PDA

View Full Version : SoCon v.s Big South:2006

MarkCCU
August 27th, 2006, 09:49 PM
Week 1: Elon @ CCU
Week 2: CSU @ El Cid (Chucktown Throwdon)
CCU @ Wofford
Week 3: CCU @ GSU
PC @ Elon
Week 4: App.State @ Gardner-Webb
Week 5: Idle
Week 6: Furman @ CCU
Week 7-9: Idle
Week 10: Western Carolina @ Liberty
Week 11: VMI @ The Citadel
Week 12: Wofford @ Gardner-Webb

MarkCCU's projected winners are in Blue:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

thirdgendin
August 27th, 2006, 10:12 PM
CCU @ Wofford
PC @ Elon

Even when the Citadel has been bad, they haven't had much trouble with Charleston Southern. It will be interesting to see if the Bucs can continue to close the gap. Here are the last three results from that series, all Citadel wins:
2005: 28-14
2003: 64-10
2002: 53-19

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Coastal win at Wofford, although I don't know enough about either team yet to pick. Also, the Citadel could/should beat VMI. I agree with the rest of your choices.

Mr. C
August 27th, 2006, 10:17 PM
Coastal Carolina has a chance to make some noise against SoCon teams. I think the Chanticleers should beat Elon and have good chances to win against Georgia Southern and Wofford. Charleston Southern and The Citadel should be another good game. VMI and The Citadel is always a tough game. I don't see any other Big South wins here beyond those.

PaladinFan
August 27th, 2006, 10:24 PM
El Cid is a lot better than people give them credit for. I think you also must realize that teams like Elon and Citadel have losing records most years, but their competition is much tougher in conference.

Wasn't it last year that Citadel was down to Florida State 10-6 at the half?

CCU is an interesting case. I can see them beating Elon, but probably losing to an always tough Wofford team. I think many can make a case for them beating GSU, but that stadium on that night will be like nothing those Chants have seen.

Mr. C
August 28th, 2006, 12:32 AM
El Cid is a lot better than people give them credit for. I think you also must realize that teams like Elon and Citadel have losing records most years, but their competition is much tougher in conference.

Wasn't it last year that Citadel was down to Florida State 10-6 at the half?

CCU is an interesting case. I can see them beating Elon, but probably losing to an always tough Wofford team. I think many can make a case for them beating GSU, but that stadium on that night will be like nothing those Chants have seen.
CCU played before 23,000-plus at Kidd Brewer Stadium last fall. About the only places with more fans than that in I-AA is Montana and Delaware. If the Chants have experienced Appalachian State, they will be fairly well ready for Paulson Stadium.

Yes, The Citadel should be improved. But then, so should Charleston Southern. Didn't say CSU would beat The Citadel, just that it would be a good game. The Citadel-VMI game is a rivalry game. Throw everything else out the window.

ASU Kep
August 28th, 2006, 01:11 AM
CCU @ Wofford
PC @ Elon

You should get an award for "least-homerism". I agree with pretty much all of your picks, but were I a CCU fan I'd probably predict a victory over Woffy. IMHO, that should be a great game and could go either way (being a homer, I would have picked CCU).

I have to give ya'll credit too: for a team so desperate to make your first playoff, you certainly didn't schedule a bunch of chumps. Woffy, SC State, GSU, and Furman are very good teams. Even if ya'll run the table in the BS, you gotta win probably two of those to make it.

On a side note, one of my good buddies just transfered down to CCU. I'll actually be rooting for ya'll to make it to the dance so you guys can make a return trip to Boone and get stomped. Well, I guess you could file that under "rooting". ;)

rokamortis
August 28th, 2006, 04:40 AM
This year is definitely put up or shutup time for the Chants. I don't think any of the SoCon games are gimmees but would hope we would go 2-2 if not better. It certainly won't be easy and the odds are not in our favor, but we need to do that for the respect factor. We also need to show well against SC State - a team that is very motivated to take us down.

I would also like to see our conference mates surprise a couple of the SoCon teams - not likely but would do great things for the conference.

OL FU
August 28th, 2006, 06:25 AM
This year is definitely put up or shutup time for the Chants. I don't think any of the SoCon games are gimmees but would hope we would go 2-2 if not better. It certainly won't be easy and the odds are not in our favor, but we need to do that for the respect factor. We also need to show well against SC State - a team that is very motivated to take us down.

I would also like to see our conference mates surprise a couple of the SoCon teams - not likely but would do great things for the conference.

Naw, your program is four years old.
I would call this year, (1)we are as good as we think we are or (2)we are good but it takes a little longer to build a football program than we first thought:smiley_wi

OL FU
August 28th, 2006, 07:09 AM
CCU @ Wofford
PC @ Elon (I ain't pickin' this one)
Week 11: VMI @ The CitadelWeek 12: Wofford @ Gardner-Webb

PaladinFan
August 28th, 2006, 08:45 AM
You should get an award for "least-homerism". I agree with pretty much all of your picks, but were I a CCU fan I'd probably predict a victory over Woffy. IMHO, that should be a great game and could go either way (being a homer, I would have picked CCU).

I have to give ya'll credit too: for a team so desperate to make your first playoff, you certainly didn't schedule a bunch of chumps. Woffy, SC State, GSU, and Furman are very good teams. Even if ya'll run the table in the BS, you gotta win probably two of those to make it.

On a side note, one of my good buddies just transfered down to CCU. I'll actually be rooting for ya'll to make it to the dance so you guys can make a return trip to Boone and get stomped. Well, I guess you could file that under "rooting". ;)

How many times does Wofford upset a team in Spartanburg? Happens every year, ask GSU. My hope is they get all uppity on Coastal and Furman can make it out of sparkle city with a win.

AppGuy04
August 28th, 2006, 09:07 AM
I didn't know Coastal was in the SoConxlolx :smiley_wi

MarkCCU
August 28th, 2006, 12:14 PM
i'm confused with your statement

MarkCCU
August 28th, 2006, 11:35 PM

Neither did we :D .

The Gadfly
August 30th, 2006, 02:12 AM

Neither did I.

Week 2: CSU @ El Cid (Chucktown Throwdown) Buc's QB could be the factor.
CCU @ Wofford (Kidd Brewer it's not)

PC @ Elon

Week 6: Furman @ CCU (JSU all over again for the 'Dines)

Week 11: VMI @ The Citadel (Shako is heading to Lexington)

Week 12: Wofford @ Gardner-Webb (might be closer than we think in BFE)