PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting Without Scholarships

DFW HOYA
February 4th, 2013, 09:38 PM
Coach Kevin Kelly's first extended comments on trying to recruit without scholarships in the PL:

"We're Georgetown. We're the best school in the league (academically)," he said. "We've got to dig a little bit deeper possibly than some of the other schools...

"We find guys that are high-need kids and guys that are no-need. The ones that we probably lose out on are the middle- class-type of family that might have to pay half of it, which is still $30,000, which is a lot of money. You're going to lose some to scholarship programs that might be able to give them a full scholarship."

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/02/04/in-fcs-huddle-scholarships-all-difference-in-patriot

RichH2
February 5th, 2013, 11:32 AM
Expect Kelly will continue to get same # and type of recruits he has gotten over last 2 or 3 years. He hasn't done badly. One big advantage he has is no outsde limit on roster or # of recruits he can bring in.

DFW HOYA
February 5th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Expect Kelly will continue to get same # and type of recruits he has gotten over last 2 or 3 years. He hasn't done badly. One big advantage he has is no outsde limit on roster or # of recruits he can bring in.

The Colgate board seems to think Georgetown is getting crushed this year in recruiting.

There is a significant difference in that Kelly can't match another PL school in 2013, where in 2012 the aid package might have been comparable between schools for a medium to high-need candidate. And the low-need candidate will certainly take a free ride over $30-50K in parent contribution. Anyone who thinks this is insignificant is kidding themselves.

Not sure about the roster limit you mention--I think this applies to all PL schools.

RichH2
February 5th, 2013, 12:34 PM
While a % of head to heads with other PL teams, not really that many. Rerring to 60 max and per yr limit. Altho, I think roster cap likewise s/n apply yo GU as it doesn't give schollies.

heath
February 5th, 2013, 07:07 PM
Believe it or not,many student athletes want to go to Georgetown for the education and location. Coach Kelly will have to pursue the recruits that traditionally want a great education and a chance to play D1 football. If he can sell the University, players will come. Many Georgetown recruits do not need $$$ so sell their future since most players will not play after the get their degree. I would have loved for either one of my sons to have graduated from Georgetown................even with the football field.

Sader87
February 5th, 2013, 07:51 PM
It's just a very tough hill to climb without scholarships....apples and oranges but the non-scholly PL teams were pretty much cannon fodder for scholarship HC teams in the 80's/early 90's.

I expect GTown to either ultimately give schollies or leave the PL ultimately.

citdog
February 5th, 2013, 07:52 PM
I expect GTown to either ultimately give schollies or leave the PL ultimately.

ultimately

CID1990
February 5th, 2013, 08:12 PM
Believe it or not,many student athletes want to go to Georgetown for the education and location. Coach Kelly will have to pursue the recruits that traditionally want a great education and a chance to play D1 football. If he can sell the University, players will come. Many Georgetown recruits do not need $$$ so sell their future since most players will not play after the get their degree. I would have loved for either one of my sons to have graduated from Georgetown................even with the football field.

I hear some of the ladies go there for the government subsidized jimmy hats.

citdog
February 5th, 2013, 08:20 PM
I hear some of the ladies go there for the government subsidized jimmy hats.

I'd still like to grudge hump Sandra for my friends who practice the mysteries of the church of rome.

http://abcnews.go.com/images/Politics/ap_sandra_fluke_cc_120905_ss_ssh.jpg

I'd double bag her head and holler "THIS IS FOR YOU D1B!"

CID1990
February 5th, 2013, 08:35 PM
I'd still like to grudge hump Sandra for my friends who practice the mysteries of the church of rome.

http://abcnews.go.com/images/Politics/ap_sandra_fluke_cc_120905_ss_ssh.jpg

I'd double bag her head and holler "THIS IS FOR YOU D1B!"

Man him and his brother would have a field day over here, but I don't think they are convinced Ralph is truly gone.