View Full Version : Death of the Southern Conference

Beauregard
February 9th, 2013, 09:18 AM
With Georgia Southern leaving the SOC and App State to follow can the SOC now claim to be the best FCS football conference in the south? I say no!

The SOC won’t get much by adding ETSU or Kennesaw (both have to start football up). I think now the OVC can make the claim as being the best FCS Football conference in the south. That being said I know our last three games with SOC teams were terrible (Furman and Wofford). Those were embarrassing losses. Georgia Southern and App State made the other teams in the conference recruit better. Same with no playoff wins for any of the OVC schools. We haven’t exactly been were we wanted to be since leaving the GSC. But that could change given time.

What if the SOC had added JSU instead of Samford. Samford brought nothing to the SOC except being a private school. I also think this is a key. The SOC is now a private school conference. They might even bring VMI back in. VMI left in order to down grade football. This might have actually been one of the more significant down falls of the SOC. Adding Samford instead of trying to get JSU might have been there biggest mistake (back to the private school issue). The geographic make-up of the SOC would be have been better for our travel and made for great rivalries.

Will UTC leave the SOC, maybe moving to the Sunbelt? I doubt it. They might leave for the OVC though.

Yes I am a Jax State Fan.:)

OL FU
February 9th, 2013, 11:48 AM
With Georgia Southern leaving the SOC and App State to follow can the SOC now claim to be the best FCS football conference in the south? I say no!

The SOC won’t get much by adding ETSU or Kennesaw (both have to start football up). I think now the OVC can make the claim as being the best FCS Football conference in the south. That being said I know our last three games with SOC teams were terrible (Furman and Wofford). Those were embarrassing losses. Georgia Southern and App State made the other teams in the conference recruit better. Same with no playoff wins for any of the OVC schools. We haven’t exactly been were we wanted to be since leaving the GSC. But that could change given time.

What if the SOC had added JSU instead of Samford. Samford brought nothing to the SOC except being a private school. I also think this is a key. The SOC is now a private school conference. They might even bring VMI back in. VMI left in order to down grade football. This might have actually been one of the more significant down falls of the SOC. Adding Samford instead of trying to get JSU might have been there biggest mistake (back to the private school issue). The geographic make-up of the SOC would be have been better for our travel and made for great rivalries.

Will UTC leave the SOC, maybe moving to the Sunbelt? I doubt it. They might leave for the OVC though.

Yes I am a Jax State Fan.:)

xzzzzx