changed from a mid-level D-II to a PFL team?

The real reason the Big 10 would want to stop the FCS games is obvious to me. They have gotten embarassed by FCS teams more than any other BCS conference. Not just by getting beat (sometimes badly) but also in the countless scares that they have gotten. See Wisconsin versus Cal Poly and The Citadel. See UNI very nearly beating Iowa the year they won the Orange Bowl. See UMass very nearly knocking off Michigan. The Big 10 knows with this quasi-playoff starting this year their top team could be on the bubble with SEC and Pac-12 teams getting in first. No need to do anything that would ruin their computer rankings.

If GSU doesn't get an FBS invite I'm not the least bit worried about losing our FBS money games. The SEC has gotten very FCS-phillic in scheduling, and as long as FCS games continue making a lot of financial sense and the SEC continues to dominate and not suck like the Big 10 I don't see that changing.

cmaxwellgsu
February 13th, 2013, 07:54 AM
What's laughable is that it's Wisconsin leading the charge. I remember them having this arrogant attitude about playing a non-BCS team in TCU in the Rose Bowl, and then getting beaten by a superior team. I'm sure most of this comes from their inability to blow out FCS teams, and the bottom of their conference getting manhandled by some FCS teams.

NoDak 4 Ever
February 13th, 2013, 07:57 AM
Not good for some of the cash strapped programs in the MVFC.

I applaud the B10 if this holds. I'm not a big fan of these "paycheck" games.

You may once those athletic scholarships need to start getting paid.

darell1976
February 13th, 2013, 08:58 AM
Here is my two cents on this:

#1. I hate Barry Alverez. He forced Minnesota into creating a Big Ten Hockey Conference and changing college hockey (for the better we will find out).
#2. If the Big 10 does this will all FBS teams follow this therefore creating a scheduling problem for FCS teams (especially those needing money).

If this ban does include all FBS teams I think as far as UND goes we will see more games probably with MVFC teams since they are close to Grand Forks, and will be cheap. As far as teams like Eastern Washington the closest non conference game (besides maybe another Big Sky team) is probably NDSU or a TX team (I didn't check the miles). So unless the NCAA allows scheduling DII teams to count for the playoffs this may either kick start a whole lot of teams into the FBS or if teams have a lot of trouble scheduling, limit the number of teams in the playoffs (since DII teams don't count). Its sad, I was hoping for a UND-Minnesota matchup.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 13th, 2013, 09:03 AM
The B1G will now replacing $350,000 guarantee games against Northern Iowa with a $500,000 guarantee games against Eastern Michigan. It is their prerogative to do so. They will spend more money for games no less compelling than FCS vs. FBS matchups that will not help their strength of schedule and will get them no more ready for the plus-one playoff.

The "ban" will be dead in five years. Illinois, Northwestern and Indiana will be leading the charge.

superman7515
February 13th, 2013, 09:20 AM
The "ban" will be dead in five years. Illinois, Northwestern and Indiana will be leading the charge.

One month Lehigh vs Delaware avatar bet?

bluehenbillk
February 13th, 2013, 09:22 AM
You guys are missing the boat here, it's the playoff that is driving this. With only 4 teams in it until the mid-2020's schedule strength will be huge for every school or league not in the SEC. UD's Pitt game next fall will most likely be the Hens' last BCS game.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 13th, 2013, 09:28 AM
You guys are missing the boat here, it's the playoff that is driving this. With only 4 teams in it until the mid-2020's schedule strength will be huge for every school or league not in the SEC. UD's Pitt game next fall will most likely be the Hens' last BCS game.

Switching UNI for Eastern Michigan will not magically give "schedule strength" to the B1G, which is the net effect of the "ban". Illinois, Indiana and Northwestern (you could throw Minnesota in there as well) will suddenly be spending more money for essentially the same guarantee games as before, which is why they'll be leading the charge out of this senseless ban.

Oh, wait, Maryland and Rutgers will now give the B1G all the schedule strength they need. Forget I said anything. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

asumike83
February 13th, 2013, 09:29 AM
I'd expect the SEC and Big XII to keep playing FCS opponents, as their conference schedule will usually give them the SOS needed to make it if they run the table. It is not the end of FCS/FBS match-ups by any stretch, as I can't imagine the Big East, C-USA, MAC, Sun Belt, etc. will give up the opportunity to help their bowl chances. The only way the games will stop all together is if the NCAA deems that they no longer count toward bowl eligibility.

As much as I want to head to the Big House in 2014, I wouldn't be heart-broken if Michigan cut us a nice check to keep our 1-0 record intact. Don't see it happening though. Like Saint said, those boys want blood.

Apphole
February 13th, 2013, 09:29 AM
http://i.imgur.com/g6oaNP7.jpg

superman7515
February 13th, 2013, 09:31 AM
The only way the games will stop all together is if the NCAA deems that they no longer count toward bowl eligibility.

Yeah, but remember it was only in the last month or two that Delany said that's exactly what he's hoping for.

AmsterBison
February 13th, 2013, 09:32 AM
Makes the MAC a little more attractive.

citdog
February 13th, 2013, 09:35 AM
http://i.imgur.com/g6oaNP7.jpg

https://www.steps.org.au/img/products/High-Enema-Kit-Travel-Douche.jpg

The Eagle's Cliff
February 13th, 2013, 09:52 AM
Makes the MAC a little more attractive.

This kind of stuff is why I joined the "move-to-FBS" crowd a few years ago. While there is little difference between the Group of 5 schools and the Top 30 in FCS, the cliquish nature of FBS AD's, media marketing, and indifference of the NCAA make the FCS brand irrelevant.

To me, moving to FBS is necessary just to stay in Tier 2 of Division I Football. The irony is that while I-AA was created to accommodate cash-strapped DI football, the classification of I-AA/FCS hurts the marketability and D1 legitimacy of many schools in the subclass. Privates and State U's in small-population states aren't as affected.

asumike83
February 13th, 2013, 09:58 AM
Yeah, but remember it was only in the last month or two that Delany said that's exactly what he's hoping for.

I do remember that now that you mention it, do you know whether his suggestion has got the backing of other schools/conferences?

If that comes to pass, it would be a big blow to the FCS, particularly the schools struggling to fund their football programs. A lot of places count on those paychecks to keep their heads above water (see Savannah State 2012).

citdog
February 13th, 2013, 10:07 AM
This kind of stuff is why I joined the "move-to-FBS" crowd a few years ago. While there is little difference between the Group of 5 schools and the Top 30 in FCS, the cliquish nature of FBS AD's, media marketing, and indifference of the NCAA make the FCS brand irrelevant.

To me, moving to FBS is necessary just to stay in Tier 2 of Division I Football. The irony is that while I-AA was created to accommodate cash-strapped DI football, the classification of I-AA/FCS hurts the marketability and D1 legitimacy of many schools in the subclass. Privates and State U's in small-population states aren't as affected.

how's that working out for you cliffy? ANYBODY invited you to join?

NO.....

the FCS isn't irrelevent because you say so.

PRETTY sure the Title Game was a complete sellout the last two years and the TV Ratings were not much different than the godaddy.com bowl which you and the schmeckle nuzzlers in boone seem to think matters.

asumike83
February 13th, 2013, 10:17 AM
PRETTY sure the Title Game was a complete sellout the last two years and the TV Ratings were not much different than the godaddy.com bowl which you and the schmeckle nuzzlers in boone seem to think matters.

The fact that TV ratings for the National Championship were lower than the GoDaddy.com bowl doesn't really help your case. Nearly double (0.7 to 1.3) is 'not much different'?

We are all at the mercy of TV networks when it comes to getting exposure and they have NO interest in promoting the FCS. Look at January 5, 2013. The FCS title game and the BBVA Compass Bowl kicked off at the same time. Compass Bowl got ESPN (1.9 rating), FCS title game got stuck on ESPN2.

It has been a great atmosphere in Frisco the last couple years, stadium looked great on TV. However, attendance was 13K the first year in Frisco. Next time the game does not involve one of the top traveling fan bases in the FCS, it will be around that level again.

NoDak 4 Ever
February 13th, 2013, 10:25 AM
It all boils down to this. FBS likes to portray FCS as a total **** show but it's the other way around. If you are not in the BCS the best you can hope for is an insignificant extra bowl game. The bowl system has become so watered down in the last 20 years. It used to be that you could watch really great games on New Years Day. Now it's pretty much 3 a week until the end of December. That is stupid any way you slice it.

There is a ton of excitement in FCS, mostly because there are a ton of teams that have a good shot of making the playoffs each year. You are not boxed out before day 1.

As was said earlier, you better believe Indiana and Illinois will be breaking this covenant within 5 years.

cmaxwellgsu
February 13th, 2013, 10:26 AM
Here is my two cents on this:

#1. I hate Barry Alverez. He forced Minnesota into creating a Big Ten Hockey Conference and changing college hockey (for the better we will find out).
#2. If the Big 10 does this will all FBS teams follow this therefore creating a scheduling problem for FCS teams (especially those needing money).

If this ban does include all FBS teams I think as far as UND goes we will see more games probably with MVFC teams since they are close to Grand Forks, and will be cheap. As far as teams like Eastern Washington the closest non conference game (besides maybe another Big Sky team) is probably NDSU or a TX team (I didn't check the miles). So unless the NCAA allows scheduling DII teams to count for the playoffs this may either kick start a whole lot of teams into the FBS or if teams have a lot of trouble scheduling, limit the number of teams in the playoffs (since DII teams don't count). Its sad, I was hoping for a UND-Minnesota matchup.

Doubt No. 2 happens. The Big Ten has fallen behind competitively and in perception, and the other big boys are pretty content with where they are. As long as the SEC, Big 12, and Pac 12 have a pretty wide gap between themselves and the Big Ten they'll keep the FCS games. I think the midwestern FCS teams are the only ones who suffer because of this.

ysubigred
February 13th, 2013, 10:36 AM
As of right now.... YSU's 2014 game with IL is still a go because of a signed contract.. It's probably a case by case basis in for 2014 if there's no signed deal?

DFW HOYA
February 13th, 2013, 10:40 AM
It all boils down to this. FBS likes to portray FCS as a total **** show but it's the other way around. If you are not in the BCS the best you can hope for is an insignificant extra bowl game...There is a ton of excitement in FCS, mostly because there are a ton of teams that have a good shot of making the playoffs each year. You are not boxed out before day 1.

A ton? Half the subdivision is off the playoff board by the end of September, incl. the SWAC and Ivy entrants.

eaglewraith
February 13th, 2013, 10:42 AM
As of right now.... YSU's 2014 game with IL is still a go because of a signed contract.. It's probably a case by case basis in for 2014 if there's no signed deal?

All games contain a buyout clause.

NoDak 4 Ever
February 13th, 2013, 10:44 AM
A ton? Half the subdivision is off the playoff board by the end of September, incl. the SWAC and Ivy entrants.

That is by institutional choice, not by systemic segregation.

eaglewraith
February 13th, 2013, 10:53 AM
That is by institutional choice, not by systemic segregation.

In true reality, how many teams have a likely shot at the title each year?

Professor Chaos
February 13th, 2013, 10:58 AM
False. Far more than half of the teams in the conferences willing to participate in the playoffs are still capable of winning their league at the end of September. Last year both Colgate and Wagner were 2-3 when the calendar hit 10/1 yet both still made the playoffs.

NoDak 4 Ever
February 13th, 2013, 10:59 AM
In true reality, how many teams have a likely shot at the title each year?

I would contend that Colgate and McNeese in the last 10 years making appearances in the championship game are evidence of the broad opportunities for schools that simply doesn't exist in the BCS

DFW HOYA
February 13th, 2013, 11:05 AM
False. Far more than half of the teams in the conferences willing to participate in the playoffs are still capable of winning their league at the end of September. Last year both Colgate and Wagner were 2-3 when the calendar hit 10/1 yet both still made the playoffs.

I was referring to it in a practical sense, not by specific teams.

Marcus Garvey
February 13th, 2013, 11:06 AM
There's a good reason behind this. It's not because they're arrogant. It's not because they want to deliberately screw over I-AA teams. It's because their strength of schedule in recent years has been weak. The conference in recent years has been top heavy with two, maybe three strong teams. Another 6-7 are "middle tier" (an admittedly wide tier) with the Indiana/Illinois/Minnesota trifecta bringing the suck. They need to start playing better OOC competition, particularly BCS teams, if they want a shot at the BCS or AP championship. For example, in 2012, the following OOC games were played:
Illinois: W. Michigan, Arizona St., Charleston Southern, La. Tech
Indiana: Indiana St., Ball St., UMass, Navy
Iowa: N. Illinois, Iowa St., N. Iowa, Central Michigan
Michigan: 'Bama, Air Force, Notre Dame, UMass
Mich. St.: Boise St., Cent. Mich., Notre Dame, E. Mich.
Minnesota: UNLV, UNH, W. Mich., Syracuse
Nebraska: Southern Miss., UCLA, Ark. St., Idaho St.
N'western: Syracuse, Vandy, BC, S. Dakota
Ohio St.: Miami (OH), UCF, Cal, UAB
Penn St.: Ohio, UVA, Navy, Temple
Purdue: EKU, Notre Dame, E. Mich., Marshall
Wisconsin: UNI, Oregon St., Utah St., UTEP

Pretty much only Michigan is trying. The Big 10 is not the SEC and therefore needs a stronger OOC schedule. Stopping the FCS games is step one. The top tier teams (OSU, Mich., Wisc., Nebraska, Penn St.) need to stop playing the directional Michigan schools as well, although it may be moot for PSU with scholarship reductions, but I'll ignore those for argument's stake. Look at Ohio State's horrible OOC slate. Granted, they were on probation, but it's hard to make a case that they deserved the AP #1 ranking as the only unbeaten team given the weak conference.
I don't see the SEC following suit, because they don't have to. Florida, LSU, Bama or Georgia playing one FCS team only hurts them if they lose. I don't think the Pac-12 will either because they don't value their football programs, nor it's perception nationwide, as much as The B1G.

Southern Bison
February 13th, 2013, 11:21 AM
Let's look at the attributes of March Madness in the NCAA vs. 35+ bowl games. Look at some of the Cinderella stories that have come about in FCS playoffs (Colgate & McNeese) and some in The Final Four (Butler, Gonzaga, Marquette, etc.) There always seems to be that 1 Mid-Major school who beats 2 or 3 or even 4 "Big Program" schools during the tournament because they're hitting their stride just at the right time. The BCS and the plethora of bowl games has destroyed the FBS when its season reaches December. The NCAA and BCS will continue to segregate and in turn weaken college football on the FBS level for the greed of one more damn dollar.

That's the beauty of what happens in March Madness and what starts in late November and continues onto Frisco for the FCS. It's up to the athletes and coaches to determine their final standing/ranking for the season. The sportswriters, monday-morning QBs, and even us AGS pollsters don't matter when the teams are on the field or the court. That's the elementary failure of the BCS and this sham of a playoff that will be starting soon was simply throwing a bone to the football purists.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 13th, 2013, 11:32 AM
Pretty much only Michigan is trying. The Big 10 is not the SEC and therefore needs a stronger OOC schedule. Stopping the FCS games is step one. The top tier teams (OSU, Mich., Wisc., Nebraska, Penn St.) need to stop playing the directional Michigan schools as well, although it may be moot for PSU with scholarship reductions, but I'll ignore those for argument's stake. Look at Ohio State's horrible OOC slate. Granted, they were on probation, but it's hard to make a case that they deserved the AP #1 ranking as the only unbeaten team given the weak conference.
I don't see the SEC following suit, because they don't have to. Florida, LSU, Bama or Georgia playing one FCS team only hurts them if they lose. I don't think the Pac-12 will either because they don't value their football programs, nor it's perception nationwide, as much as The B1G.

Illinois AD: Hello, UCLA AD?

UCLA AD: Speaking.

Illinois AD: We just dropped Illinois State from our schedule because we need "schedule strength". How would you like to slot us in for our home opener this season?

UCLA AD (laughing): And wreck our "schedule strength"? Give me a break. The only way we do this is if you give us a million dollars. Then, we might consider it.

Illinois AD: Are you high? Even with the TV money we're barely holding our head above water as it is.

UCLA AD: Goodbye. *click*

This is why it will never work. The B1G schools will end up at the directional MAC schools because the supply of schools willing to meet this marketplace is so limited.

Laker
February 13th, 2013, 11:38 AM
The Gophers never would have gone to a bowl this year if they hadn't beaten New Hampshire. I think that several Big Ten schools will need an FCS team on their schedule, especially when they go to a nine or ten game BIG schedule.

Babar
February 13th, 2013, 11:43 AM
The B1G will now replacing $350,000 guarantee games against Northern Iowa with a $500,000 guarantee games against Eastern Michigan. It is their prerogative to do so. They will spend more money for games no less compelling than FCS vs. FBS matchups that will not help their strength of schedule and will get them no more ready for the plus-one playoff.

I think the B1G will replace that Northern Iowa game with a conference game. And it's really hard to argue that they won't be better off (both money-wise and conference-identity wise) playing one more B1G game and one fewer OOC.

kdinva
February 13th, 2013, 11:46 AM
The Gophers never would have gone to a bowl this year if they hadn't beaten New Hampshire. I think that several Big Ten schools will need an FCS team on their schedule, especially when they go to a nine or ten game BIG schedule.

+1

Lehigh Football Nation
February 13th, 2013, 11:54 AM
I think the B1G will replace that Northern Iowa game with a conference game. And it's really hard to argue that they won't be better off (both money-wise and conference-identity wise) playing one more B1G game and one fewer OOC.

A fair point. But, importantly, not "schedule strength" wise, where for two schools Maryland and Rutgers are going to be those two replacement games.

FargoBison
February 13th, 2013, 11:58 AM
Illinois AD: Hello, UCLA AD?

UCLA AD: Speaking.

Illinois AD: We just dropped Illinois State from our schedule because we need "schedule strength". How would you like to slot us in for our home opener this season?

UCLA AD (laughing): And wreck our "schedule strength"? Give me a break. The only way we do this is if you give us a million dollars. Then, we might consider it.

Illinois AD: Are you high? Even with the TV money we're barely holding our head above water as it is.

UCLA AD: Goodbye. *click*

This is why it will never work. The B1G schools will end up at the directional MAC schools because the supply of schools willing to meet this marketplace is so limited.

If Illinois wanted a home and home with UCLA they'd get one, easily. Hell Minnesota had a home and home with USC recently and before that they played Cal in a home and home.

CFBfan
February 13th, 2013, 12:12 PM
If the Ivies have issues scheduling other FCS teams, it will be because we don't want to play them. Not because they don't want to play us.

I'm not so sure about that one green.....why would caa, socon's, big sky, miss valley, southland "WANT" to play you in the 1st place??? HA!!

Babar
February 13th, 2013, 12:17 PM
I'm not so sure about that one green.....why would caa, socon's, big sky, miss valley, southland "WANT" to play you in the 1st place??? HA!!

Easy wins, man.

NoDak 4 Ever
February 13th, 2013, 12:17 PM

The FCS hierarchy is different from the academic one. Ivies are not on the same competitive level so they aren't any different from a MEAC team to the upper level FCS teams.

DFW HOYA
February 13th, 2013, 12:20 PM

Well, many do, whether for recruiting, for visibility in the larger stadia of the Northeast, or just for out of town presidents to rub shoulders with the Ivy brahmin.

These teams do have name recognition, however. I'm reminded of how Howard Schnellenberger vigorously promoted the fact that Florida Atlantic was to begin its football program vs. Cornell on September 1, 2001, when, in fact, the date he promoted was three weeks before the Ivy started play and Cornell's opening opponent was...Yale. (FAU actually played Slippery Rock instead.)

But admittedly, Ivy schools can be very particular. Georgetown got on the Columbia schedule for one season in 2006 when Towson dropped its previously scheduled Ivy games, and many GU fans thought this would become a natural series, if for no other reason that it was probably a winnable game for Columbia. Yet, the Lions have done nothing in the interim to add Georgetown.

citdog
February 13th, 2013, 12:25 PM
I'd LOVE to play georgetown. Just so I can slap the taste out of Mike Seidman's mouth and grudge **** sandy fluke

Saint3333
February 13th, 2013, 12:30 PM

Nope, actually I believe the opposite will occur. They will no longer count FCS wins towards bowl eligibility within five years.

Sandlapper Spike
February 13th, 2013, 12:30 PM
I would like to play more Ivy/Patriot teams, but right now there really isn't room in our OOC schedule. That could change if VMI joined the SoCon, but travel expenses may still be an issue.

Go Green
February 13th, 2013, 12:31 PM
Easy wins, man.

That's definitely one of them. Throw in the fact that--for whatever reason--those schools' alums/students really seem to enjoy beating Ivy teams more so than, say, a PFL or NEC team, and they're happy to schedule an Ivy.

EDIT: DFW HOYA put it better: "or just for out of town presidents to rub shoulders with the Ivy brahmin."

If you look at history, when an Ivy and Team X end a series, it's usually following a long run of Team X victories in the series. Dartmouth-UNH, Yale-UConn, Penn-Penn State, Princeton-Rutgers. Some other current long-running series that fit that trend may be ending soon as well. We all can draw conclusions from that.

Sandlapper Spike
February 13th, 2013, 12:31 PM
Nope, actually I believe the opposite will occur. They will no longer count FCS wins towards bowl eligibility within five years.

They might do that, but then I bet they would have to change the 6-win rule. Either that, or eliminate a bunch of bowl games.

FargoBison
February 13th, 2013, 12:33 PM

The Big 10 more or less prints money. If this is what the power schools in that league want, the others will just have to deal with it.

DFW HOYA
February 13th, 2013, 12:33 PM
I'd LOVE to play georgetown. Just so I can slap the taste out of Mike Seidman's mouth and grudge **** sandy fluke

I'm sorry, who is Mike Seidman?

(Don't worry, Georgetown is south of the Mason-Dixon line. Seating may be a problem, however...)

Go Green
February 13th, 2013, 12:35 PM
I'm sorry, who is Mike Seidman?

Professor at Georgetown Law.

Going to go out on a limb and guess that citdog doesn't like Seidman's politics. :)

citdog
February 13th, 2013, 12:40 PM

well that will hurt app too. as y'all will STILL be FCS

Apphole
February 13th, 2013, 12:52 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgSNJ6ZQmF8

Go...gate
February 13th, 2013, 12:58 PM

Not to mention Rutgers - Princeton. So much for the 150th anniversary game.

Go...gate
February 13th, 2013, 01:02 PM
What bothers me about this is that Colgate, Lafayette and Lehigh all had long football series with Rutgers (also, we all play RU in a lot of other men's and women's sports) and there was discussion about having each play at Rutgers Stadium at some point. Now, with Rutgers in the Big Ten and these new rules in place, those games will not happen.

asumike83
February 13th, 2013, 01:08 PM
A fair point. But, importantly, not "schedule strength" wise, where for two schools Maryland and Rutgers are going to be those two replacement games.

How would replacing an FCS game with Maryland or Rutgers not help their strength of schedule numbers?

AmsterBison
February 13th, 2013, 01:22 PM
I'd prefer the FCS to be able to stand on its own anyway and build the brand. I sure don't need NDSU to play Big10 schools.

eaglewraith
February 13th, 2013, 01:23 PM
I'd prefer the FCS to be able to stand on its own anyway and build the brand. I sure don't need NDSU to play Big10 schools.

We all would.

No one is willing to do it. ESPN could make the playoffs HUGE. They refuse to. They own all rights to the broadcasts for the playoffs until at least 2020.

eaglewraith
February 13th, 2013, 01:24 PM
How would replacing an FCS game with Maryland or Rutgers not help their strength of schedule numbers?

If he comes back and says it won't, I'd like some of what he's smoking.

Saint3333
February 13th, 2013, 01:27 PM

It would if we are, just one more reason to leave the FCS. The NCAA from the beginning sold us one thing and slowly has taken it away. What's after this, a reduction in scholarships to 55 (playoff # of participants)?

Apphole
February 13th, 2013, 01:40 PM
http://www.fxguide.com/wp-content/uploads//2012/04/Titanic_Trailer.jpg

WileECoyote06
February 13th, 2013, 01:44 PM
It would if we are, just one more reason to leave the FCS. The NCAA from the beginning sold us one thing and slowly has taken it away. What's after this, a reduction in scholarships to 55 (playoff # of participants)?

I give FCS five years before the # of cash strapped schools/conferences outnumber the other schools and force the scholarship number down to 45-50.

citdog
February 13th, 2013, 01:48 PM
I give FCS five years before the # of cash strapped schools/conferences outnumber the other schools and force the scholarship number down to 45-50.

just because YOU FAILED MISERABLY doesn't mean that other programs that are WELL managed will have the same result.

citdog
February 13th, 2013, 01:51 PM
http://www.fxguide.com/wp-content/uploads//2012/04/Titanic_Trailer.jpg

http://www.astrococktail.com/images/hunley.jpg

GATA_GSU
February 13th, 2013, 01:54 PM
Not sure if anybody noticed this or not, but on today's ESPN SportsNation Poll (http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/polls), the 12th question addressed this issue: "What do you make of the Big Ten's plan to stop scheduling non-conference games against FCS (Division II) schools?"

I have no problem with the question itself, but I didn't like that ESPN falsely classified FCS schools as Division II. The American public is ignorant enough when it comes to FCS being DII, and with ESPN making this mistake it doesn't do much to help the reputation of FCS schools.

I sent ESPN a friendly complaint and asked them to address the issue, while explaining that FCS schools participate in Division I.

FargoBison
February 13th, 2013, 01:56 PM
just because YOU FAILED MISERABLY doesn't mean that other programs that are WELL managed will have the same result.

NDSU has been through this song and dance before. What he said is coming.

citdog
February 13th, 2013, 01:57 PM
NDSU has been through this song and dance before. What he said is coming.

in division II where nc central had to go

this AIN'T division ii

Saint3333
February 13th, 2013, 02:06 PM

Have you looked at state of the nation lately, very similar situation here. The rich (BCS programs) get richer as they make the laws (or have people to help get around them), while the "poor" (underfunded programs) drag down the lower half of the middle class (top 1/3 of FCS) and the rich hold down the upper middle class (non BCS FBS programs) by passing laws they seem good but only benefit the rich long term.

Football is a money game and thus mirrors economics.

bluehenbillk
February 13th, 2013, 02:08 PM
Not sure if anybody noticed this or not, but on today's ESPN SportsNation Poll (http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/polls), the 12th question addressed this issue: "What do you make of the Big Ten's plan to stop scheduling non-conference games against FCS (Division II) schools?"

I have no problem with the question itself, but I didn't like that ESPN falsely classified FCS schools as Division II. The American public is ignorant enough when it comes to FCS being DII, and with ESPN making this mistake it doesn't do much to help the reputation of FCS schools.

I sent ESPN a friendly complaint and asked them to address the issue, while explaining that FCS schools participate in Division I.

This has been covered/debated on ad nauseum. As much as we all love 1-AA/FCS/whatever it will be called in 2013 Football, 95%-plus of the population doesn't refer to us as Division 1 Football.

word
February 13th, 2013, 02:12 PM

North Dakota is the only state to vote bad idea on this according to the polls so far.

GATA_GSU
February 13th, 2013, 02:19 PM
This has been covered/debated on ad nauseum. As much as we all love 1-AA/FCS/whatever it will be called in 2013 Football, 95%-plus of the population doesn't refer to us as Division 1 Football.

The sad truth. But one can always hope for change! Lol. Besides, my qualm was mainly with the fact that the mistake was made by "The Worldwide Leader In Sports". I could understand if it was Bleacher Report, but I thought ESPN would have a little more knowledge about college football.

asumike83
February 13th, 2013, 02:22 PM
this AIN'T division ii

Just give it a few years.

There are a lot of FCS programs who rely on getting a payday from the big boys to help fund their athletic programs. If that well goes dry, it will be a decision between scholarship reduction and elimination of football all together. For the programs who struggle to get more than a few thousand in the stands and lack big money donors, that $500K check goes a long way.

Just the Big Ten eliminating FCS games is not that big a deal, it's what it could lead to. The SEC/Big XII have plenty of SOS already and the lower conferences just want wins that count towards bowl eligibility. They will continue to play FCS programs as long as they can but if the NCAA decides that they no longer help your chances at getting a bowl bid, they'll stop.

If you can't see that it would be very, very bad news for the FCS if that happens, your head is in the sand. We already eat their scraps in terms of media coverage and in this case, athletic budget. $500K is a drop in the bucket to Florida State but you can bet Savannah State needed that check. They didn't schedule two games they lost by a combined score of 139-0 just for fun. Same could be said for Sam Houston playing both Baylor and Texas A&M. An FBS-wide ban of giving paydays to the FCS would be crippling. That is millions of dollars off the table for a subdivision that doesn't have the bank accounts of the big boys.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 13th, 2013, 02:30 PM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2013/02/b1gs-collossally-stupid-decision-to.html

Quote me. "Collossally stupid decision."

Lehigh Football Nation
February 13th, 2013, 02:32 PM
What bothers me about this is that Colgate, Lafayette and Lehigh all had long football series with Rutgers (also, we all play RU in a lot of other men's and women's sports) and there was discussion about having each play at Rutgers Stadium at some point. Now, with Rutgers in the Big Ten and these new rules in place, those games will not happen.

Holy cow - I forgot about that. Princeton/Rutgers 2016 will not happen now.

GlassOnion
February 13th, 2013, 02:35 PM
Just give it a few years.

There are a lot of FCS programs who rely on getting a payday from the big boys to help fund their athletic programs. If that well goes dry, it will be a decision between scholarship reduction and elimination of football all together. For the programs who struggle to get more than a few thousand in the stands and lack big money donors, that $500K check goes a long way.

Just the Big Ten eliminating FCS games is not that big a deal, it's what it could lead to. The SEC/Big XII have plenty of SOS already and the lower conferences just want wins that count towards bowl eligibility. They will continue to play FCS programs as long as they can but if the NCAA decides that they no longer help your chances at getting a bowl bid, they'll stop.

If you can't see that it would be very, very bad news for the FCS if that happens, your head is in the sand. We already eat their scraps in terms of media coverage and in this case, athletic budget. $500K is a drop in the bucket to Florida State but you can bet Savannah State needed that check. They didn't schedule two games they lost by a combined score of 139-0 just for fun. Same could be said for Sam Houston playing both Baylor and Texas A&M. An FBS-wide ban of giving paydays to the FCS would be crippling. That is millions of dollars off the table for a subdivision that doesn't have the bank accounts of the big boys.

Hell yes. $500,000 probably pays about 1/2 of your average FCS team's scholarships. Not good.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 13th, 2013, 02:35 PM
If he comes back and says it won't, I'd like some of what he's smoking.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt12.htm

35 North Dakota State AA = 77.94 14 1 59.14( 135) 0 0 | 0 0 | 76.23 44 | 79.53 32
53 Rutgers A = 74.62 9 4 67.42( 72) 0 0 | 0 1 | 74.18 54 | 74.76 50
101 Maryland A = 63.28 4 8 69.52( 62) 0 0 | 0 2 | 63.58 102 | 62.67 99

xlolx xlolx xlolx

WileECoyote06
February 13th, 2013, 02:37 PM

Uh we're not failing. We finished with a winning record in our second year in Division I; and are winning the conference in basketball so far. Also our football scholarships are fully funded.

I'm just being realistic. How many conferences are currently in cost-contain mode? Once the money-tree called FBS games is gone. . how many more schools will be forced to cut back? With more state-supported regional colleges feeling the crunch of budget cuts and/or interests hostile to public education buying off legislators, more schools will be unable to raise athletic fees to cover the shortfall.

I also think Division II will suffer a cut too. *shrug*

DFW HOYA
February 13th, 2013, 02:38 PM
Holy cow - I forgot about that. Princeton/Rutgers 2016 will not happen now.

I'd rather them play in 2019 (150th anniv.). Always room for a waiver in that case.

WileECoyote06
February 13th, 2013, 02:42 PM
in division II where nc central had to go

this AIN'T division ii

When did we go back to Division II? Did I miss something? I need to talk to the AD, because I ain't donating thousands every year just to play in D2. xeyebrowx :D

NoDak 4 Ever
February 13th, 2013, 02:43 PM
Uh we're not failing. We finished with a winning record in our second year in Division I; and are winning the conference in basketball so far. Also our football scholarships are fully funded.

I'm just being realistic. How many conferences are currently in cost-contain mode? Once the money-tree called FBS games is gone. . how many more schools will be forced to cut back? With more state-supported regional colleges feeling the crunch of budget cuts and/or interests hostile to public education buying off legislators, more schools will be unable to raise athletic fees to cover the shortfall.

The B1G isn't all of FBS, hell the BCS isn't all of FBS. Plenty of Central Michigans out there willing to pay a little.

Herder
February 13th, 2013, 02:44 PM
Not covered by the media was this follow up info from Alverez.

The B1G will be officially changing their conf name to the ME-10, and moving to a 3 division format . . . Officially named the ME, MYSELF, and I Divisions. This will be followed by session from the NCAA and refusal to play the lowly SEC.

WileECoyote06
February 13th, 2013, 02:47 PM
The B1G isn't all of FBS, hell the BCS isn't all of FBS. Plenty of Central Michigans out there willing to pay a little.

True. I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised if the FBS schools started freezing FCS out; and thus I understand the mad dash for some schools to abandon FCS. But I'm not saying anything I haven't said before about this issue.

NoDak 4 Ever
February 13th, 2013, 02:49 PM
True. I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised if the FBS schools started freezing FCS out; and thus I understand the mad dash for some schools to abandon FCS. But I'm not saying anything I haven't said before about this issue.

It is much more likely that the low FBS and upper FCS teams form a single division. A second scenario involved the BCS abanadoning the NCAA altogether and the aforementioned FBS/FCS combo becoming the top NCAA division.

asumike83
February 13th, 2013, 02:51 PM
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt12.htm

35 North Dakota State AA = 77.94 14 1 59.14( 135) 0 0 | 0 0 | 76.23 44 | 79.53 32
53 Rutgers A = 74.62 9 4 67.42( 72) 0 0 | 0 1 | 74.18 54 | 74.76 50
101 Maryland A = 63.28 4 8 69.52( 62) 0 0 | 0 2 | 63.58 102 | 62.67 99

xlolx xlolx xlolx

Rutgers and Maryland will both see their Sagarin numbers increase significantly with a Big Ten schedule as opposed to ACC/Big East. It will be very rare that they will be lower in the computers than an FCS opponent, most of which are nowhere near the quality of NDSU. Ohio State is playing Florida A&M next year, which is insane.

citdog
February 13th, 2013, 02:55 PM
Rutgers and Maryland will both see their Sagarin numbers increase significantly with a Big Ten schedule as opposed to ACC/Big East. It will be very rare that they will be lower in the computers than an FCS opponent, most of which are nowhere near the quality of NDSU. Ohio State is playing Florida A&M next year, which is insane.

so y'all were FOR the Sagarin Ratings BEFORE you were AGAINST it?

sounds familiar

asumike83
February 13th, 2013, 02:57 PM
so y'all were FOR the Sagarin Ratings BEFORE you were AGAINST it?

sounds familiar

What are you even talking about? I'm not speaking to the validity of the rankings, just saying that Maryland and Rutgers will rank higher in the computers as Big Ten members than your average FCS opponent the vast majority of the time, which is why they could consider adding another conference game instead of playing an FCS. I'm not for it or against it, just stating facts.

superman7515
February 13th, 2013, 03:32 PM
From ESPN.com

Featured Poll
What do you make of the Big Ten's plan to stop scheduling non-conference games against FCS (Division II) schools?
Good idea
Bad idea

IBleedYellow
February 13th, 2013, 03:35 PM
From ESPN.com

Featured Poll
What do you make of the Big Ten's plan to stop scheduling non-conference games against FCS (Division II) schools?
Good idea
Bad idea

About 3 pages late. Either way, the dumbasses at ESPN don't know the difference between FCS and DII. No suprise there.

superman7515
February 13th, 2013, 03:35 PM
Meh, I couldn't remember how far back I was so I just started from the last page, haha.

NoDak 4 Ever
February 13th, 2013, 03:57 PM
This may be much ado about nothing.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/389866/group/homepage/

"Upon further review, North Dakota State athletic director Gene Taylor said talk of the Big Ten Conference banning its schools from playing Football Championship Subdivision programs is just that. Talk.

“It’s just a discussion point,” Taylor said. “Hold on to your hats. It’s not time to panic.”

Taylor’s comments were in response to those made by University of Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez, who told a Madison, Wis., radio station that Big Ten officials agreed to stop playing FCS opponents, a division that includes North Dakota State and the University of North Dakota.

Taylor said he got his information from another Big Ten athletic director on Wednesday, who told him some schools in the power conference don’t want to give up the FCS game.

“One of (the ADs) said we’re not all in the upper echelon of the Big Ten,” Taylor said. “We need those guys. Our coaches would hang us if we played only non-FCS teams.”

bonarae
February 13th, 2013, 05:13 PM

Hmm... Why has it always been the case? Stigmas abound?

Let's look at the attributes of March Madness in the NCAA vs. 35+ bowl games. Look at some of the Cinderella stories that have come about in FCS playoffs (Colgate & McNeese) and some in The Final Four (Butler, Gonzaga, Marquette, etc.) There always seems to be that 1 Mid-Major school who beats 2 or 3 or even 4 "Big Program" schools during the tournament because they're hitting their stride just at the right time. The BCS and the plethora of bowl games has destroyed the FBS when its season reaches December. The NCAA and BCS will continue to segregate and in turn weaken college football on the FBS level for the greed of one more damn dollar.

That's the beauty of what happens in March Madness and what starts in late November and continues onto Frisco for the FCS. It's up to the athletes and coaches to determine their final standing/ranking for the season. The sportswriters, monday-morning QBs, and even us AGS pollsters don't matter when the teams are on the field or the court. That's the elementary failure of the BCS and this sham of a playoff that will be starting soon was simply throwing a bone to the football purists.

FCS / CBB > bowls. Enough said.

xchinscratchx I always dream of those, but with their schedules always full, it's impossible for us to get a piece of their cake ...

Easy wins, man.

Right.

The FCS hierarchy is different from the academic one. Ivies are not on the same competitive level so they aren't any different from a MEAC team to the upper level FCS teams.

But Hampton beat Princeton some years back, that's why MEAC > Ivy somewhat true. Why can't we play Grambling, Southern U or other SWAC schools?

That's definitely one of them. Throw in the fact that--for whatever reason--those schools' alums/students really seem to enjoy beating Ivy teams more so than, say, a PFL or NEC team, and they're happy to schedule an Ivy.

If you look at history, when an Ivy and Team X end a series, it's usually following a long run of Team X victories in the series. Dartmouth-UNH, Yale-UConn, Penn-Penn State, Princeton-Rutgers. Some other current long-running series that fit that trend may be ending soon as well. We all can draw conclusions from that.

I agree. Ivies need some fresh faces, but they're afraid that Team X may take advantage of us all the time, that's why we tend not to schedule them... (e.g. SHSU, NDSU, Montana/Montana State, etc.) xsmhx

That's another story to cover... I'm more interested in Division III though.

Southern Bison
February 13th, 2013, 05:45 PM

I wouldn't touch Sandra Fluke with your schmeckle and Ursus pushing.

citdog
February 13th, 2013, 06:29 PM

All three of us have enjoyed 'horizontal refreshment' with worse I'll wager.

at least the two of y'all have anyway.

hell ursus'll add her to the 'j' files just for those tittles alone.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-A_DVIZpX84I/UDZD1tLxKBI/AAAAAAAAAtU/V6xUQZWKibQ/s1600/Obama_Sandra_Fluke.jpg

Southern Bison
February 13th, 2013, 06:34 PM
All three of us have enjoyed 'horizontal refreshment' with worse I'll wager.

at least the two of y'all have anyway.

hell ursus'll add her to the 'j' files just for those tittles alone.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-A_DVIZpX84I/UDZD1tLxKBI/AAAAAAAAAtU/V6xUQZWKibQ/s1600/Obama_Sandra_Fluke.jpg

If there was just a way to keep from worrying about her birth control and that mouth from spouting that vile liberal jibberish...xsmugx

caribbeanhen
February 13th, 2013, 06:48 PM
why is it that all good things must come to an end? these games are what AGS is all about

superman7515
February 13th, 2013, 09:31 PM

I'll knock anything off, but once it gets below a certain level I start off by telling them I'm a lawyer from Baltimore.

ngineer
February 13th, 2013, 09:40 PM
So much for giving Penn State a chance to 'get back' for the 1889 thrashing....(;-)

Wallace
February 13th, 2013, 11:34 PM
Congratulations University of Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez!

You have been honored as a recipient of "The Divvy Award" for your comments as they appeared in an article from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel on February 12, 2013:

“So we’ve made an agreement that our future games will all be Division I schools. It will not be FCS schools.”

Reference: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/190943281.html

The Divvy Award is given "In Recognition of Referring to the NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision As Something Other Than NCAA Division I Football."

For your information, the FCS IS Division I. Welcome to the Divvy recipient list.

eaglewraith
February 14th, 2013, 06:19 AM
I'll knock anything off, but once it gets below a certain level I start off by telling them I'm a lawyer from Baltimore.

But seriously................no cops

GlassOnion
February 14th, 2013, 06:43 AM
Congratulations University of Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez!

You have been honored as a recipient of "The Divvy Award" for your comments as they appeared in an article from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel on February 12, 2013:

“So we’ve made an agreement that our future games will all be Division I schools. It will not be FCS schools.”

Reference: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/190943281.html

The Divvy Award is given "In Recognition of Referring to the NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision As Something Other Than NCAA Division I Football."

For your information, the FCS IS Division I. Welcome to the Divvy recipient list.

I think it was more of a dig than an oversight on his part. If not, its probably the ridiculousness of calling FCS Division 1 that got him. After all, what other division has some awkward growth like the FCS on its back?

Lets see... Division 1, FCS, Division 2, Division 3... Which doesnt belong?

superman7515
February 14th, 2013, 07:16 AM
Lets see... Division 1, FCS, Division 2, Division 3... Which doesnt belong?

Division 1 because it is not a proper NCAA classification for a singular division of football whereas all three of the others are correct.

GlassOnion
February 14th, 2013, 07:24 AM
Division 1 because it is not a proper NCAA classification for a singular division of football whereas all three of the others are correct.

99% of Americans disagree.

superman7515
February 14th, 2013, 07:31 AM
Doesn't matter if they agree or disagree, it's no less correct. There is still a Flat Earth Society, that doesn't make the world any less round.

GlassOnion
February 14th, 2013, 07:44 AM
Doesn't matter if they agree or disagree, it's no less correct. There is still a Flat Earth Society, that doesn't make the world any less round.

Bull, both FCS and FBS contain schools that dont meet their supposed criteria. The "subdivision" is purposely smoke and mirrors. Its created, manipulated and gerrymandered to keep some in, some out, and to appease the rest.

citdog
February 14th, 2013, 09:06 AM

they are schmucks......like you

henfan
February 14th, 2013, 09:06 AM

You know this to be true based on what exactly? I doubt you'd get 99% of Americans to agree on anything, including whether or not grass is green.

Stepping out of the college football bubble, the percentage you quoted might be closer to the number of Americans who don't follow college football with any degree of regularity.

GlassOnion
February 14th, 2013, 09:15 AM
You know this to be true based on what exactly? I doubt you'd get 99% of Americans to agree on anything, including whether or not grass is green.

Stepping out of the college football bubble, the percentage you quoted might be closer to the number of Americans who don't follow college football with any degree of regularity.

Hyperbole. You as well as I know that there are many in FCS world that dont know that FCS is D1. Anybody associate with FBS, even lowly fbs conferences dismiss it out of hand. As long as fcs skimps on scholarships, theyre right.

fc97
February 14th, 2013, 09:28 AM
app fans say its true, it must be!

Apphole
February 14th, 2013, 09:32 AM

If you're going to be just as obsessed with us as citdog, at least be topical. Can't wait to play basketball here tonight

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRilox4skuW2Yho4khrHUwgCiGjaghWY bKcl-mcTDnp7_6_EcoD6w

GlassOnion
February 14th, 2013, 09:33 AM

The view is much better from the top of the mountain than the cellar, take our word for it.

citdog
February 14th, 2013, 09:37 AM
If you're going to be just as obsessed with us as citdog, at least be topical. Can't wait to play basketball here tonight

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRilox4skuW2Yho4khrHUwgCiGjaghWY bKcl-mcTDnp7_6_EcoD6w

this 'obsession' is INVITATION ONLY and you don't have one.

NoDak 4 Ever
February 14th, 2013, 10:01 AM
this 'obsession' is INVITATION ONLY and you don't have one.

It's coming by carrier pigeon but the problem is thems just too good eatin!

walliver
February 14th, 2013, 10:03 AM

I actually belong to the Flat Earth Society, I have the little flat globe and everything.;) BTW I believe the earth is roughly spherical, but since NASA will not loan me a spaceship to go up and see for myself, I cannot prove it is spherical so I have to take the word of others. And quite frankly, the Earth is pretty damn flat in the South Carolina Lowcountry.

I never liked the FBS and FCS subdivision terminology. At least "I-AA" has the number "I" in the name and was easily understandable. I think the FCS label reinforces the idea that we are not "Division I", and if I recall correctly, was primarily instituted for basketball reasons as FCS schools' BB teams were often listed as I-AA.

I also have little respect for teams in conferences that make no sense like "Big 10" without 10 members, "Big12" without 12 members, the "Big East" with a team in the Big Easy, and the "Big South" that ain't big.

Gil Dobie
February 14th, 2013, 10:57 AM
Capital One Cup Standings

1 B1G school 1 future B1G school and 5 FCS schools. :)

SCHOOL POINTS
1. Alabama 60
1. Indiana 60
1. North Dakota State 60
4. Notre Dame 39
5. Georgetown 36
5. Oregon 36
5. Sam Houston State 36
8. Georgia Southern 30
8. Maryland 30
10. Creighton 24
10. Eastern Washington 24
10. Georgia 24

smallcollegefbfan
February 14th, 2013, 12:16 PM

Well, then if I were a BCS school I would not schedule a FCS school unless I absolutely had to as well. People here can complain but if I was Michigan I would never play any FCS school. They get nothing out of it. They can play a MAC bottom dweller and beat them badly while not having to play someone with less scholarships. FCS schools look down on playing D2 and FBS schools should look down on playing FCS. It's the level below either way. While I look at it as D1 across with some schools just getting less scholarships the bottom line is that FCS has a NC game separate from the big boys. I honestly don't blame the FBS guys for doing this. While I hate to see it happen because I enjoy the games between FBS and FCS I don't blame them and it is their decision. FCS teams view themselves as a level above D2, because they are, and it's the exact same with FBS and FCS.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 14th, 2013, 12:53 PM
Well, then if I were a BCS school I would not schedule a FCS school unless I absolutely had to as well. People here can complain but if I was Michigan I would never play any FCS school.

Essentially, they haven't scheduled FCS schools since App State humiliated them in 2007 and UMass came close to doing so as well a few years after that. Nobody is complaining about Michigan applying a no-FCS policy if they want, just like nobody complains that Notre Dame, essentially, has always done so as well. But it's another situation entirely when the entire conference is mandated to not schedule FCS teams.

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 14th, 2013, 01:08 PM
So much for giving Penn State a chance to 'get back' for the 1889 thrashing....(;-)

Not being able to Rutger's is the only real loss given the Scarlet Knights are LU's 3rd most played opponent.

Lehigh still has plenty of options if they want to play a non-paycheck FBS game. Army, Navy, Temple, BC, UConn, UMass, MAC schools are teams that Lehigh can compete with most years. They also allow Lehigh fans a reasonable opportunity to attend.

smallcollegefbfan
February 14th, 2013, 01:50 PM
Essentially, they haven't scheduled FCS schools since App State humiliated them in 2007 and UMass came close to doing so as well a few years after that. Nobody is complaining about Michigan applying a no-FCS policy if they want, just like nobody complains that Notre Dame, essentially, has always done so as well. But it's another situation entirely when the entire conference is mandated to not schedule FCS teams.

It does not bother me. BCS schools get nothing from playing FCS schools. You play App State or UNI or NDSU and you could potentially lose in a situation that only hurts you. If you play Savannah State it's such a whipping that nobody watches and you get nothing from it. Those schools get nothing from playing FCS programs and I don't blame them for this. I always assumed they did this behind close doors and just a couple schools went against the "suggestion". Now that it is public I think it will happen even less.

I hope Michigan pulls out of the App agreement because I think App was crazy to sign them for another game anyway. The only reason App should ever play Michigan again is if they are FBS. If Michigan beats App by 30-40 then people will say that is what should have happened before and the first win was a fluke.

Just look in football at how many times teams play twice in a year and the loser from the first game wins the second game. It's about 75%. There is no doubt that had Michigan and App played again a month later that Michigan would have won big. I'm glad App pulled the upset and I think App should just sit on that win and only play Michigan again if they are on equal ground meaning same scholarships and have had a couple of years in FBS getting a higher level of recruits.

NoDak 4 Ever
February 14th, 2013, 01:56 PM
Until I hear this from more than Barry Alavarasshole's mouth, I'm not going to believe it.

danefan
February 14th, 2013, 02:31 PM
It does not bother me. BCS schools get nothing from playing FCS schools. You play App State or UNI or NDSU and you could potentially lose in a situation that only hurts you. If you play Savannah State it's such a whipping that nobody watches and you get nothing from it. Those schools get nothing from playing FCS programs and I don't blame them for this. I always assumed they did this behind close doors and just a couple schools went against the "suggestion". Now that it is public I think it will happen even less.

I hope Michigan pulls out of the App agreement because I think App was crazy to sign them for another game anyway. The only reason App should ever play Michigan again is if they are FBS. If Michigan beats App by 30-40 then people will say that is what should have happened before and the first win was a fluke.

Just look in football at how many times teams play twice in a year and the loser from the first game wins the second game. It's about 75%. There is no doubt that had Michigan and App played again a month later that Michigan would have won big. I'm glad App pulled the upset and I think App should just sit on that win and only play Michigan again if they are on equal ground meaning same scholarships and have had a couple of years in FBS getting a higher level of recruits.

I agree. This is no different than the NEC mandating to its teams that it cannot play DII schools.

It is what it is. Can't fault the BCS schools for doing this.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 14th, 2013, 02:39 PM
It does not bother me. BCS schools get nothing from playing FCS schools.

Are you kidding? They get home games, and (most of the time) wins. That's also why Delaware scheduled West Chester. Home games, and wins.

The key difference is that if Alabama goes 12-0 they make the crystal ball trophy game and everybody ignores the win against Western Carolina (and also the horrible FBS teams they loaded their schedule with as well). If Delaware plays a D-II, it's codified in the playoff prerequisites that D-II wins don't count.

Bisonator
February 14th, 2013, 03:24 PM
The BCS conferences have basically told the other FBS conferences to set their price now. Look for those MAC, Sunbelt, etc, schools to start gouging big money from the BCS schools for OOC games. I bet this won't last long before those $350,000 FCS games look good again!

Go Green
February 14th, 2013, 03:32 PM
The key difference is that if Alabama goes 12-0 they make the crystal ball trophy game and everybody ignores the win against Western Carolina (and also the horrible FBS teams they loaded their schedule with as well). If Delaware plays a D-II, it's codified in the playoff prerequisites that D-II wins don't count.

In 2004, Auburn's win over Citadel (and other non-BCS teams) was widely cited as the reason why they were undeserving of the BCS championship game in favor of USC and Oklahoma.

citdog
February 14th, 2013, 03:54 PM
In 2004, Auburn's win over Citadel (and other non-BCS teams) was widely cited as the reason why they were undeserving of the BCS championship game in favor of USC and Oklahoma.

Auburn was dropped by someone and called US to schedule the game. Nehemiah Broughton had a hell of a game against them.

http://media.scout.com/media/image/70/704547.jpg

Lehigh Football Nation
February 14th, 2013, 03:57 PM

More so, Auburn was one of the three losers in the BCS formula as one of five undefeated teams that season, one of the rare instances where "strength of schedule" mattered. But that was a very rare year... and going forward, would an undefeated SEC team be denied a shot at the championship, especially in a plus-one scenario?

bisonnation
February 14th, 2013, 04:15 PM
Well, then if I were a BCS school I would not schedule a FCS school unless I absolutely had to as well. People here can complain but if I was Michigan I would never play any FCS school. They get nothing out of it. They can play a MAC bottom dweller and beat them badly while not having to play someone with less scholarships. FCS schools look down on playing D2 and FBS schools should look down on playing FCS. It's the level below either way. While I look at it as D1 across with some schools just getting less scholarships the bottom line is that FCS has a NC game separate from the big boys. I honestly don't blame the FBS guys for doing this. While I hate to see it happen because I enjoy the games between FBS and FCS I don't blame them and it is their decision. FCS teams view themselves as a level above D2, because they are, and it's the exact same with FBS and FCS.

They get something out of it. A win to become bowl eligible. Not all teams are trying to win the national championship and the year Alabama and Auburn did it, they had FCS games on the schedule. What they do gain is a lower cost game. Once it goes through, they will be paying much more to the smaller FBS conferences. As far as interest goes? It depends on the schools. In Minnesota case, NDSU is either their #1 or #2 draw and they even made it a prime time game. Let's face it. If a BCS team cannot beat an FCS team, they don't have the ability to win the championship. Also Iowa and Illinois get good draws from UNI, SIU, and ISU Red. These games make sense for teams that are not selling out regularly. As far as RPI goes, teams like NDSU are in the top 50 and as high as 35. Much better than the low end FBS school.

Let the schools decide. If your Ohio State, you may have different standards and goals than say Indiana, Illinois, Northwestern, or Minnesota. Those schools don't regularly sell out their stadium and its not because they have played FCS games. It's no different than a FCS scheduling a D2, which in my opinion is a bigger mismatch. 85 vs 63 scholarships or 63 vs 30? Not even close. But if a team determines their fans will pay money, so be it. It's their choice.

Babar
February 14th, 2013, 05:47 PM
They get something out of it. A win to become bowl eligible. Not all teams are trying to win the national championship and the year Alabama and Auburn did it, they had FCS games on the schedule. What they do gain is a lower cost game.

Not to be a broken record, but: the B1G is adding one or even two in-conference games to the schedule. FCS guarantee games are not being replaced by MAC guarantee games. They're being replaced by cross-divisional games.

Those games cost $0 in guarantees, attract more fans and media interest, strengthen conference identity, allow for new rivalries, and increase strength of schedule.

Go Green
February 14th, 2013, 08:52 PM
Not to be a broken record, but: the B1G is adding one or even two in-conference games to the schedule. FCS guarantee games are not being replaced by MAC guarantee games. They're being replaced by cross-divisional games.

Those games cost $0 in guarantees, attract more fans and media interest, strengthen conference identity, allow for new rivalries, and increase strength of schedule.

They also increase the chance of a "L," thus knocking them out of BCS bowl contention.

I think that if you look back over the last ten years of those 11-1 or 10-2 teams that have an inexplicable loss, it's almost always to some mediocre conference opponent. Pete Carroll's USC teams were notorious for kicking the **** out of OOC opponents (whether they were unranked or ranked #2), yet laying an egg against middle-of-the-pack Pac-10 teams.

We will see whether this works out for the B1G.

Hammerhead
February 15th, 2013, 09:39 AM
Most FBS teams think an opener with an FCS opponent will be a good "warm-up" game similar to the preseason in the NFL except they wins and losses actually count.

For me personally, I'd be just as happy with a home and home series against another quality FCS team than road game at a MAC school every year.

NoDak 4 Ever
February 15th, 2013, 09:45 AM
Most FBS teams think an opener with an FCS opponent will be a good "warm-up" game similar to the preseason in the NFL except they wins and losses actually count.

For me personally, I'd be just as happy with a home and home series against another quality FCS team than road game at a MAC school every year.

Either way is fine. Schedules are getting harder to fill out every year now that NDSU has proven to be a FCS power. I'd just as soon they switch to more Big 12 games anyway since I'm moving into the heart of that area. Bottom line, there has to be a lot of between the line reading here. This was an off-handed proclamation by one B1G AD and Gene Taylor himself has talked to others that don't feel the same way.

Even if they have an additional conference game, they still have at least 2 OOC games to fill. Especially if the conference schedule gets harder, an easier opponent on paper is more attractive.

Go Green
February 27th, 2013, 01:04 PM
Stewart Mandel addresses this issue in SI's Mailbag. Near bottom of first page.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130227/oklahoma-ncaa-mark-emmert-mailbag/?sct=hp_wr_a1&eref=sihp

HerdUp
February 27th, 2013, 01:46 PM
I just really don't understand how the lower tier teams in the B1G (Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Purdue, NW, Minnesota) can afford not to have these "guarantee" games.

Take Minnesota for instance... 2-6 in the B1G this year. Need 6 wins to be bowl eligable... They needed the win over UNH this year (and future years) because lets be honest, there are only so many Western and Central Michigan's in the FBS to go around for these "big" guys.

The statement that Alvarez made applies to about 6 teams in the B1G conference that is soon to be 14 teams

Lehigh Football Nation
September 26th, 2013, 01:13 PM
It's dead, Jim.

FBSchedules.com@FBSchedules (http://twitter.com/FBSchedules)

Illinois adding Murray State in 2016 likely confirms Big Ten stance on FCS games. Frowned upon, but not banned.

BisonFan02
September 26th, 2013, 01:41 PM
It's dead, Jim.

Illinois adding Murray State in 2016 likely confirms Big Ten stance on FCS games. Frowned upon, but not banned.

Yup, Jim Delany wears Shape ups.

BisonBacker
September 26th, 2013, 01:46 PM
Yup, Jim Delany wears Shape ups.

That had to be one of my favorite signs on gameday in fargo. That and the little girl wearing a B10 shirt running from the herd. Good stuff.

darell1976
September 26th, 2013, 02:01 PM
UND at Minnesota 2019!!! I hope.

dewey
September 26th, 2013, 02:48 PM
That had to be one of my favorite signs on gameday in fargo. That and the little girl wearing a B10 shirt running from the herd. Good stuff.

That sign of the bison herd chasing the running and screaming little girl wearing a Big 10 shirt was nicely done and very funny.

Dewey

CassBison
September 26th, 2013, 11:50 PM
UND at Minnesota 2019!!! I hope.

This will more than likely not happen. The only reason Minnesota would have scheduled UND would be so they could beat the piss out of a team that is from North Dakota, because God knows they have 0 chance against NDSU.

Go...gate
September 26th, 2013, 11:57 PM
It's dead, Jim.

Let's get those Rutgers - Lafayette, Rutgers - Lehigh and Rutgers - Colgate games on the sked, then.