PDA

View Full Version : The Future of Monmouth Football

Dave195
February 6th, 2013, 12:51 PM
Per Head Coach Kevin Callahan today at the Signing Day Event: The school hopes to break ground on stadium renovations this spring and to play an FBS level school in 2 to 3 years. Also, they will be an independent this upcoming season, however they are in talks with other conferences... I would expect an announcement on that in the next couple of months at the latest.

Only reason they didn't announce schedule today is that they want to keep it open in case they want a play a team from the new conference they may join. They will also continue to play some NEC schools... just not as an NEC member.

DFW HOYA
February 6th, 2013, 01:01 PM
One big advantage of an independent is setting its own course for football, not what the conference's course is.

Scheduling and visibility are the chief challenges, however.

danefan
February 6th, 2013, 01:09 PM
Per Head Coach Kevin Callahan today at the Signing Day Event: The school hopes to break ground on stadium renovations this spring and to play an FBS level school in 2 to 3 years. Also, they will be an independent this upcoming season, however they are in talks with other conferences... I would expect an announcement on that in the next couple of months at the latest.

Only reason they didn't announce schedule today is that they want to keep it open in case they want a play a team from the new conference they may join. They will also continue to play some NEC schools... just not as an NEC member.

What are the stadium renovations? Anything near 10,000 seats?

Dane96
February 6th, 2013, 01:27 PM
We know this; if the renovations don't get up to the 8000+ mark...it has to be the Big South or the PL. They are clearly going to ramp up schollies (THE FBS game comment) so the PFL is out. The NEC is out.

And the CAA will not let them in without serious stadium upgrades (e.g. minimum of what Albany is getting).

So...if the renovations are what they AD talked about previously (lockerooms and the like)...it's Big South or PL in my opinion.

DFW HOYA
February 6th, 2013, 01:41 PM
So...if the renovations are what they AD talked about previously (lockerooms and the like)...it's Big South or PL in my opinion.

The PL does not enforce stadium minimums.

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 6th, 2013, 01:52 PM

They don't. But if you want to compete in the league it certainly helps to have a nice stadium. Lehigh, Holy Cross and Lafayette's facilities would stack up well in any conference. Colgate and Bucknell are also solid. I even think JCF is a nice a place to watch a game. It's not super small either at 7k seats.

Monmouth's stadium right now is a smaller version of JCF. When Lehigh played there two years ago the place was overflowing.

Dane96
February 6th, 2013, 08:23 PM

That's why I wrote that if they don't go up in size to about 8500 seats...they are Big South or PL bound. I know the CAA told them to big time build up before they were considered.

Sorry if there was confusion.

Dave195
February 7th, 2013, 03:24 AM
They are not planning to increase capacity. I believe that will be an independent for this upcoming season, then probably move to the Big South for next season. In the next few years they will try to increase scholarships to around the FCS max. I think they're looking to emulate what Stony Brook did to some degree, except I think they're goal is the Patriot League over the CAA only because I don't see the stadium capacity rising dramatically. West Long Branch won't let them do it. The MAC was a struggle as well, it's beautiful and around 4100+ seats but MU originally wanted it to be somewhat larger.

aceinthehole
February 7th, 2013, 07:31 AM
It’s a program without a home, likely to play as an independent in 2013. But wherever they land, whether it’s in the Big South – the two sides have been in talks – or elsewhere, the Hawks, a middle-of-the-pack NEC team with a sub-par defense in recent years, need to get this thing cranked up on the field.

“We’re committed to football, and we’re committed to finding a home and increasing scholarships to the necessary levels,’’ declared Monmouth president Paul Gaffney.

All of which makes this annual exercise known as National Signing Day that much more important.

Say the most likely scenario comes to fruition and the Hawks find themselves in the Big South, facing teams with up to 63 scholarships in 2014. If they hope to beat the likes of Coastal Carolina and Liberty, finding better athletes, not just more athletes, is the key.

As they gradually increase scholarships, and hopefully expand the coaching staff and facilities at Kessler Field, the team has to make strides on the field. Because when they reach the magical number of 57 scholarships, or scholarship equivalents, thus enabling them to play an FBS opponent and come home with a nice check, everything else has to be up-to-speed as well.

http://www.app.com/article/20130206/NJCOLUMNIST09/302060119/1002/NJSPORTS/Recruiting-class-marks-new-beginning-for-Hawks

Go...gate
February 7th, 2013, 04:32 PM
They are not planning to increase capacity. I believe that will be an independent for this upcoming season, then probably move to the Big South for next season. In the next few years they will try to increase scholarships to around the FCS max. I think they're looking to emulate what Stony Brook did to some degree, except I think they're goal is the Patriot League over the CAA only because I don't see the stadium capacity rising dramatically. West Long Branch won't let them do it. The MAC was a struggle as well, it's beautiful and around 4100+ seats but MU originally wanted it to be somewhat larger.

Can temporary stands be added anywhere?

citdog
February 7th, 2013, 09:21 PM

Nullification?

ngineer
February 8th, 2013, 07:52 PM

For which you are thankful...(;-)