PDA

View Full Version : Rhett Bomar to SHSU

beerkat
August 28th, 2006, 12:33 PM
it's official....

http://www.gobearkats.com/football/bomar.html

griz&beer
August 28th, 2006, 12:42 PM
I hope he works out for you guys. Can he play this year?

ISUMatt
August 28th, 2006, 12:49 PM
yes he can

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 28th, 2006, 12:53 PM
I think Bomar will be a great QB at the 1-AA level. I'm not high on 1-A to 1-AA transfer like some people are. I think they're often overrated a little and can screw up chemistry. However, i think Bomar is the real deal and decided to go to a place where he had his heart set on. The two best QB's i can think of recently that jumped down from 1-A to a lower level are Ingle Martin and Dusty Bonner to D2 Valdosta St. Bomar could be better than both.

wannabegaucho
August 28th, 2006, 12:54 PM
For everybody's sake, I hope he has a good career for SHSU.

Nyghtewynd
August 28th, 2006, 12:58 PM
I hope he's playing by mid-September so the Bears can break him in half.

;)

CollegeSportsInfo
August 28th, 2006, 12:59 PM
I think he has the potential to be a great pickup for SHSU. Hopefully the issues he dealt with anre in the past for good and he will be a model student athlete for your squad. Best of luck this year and beyond!

TexasTerror
August 28th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Lots of discussion already over on KatFans.com where lots of folks from various universities that were mentioned in the process and all of our foes in the SLC are coming over for discussion and just to 'lurk' around...

http://www.katfans.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2

Frosty The Snowbuff
August 28th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Here we go again:rotateh: .

Grizo406
August 28th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Looks like it is a VERY good get for the Kats.

What other schools did he look at before deciding on SHSU?

ChickenMan
August 28th, 2006, 01:38 PM
The two best QB's i can think of recently that jumped down from 1-A to a lower level are Ingle Martin and Dusty Bonner to D2 Valdosta St.

Andy Hall didn't do too bad after transfering to UD...

kats89
August 28th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Looks like it is a VERY good get for the Kats.

What other schools did he look at before deciding on SHSU?

Reported and rumored.......

TCU, Univ of Houston, North Texas, Illinois St, Stephen F Austin, Tx State-San Marcos xcoffeex

I was VERY skeptical that this would happen, but it is a great pickup. Still with two or three years of elgibility, he could possibly light up some passing records at Sam Houston. Keeping the fingers crossed.

kats89
August 28th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Here we go again:rotateh: .

Meaning?:eyebrow:

MSUBear42
August 28th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Dang it!! At least I get to see him when he comes to Springfield on Sept. 23.

eaglesrthe1
August 28th, 2006, 02:29 PM
I hope he works out for you guys. Can he play this year?

Pending reinstatement by the NCAA. I would be surprised if he did.

Grizo406
August 28th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Reported and rumored.......

TCU, Univ of Houston, North Texas, Illinois St, Stephen F Austin, Tx State-San Marcos xcoffeex

I was VERY skeptical that this would happen, but it is a great pickup. Still with two or three years of elgibility, he could possibly light up some passing records at Sam Houston. Keeping the fingers crossed.

Thanks, kats89.

I don't doubt for a second that he'll make you guy's proud. I'd love to get the Kats back in Washington/Grizzly in the post season...great fans!

blackfordpu
August 28th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Thanks, kats89.

I don't doubt for a second that he'll make you guy's proud. I'd love to get the Kats back in Washington/Grizzly in the post season...great fans!

Why don't you guys come back to Huntsville?:D

LBPop
August 28th, 2006, 03:15 PM
I can't believe nobody has asked the big question: "Are there any Alum owned car dealerships in the area?" ;)

Sorry, guys...I just had to do it. :D

Grizo406
August 28th, 2006, 03:17 PM
Why don't you guys come back to Huntsville?:D

'Cause we want to introduce Mr. Bomar to Tuff Harris up here!xlolx :nod: ;)

Ivytalk
August 28th, 2006, 05:24 PM
I can't believe nobody has asked the big question: "Are there any Alum owned car dealerships in the area?" ;)

Dang it, Pop, you beat me to the punch again!!xlolx xlolx

"By the way, Rhett, can you put me in a nice new Lincoln? Rhett? RHETT?? Oh, I forgot...he's already punched out for the day!"

TxSt02
August 28th, 2006, 05:33 PM
For everybody's sake, I hope he has a good career for SHSU.

not for our sake...

Sam_Kats
August 28th, 2006, 05:40 PM
Oh yeah, baby!! Welcome to Sam, Rhett

:hurray: :rotateh: :hurray:

goasu984Life
August 28th, 2006, 05:43 PM
I just saw this on ESPN.com. Good for Sam Houston State, I guess.

eaglesrthe1
August 28th, 2006, 06:10 PM

I could see some student sections having some fun with his situation during some of the road games.;)

kats89
August 28th, 2006, 06:38 PM
It doesnt really matter what is said. Some in the local media outlets are thinking he might get a 5 or 6 game suspension. There are kids that have done a lot more and gotten lighter penalties.

According to katfans.com, he was already in a black jersey and practice uniform with the rest of the team this afternoon at practice. Not wasting any time.:thumbsup:

blackfordpu
August 28th, 2006, 06:40 PM
It doesnt really matter what is said. Some in the local media outlets are thinking he might get a 5 or 6 game suspension. There are kids that have done a lot more and gotten lighter penalties.

According to katfans.com, he was already in a black jersey and practice uniform with the rest of the team this afternoon at practice. Not wasting any time.:thumbsup:

Any news on a number. Is it going to be #7?

Sly Fox
August 28th, 2006, 06:57 PM
I was at practice and we weren't anticpating him being on the field. Then all of sudden he walks right by me in a #7 jersey. We had video on our 6pm sportscast on Channel 2. We'll have more and sound from Coach at ten.

For the record, he just sort of threw the ball around in shorts and QB jersey until he was told to wait another day to practice.

Frosty The Snowbuff
August 28th, 2006, 06:59 PM
Meaning?:eyebrow:

Remember Dustin Long???:D

LBPop
August 28th, 2006, 08:09 PM
"By the way, Rhett, can you put me in a nice new Lincoln? Rhett? RHETT?? Oh, I forgot...he's already punched out for the day!"
And the Crimson get in the first shot...xlolx:hurray::beerchug:

AppGuy04
August 28th, 2006, 08:16 PM
any word on when he will actually be eligible to start playing?

kats89
August 28th, 2006, 08:19 PM
[QUOTE=Frosty The Snowbuff]Remember Dustin Long???:D[/QUOTE

Yep, just funnin!!!:rotateh: It definitely does make things really interesting in the SLC now.

kats89
August 28th, 2006, 08:23 PM
And the Crimson get in the first shot...xlolx:hurray::beerchug:

Hey, he will have to live with that the rest of his college career. He will just have to do his talking on the field.

Here is an interesting tidbit. Dave Campbell's Texas Football Magazine has been around for over 50 years now. One of our Kat Faithful posted this on katfans.com regarding high school football coverboys on their magazine....

Went to my library and pulled out some old copies of Dave Campbells Texas Football.... Check this out!

Dave Campbells 2003 Texas Football- 5A Coverboy for Texas High School Football - Rhett Bomar-Grand Prarie HS

Dave Campbells 2002 Texas Football- 4A Coverboy for Texas High School Football - Phillip Daugherty-Bridgeport HS

Dave Campbells 2002 Texas Football- 2A Coverboy for Texas High School Football - Wade Pate - Arp, HS

On top of that Brett Hicks- Rated one of the top QB's in the state in Dave Campbells 2002.

SHSU now has some of the top talent the state has produced in recent years!

Wade Pate is our current starter, Phillip Daugherty current #2 and Brett Hicks current #3. Then throw in Bomar.

Ronbo
August 28th, 2006, 08:39 PM
I'm still wondering as I did several months ago. How are all these All American HS QB's going to be kept happy when only one will play?????

kats89
August 28th, 2006, 09:07 PM
I'm still wondering as I did several months ago. How are all these All American HS QB's going to be kept happy when only one will play?????

Exactly!!:nod: It is pretty sick the number of talented QB's in the state, and there are a lot more that are even better.

McNeese75
August 28th, 2006, 09:24 PM
I could see some student sections having some fun with his situation during some of the road games.;)

Might give key jingling a whole new meaning :D

http://wc.arizona.edu/papers/96/26/02_2_1.jpg

GeauxColonels
August 28th, 2006, 09:33 PM
Might give key jingling a whole new meaning :D

http://wc.arizona.edu/papers/96/26/02_2_1.jpg
Definitely....all you SLCers out there, start thinking of those clever signs to bring to the game.

I know at Nicholls, the students and band are right behind the away team and constantly hassle the opposing players...what about you other teams?

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 28th, 2006, 09:38 PM
Andy Hall didn't do too bad after transfering to UD...

Yeah but he didn't have the hype. I was talking more about the high profile transfers.

TexasTerror
August 28th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Remember Dustin Long???:D

Or Josh McCown... :thumbsup:

Or Chris Chaloupka... :hurray:

Then again, remember Noah Allen, Vance Smith and Luke Huard? :bang:

kats89
August 29th, 2006, 05:59 AM
Then again, remember Noah Allen, Vance Smith and Luke Huard?

Huard never stepped on the field for us. Smith should have never stepped on the field for us. Allen wasted his chance by trying to gain an edge. Too bad, he has all the talent in the world.

kats89
August 29th, 2006, 06:03 AM
Here is article from the local rag in Huntsville.....

It’s official: Bomar is a Bearkat

Quarterback enrolls at SHSU, ready to get back on the field

Cody Stark
Assistant Sports Editor

Former Oklahoma quarterback Rhett Bomar officially enrolled at Sam Houston State on Monday and was on hand in the afternoon to watch his first practice as a Bearkat.

Bomar, who was dismissed from the Sooners program because of an NCAA violation a few weeks ago, is still waiting for word about a possible suspension, but he should be able to begin practice this week.

The decision to transfer to an NCAA Division I-AA program means Bomar will not have to sit out a year, which was a major factor in his choice.

“It was a tough decision. I considered everything — Division I, Division I-AA and things like that — but based on waiting for the NCAA to make a decision, I just wanted to play some football this year,” Bomar said. “I thought I was going to be able to come out today and throw it around, but we wanted to make sure it was OK first.

“But I like Sam Houston State and coach (Todd) Whitten is a great guy. I like the offense and the players around here. I think we have a chance to win.”

Bomar was kicked off the OU team after an internal investigation revealed he violated an NCAA rule by receiving payment for more work than he actually performed at a car dealership in Norman, Okla.

He started 11 games for the Sooners as a redshirt freshman last year, and set an Oklahoma freshman record for passing yards (2,018) in a season.

Bomar considered transferring to several universities, including the University of Houston, Stephen F. Austin and North Texas, but in the end, SHSU was the school that landed the nation’s No. 1 recruit in 2004.

“Its been a long, long process and it was important that (Bomar) make the right decision this time,” Whitten. “I’m glad that it fell our way. It was a very competitive thing; I-AAs all over the country were involved, and we are glad that we were able to get him to come here. He is a good young man that makes good grades and is a good football player. He isn’t perfect and has made some mistakes.

“You can’t go around giving 100 percent of the players second and third chances, but as educators, it is our job to evaluate the situation and make a good decision. When you can give someone a second chance, I think that is a good thing.”

Bomar could play this season, depending on how severe the NCAA decides to come down on him for the violation. There are several steps in the process of getting Bomar eligible to play which are currently under way.

Bearkat athletic director Bobby Williams said the school was waiting on Oklahoma to send information about its investigation, so SHSU could conduct its own. Once that happens, Williams will contact the NCAA about Bomar’s reinstatement and forward all the information to them.

“We have to look at all the information and find out what actually happened,” Williams said. “We are waiting to hear from Oklahoma, so we can conduct our own investigation. Oklahoma still has to deal with it from their standpoint, and since (Bomar) enrolled here, we know have to deal with it from ours.

“Once we get all the information together, we will send it to the NCAA and ask for reinstatement. We figure the suspension will be probably half the season.”

SHSU has a history of successful transfer quarterbacks. Josh McCown transferred from Southern Methodist and led the Kats to a Southland Conference title in 2001. He also was selected in the third round of the NFL Draft by the Arizona Cardinals and is currently playing for the Detroit Lions.

Dustin Long also led SHSU to a conference title and into the semifinals of the I-AA playoffs in 2004. He set an SLC single-season record for passing yards (4,588) and touchdowns (39).

“You look at those two guys and see all the success they had in just one year,” Bomar said. “I could play this year and then would have two more years at Sam. They had a lot of success, and it was in basically this same system. That was something I looked at when I was making my decision.”

Bomar, who played at Grand Prairie High School, is ready to put the past where it belongs and concentrate on turning around a team that went 3-7 a year ago. He knows what he did in Oklahoma was wrong, but just wants a chance to get back on the field and prove what he can do.

And he is glad to finally get that opportunity.

“I’m going to come out here ready to play, and I want to win. Hopefully, I can give these guys a chance to win,” Bomar said. “That is what I’m looking to do. I know this isn’t Oklahoma, but I have been there and I made a mistake. It’s my fault and I have no one to blame but myself.

“I’m looking forward to a second chance and the opportunity to come here. I just want to play some football and win.”

xcoffeex

TexasTerror
August 29th, 2006, 07:10 AM
“I’m looking forward to a second chance and the opportunity to come here. I just want to play some football and win.”

We're all hoping your ready to win! :hurray:

For many in the Bearkat nation, I don't think there's been as many exciting non-game day happenings in the history of the Bearkat athletic program...

OL FU
August 29th, 2006, 07:17 AM
Keep us posted on when he becomes eligible

Killtoppers90
August 29th, 2006, 08:25 AM
Great pickup for SHSU. Now this only makes them more of a contender in the future.

exbearkat
August 29th, 2006, 09:18 AM
From what I'm hearing, Bomar will most likely be suspended by the NCAA for about half the season. The good news is that he should be eligible to practice during this time, and thus, will be able to learn the offense by the time he's cleared to actually play in a game.

The best news of all for SH fans is the fact that at worst Bomar will have two full years to rewrite the record books for the Kats. :beerchug:

TexasTerror
August 29th, 2006, 09:28 AM
Would be nice if Rhett Bomar's first appearance is my first appearance at a Kats game this year...Homecoming against Nicholls St!

Brent
August 29th, 2006, 09:35 AM
Hey, he will have to live with that the rest of his college career. He will just have to do his talking on the field.

Here is an interesting tidbit. Dave Campbell's Texas Football Magazine has been around for over 50 years now. One of our Kat Faithful posted this on katfans.com regarding high school football coverboys on their magazine....

Went to my library and pulled out some old copies of Dave Campbells Texas Football.... Check this out!

Dave Campbells 2003 Texas Football- 5A Coverboy for Texas High School Football - Rhett Bomar-Grand Prarie HS

Dave Campbells 2002 Texas Football- 4A Coverboy for Texas High School Football - Phillip Daugherty-Bridgeport HS

Dave Campbells 2002 Texas Football- 2A Coverboy for Texas High School Football - Wade Pate - Arp, HS

On top of that Brett Hicks- Rated one of the top QB's in the state in Dave Campbells 2002.

SHSU now has some of the top talent the state has produced in recent years!

Wade Pate is our current starter, Phillip Daugherty current #2 and Brett Hicks current #3. Then throw in Bomar.

Wait a second, I have all The DCTF magazines for the past 20 years none of your guys are on any covers. The correct saying is they are on the 5A, 4A, 3A pages inside the magazine, not covers.

DCTF Magazine Covers
2005 - VY and Reggie McNeil

2004 - Duckett from Tech, Kolb from Houston, Cobbs from UNT and some TCU player

2003 - Roy Williams from Texas

2002 - Kliff Kingsbury from Tech, Emmitt Smith, Drew Tate and G.A. Moore.

AppGuy04
August 29th, 2006, 09:38 AM
Got Bomar in our I-AA fantasy league!! Here's hoping he plays soon!

dirtbag
August 29th, 2006, 09:58 AM

Sam Houston's visit to UT on 9/30 just got somewhat interesting.

And by "interesting," I'm not talking about "suspenseful-interesting," I'm talking about "train-wreck interesting."

blackfordpu
August 29th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Sam Houston's visit to UT on 9/30 just got somewhat interesting.

And by "interesting," I'm not talking about "suspenseful-interesting," I'm talking about "train-wreck interesting."

I don't see why, he most likely will not play in that game.

blackfordpu
August 29th, 2006, 10:53 AM
How cool is it to see Sam Houston State on a top story on ESPN.com?!:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Ex-Sooners QB Bomar enrolls at Sam Houston State

HUNTSVILLE, Texas -- Dismissed Oklahoma quarterback Rhett Bomar has enrolled at Division I-AA Sam Houston State, but coach Todd Whitten told ESPN's Joe Schad after practice on Monday night that he did not expect Bomar would be eligible to play before midseason at the earliest.

Whitten said he would also hold Bomar out of practice until he was given paperwork by the NCAA indicating the quarterback was cleared to work with the team.

"This is a great player, a top-five recruit coming out of high school," Whitten said. "This is a good kid and a good student who has admitted a mistake. I'm honored to give him a second chance. He is very thankful and remorseful and I don't believe he will make these mistakes again."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2564015

OL FU
August 29th, 2006, 10:54 AM
I understand the excitement. Believe me I do.
But does anybody at Sam Houston think maybe you should have passed him up?

I believe in second chances but this is one of the top recruits in the country, goes to a top football school in the country, flagrantly violates the rules. Gets kicked off that top football team.

Any one have other thoughts than yippee.
I know I am sounding critical and that is not what is intended. I am just curious if there are other reactions.

and yes, I realize this is not the worse thing football players have done.

dirtbag
August 29th, 2006, 12:47 PM
How cool is it to see Sam Houston State on a top story on ESPN.com?!:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Ex-Sooners QB Bomar enrolls at Sam Houston State

Maybe now that John Mark Carr has been released by the Colorado police, you should try to hire him as an assistant coach. That will also probably get you a top story on ESPN.com.

dirtbag
August 29th, 2006, 12:48 PM
I don't see why, he most likely will not play in that game.

There's a chance. And even if he never leaves the sidelines, the entire crowd will be chanting BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWW-MAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRR! all afternoon.

Retro
August 29th, 2006, 12:53 PM
The fact that he intentionally took money he didn't earn, a large amount at that, tells me that he may be tempted to push his luck in an even a lesser spotlight.

The problem with SHS is that this is all they do.. They depend on these big name transfers to come in and make them a winning program. They should focus more on building depth year after year instead of waiting for someone to fall into their lap.. Even with players like McCown and Long they still have not reached the Finals. They also have little else around these QB's to help them... When they had Long in 2004, they still almost lost to the worst Mcneese team in history at Huntsville and gave up 47 pts..:thumbsup:

Bomar may do well for them, but by the time they give him a supporting cast, he'll leave for the NFL if he pans out and in the mean time he'll be serving a 5-6 game suspension minimum.. By then, the season may be in the tank.:bawling:

dirtbag
August 29th, 2006, 01:02 PM

I don't. I think it's perfect for all parties involved.

Sam Houston needed a shot in the arm in a bad way, needed something to be excited about, and needed something to get them publicity, and Bomar gives them that.

Meanwhile, Bomar gets just desserts. The guy was once a five-star QB who turned down the big schools in his home state and publicly dissed Mack Brown several times (with his dad), and he has had several issues at OU, culminating with him ruining what was a perfect situation for him.

Now he's stuck spending his college years on a piddly commuter campus in a town whose biggest claim to fame is executing criminals, playing in front of smaller crowds than he saw in high school. Maybe his jackass dad, who gave up a 5A job in DFW to take a 3A job near the Oklahoma border so he could be nearer to OU can hook on with a 1A school in the Huntsville area, too.

This sounds like an episode of My Name Is Earl.

dirtbag
August 29th, 2006, 02:59 PM

http://members.cox.net/dugger3/bomarjob.jpg

AppGuy04
August 29th, 2006, 03:00 PM

Sam Houston needed a shot in the arm in a bad way, needed something to be excited about, and needed something to get them publicity, and Bomar gives them that.

Meanwhile, Bomar gets just desserts. The guy was once a five-star QB who turned down the big schools in his home state and publicly dissed Mack Brown several times (with his dad), and he has had several issues at OU, culminating with him ruining what was a perfect situation for him.

Now he's stuck spending his college years on a piddly commuter campus in a town whose biggest claim to fame is executing criminals, playing in front of smaller crowds than he saw in high school. Maybe his jackass dad, who gave up a 5A job in DFW to take a 3A job near the Oklahoma border so he could be nearer to OU can hook on with a 1A school in the Huntsville area, too.

or maybe I-AA should be above all the drama that a kid like this brings

Ivytalk
August 29th, 2006, 03:45 PM
http://members.cox.net/dugger3/bomarjob.jpg

Dirtbag, you're on a roll today!:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

blackfordpu
August 29th, 2006, 05:59 PM

Sounds like you have deeper problems dirtbag. I take offense to your comment about my school.

Yes, we landed a huge transfer but we are not the only I-AA school that does this. Anyone who says otherwise is a hypocrite!

Lionsrking
August 29th, 2006, 09:38 PM

I believe in second chances but this is one of the top recruits in the country, goes to a top football school in the country, flagrantly violates the rules. Gets kicked off that top football team.

I know I am sounding critical and that is not what is intended. I am just curious if there are other reactions.

It's not my place to say whether Sam Houston should have taken Bomar or not. Obviously they feel like he's worth it and their program will be better off in the long run. My only question is if he gets just a five or six game suspension, what happens if they get off to a decent start and either Pate or Daugherty is playing well up to that point? Do they continue to go with the hot hand and Bomar continues to sit, or do they rock the boat and start him the first game back? Sounds like potential disaster waiting to happen to me.

Lionsrking
August 29th, 2006, 09:38 PM

It's not my place to say whether Sam Houston should have taken Bomar or not. Obviously they feel like he's worth it and their program will be better off in the long run. My only question is if he gets just a five or six game suspension, what happens if they get off to a decent start and either Pate or Daugherty is playing well up to that point? Do they continue to go with the hot hand and Bomar continues to sit, or do they rock the boat and start him the first game back? Sounds like potential disaster waiting to happen to me.

blackfordpu
August 29th, 2006, 10:04 PM

I think all Bearkat fans are expecting him to have to earn the job as starting QB just like anyone else would. He will start because he is the best QB on the roster, not because of who he is.

kats89
August 29th, 2006, 11:08 PM

If, if, if. never know unless it happens. My guess is though that we will still be rotating QB's by midseason. No one seems like they can separate themselves from the pack to take the job. RB really upgrades the position!!!!!:nod:

kats89
August 29th, 2006, 11:26 PM

Look up the definition of jackass and your name and picture would be beside it. You can all sit and speculate. If Bomar had contacted your school to join your program, he would be the next best thing to sliced bread. And dont lie. Also, your alias name on this board fits you well.

The problem with SHS is that this is all they do.. They depend on these big name transfers to come in and make them a winning program. They should focus more on building depth year after year instead of waiting for someone to fall into their lap.. Even with players like McCown and Long they still have not reached the Finals. They also have little else around these QB's to help them... When they had Long in 2004, they still almost lost to the worst Mcneese team in history at Huntsville and gave up 47 pts

And Retro, I am completely disappointed in you. I will put you in the JACKASS column with the moron quoted above. Oh, I forget, McNeese is the stellar program in the I-AA world.(not!): smh : You dont know crap about our program. Just another fool voicing his uneducated opinion from the cheap seats. Let's not forget, of course the McNeese fans will make all kinds of excuses, your school attempted to give Cecil "the Diesel" Collins a second chance, he just chose not to take advantage. Oh, and like you have reached the finals EVERY YEAR! You got lucky one year, whoopee!! McNeese has had its success, but you aint no Montana, Ga. Southern, Marshall (before moving up), Youngstown St, etc....... Crawl back in your crawfish hole!!! I have respected your comments over the past, but not now.

McNeese75
August 29th, 2006, 11:57 PM
My My a little testy in Kat land tonight arent we : smh :

When you pick up a player with the media spotlight on him you are going to be in the spotlight (good or bad). Some on here are attaching RB and maybe without reason but likewise you do not know enough about this kid to be defending him like you seem to be.

Your comment regarding Cecil Collins and his failure at MSU is exactly why some of us have doubts about how well this is going to work out for SHSU.

Better get used to the sniping, you can bet it will continue :nod:

Mr. C
August 30th, 2006, 12:34 AM
You have to shake your head at why Sam Houston State keeps taking other people's problem players. : smh :

Many of us who met Dustin Long at The Sports Network banquet two years ago in Chattanooga came away less than impressed with Long in the character department. And then there was the fiasco of Long dropping out of SHSU and going back to graduate from Texas A&M. Long is the main reason that we have the new legislation that prohibits a player with less than two years of eligibility left from transferring to a I-AA team.

Will Bomar be a star for the Bearkats? Probably. But you have to wonder about the character of a player who throws away the chance for his I-A to be a BCS title contender for his own financial gain. That doesn't sound like the type of player who is going to be a leader of your team.

As long as the Bearkats keep signing questionable players, they are going to get their share of criticism and rightfully so.

Mr. C
August 30th, 2006, 12:41 AM
Look up the definition of jackass and your name and picture would be beside it. You can all sit and speculate. If Bomar had contacted your school to join your program, he would be the next best thing to sliced bread. And dont lie. Also, your alias name on this board fits you well.

And Retro, I am completely disappointed in you. I will put you in the JACKASS column with the moron quoted above. Oh, I forget, McNeese is the stellar program in the I-AA world.(not!): smh : You dont know crap about our program. Just another fool voicing his uneducated opinion from the cheap seats. Let's not forget, of course the McNeese fans will make all kinds of excuses, your school attempted to give Cecil "the Diesel" Collins a second chance, he just chose not to take advantage. Oh, and like you have reached the finals EVERY YEAR! You got lucky one year, whoopee!! McNeese has had its success, but you aint no Montana, Ga. Southern, Marshall (before moving up), Youngstown St, etc....... Crawl back in your crawfish hole!!! I have respected your comments over the past, but not now.

Can we discuss this stuff like adults and stop with the nasty insults? Keep that kind of junk on the smack board, where it belongs. Sometimes, we have to swallow our partisan pride and accept the fact that the actions of a school we support are going to draw criticism. I hope that Bomar turns out to be a kid who made a mistake and one that turns his life around as a student/athlete at Sam Houston State. But it is going to take a lot of effort on his part to change the public perception he has fostered by his bad decision at Oklahoma. The sooner that Bearkat fans develop a thicker skin about this controversial signing, the better off they are going to be. Please, exhibit some patience.

OL FU
August 30th, 2006, 07:13 AM
Can we discuss this stuff like adults and stop with the nasty insults? Keep that kind of junk on the smack board, where it belongs. Sometimes, we have to swallow our partisan pride and accept the fact that the actions of a school we support are going to draw criticism. I hope that Bomar turns out to be a kid who made a mistake and one that turns his life around as a student/athlete at Sam Houston State. But it is going to take a lot of effort on his part to change the public perception he has fostered by his bad decision at Oklahoma. The sooner that Bearkat fans develop a thicker skin about this controversial signing, the better off they are going to be. Please, exhibit some patience.

I agree.

I am curious. I would be excited about the possibility of this kinda of talent behind my center, but I would be very uncertain about whether this is the right decision for my school.

I have heard and understand the excitement from the SH fans. I am just curious if any of them have any concerns about it?

It's not like someone illegally bought him a bus ticket for a ride home to see the folks. :o

kats89
August 30th, 2006, 08:01 AM
My My a little testy in Kat land tonight arent we : smh :

When you pick up a player with the media spotlight on him you are going to be in the spotlight (good or bad). Some on here are attaching RB and maybe without reason but likewise you do not know enough about this kid to be defending him like you seem to be.

Your comment regarding Cecil Collins and his failure at MSU is exactly why some of us have doubts about how well this is going to work out for SHSU.

Better get used to the sniping, you can bet it will continue :nod:

not defending RB, but rather my alma mater.

89Hen
August 30th, 2006, 08:06 AM
Yes, we landed a huge transfer but we are not the only I-AA school that does this. Anyone who says otherwise is a hypocrite!
Delaware has certainly benefitted from transfers, but AFAIK, we've never taken one who's been kicked off a I-A team. All of our transfers are players who aren't going to get playing time if they stayed or in the case of Shawn Johnson, want to play for a winning team.

I agree with OL FU that perhaps this was a player I would have preferred my team stay away from and with Mr.C that this can become a perception problem for SHSU. :twocents:

kats89
August 30th, 2006, 08:07 AM

And i have thick skin until comments made about the university come into play. Every school in this country has its share of baggage and i am not defending RB for what he did. BUT, I will not sit back and listen to comments that DIRTBAG made about the university.:nono:
:twocents:

blackfordpu
August 30th, 2006, 08:51 AM

I hope you are directing that to other posters and not just kats.

OL FU
August 30th, 2006, 08:54 AM
I hope you are directing that to other posters and not just kats.

No doubt it goes both ways. :nod:

So a respectful question ( I think it is the third time I have ask:confused: )
I understand the excitement, any concerns that it is the wrong decision?

Ronbo
August 30th, 2006, 09:09 AM
You have to shake your head at why Sam Houston State keeps taking other people's problem players. : smh :

Many of us who met Dustin Long at The Sports Network banquet two years ago in Chattanooga came away less than impressed with Long in the character department. And then there was the fiasco of Long dropping out of SHSU and going back to graduate from Texas A&M. Long is the main reason that we have the new legislation that prohibits a player with less than two years of eligibility left from transferring to a I-AA team.

Will Bomar be a star for the Bearkats? Probably. But you have to wonder about the character of a player who throws away the chance for his I-A to be a BCS title contender for his own financial gain. That doesn't sound like the type of player who is going to be a leader of your team.

As long as the Bearkats keep signing questionable players, they are going to get their share of criticism and rightfully so.

Long pissed off Griz fans in the 2004 playoffs when he walked off the field and refused to shake several outstretched hands by Griz players.

blackfordpu
August 30th, 2006, 09:11 AM
No doubt it goes both ways. :nod:

So a respectful question ( I think it is the third time I have ask:confused: )
I understand the excitement, any concerns that it is the wrong decision?

No because Bomar has made no excuses for his actions. He has taken full responsiblity and said he wants to put it behind him.

I think it would be a different story if he were "TO'ing" it by making excuses.

OL FU
August 30th, 2006, 09:14 AM
No because Bomar has made no excuses for his actions. He has taken full responsiblity and said he wants to put it behind him.

I think it would be a different story if he were "TO'ing" it by making excuses.

Interesting, I will be honest I haven't totally made up my mind, but I am not sure that "I did it. I take responsibility." would be quite enough. Hard to know without knowing the kid.:nod:

But either way, I do think the NCAA should not let him off the hook and he should sit out and lose a year.

89Hen
August 30th, 2006, 09:19 AM
He has taken full responsiblity and said he wants to put it behind him.
Of course he wants to put it behind him, but what responsibility has he taken? He will still be playing Division I NCAA football.

Ronbo
August 30th, 2006, 09:29 AM
These guys have paid a pretty good price for their crimes. Geez, I'm wondering how widespread this kind of thing is in I-A, especially the BCS. There could be hundreds of players picking up lost $100 bills off the lawn they're mowing.:rolleyes:

kats89
August 30th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Hey, I sure dont make excuses for Long. I was kinda suprised when he walked off the field in Montana and didnt shake any hands, but that is something he had to live with.(Notice where he is now, AT HOME) . Long was another brainwashed AGGIE. He was fun to watch and had enormous talent, but he definitely was not bleeding orange. As far as classes go, he was a senior. Think about it, wouldnt you still want to get your degree from the school you started at if you could? Anyway, it is all in the past now.

FU, to answer your question, only time will tell if it was the wrong move or not. I will say that Bobby Williams, our AD, is normally pretty detailed in working through this stuff. I am sure that they took a long hard look at the situation, not to mention protecting the program. This could be a very good thing for us or it could backfire. I mean, we have 3 quality QB's on roster and we could conceivably lose one to transfer. And if RB decided to transfer out next year (as people are saying) then we would be VERY thin at QB. For Coach Whitten and the AD to step out there and pursue this thing after being contacted by RB, we must not be as strong at the position as we all thought. All I can do as a fan is sit back and watch.
I will say that if this all works out, WATCH OUT! Much to some of the previous posters in this thread, we DO have other pieces of the puzzle in place. WR's are strong, starting RB has had a bang up preseason and our defense is gonna be scary good!!!! Just sit back and watch.xcoffeex :twocents:

Now that people have taken their shots, as a football fan, what do you think RB brings to the field?

dirtbag
August 30th, 2006, 11:21 AM
And i have thick skin until comments made about the university come into play. Every school in this country has its share of baggage and i am not defending RB for what he did. BUT, I will not sit back and listen to comments that DIRTBAG made about the university.:nono:

Oh, whatever, here's what I said that apparently got all of you Kats pissy: "a piddly commuter campus in a town whose biggest claim to fame is executing criminals."

Now it is interesting that none of you have rebutted it, but rather only responded with name-calling. That's probably because it's a factual statement:

Piddly? Compared to OU, sure. He'll be playing in front of maybe 8K instead of 80K every week.
Commuter campus? Check.
Town's biggest claim to fame is executing criminals? Absolutely.

OU was the dream place for Bomar, exactly what he wanted, because he could have gone anywhere out of high school.

Sam Houston is not. It's the best of his available choices, of which every D-I program has been eliminated because of the transfer rule, and even some I-AA programs who didn't want a selfish punk guiding their team.

McNeese75
August 30th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Now that people have taken their shots, as a football fan, what do you think RB brings to the field?

Just look at the OU highlight videos and you see speed and a good arm so he will be factor in the future (assuming everything works out and he gains the support of his teammates)

dirtbag
August 30th, 2006, 11:26 AM

You know, if I flagrantly broke rules repeatedly and let my entire team down, I'd want to put it behind me too!

And the only reason he took full responsibility is because he got caught breaking a rule. And he didn't do this once. This wasn't a one-time payment. He broke this rule over and over and over. And $18K later, he finally got caught. If at some point he decided what he was doing was wrong and chose to turn himself in, then I'd be impressed by him taking full responsibilty. But I'm not impressed by someone admitting fault and apologizing when they're caught with a smoking gun in their hand.

dirtbag
August 30th, 2006, 11:32 AM

Hey, thanks for the kind words, bub!

But you're wrong. I would not have welcomed Bomar. In fact, I've been a Dallas Cowboy fan my entire life. Until this year. I can't root for the Cowboys with Terrell Owens on the team. I'm not saying that Bomar is as bad as TO (no way), but my support is a little deeper than "rooting for laundry" as Jerry Seinfeld would say.

beerkat
August 30th, 2006, 12:13 PM
you may as well not be a fan of any team then, cause this stuff goes on everywhere, nfl or college

OL FU
August 30th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Hey, I sure dont make excuses for Long. I was kinda suprised when he walked off the field in Montana and didnt shake any hands, but that is something he had to live with.(Notice where he is now, AT HOME) . Long was another brainwashed AGGIE. He was fun to watch and had enormous talent, but he definitely was not bleeding orange. As far as classes go, he was a senior. Think about it, wouldnt you still want to get your degree from the school you started at if you could? Anyway, it is all in the past now.

FU, to answer your question, only time will tell if it was the wrong move or not. I will say that Bobby Williams, our AD, is normally pretty detailed in working through this stuff. I am sure that they took a long hard look at the situation, not to mention protecting the program. This could be a very good thing for us or it could backfire. I mean, we have 3 quality QB's on roster and we could conceivably lose one to transfer. And if RB decided to transfer out next year (as people are saying) then we would be VERY thin at QB. For Coach Whitten and the AD to step out there and pursue this thing after being contacted by RB, we must not be as strong at the position as we all thought. All I can do as a fan is sit back and watch.
I will say that if this all works out, WATCH OUT! Much to some of the previous posters in this thread, we DO have other pieces of the puzzle in place. WR's are strong, starting RB has had a bang up preseason and our defense is gonna be scary good!!!! Just sit back and watch.xcoffeex :twocents:

Thanks for answering. :nod:

89Hen
August 30th, 2006, 12:54 PM
you may as well not be a fan of any team then, cause this stuff goes on everywhere, nfl or college
What stuff?

kats89
August 30th, 2006, 01:00 PM
What stuff? Kids taking money etc....... Come on Hen89, if you are a college football follower, you know this stuff goes on all over the country.

The only difference here is he got caught.

OL FU
August 30th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Kids taking money etc....... Come on Hen89, if you are a college football follower, you know this stuff goes on all over the country.

:eyebrow: :eyebrow: :nono:

89Hen
August 30th, 2006, 01:14 PM
this stuff goes on all over the country.
If that makes you sleep better at night, run with it.

dirtbag
August 30th, 2006, 01:19 PM

No way! I can believe an outlaw program like OU is paying their players, but you'll never convince me that a classy organization like the Dallas Cowboys is turning a blind eye to their players getting paid!

[fingers in ears] LALALALALALA!!!! I'M NOT LISTENING!!![/fingers in ears]

Retro
August 30th, 2006, 01:56 PM

Calling me names because i point out the obvious about how SHS does things doesn't lend much credibility to your posts.. I wasn't slamming your school, just the method in which they choose to build their football team each year and how it's the ability to build a consistent winner.

BWT, Mcneese has been to the finals twice. :p

Mr. C
August 30th, 2006, 02:29 PM
I agree.

I am curious. I would be excited about the possibility of this kinda of talent behind my center, but I would be very uncertain about whether this is the right decision for my school.

I have heard and understand the excitement from the SH fans. I am just curious if any of them have any concerns about it?

It's not like someone illegally bought him a bus ticket for a ride home to see the folks. :o
A case in point is Ingle Martin, who is totally a CLASS ACT. Ingle got caught in a situation where a new coach came in and took his job away (he really didn't even have much of a chance to keep it through legitimate competition). There is a big difference between a kid like that transfering to your school and some kid with excessive baggage showing up on your field.

REALBird
August 30th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Oh, whatever, here's what I said that apparently got all of you Kats pissy: "a piddly commuter campus in a town whose biggest claim to fame is executing criminals."

Now it is interesting that none of you have rebutted it, but rather only responded with name-calling. That's probably because it's a factual statement:

Piddly? Compared to OU, sure. He'll be playing in front of maybe 8K instead of 80K every week.
Commuter campus? Check.
Town's biggest claim to fame is executing criminals? Absolutely.

OU was the dream place for Bomar, exactly what he wanted, because he could have gone anywhere out of high school.

Sam Houston is not. It's the best of his available choices, of which every D-I program has been eliminated because of the transfer rule, and even some I-AA programs who didn't want a selfish punk guiding their team.

I won't comment on SHSU as a program....don't know enough about them to say whether allowing this young man a second chance is a good move or not. I saw that Bomar visited Illinois State, and from what I can tell he automatically assumed he would be given the QB position. Well we've got a pretty good QB in Luke Drone who comes in as the #7 QB in I-AA, so thanks but no thanks Mr. Bomar. Hope things work out for him at SHSU.

Interesting comments from Bob Stoops about Bomar at the end of this article.

http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2006/08/30/sports/118389.txt

exbearkat
September 5th, 2006, 10:08 AM
Long pissed off Griz fans in the 2004 playoffs when he walked off the field and refused to shake several outstretched hands by Griz players.
He pissed me off as well. Although he obviously couldn't hear me, I yelled my @ss off at him from the stands letting everyone around me (SH fans, etc) that I certainly didn't approve of his selfish and disrespectful act - especially when his play was one of the main reasons we got our @sses kicked for the third consecutive time at Wash/Griz. : flamemad :nonono2: