PDA

View Full Version : And These Guys Think They'll Support Football??....

Appaholic
February 5th, 2013, 08:22 AM
Charlotte 49ers basketball: The numbers never lie

The Charlotte 49ers are on track for the worst season attendance at Halton Arena since 1997

The atmosphere of a sold-out college basketball game is rare and elusive. Just imagine if Charlotte could experience this on a regular basis. Or, better yet, just imagine if Charlotte could fill 70% of their on-campus arena.

Attendance this year is utterly pathetic.

http://nineronline.com/2013/charlotte-49ers-basketball-the-numbers-never-lie/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=charlotte-49ers-basketball-the-numbers-never-lie

And they're basketball team is winning and has SOME tradition......xrotatehx

asumike83
February 5th, 2013, 08:42 AM
To be fair, I'd kill to average 5,700 in basketball attendance.

Relatively speaking though, that is pretty disappointing. Their team is having a great season, a drop in attendance from the 10-win and 13-win seasons the past two years is hard to comprehend.

WH49er
February 5th, 2013, 09:18 AM
Taylor the troll strikes again, got to love his obsession with us. Shouldn't you be digging up documents on why the Sunbelt wants NMSU over Happy Appy?

Sold out last game against UMass 9,105

Game versus Xavier 7,300

VCU game this saturday will sellout

Meanwhile the Happy Appy and their "awesome fanbase" struggles to get 1000 people in for men's basketball games.

fc97
February 5th, 2013, 09:32 AM
Charlotte 49ers basketball: The numbers never lie

The Charlotte 49ers are on track for the worst season attendance at Halton Arena since 1997

The atmosphere of a sold-out college basketball game is rare and elusive. Just imagine if Charlotte could experience this on a regular basis. Or, better yet, just imagine if Charlotte could fill 70% of their on-campus arena.

Attendance this year is utterly pathetic.

http://nineronline.com/2013/charlotte-49ers-basketball-the-numbers-never-lie/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=charlotte-49ers-basketball-the-numbers-never-lie

And they're basketball team is winning and has SOME tradition......xrotatehx

shouldn't app worry about their own attendance before casting stones? uncc basketball is not football and uncc is not an fcs team.

citdog
February 5th, 2013, 09:34 AM
Homecoming at a basketball game xlolx

darell1976
February 5th, 2013, 09:44 AM
5700 average in basketball is pretty good. Have you seen some schools attendance? There are some that can't get 1000. Or like Sac State...600?

49RFootballNow
February 5th, 2013, 09:49 AM
We must be in full slow season in Boone now for one of their fans to be bored enough to comment on basketball............of course its not their own basketball they want to talk about. Having an attendance "drop" is something that programs that had attendance to drop can discuss.

SpeedkingATL
February 5th, 2013, 10:20 AM
App needs to worry about our own basketball program and attendance which has been awful for a long, long time.

chattownmocs
February 5th, 2013, 10:27 AM
Seems like they've been pretty steady with solid attendance for a long time. Not even that big of a drop this year. Cool story bro.

dirty bird
February 5th, 2013, 10:33 AM
We have a crappy basketball arena that rarely plays in front of more than 2000 people, however, we regularly put near 30,000 people in the dome for football. It's all relative, and quite honestly I would like it if we averaged 5700 at our basketball games - then we'd have a sellout every game!

Apphole
February 5th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Taylor the troll strikes again, got to love his obsession with us. Shouldn't you be digging up documents on why the Sunbelt wants NMSU over Happy Appy?

Game versus Xavier 7,300

Meanwhile the Happy Appy and their "awesome fanbase" struggles to get 1000 people in for men's basketball games.

A 9-12 season thus far would yield similar attendance woes for UNCc. A college/resort town isolation thing makes it very hard to draw better crowds and a piss poor record in a bad conference hurts even more. If every bball game was on a Saturday, we'd average twice as much. Who has time to run up the mountain on a week night, especially when the team sucks this year?

It's easy to make fun of UNCc. You could talk for days about their little-man perception issues (rivals star flub of '12, Charlotte vs UNCC branding issue ect), and their delusions of SEC grandeur without playing a down, but not even I would directly make fun of any other school's basketball attendance after how this year has turned out for the Apps.

Holic, if it makes it better I agree with you. UNCC football attendance is going to SUCK. I mean they have had an incredible year in hoops in a really good conference and still can't draw better than that. They WILL lose a lot as a start up team and they will do so against a bunch of teams the vast majority have never heard of (since the fanbase is very ignorant and transient). The handful that do know a thing or two are these type of people we deal with on AGS that have been scoffing at the very idea of ever competing in the FCS. It is a recipe for failure. A house of cars. I can't wait.

Apphole
February 5th, 2013, 10:38 AM
Is appaholic's name really Taylor?

WH49er
February 5th, 2013, 10:43 AM

Same person in my book....

Apphole
February 5th, 2013, 10:44 AM

What? Is there someone named Taylor in your life that you just don't like? Did he pick on you in school?

WH49er
February 5th, 2013, 10:45 AM
A 9-12 season thus far would yield similar attendance woes for UNCc. A college/resort town isolation thing makes it very hard to draw better crowds and a piss poor record in a bad conference hurts even more.

We had 10 wins two seasons ago and 13 last year and averaged above 6K. What's your excuse for your dumpster fire of a program now?

WH49er
February 5th, 2013, 10:46 AM
Did he pick on you in school?

This isn't like your experience in Chatty.

citdog
February 5th, 2013, 10:50 AM

nope. His name is Pablo Escobar.

Apphole
February 5th, 2013, 10:51 AM
We had 10 wins two seasons ago and 13 last year and averaged above 6K. What's your excuse for your dumpster fire of a program now?

Well, the administration neglecting the program financially and terrible marketing hurts. Making the worst head coaching hire in school history hurt. Trusting the Buzzard to stay for more than a year hurt. There are a lot of reasons are BBall program is at an all time low right now. It wasn't always like this and it won't be forever. http://espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=283242026

It's a lot more difficult to run/fund two major sports programs and pack the stands in each, as you will soon find out, and it is especially difficult when one of them is incredibly successful like at ASU.

Bisonoline
February 5th, 2013, 11:22 AM
Homecoming at a basketball game xlolx

Yeah they do that crap down here in HS.

WH49er
February 5th, 2013, 11:51 AM
Well, the administration neglecting the program financially and terrible marketing hurts. Making the worst head coaching hire in school history hurt. Trusting the Buzzard to stay for more than a year hurt. There are a lot of reasons are BBall program is at an all time low right now. It wasn't always like this and it won't be forever. http://espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=283242026

It's a lot more difficult to run/fund two major sports programs and pack the stands in each, as you will soon find out, and it is especially difficult when one of them is incredibly successful like at ASU.

The answer Charlie Cobb would have saved you sometime.

ASUMountaineer
February 5th, 2013, 11:58 AM

Game versus Xavier 7,300

Wrong.

ASUMountaineer
February 5th, 2013, 11:59 AM

No, it's not. He's a good guy, but I won't divulge his name.

ASUMountaineer
February 5th, 2013, 12:01 PM

Moron. Apphole and Appaholic are vastly different people, but both like to smack UNCC.

WH49er
February 5th, 2013, 12:06 PM
Moron. Apphole and Appaholic are vastly different people, but both like to smack UNCC.

So like I said trolls....the same in my book. Neither one can let go...

Apphole
February 5th, 2013, 12:06 PM

My name isn't Taylor either...

ASUMountaineer
February 5th, 2013, 12:13 PM
So like I said trolls....the same in my book. Neither one can let go...

Well, you would be able to pick out a troll.

What exactly can Appaholic not let go of?

Apphole
February 5th, 2013, 12:22 PM

The rhetorical throats of the UNCc faithful.

WH49er
February 5th, 2013, 12:35 PM
Well, you would be able to pick out a troll.

Whatever complex he has for Charlotte. You apparently know him, maybe you can pinpoint it and get back to me. The guy posted an article about Charlotte basketball attendance on an FCS football board when his school struggles to get a 1,000 people for basketball.

Also, we have a basketball thread on the board.

Apphole
February 5th, 2013, 12:44 PM
Whatever complex he has for Charlotte. You apparently know him, maybe you can pinpoint it and get back to me. The guy posted an article about Charlotte basketball attendance on an FCS football board when his school struggles to get a 1,000 people for basketball.

What he was doing was attempting to elicit an emotional response from you.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQLSoUfuHBytT2EVpRNOk0h8y89GJEAR KFWTNa_GfZfMNMsruz7CQ

Apphole
February 5th, 2013, 12:46 PM
And your "school" is named UNC-Charlotte, not Charlotte.

www.uncc.edu

Safety school. Glorified Community College. Four-year version of CPCC with a worse academic reputation. Suit Case College. These are all acceptable names as well.

Man, you suck.

DFW HOYA
February 5th, 2013, 12:52 PM
This argument is getting a little tiresome. It's not like App State is suddenly UNC-CH, either.

Charlotte is not where it needs to be on attendance but neither are a lot of A-10 teams.

91Niner
February 5th, 2013, 12:52 PM

www.uncc.edu

Safety school. Glorified Community College. Four-year version of CPCC with a worse academic reputation. Suit Case College. These are all acceptable names as well.

Man, you suck.

FBS Football school.........

91Niner
February 5th, 2013, 12:53 PM
A 9-12 season thus far would yield similar attendance woes for UNCc. A college/resort town isolation thing makes it very hard to draw better crowds and a piss poor record in a bad conference hurts even more. If every bball game was on a Saturday, we'd average twice as much. Who has time to run up the mountain on a week night, especially when the team sucks this year? It's easy to make fun of UNCc. You could talk for days about their little-man perception issues (rivals star flub of '12, Charlotte vs UNCC branding issue ect), and their delusions of SEC grandeur without playing a down, but not even I would directly make fun of any other school's basketball attendance after how this year has turned out for the Apps.

Holic, if it makes it better I agree with you. UNCC football attendance is going to SUCK. I mean they have had an incredible year in hoops in a really good conference and still can't draw better than that. They WILL lose a lot as a start up team and they will do so against a bunch of teams the vast majority have never heard of (since the fanbase is very ignorant and transient). The handful that do know a thing or two are these type of people we deal with on AGS that have been scoffing at the very idea of ever competing in the FCS. It is a recipe for failure. A house of cars. I can't wait.

So the reason you suck is.......you suck? OK, I get it.

ASUMountaineer
February 5th, 2013, 12:55 PM

xlolx

As your buddy Apphole said, Mission Accomplished. Pony.

asumike83
February 5th, 2013, 12:55 PM
App needs to worry about our own basketball program and attendance which has been awful for a long, long time.

Agreed. Basketball attendance smack is the last thing that ASU fans need to engage in. Getting around 3,000 to the last two weekend home games was a positive development for us. I'd be ecstatic if we averaged 5,700 for a season.

WH49er
February 5th, 2013, 12:58 PM

www.uncc.edu

Man, you suck.

Yet our academic endowment is twice the size of your school. Ouch.

ASUMountaineer
February 5th, 2013, 01:00 PM
FBS Football school.........

In 2015. Congrats, by the way. Hopefully, despite ASU's location, it will get it's chance to make the move too.

ASUMountaineer
February 5th, 2013, 01:01 PM
Agreed. Basketball attendance smack is the last thing that ASU fans need to engage in. Getting around 3,000 to the last two weekend home games was a positive development for us. I'd be ecstatic if we averaged 5,700 for a season.

Agreed. But, it is funny to see WH get all bothered.

Apphole
February 5th, 2013, 01:04 PM
Yet our academic endowment is twice the size of your school. Ouch.

Having tons of grad programs and students gets you more tax money, but it hasn't stopped you from letting ANYONE WHO APPLIES enroll, whether it's a mongaloid with a double digit SAT score or a football recruit with a <.5 GPA(Kalif Phillips had offers from UNCC, App and ECU. When his grades came out all but UNCc withdrew theirs. Nice get! xlolx)

The problem with Cee is the lack of demand coupled with your policy to EXPAND EXPAND EXPAND. It equates to a worse acceptance rate than ECU. OUCH.

WH49er
February 5th, 2013, 01:16 PM
Having tons of grad programs and students gets you more tax money, but it hasn't stopped you from letting ANYONE WHO APPLIES enroll, whether it's a mongaloid with a double digit SAT score or a football recruit with a <.5 GPA(Kalif Phillips had offers from UNCC, App and ECU. When his grades came out all but UNCc withdrew theirs. Nice get! xlolx)

The problem with Cee is the lack of demand coupled with your policy to EXPAND EXPAND EXPAND. It equates to a worse acceptance rate than ECU. OUCH.

Endowments are separate from state funding. Keep trying.

http://www.nacubo.org/Documents/research/2011NCSEPublicTablesEndowmentMarketValues319.pdf

Hammerhead
February 5th, 2013, 01:22 PM
Portland State isn't far behind with an average of 827 last season.
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/pdfs/2012/2012+ncaa+mens+basketball+attendance

NDSU isn't all that hot either with only 3,156/game which is lower than it was in the 80s and 90s when I was a student.

5700 average in basketball is pretty good. Have you seen some schools attendance? There are some that can't get 1000. Or like Sac State...600?

TheRevSFA
February 5th, 2013, 01:24 PM
SFA is 18-2 and barely getting 2k in...pretty sad.

WH49er
February 5th, 2013, 01:27 PM
SFA is 18-2 and barely getting 2k in...pretty sad.

You guys are having a great season, congrats. Been following along since you beat Oklahoma.

TheRevSFA
February 5th, 2013, 01:30 PM
You guys are having a great season, congrats. Been following along since you beat Oklahoma.

Thanks. We messed up against NW State, but they did have the highest scoring offense in NCAA, and we had the number one defense in terms of scoring in the NCAA...something had to give, and they got it at the end at home. I think we will get them round 2 in Nac. I was excited we beat ORU in Tulsa though..I was nervous on that game.

Our bracketbuster sucks though. Long Beach State is a good team, but I was hoping for Belmont or Wichita State..

Good luck the rest of the way!

darell1976
February 5th, 2013, 01:58 PM
Portland State isn't far behind with an average of 827 last season.
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/pdfs/2012/2012+ncaa+mens+basketball+attendance

NDSU isn't all that hot either with only 3,156/game which is lower than it was in the 80s and 90s when I was a student.

Here is the updated attendance for the Big Sky: http://www.bigskyconf.com/custompages/mbball/2012/stats/confldrs.htm#conf.wkt

Weber State 6103
Montana 3809
SUU 2548
MSU 2346
ISU 1872
UND 1610
UNC 1296
EWU 1168
NAU 1031
PSU 953
Sac St 627

ursus arctos horribilis
February 5th, 2013, 02:35 PM
Here is the updated attendance for the Big Sky: http://www.bigskyconf.com/custompages/mbball/2012/stats/confldrs.htm#conf.wkt

Weber State 6103
Montana 3809
SUU 2548
MSU 2346
ISU 1872
UND 1610
UNC 1296
EWU 1168
NAU 1031
PSU 953
Sac St 627

Montana used to have an atmosphere at Dahlberg that was similar to what WaGriz is or has been the past 20 years. We used to average around 6-7.5K depending on the season we were having. Once a little success happened the AD decided that it was time to make some changes and accomodate the donors and so forth at the expense of the students. A big renovation was done also that took away about 1K seats or better from an arena that was somewhere around 8.5K in total seating in the 90's and at some games like Boise, Idaho, MSU it had almost 9K in it.

Any time an AD wants to take from the poor and give to the rich it's a bad idea and now you see what Montana has to show for it. That average wouldn't have been an acdeptable low back in the day.

darell1976
February 5th, 2013, 04:16 PM
Montana used to have an atmosphere at Dahlberg that was similar to what WaGriz is or has been the past 20 years. We used to average around 6-7.5K depending on the season we were having. Once a little success happened the AD decided that it was time to make some changes and accomodate the donors and so forth at the expense of the students. A big renovation was done also that took away about 1K seats or better from an arena that was somewhere around 8.5K in total seating in the 90's and at some games like Boise, Idaho, MSU it had almost 9K in it.

Any time an AD wants to take from the poor and give to the rich it's a bad idea and now you see what Montana has to show for it. That average wouldn't have been an acdeptable low back in the day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Sky_Conference

Capacities:

Weber St 11,500
ISU (men) 8000
Montana 7321
MSU 7250
NAU 7000
EWU 6000
SUU 5300
UND 3300 (13,280 at Engelstad Arena)
UNC 2992
PSU 1500
Sac St 1200

Idaho 7000

DoWe
February 5th, 2013, 08:05 PM
I think Charlotte will be fine with their football attendance. Surely they have some football starved alums. However, I do have several acquaintances that are grads from there and they could care less about athletics in general.

citdog
February 5th, 2013, 08:14 PM
However, I do have several acquaintances that are grads from there and they could care less about athletics in general.

http://www.johncoulthart.com/feuilleton/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/gay_flag1.jpg

DoWe
February 5th, 2013, 09:24 PM
http://www.johncoulthart.com/feuilleton/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/gay_flag1.jpg

Makes it hard not wonder.

CID1990
February 5th, 2013, 09:53 PM
What is it with the goofballs trying to be cryptic? First Panther88, now this guy.

citdog
February 5th, 2013, 09:54 PM
Makes it hard not wonder.

I'm only gay for appaholic.

you AIN'T him.

DoWe
February 5th, 2013, 10:16 PM
toy soldiers are an easy foe.

CID1990
February 5th, 2013, 10:28 PM
toy soldiers are an easy foe.

And your sister's an easy lay.

MensaBison, is that you?

ursus arctos horribilis
February 6th, 2013, 12:35 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Sky_Conference

Capacities:

Weber St 11,500
ISU (men) 8000
Montana 7321
MSU 7250
NAU 7000
EWU 6000
SUU 5300
UND 3300 (13,280 at Engelstad Arena)
UNC 2992
PSU 1500
Sac St 1200

Idaho 7000

Yes, not sure what this means however? Is it just for information purposes?

darell1976
February 6th, 2013, 01:15 AM
Yes, not sure what this means however? Is it just for information purposes?

Just to show not every team in the BSC has massive buildings so everyone's average attendance won't be that big. 5700 is really good since only half the conference could even reach that total.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 6th, 2013, 01:49 AM
Just to show not every team in the BSC has massive buildings so everyone's average attendance won't be that big. 5700 is really good since only half the conference could even reach that total.

Gotcha.

ASUMountaineer
February 6th, 2013, 08:16 AM

Ahh...is that Mt. Johnson Hagood? I'm happy that the cadets are able to proclaim their true feelings without fear of retaliation. Bravo! xsmileyclapx

CID1990
February 6th, 2013, 08:38 AM
Ahh...is that Mt. Johnson Hagood? I'm happy that the cadets are able to proclaim their true feelings without fear of retaliation. Bravo! xsmileyclapx

Creativity- D+
Delivery- C-

ASUMountaineer
February 6th, 2013, 08:42 AM
And your sister's an easy lay.

MensaBison, is that you?

Creativity- D+
Delivery- C-

I was trying to post on your level--Mission Accomplished. xthumbsupx

andy7171
February 6th, 2013, 10:04 AM

This is the second time I've seen this in the last 15 minutes. WTF you calling Apphole and Appaholic the same guy!?!
Jesu Cristo!

Apphole
February 6th, 2013, 10:05 AM
This is the second time I've seen this in the last 15 minutes. WTF you calling Apphole and Appaholic the same guy!?!

I think it has more to do with him not knowing the difference between Hunter S Thompson and the banjo playing kid from Deliverance than anything else.

andy7171
February 6th, 2013, 10:13 AM
I think it has more to do with him not knowing the difference between Hunter S Thompson and the banjo playing kid from Deliverance than anything else.

Oh. Well that's an exceptable reason, I suppose.

Appaholic
February 6th, 2013, 11:04 AM
The purpose of the thread was:

1- piss off Charlotte fans (accomplished)
2- point out the obvious

We can talk about App's support of their basketball (or lack thereof). App fans, myself included, won't run from that conversation.

However, here's the difference - App is a football school with a winning program and excellent support of that program that plays it's games on a weekend when extended fanbase can attend. App's basketball suffers from no winning tradition & a lack of interest from the student body & small town residents to attend mid-week games. Charlotte has a winning basketball program, some tradition (Final Four) and are located in a major metro area. If they are unwilling to support a winning basketball program, their losing (& you will lose...at least initially) football program will definitely suffer even though there is a ready-made fanbase with limited travel constraints.

49RFootballNow
February 6th, 2013, 01:01 PM
The purpose of the thread was:

1- piss off Charlotte fans (accomplished)
2- point out the obvious

We can talk about App's support of their basketball (or lack thereof). App fans, myself included, won't run from that conversation.

However, here's the difference - App is a football school with a winning program and excellent support of that program that plays it's games on a weekend when extended fanbase can attend. App's basketball suffers from no winning tradition & a lack of interest from the student body & small town residents to attend mid-week games. Charlotte has a winning basketball program, some tradition (Final Four) and are located in a major metro area. If they are unwilling to support a winning basketball program, their losing (& you will lose...at least initially) football program will definitely suffer even though there is a ready-made fanbase with limited travel constraints.

Congratulations! You want a cookie?

ASUMountaineer
February 6th, 2013, 01:14 PM

I'd like a cookie...can I get one?

49RFootballNow
February 6th, 2013, 01:34 PM
I'd like a cookie...can I get one?

Sure there's one for sell near you somewhere. I recommend Oreos. Get some milk too, 2% for your health.

ASUMountaineer
February 6th, 2013, 01:38 PM
Sure there's one for sell near you somewhere. I recommend Oreos. Get some milk too, 2% for your health.

Ehh, I usually roll with 1% thanks to the wife's health kick. With that said, I thought you were giving them away. I don't feel like walking in uptown to purchase a cookie.

49RFootballNow
February 6th, 2013, 01:44 PM
Ehh, I usually roll with 1% thanks to the wife's health kick. With that said, I thought you were giving them away. I don't feel like walking in uptown to purchase a cookie.

You in Charlotte uptown?

Apphole
February 6th, 2013, 01:46 PM
You in Charlotte uptown?

Its "down town" you Yankee scum.

49RFootballNow
February 6th, 2013, 01:48 PM

Son I was born in FayetteNam, you don't know **** from manure.

Appaholic
February 6th, 2013, 01:51 PM

So you do not dispute the inference? You've accepted the fact that your football program's attendance will be envious of Mallard Creek HS & Butler HS?

Finally, a rational 49er fan...

Apphole
Son I was born in FayetteNam, you don't know **** from manure.

Well I'm perplexed by your use of a northern term.

ASUMountaineer
You in Charlotte uptown?

Yes.

ASUMountaineer
February 6th, 2013, 01:52 PM

You are correct. I am from up north, by Greensboro/High Point (Triad) way.

citdog
February 6th, 2013, 01:54 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNtDB5au1as

49RFootballNow
February 6th, 2013, 01:55 PM
So you do not dispute the inference? You've accepted the fact that your football program's attendance will be envious of Mallard Creek HS & Butler HS?

Finally, a rational 49er fan...

You and Apphole just drip so much envy, its purely entertaining to us Niner fans.

Another bright day dawns in Charlotte:
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/793788_10151221359461899_1453202732_o.jpg

Appaholic
February 6th, 2013, 02:00 PM
You and Apphole just drip so much envy, its purely entertaining to us Niner fans.

Another bright day dawns in Charlotte:
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/793788_10151221359461899_1453202732_o.jpg

Is that Homecoming?

Apphole
February 6th, 2013, 02:00 PM

All 12 of you?

xlolx You and your school are a nucleus of hype. You have built the Tower of Pisa on soft soil. Watching your stadium go from 15k for the first game, to <4,000 after a year will fuel my soul to the point that I will live forever.