PDA

View Full Version : New Mexico State refused to play these FCS schools:

Lehigh Football Nation
February 11th, 2013, 12:05 PM
On 10/26, New Mexico State, an independent for 2013, scheduled D-II Abeline Christian, a school which is a D-II school for the final time in 2013.

In so doing, they scheduled over all the following FCS schools that, according to my schedules, have less than 12 games and have an opening on 10/26, the same date they put in ACU.

Northern Colorado
Portland State
Liberty
Albany
Bethune-Cookman *
FAMU *
Howard *
Morgan State *
NCAT *
South Carolina State *
Southern Illinois
Every NEC school *
Murray State
Fordham
Nicholls
McNeese State
UAPB
Jackson State
Mississippi Valley State
Prairie View A&M

For the MEAC, SWAC, and NEC schools it's fair to assume that there are potential conference games with those teams that might preclude a game with the Aggies. But that still leaves nine FCS schools that would count as a bowl counter, including two Southland schools that would be bus trips. Add the SWAC schools to the mix, too, and the number increases even more.

Laker
February 11th, 2013, 12:14 PM
On 10/26, New Mexico State, an independent for 2013, scheduled D-II Abeline Christian,

For the MEAC, SWAC, and NEC schools it's fair to assume that there are potential conference games with those teams that might preclude a game with the Lobos.

I believe that you mean the Aggies. The Lobos are New Mexico.

TheRevSFA
February 11th, 2013, 12:21 PM
ACU will actually take fans to Las Cruces though...those other schools won't

ASUMountaineer
February 11th, 2013, 12:22 PM
On 10/26, New Mexico State, an independent for 2013, scheduled D-II Abeline Christian, a school which is a D-II school for the final time in 2013.

In so doing, they scheduled over all the following FCS schools that, according to my schedules, have less than 12 games and have an opening on 10/26, the same date they put in ACU.

Northern Colorado
Portland State
Liberty
Albany
Bethune-Cookman *
FAMU *
Howard *
Morgan State *
NCAT *
South Carolina State *
Southern Illinois
Every NEC school *
Murray State
Fordham
Nicholls
McNeese State
UAPB
Jackson State
Mississippi Valley State
Prairie View A&M

For the MEAC, SWAC, and NEC schools it's fair to assume that there are potential conference games with those teams that might preclude a game with the Aggies. But that still leaves nine FCS schools that would count as a bowl counter, including two Southland schools that would be bus trips. Add the SWAC schools to the mix, too, and the number increases even more.

And, the point? Other than your apparent concern about NMSU football schedules?

DFW HOYA
February 11th, 2013, 12:28 PM
Yes, but it's not like Fordham or Albany or Howard could justify travel to a game in Las Cruces.

Most schools (even in the SLC) would rather not travel there.

nwFL Griz
February 11th, 2013, 12:32 PM
How do you know NMSU "refused" to play those FCS schools?

The following are not open on 10/26:

Portland St playing UND.
Bethune-Cookman playing SCSU.
Howard playing Morgan St
Nicholls playing McNeese
Jackson St playing PVAMU

Also, 10/26 is in the heart of conference scheduling or bye for most teams. I think it is safe to assume that those you have listed as possible are either filled or were not offered. You sometimes make blanket statements that just don't make sense. Especially in this case.

Dane96
February 11th, 2013, 12:53 PM
And how do you know New Mexico State "refused" to play these schools. I know Albany didn't call NMSU for a trip. I also know that Albany is scheduling in their interests as a first year CAA school.

bjtheflamesfan
February 11th, 2013, 12:58 PM
Libertyhas three conference games to slot into the schedule and will be hosting VMI the week following the date in question so I wouldnt be surprised if they put the bye week there instead of having to make a cross country trip while in the heat of the conference race to collect a paycheck

darell1976
February 11th, 2013, 01:02 PM
Are NMSU any sort of a rival to New Mexico or are they like long lost cousins who don't care about each other? I would think New Mexico could try to get NMSU into a conference with them. If not they could always go the FCS route like Idaho should do.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 11th, 2013, 01:05 PM
When was the last time an FBS school scheduled a sub-D-I opponent? More to the point, when was the last time an FBS school that was not transitioning from FCS played a sub-D-I opponent? You have to go back decades, that's the only thing I know for sure.

And it's not like there are NO possible games with FCS schools on 10/29 to have a bowl counter. Granted, it's a smaller number of schools than my master list, which I readily admit. But the number is not zero, either.

People are lauding NMSU with their "brave" 12 game schedule. But the truth is it has on it the first FBS vs. D-II matchup for (conservatively) at least a decade and most likely much longer. And this was done with at least several FCS schools available. Any way you try to spin this it doesn't look good for NMSU.

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 11th, 2013, 01:07 PM
I didn't see Lehigh or the PL in general listed. Time to head down to Las Cruces!!

Lehigh Football Nation
February 11th, 2013, 01:08 PM
How do you know NMSU "refused" to play those FCS schools?

The following are not open on 10/26:

Portland St playing UND.
Bethune-Cookman playing SCSU.
Howard playing Morgan St
Nicholls playing McNeese
Jackson St playing PVAMU

Also, 10/26 is in the heart of conference scheduling or bye for most teams. I think it is safe to assume that those you have listed as possible are either filled or were not offered. You sometimes make blanket statements that just don't make sense. Especially in this case.

With these nine schools out by your calculation, that still leaves 10 schools plus the entire NEC still in consideration.

lionsrking2
February 11th, 2013, 01:12 PM
But that still leaves nine FCS schools that would count as a bowl counter, including two Southland schools that would be bus trips.

I wouldn't exactly categorize Lake Charles (McNeese) or Thibodaux (Nicholls State) to El Paso/Las Cruces a "bus trip." It's 1,100 miles from Thibodaux and about 930 from Lake Charles.

I'm sure they scheduled ACU because they can probably get them to come for under $150K (maybe well under) and it is a doable bus trip at right at 500 miles. I doubt McNeese or Nicholls would go to NMSU for any less than $150K, if not more, not to mention they already have FBS games on the schedule.

grayghost06
February 11th, 2013, 01:20 PM
I realize that due to lack of conference and physical location, NMSU has a hard time filling out a football schedule. That said, a FBS team with a full allottment of 85 scholarships (presumeably D-I level, although questionable) should not be playing a school with 36 scholarship players who possess talent two levels down from them. Don't know if they are allowed to start recruiting more scholarship players for this coming season, but even if they are, most of them will be freshman. Even the worst of FBS should win by 8-9 touchdowns, despite playing their subs in the 2nd half.

UAalum72
February 11th, 2013, 01:22 PM
Albany isn't a counter for 2013; needing a two-year average of 56.7 rides, not until 2014 at least.

Laker
February 11th, 2013, 01:55 PM
Are NMSU any sort of a rival to New Mexico or are they like long lost cousins who don't care about each other? I would think New Mexico could try to get NMSU into a conference with them. If not they could always go the FCS route like Idaho should do.

I had read that New Mexico tried to get NMSU into the MWC. I would hope that would be where they would get in. I think that UTEP might be a rival, they are only a few miles apart.

laxVik
February 11th, 2013, 01:56 PM
Are NMSU any sort of a rival to New Mexico or are they like long lost cousins who don't care about each other? I would think New Mexico could try to get NMSU into a conference with them. If not they could always go the FCS route like Idaho should do.Yes there is a rivalry here between the two. More so in basketball. NMSU and UNM have stunk in FB for awhile (at least since Rocky Long left). Sad really as UNM is close to recruiting hotbeds and has a great stadium for the school's size. But as is typical the admin could careless about anything other than mens basketball.

PAllen
February 11th, 2013, 02:22 PM
Is Northern Colorado a counter? If so, they're about the only team on your list that remotely makes any sense.

TheRevSFA
February 11th, 2013, 02:37 PM
I hate to break it to you, but UTSA played sub D1 schools this year and they were part of the WAC. It happens...

ACU is transitioning and is a member of the SLC in 2013. This isn't like NMSU scheduled the Helen Keller School for the Deaf and Blind

ASUMountaineer
February 11th, 2013, 02:46 PM
When was the last time an FBS school scheduled a sub-D-I opponent? More to the point, when was the last time an FBS school that was not transitioning from FCS played a sub-D-I opponent? You have to go back decades, that's the only thing I know for sure.

And it's not like there are NO possible games with FCS schools on 10/29 to have a bowl counter. Granted, it's a smaller number of schools than my master list, which I readily admit. But the number is not zero, either. How do you know that NMSU, 1) did not reach out to this "smaller number of schools," and 2) how do you know those schools didn't turn down NMSU?

People are lauding NMSU with their "brave" 12 game schedule. But the truth is it has on it the first FBS vs. D-II matchup for (conservatively) at least a decade and most likely much longer. And this was done with at least several FCS schools available. Any way you try to spin this it doesn't look good for NMSU.

Who is "lauding" NMSU for their "brave" schedule? I don't know anyone trying to spin anything in NMSU's favor, as I know of no one who cares about NMSU--well, other than you, apparently.

ASUMountaineer
February 11th, 2013, 02:49 PM
I hate to break it to you, but UTSA played sub D1 schools this year and they were part of the WAC. It happens...

ACU is transitioning and is a member of the SLC in 2013. This isn't like NMSU scheduled the Helen Keller School for the Deaf and Blind

Don't you dare do that!

LFN either has a deep-seeded passion for NMSU or is going off on another anti-FBS rant.

asumike83
February 11th, 2013, 02:49 PM
It's the pitfall of being Independent in a remote location. I'm still shocked that Idaho came up with a full 12-game DI schedule.

I have no doubt that NMSU would have preferred to play a DI game but the FCS program has to agree, which means making it worth their while financially. NMSU struggles to put 15K in the stands, how much could they really offer a school to travel all the way out there from the East coast?

dgtw
February 11th, 2013, 02:50 PM
Is playing a team that is a bowl counter really an issue for a school that last played in a bowl game in the waning days of the Eisenhower administration?

Catatonic
February 11th, 2013, 02:51 PM

And it's not like there are NO possible games with FCS schools on 10/29 to have a bowl counter. Granted, it's a smaller number of schools than my master list, which I readily admit. But the number is not zero, either.

It is inaccurate to say ACU will be a D2 school for this season. We are competing as a D1 independent, before playing a Southland schedule next year.

Not sure D1 independent is very descriptive though. We are something of a leper hybrid while in transition from d2 to d1. In 2013 we are a non-counter for both D1 and D2 schools, offering too many scholarships for D2 but not yet at full FCS levels. We have had to scramble to find a schedule.

I think New Mexico State agreed to play us when the WAC dissolved around them and they were worried they might not find enough schools to fill their home schedule as an independent. Turns out they were able to put together a pretty good home schedule--Minnesota, Boston College, Rice, UTEP, Idaho and San Diego State in addition to ACU but most of these schools were arranged after they scheduled ACU.

And, yeah, I would say for a school that won one game last year, NMSU's overall schedule is indeed brave. Texas and UCLA away in addition to the two BCS schools they play at home. ACU is by far the weakest school on their schedule. Every school should be entitled to schedule at least one cupcake, although if I may cast modesty aside for a moment....even as a D2 team we were better than a lot of mediocre and bottom feeder FCS teams, as evidenced by our record on rare occasions when we played FCS opponents and the number of players we have placed in the NFL over the past five or six years.

dgtw
February 11th, 2013, 02:56 PM
In 1997, Division II North Alabama beat Division I-A Louisiana-Lafayette 48-42.

asumike83
February 11th, 2013, 03:14 PM
It's not like NMSU is the first school to ever play a home game that doesn't help bowl qualification. Florida State played Murray State and... Savannah State, just last season. Only one FCS game counts for bowl eligibility and realistically, what's the difference between ACU and SSU? Very little, if any. Hell, I'd probably put my money on ACU if they played head-to-head.

Plus, look at who else they got at home: Minnesota, Boston College, UTEP, Rice, San Diego State and Idaho. 7 home games, 2 BCS opponents. No question, they got dealt a crap hand when the WAC folded but they're doing the best they can. I could care less about NMSU football but if I were a fan, I'd be pretty happy with that home slate, all things considered.

nwFL Griz
February 11th, 2013, 03:16 PM
With these nine schools out by your calculation, that still leaves 10 schools plus the entire NEC still in consideration.

Again, you are making an assumption that those 10+NEC aren't full up, just because you don't have a game listed for them yet. I mean, I just basically cut your list in half, with a cursory glance. I think a safer assumption is that most of those schools are full, or chasing a home game to finish their schedules. Especially because 10/26 is in the heart of conference scheduling.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 11th, 2013, 03:58 PM
Again, you are making an assumption that those 10+NEC aren't full up, just because you don't have a game listed for them yet. I mean, I just basically cut your list in half, with a cursory glance. I think a safer assumption is that most of those schools are full, or chasing a home game to finish their schedules. Especially because 10/26 is in the heart of conference scheduling.

I agree wholeheartedly that it's a safe assumption that many of the schools have conference games to deal with, but not all the schools I listed did.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 11th, 2013, 04:01 PM
Not sure D1 independent is very descriptive though. We are something of a leper hybrid while in transition from d2 to d1. In 2013 we are a non-counter for both D1 and D2 schools, offering too many scholarships for D2 but not yet at full FCS levels. We have had to scramble to find a schedule.

Welcome aboard, and looking forward to 2014 when you're transitioning to D-I. I believe your schedule is loaded with D-II schools that were already agreed to, making you guys "D-II transitional", technically. I don't think you guys are allowed to play in the D-II playoffs.

Catatonic
February 11th, 2013, 04:11 PM
Welcome aboard, and looking forward to 2014 when you're transitioning to D-I. I believe your schedule is loaded with D-II schools that were already agreed to, making you guys "D-II transitional", technically. I don't think you guys are allowed to play in the D-II playoffs.

Rumor is we will play 5 D1 and 5 D2 schools. We are orphan lepers whoxconfusedx aren't allowed to play in either FCS or D2 playoffs.

TheRevSFA
February 11th, 2013, 05:26 PM

Yet they could beat the entire Pioneer League and most of the patriot league and half of the slc and big south. They are far from a slouch and could beat NMSU

Catatonic
February 11th, 2013, 05:36 PM
Thanks, Rev and others for the props.

Last time we played an FCS team was in 2007 against then 19th ranked Texas State.
Abilene Christian vs #19 Texas State (Sep 08, 2007 at San Marcos, Texas)

Abilene Christian (1-1) vs. Texas State (1-1)
Date: Sep 08, 2007 Site: San Marcos, Texas Stadium: Bobcat Stadium
Attendance: 12726

Score by Quarters 1 2 3 4 Score
----------------- -- -- -- -- -----
Abilene Christian... 14 14 10 7 - 45
Texas State......... 0 0 14 13 - 27

TheRevSFA
February 11th, 2013, 06:37 PM
I'm a fan of ACU. I am excited for you to move up

I also tell the skeptics to go visit your campus. It's gorgeous

Laker
February 11th, 2013, 06:47 PM

xthumbsupx Yep, people shouldn't go ripping on another team before they have even seen them play.

Nickels
February 11th, 2013, 10:55 PM

ACU is the only school out of the newbies I expect to be competitive immediately. I think the rest will be battling Lamar and Nicholls in the cellar for the next few years. I HATE THE NEW SCHEDULING. It's going to be like the Big Sky. F'n awful.

Catatonic
February 12th, 2013, 05:34 AM
ACU is the only school out of the newbies I expect to be competitive immediately. I think the rest will be battling Lamar and Nicholls in the cellar for the next few years. I HATE THE NEW SCHEDULING. It's going to be like the Big Sky. F'n awful.

I hope we live up to your expectations. I am less confident though, at least in the short term.

Teams in transition from D2 to D1 are handicapped in that they are ineligible for playoff consideration for 4 years. Kids want to compete for championships. The four year ban makes it tough to recruit on an equal basis with schools who have at least a shot at the playoffs. Transitional status is somewhat like schools under NCAA post season sanctions for rules violations who are ineligible for bowls or playoffs, except we have broken no rules.

First year transition schools face an additional challenge: We don't count in the playoff formula for either D2 or D1 FCS or FBS teams. So, we are forced to play a patch work schedule against a limited number of teams that will agree to play us and we have no prospect of a post season play. Kind of makes it tough to recruit kids to come to a dusty West Texas town like Abilene.

Once we get beyond all these constraints, I do think we will be competitive. But the journey may be a bit bumpy.

Libertine
February 12th, 2013, 08:19 AM

Northern Colorado
Portland State
Liberty

At the risk of humoring an obvious troll post, Liberty is not open on 10/26.

Nickels
February 12th, 2013, 08:23 AM
I hope we live up to your expectations. I am less confident though, at least in the short term.

Teams in transition from D2 to D1 are handicapped in that they are ineligible for playoff consideration for 4 years. Kids want to compete for championships. The four year ban makes it tough to recruit on an equal basis with schools who have at least a shot at the playoffs. Transitional status is somewhat like schools under NCAA post season sanctions for rules violations who are ineligible for bowls or playoffs, except we have broken no rules.

First year transition schools face an additional challenge: We don't count in the playoff formula for either D2 or D1 FCS or FBS teams. So, we are forced to play a patch work schedule against a limited number of teams that will agree to play us and we have no prospect of a post season play. Kind of makes it tough to recruit kids to come to a dusty West Texas town like Abilene.

Once we get beyond all these constraints, I do think we will be competitive. But the journey may be a bit bumpy.
Wow, I didn't know most of this. You gotta love NCAA logic. 4 year playoff ban? That's absurd.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 12th, 2013, 09:19 AM
At the risk of humoring an obvious troll post, Liberty is not open on 10/26.

So who is on the Liberty schedule? Monmouth?

FormerPokeCenter
February 12th, 2013, 10:54 AM

Famously, the University of Louisiana at Lafayette got blasted by North Alabama in the late 90's....15 years ago...that's not exactly going back decades.....

Moreover, a bus ride from New Mexico to a Southland Conference School?

You're apparently NOT aware of the distances involved in traveling from one end of Texas to the other....the closest SLC schools to New Mexico would be SFA, SHSU and Lamar, who are in extreme east Texas...It would be at least a 12 hour bus ride....if they played McNeese, Northwestern or - heaven forbid SELA or Nicholls, the ride would be much, much longer....

ASUMountaineer
February 12th, 2013, 10:55 AM
It's not like NMSU is the first school to ever play a home game that doesn't help bowl qualification. Florida State played Murray State and... Savannah State, just last season. Only one FCS game counts for bowl eligibility and realistically, what's the difference between ACU and SSU? Very little, if any. Hell, I'd probably put my money on ACU if they played head-to-head.

Plus, look at who else they got at home: Minnesota, Boston College, UTEP, Rice, San Diego State and Idaho. 7 home games, 2 BCS opponents. No question, they got dealt a crap hand when the WAC folded but they're doing the best they can. I could care less about NMSU football but if I were a fan, I'd be pretty happy with that home slate, all things considered.

I used that exact logic with LFN earlier and he called me a liar. xeyebrowx

chrisattsu
February 12th, 2013, 11:10 AM

Don't forget that Division I UTSA lost to Divison III McMurry in 2011.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 12th, 2013, 11:17 AM
It's the pitfall of being Independent in a remote location. I'm still shocked that Idaho came up with a full 12-game DI schedule.

I have no doubt that NMSU would have preferred to play a DI game but the FCS program has to agree, which means making it worth their while financially. NMSU struggles to put 15K in the stands, how much could they really offer a school to travel all the way out there from the East coast?

How hard did they try? That's a serious, and not a snarky, question. I don't think Prairie View A&M (who still has a vacancy in their schedule on that date according to my site) would cost that much more that ACU for the Aggies and would count towards bowl eligibility. The Aggies are setting themselves up for a brave new world of humiliation if they become the first FBS school in 15 years to lose to a D-II school, and as many are pointing out here, ACU probably will field a much better team than PVAM this season and might actually be favored. They also will have nothing to lose.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 12th, 2013, 11:20 AM
For those looking at UTSA in 2011, that does not count since they were considered an FCS transitional school in the eyes of the NCAA. USF (and, more recently, South Alabama) similarly had a one-year start in FCS before being considered "full" FBS members.

TheRevSFA
February 12th, 2013, 11:26 AM
How hard did they try? That's a serious, and not a snarky, question. I don't think Prairie View A&M (who still has a vacancy in their schedule on that date according to my site) would cost that much more that ACU for the Aggies and would count towards bowl eligibility. The Aggies are setting themselves up for a brave new world of humiliation if they become the first FBS school in 15 years to lose to a D-II school, and as many are pointing out here, ACU probably will field a much better team than PVAM this season and might actually be favored. They also will have nothing to lose.

NMSU is a perennial bottom feeder, how much more humiliated could they be?

and to your UTSA, point..before 2011, when was the last time a Division 1 school lost to a D3 school before UTSA was McMurried?

Catatonic
February 12th, 2013, 12:30 PM

Prairie View plays Jackson State on Oct. 26, the day of the NMSU and ACU game.

nwFL Griz
February 12th, 2013, 12:30 PM

Good god dude, do you not understand that your site is not the be-all, end-all of FCS scheduling? Hell, PVAMU announced over a week ago and you still don't have it up. They are not open on 10/26, as I stated earlier, they are playing a conference game on that date. Please, just stop this. You are wrong here.

asumike83
February 12th, 2013, 12:32 PM

Your guess is as good as mine. I just can't imagine a scenario where an FBS program would schedule a sub-DI opponent if it was not the absolute last resort. They'd have nothing to gain from a win and as you mention, a loss would be devastating to any chance they have at getting out of the FBS cellar.

Libertine
February 12th, 2013, 03:33 PM
So who is on the Liberty schedule? Monmouth?

I won't comment on the overall schedule until it's released. I will say that 10/26 is a conference game.

citdog
February 12th, 2013, 03:38 PM
I won't comment on the overall schedule until it's released. I will say that 10/26 is a conference game.

if you divulged it three people would be pissed i guess......father, son, and holy ghost.

also jerry

Bisonoline
February 12th, 2013, 04:06 PM

Why do you care?

nwFL Griz
February 12th, 2013, 05:23 PM
With UAPB announcing today, you can remove UAPB and MVSU as two more candidates from your list.

ASUMountaineer
February 13th, 2013, 02:51 PM
Prairie View plays Jackson State on Oct. 26, the day of the NMSU and ACU game.

Whoops! xlolx