PDA

View Full Version : Local Newspaper Previews Patriot League

carney2
August 27th, 2006, 09:54 AM
The Allentown Morning Call, or Mourning Crawl as it is called around my house, did its College Football Preview today. A very poor effort that didn't even do a good job with the local teams. Example: For a Page 1 Rivalry for the Ages, they chose Penn State-Notre Dame, two teams that are so entwined that they haven't played in 14 years. They did a full page each on Lafayette and Lehigh, but the only article included was focused on the QBs. Not much about the teams.

Here are some of the "gems" that I mined from the coverage:

Lafayette beat writer Don Bostrom picks the League as Colgate, Lafayette, Lehigh, Holy Cross, Fordham, Bucknell and Georgetown.

Lehigh beat writer Keith Groller casts his ballot as Lehigh, Colgate, Lafayette, Holy Cross, Bucknell, Fordham and Georgetown. No surprises here. Groller is a week in and week out Lehigh homer of huge proprtions.

Big surprise: Groller shows his starting Lehigh defense with no Royce Morgan. No one - including LFN - is giving adequate commentary on this. It's beginning to look as if Morgan, even if he gets things straightened out, may not be the factor that we all expected.

"Breakout Players:" Lafayette - WR Shaun Adair; Lehigh - WR Lee Thomas

"Players On The Spot:" Lafayette - MLB Justin Stovall; Lehigh - OLB Matt Mohler

Bostrom shows the following starters for Lafayette: TE Brendan Willard, CBs Adrian Lawson and Marvin Clecidor

For Lehigh I already mentioned the big surprise (Morgan), but Marques Thompson seems to be getting the nod over the larger bodies at TB

I wish that I had more but, as I said, it was a crappy bit of reporting.

cosmo here
August 27th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Express-Times predictions

1. Lehigh
2. Colgate
3. Lafayette
4. Fordham
5. Holy Cross
6. Georgetown
7. Bucknell

Overall with the Morning Call

1. Colgate and Lehigh (5)
3. Lafayette (8)
4. Holy Cross (13)
5. Fordham (15)
6. Bucknell (18)
7. Georgetown (20)

Also from the Express-Times . .

"The Patriot League is considered a junior Ivy League," Bean said. "It's an honor to play in the Patriot League."

"Less shotgun" is how John Reese described Coen's offense, "more getting after people"

At points in time during the season, usually critical points, we're going to have to be able to run the ball when everybody knows we're going to run it," Coen said.

"Blake Costanzo from Lafayette gave me a pretty good lick," Threatt said. "A couple guys got some licks on me. I just felt i needed to get stronger."

Coen replaced Lembo, who amassed Lehigh's best winning percentage before bolting for Elon University after a second consecutive loss left him out of the postseason for the third time in four years.

Coen described as the offensive coordinator at Lehigh during the glory years of Kevin Higgins when the Mountain Hawks won three league championships from 1996 through 1999.

It looks like Sokoloski is doing everything he can to downplay Lembo's tenure. "Left him out of the postseason" instead of Lehigh? come on.

cosmo here
August 27th, 2006, 10:34 AM
For a Page 1 Rivalry for the Ages, they chose Penn State-Notre Dame, two teams that are so entwined that they haven't played in 14 years.

xlolx

did you also notice that they called it Lehigh-Lafayette on the front page ?

I don't know why either paper hasn't had anything on the Royce Morgan situation other than a brief mention in a scrimmage story (in the Morning Call). This is potentially pretty big news.

65 Pard
August 27th, 2006, 10:49 AM
The Harrisburg Paper has several pages on Penn State....

A half page on Patriot League, 95% of which is about Bucknell.. This rag has a heavy Bucknell bias and covers Bucknell games closely, with nary a mention of Lehigh and Lafayette. I don't get it.

DFW HOYA
August 27th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Thanks to the Express-Times for a seat outside the cellar.

By reading the Morning Call online over the years, it seems that paper wouldn't mention Georgetown if it could get away with it.

On the other hand, no preview articles in either the Washington Post, Times, or Examiner.

ngineer
August 27th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Yes, the question about Morgan is on many people's minds, but at this point I don't know if they know what his status is. I'm hopeful I can find out more this afternoon/evening. I agree, the Call's supplement was lacking in many areas. I also like to follow Moravian and Muhlenberg--and they didn't even publish their schedules. I usually catch a Moravian game is Lehigh is away and I can't attend or we have a bye. Good little D-III program.
They also focused too much on individuals--Threatt and Maurer. Both teams' success or failure will ride on more than them. In fact, I think both could have excellent years and both teams not reach their expected levels without their respective defenses stepping to the fore. I don't see any PL teams being capable of getting involved regularly in 'track meet' games.
I think the Express-Times' picking Lehigh over Lafayette is their continued attempt to lure more readers from the 'west'--ie. Morning Call country. As well as a tool for Tavani's 'motivational' exercises...;)

Pard4Life
August 27th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Both the ET and Morning Call are usually poor when it comes to Lafayette coverage. Frankly, the Lafayette did a much better job than those two a season or two ago...

Once again, they clearly don't know what they are talking about. It's cliche to say that.. but it's true.. the Call picked Lafayette 4th last year... and I think their writer has beef with Tavani or the Pards.

I don't think G'town will be in the cellar... that belongs to Bucknell... it's theirs to lose.. er win.. whatever... And Lawson and Clecidor as starting CBs? I think he just read the May depth chart.. those might change..

And I guess we know who said that "junior Ivy League" comment that LFN wouldn't reveal... BEAN!... what a jerk.. 13, give him a talkin' to..

cosmo here
August 27th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Once again, they clearly don't know what they are talking about. It's cliche to say that.. but it's true.. the Call picked Lafayette 4th last year... and I think their writer has beef with Tavani or the Pards.

You are correct, sir.

And Lawson and Clecidor as starting CBs? I think he just read the May depth chart.. those might change..

I differ with you here . . that might change, but if you're going to be wrong, be wrong with what you got from the school instead of guessing or projecting halfway through the preseason. In a week most of this isn't relevant anyways.

Andy
August 27th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Hopefully these writers talk to a coach on the respective teams before posting a starting lineup. Otherwise they should sate it's their opinion.

As far as the CBs, I think, if healthy, Lawson is a certain starter. I can't say as to the other. In the scrimmage, with Lawson on the sidelines, Hunter and Cohen started.

The E-T has annoyed me with their predictions since '03 when there was plenty of reasons and popular opinion supporting a Pard first place prediction--yet the E-T went out of their way to pick us lower. I just don't understand a home-town paper going against the coaches poll, popular opinion, etc. and not supporting their local team when they easily could have. Maybe ngineer above has it exactly right, it's a sell out.

That being said, the E-T did a nice job with the injury report the other day and obviously show some insight here:

( Top newcomers: Offense -- Fr. FB Jeff Cumming, Jr. T Jesse Padilla, So. G Will Orozco, So. G Joe Moore, Jr. G Greg Lippert, So. T Leo Plenski. Defense --Fr. LB Spencer Brown, Fr. LB Mark Leggiero, So. CB Marvin Clecidor.

Only someone watching closely or who has spoken to an insider would know that Cumming and Leggiero have moved ahead of others at their positions who got the pre-season/recruit announcement touting from Coach T. (Ferber, Heaney)

I assume they'll keep Plenski out of the first game. Anyone know yet what their thinking is on the matter? DJ Brown went in for him in the scrimmage.

ngineer
August 27th, 2006, 06:07 PM
Well, we may get to see Morgan, but not too soon. What I'm hearing is that he has incomplete academics and, therefore, has been ineligible to practice right now. So, even if his academic standing is brought up to snuff soon, it would still be a few weeks before he could be 'game ready' to play. So I wouldn't be expect him to play before Harvard--or Princeton at the earliest. He's got a double major in computer science and math, so this doesn't have anything to due with 'brights', but being out of sync with certain dept. requirements.
We also have a number of walking wounded that will give a few backups time next week against Albany. Especially if we have wet field (Ernesto could be along the East coast by Saturday), coaches won't want to see players who are nicked up aggravating injuries.
Excellent comaraderie among the team. Only major 'loss' during camp was freshman Ben Harden, OL from Westerville, OH (St. Francis De Salles), 6'2", 285 lbs with broken leg in scrimmage last week. Was expected to see time this year, he was looking that good. Likely out for the year--but could still have four years left.
FIVE FRIGGIN DAYS TO GO!:hurray:

cosmo here
August 27th, 2006, 06:12 PM
I assume they'll keep Plenski out of the first game. Anyone know yet what their thinking is on the matter? DJ Brown went in for him in the scrimmage.

Plenski was listed with the other minor injuries in the paper the other day, along with guys who I would think will play Saturday (Torian Johnson, Liseno, Saint Germain and others). Looks like the offensive line was makeshift in the scrimmage without Saint and Leo.

ngineer
August 27th, 2006, 09:10 PM
The Allentown Morning Call, or Mourning Crawl as it is called around my house, did its College Football Preview today. A very poor effort that didn't even do a good job with the local teams. Example: For a Page 1 Rivalry for the Ages, they chose Penn State-Notre Dame, two teams that are so entwined that they haven't played in 14 years. They did a full page each on Lafayette and Lehigh, but the only article included was focused on the QBs. Not much about the teams.

Here are some of the "gems" that I mined from the coverage:

Lafayette beat writer Don Bostrom picks the League as Colgate, Lafayette, Lehigh, Holy Cross, Fordham, Bucknell and Georgetown.

Lehigh beat writer Keith Groller casts his ballot as Lehigh, Colgate, Lafayette, Holy Cross, Bucknell, Fordham and Georgetown. No surprises here. Groller is a week in and week out Lehigh homer of huge proprtions.

Big surprise: Groller shows his starting Lehigh defense with no Royce Morgan. No one - including LFN - is giving adequate commentary on this. It's beginning to look as if Morgan, even if he gets things straightened out, may not be the factor that we all expected.

"Breakout Players:" Lafayette - WR Shaun Adair; Lehigh - WR Lee Thomas

"Players On The Spot:" Lafayette - MLB Justin Stovall; Lehigh - OLB Matt Mohler

Bostrom shows the following starters for Lafayette: TE Brendan Willard, CBs Adrian Lawson and Marvin Clecidor

For Lehigh I already mentioned the big surprise (Morgan), but Marques Thompson seems to be getting the nod over the larger bodies at TB

I wish that I had more but, as I said, it was a crappy bit of reporting.

Marques will get the 'start' as much in deference to his senior status as his quickness and game break-ability. He will be our 'Westbrook', whereas McGowan and Pastore will be getting the 'hard yards' between the tackles, as well as Fay. Lehigh has, what we haven't had for awhile, some real depth in the backfield so that if someone goes down, we shouldn't miss a beat.

ngineer
August 27th, 2006, 09:14 PM
Both the ET and Morning Call are usually poor when it comes to Lafayette coverage. Frankly, the Lafayette did a much better job than those two a season or two ago...

I don't think G'town will be in the cellar... that belongs to Bucknell... it's theirs to lose.. er win.. whatever... And Lawson and Clecidor as starting CBs? I think he just read the May depth chart.. those might change..

And I guess we know who said that "junior Ivy League" comment that LFN wouldn't reveal... BEAN!... what a jerk.. 13, give him a talkin' to..

Yes, I was shocked when I read the article tonight after seeing you mention it...I couldn't believe a guy like that would make such a condescending comment like that..goes into the "What were they thinking of" category...Do your duty '13'!:spank: :spank: :spank: :asswhip: :asswhip: :asswhip: :asswhip:

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 27th, 2006, 09:23 PM
Well, we may get to see Morgan, but not too soon. What I'm hearing is that he has incomplete academics and, therefore, has been ineligible to practice right now. So, even if his academic standing is brought up to snuff soon, it would still be a few weeks before he could be 'game ready' to play. So I wouldn't be expect him to play before Harvard--or Princeton at the earliest. He's got a double major in computer science and math, so this doesn't have anything to due with 'brights', but being out of sync with certain dept. requirements.
We also have a number of walking wounded that will give a few backups time next week against Albany.

If that's the case i'll take it. I figured he might miss the first couple of games. A similiar incident happened to a Lehigh DB maybe 3 years agp and he missed the first 3 games i believe until he played. I don't think Morgan is a make or break player against Princeton or Albany and 'Nova might hurt us a little but if they're good enough to beat 'Nova they'll win with or without him. I'm banking on him being back for the Harvard game, which would be the 30th, anything before that is gravy.

Ken_Z
August 28th, 2006, 06:49 AM
A half page on Patriot League, 95% of which is about Bucknell.. This rag has a heavy Bucknell bias and covers Bucknell games closely, with nary a mention of Lehigh and Lafayette. I don't get it.

it's a business ==> need to sell papers ==> write about schools/teams that are of greatest interest ==> feature Bucknell :D

Pard4Life
August 28th, 2006, 09:23 AM
it's a business ==> need to sell papers ==> write about schools/teams that are of greatest interest ==> feature Bucknell :D

Bucknell football sells papers? :confused:

:D

Ken_Z
August 28th, 2006, 09:59 AM
Bucknell football sells papers? :confused:

:D

well, maybe it doesn't really sell papers, but i went to the website and read the article after i saw the posing about it. see, they got at least one extra hit by focusing on the Bison.

colgate13
August 28th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Yes, I was shocked when I read the article tonight after seeing you mention it...I couldn't believe a guy like that would make such a condescending comment like that..goes into the "What were they thinking of" category...Do your duty '13'!:spank: :spank: :spank: :asswhip: :asswhip: :asswhip: :asswhip:

Certainly a poor choice of words. If it helps, he is a really good guy in person.:o

KawKaw
August 28th, 2006, 07:46 PM
:hurray: Plenski and the rest of the line is getting healthier by the second, and don't expect him to sit out:hurray:

Andy
August 28th, 2006, 11:29 PM
:hurray: Plenski and the rest of the line is getting healthier by the second, and don't expect him to sit out:hurray:

I second that emoticon--:hurray: :hurray:

Good job, Kaw, keep it coming.

65 Pard
August 29th, 2006, 09:01 AM

I would venture that there are just as many Lehigh and Lafayette grads and followers living in the Harrisburg area as there are Bucknell.....All three schools are within a 75 minute drive from Harrisburg......so I still dont get it...