PDA

View Full Version : So this is the year App. State goes to ABAC North...

FCS_pwns_FBS
February 3rd, 2013, 01:27 PM
I have quite a conundrum this year for this game and I'm sure I'm not the only GSU fan who does. Who the heck am I supposed to pull for? It's like the Wicked Witch of the West traveling to the ocean to fight the Kraken. App. is lucky their state doesn't have an evil empire that like that which we have to deal with. :(

ThompsonThe
February 3rd, 2013, 01:44 PM
I have quite a conundrum this year for this game and I'm sure I'm not the only GSU fan who does. Who the heck am I supposed to pull for? It's like the Wicked Witch of the West traveling to the ocean to fight the Kraken. App. is lucky their state doesn't have an evil empire that like that which we have to deal with. :(

What the heck are you bellowing about? We don't have an evil empire to fight in North Carolina? We just get along so well with UNC-Chapel Hill, NC State, Duke, Wake Forest, ECU that you think we have no battles? Were you raised in a jar?

Skjellyfetti
February 3rd, 2013, 02:01 PM
I guess the perception is that we are the flagship school of North Carolina, and I'm ok with that. ;)

FCS_pwns_FBS
February 3rd, 2013, 02:20 PM
What the heck are you bellowing about? We don't have an evil empire to fight in North Carolina?

Well...not football wise. The biggest difference between UGA fandom and fandom for ECU and the triangle is the culture. If you don't think the state is UGA football nuts in a way no one is for any of the NC FBS schools you haven't spent enough time in both states. That's why so many GSU fans resent UGA.

I'm not so sure I'd like App. to score another BCS win but I'd love to see yall torch that defense and make them look bad.

citdog
February 3rd, 2013, 02:24 PM
Georgia will defeat app as badly as they want to.

FCS_pwns_FBS
February 3rd, 2013, 03:05 PM

They probably won't beat them quite as badly as they would like to.

The only reason we got completely run off the field was because in the second half UGA took away everything on the perimeter and since Swope had just come back from his concussion Monken didn't want to risk possibly losing him for the playoffs. He was taking it to them when he did get the ball, though.

The Moody1
February 3rd, 2013, 05:04 PM

At least one of the predictions you make on an hourly basis is probably correct. xblehx

eaglewraith
February 3rd, 2013, 06:11 PM
Once again, I'm cheering for the meteor. Maybe this time it'll come through for me.

mountaineer in Cane Land
February 3rd, 2013, 08:56 PM
GS gave Georgia a good fight last year, the score didnt reflect how close the game actually was.

eaglewraith
February 3rd, 2013, 11:44 PM
GS gave Georgia a good fight last year, the score didnt reflect how close the game actually was.

Oh what may have been without that momentum shift right before the half. That completely took us out of the game from that point on.

bullitt_60
February 4th, 2013, 12:26 AM
There are no winners in this one.

seantaylor
February 4th, 2013, 05:32 AM
Only game I would ever pull for Appy. I would bang Babs Bush if they won.

PaladinFan
February 4th, 2013, 05:35 AM
I see this one being as close as UGA wants it to be.

Apphole
February 4th, 2013, 08:29 AM

WHAT!?!?! We don't have an evil empire in North Carolina!?

I guarantee you that what UNC System members have to deal with is much worse than anything you experience at the hands of UGA. Do UGA alums dominate the board of governors and literally block every single bit of legislation that would help a member institution? Do they receive and incredibly disproportional amount of tax dollars? Do they receive preferential treatment from the NCAA and get slapped on the wrist for almost yearly scandals, all the way from sex scandals to academic fraud?

I know we're in similar boats with the "man" keeping us down and what not, but the iron fist with which the Great Evil runs this state’s public education system is unparalleled.

Apphole
February 4th, 2013, 08:30 AM
Only game I would ever pull for Appy. I would bang Babs Bush if they won.

Oh come on. I was pulling for the Stink against NDSU.

cmaxwellgsu
February 4th, 2013, 08:43 AM

I guarantee you that what UNC System members have to deal with is much worse than anything you experience at the hands of UGA. Do UGA alums dominate the board of governors and literally block every single bit of legislation that would help a member institution? Do they receive and incredibly disproportional amount of tax dollars? Do they receive preferential treatment from the NCAA and get slapped on the wrist for almost yearly scandals, all the way from sex scandals to academic fraud?

I know we're in similar boats with the "man" keeping us down and what not, but the iron fist with which the Great Evil runs this state’s public education system is unparalleled.

Yes to all of the above. Georgia's BOR is massively overrepresented by UGA grads, and have blocked many of our academic and athletic requests over the years. As far as sex scandals go, none were funnier than UGA's AD getting a DUI with his mistress's panties in his hand and trying to bribe the cop with UGA football tickets.

Eaglesrus
February 4th, 2013, 08:59 AM

Yes to all of the above. Georgia's BOR is massively overrepresented by UGA grads, and have blocked many of our academic and athletic requests over the years. As far as sex scandals go, none were funnier than UGA's AD getting a DUI with his mistress's panties in his hand and trying to bribe the cop with UGA football tickets.

I have to agree with cmaxwellgsu on this. In fact, last I looked, beyond the preponderance of UGA reps. on the GA Board of Regents, there were more members with ties to out-of-state schools than to any of the other schools in the state university system.

Apphole
February 4th, 2013, 09:02 AM

Seems like pretty similar situations. UGA is your UNC and GaSt is your UNCC.

UGA/UNC: Horribly oppressive regimes whose alumni are as fair-weather as they are arrogant.

GaSt/UNCC: Glorified community colleges with delusions of grandeur, no soul and no experience for students. Little man syndrome abounds.

Sound about right? We are also linked as the black sheep of the SoCon since we have tons of fans, championship expectations and aspirations beyond the lowly Southern Conference. Brothers in arms.

Oh, but I hate you all.

Eaglesrus
February 4th, 2013, 10:19 AM
Seems like pretty similar situations. UGA is your UNC and GaSt is your UNCC.

UGA/UNC: Horribly oppressive regimes whose alumni are as fair-weather as they are arrogant.

GaSt/UNCC: Glorified community colleges with delusions of grandeur, no soul and no experience for students. Little man syndrome abounds.

Sound about right? We are also linked as the black sheep of the SoCon since we have tons of fans, championship expectations and aspirations beyond the lowly Southern Conference. Brothers in arms.

Oh, but I hate you all.

You've wounded me :( but I think I'll be okay.

Saint3333
February 4th, 2013, 10:24 AM
I see this one being as close as UGA wants it to be.

As it would be for any FCS program next year.

PaladinFan
February 4th, 2013, 12:16 PM
As it would be for any FCS program next year.

Of course. SoCon has a long history of keeping these games closer than many expect. Still, I am under no misconceptions. These games stay close until the other team decides they are getting embarrassed in front of their home fans. When they turn it on, its hard to hold back the flood.

Furman gained a lot of respect putting it on Florida two years ago in a game many thought would be a laugher. Once Florida decided they'd have enough or Furman's magic wore off, game over.

Apphole
February 4th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Of course. SoCon has a long history of keeping these games closer than many expect. Still, I am under no misconceptions. These games stay close until the other team decides they are getting embarrassed in front of their home fans. When they turn it on, its hard to hold back the flood.

Furman gained a lot of respect putting it on Florida two years ago in a game many thought would be a laugher. Once Florida decided they'd have enough or Furman's magic wore off, game over.

Sadly, Appalachian is a victim of our own success when it comes to money games. We have the hardest time with FBS opponents every since we beat UM. We've gotten their best shot every year. A VT player was interviewed after the App game and said they were more prepared for the game against ASU than the bowl game a season before. We got our dicks kicked in by VT and Florida. We actually almost beat EZU even with their best shot. Thats CUSA for you though. Wofford or Stink could easily win 3-4 games if they played a CUSA schedule.

PaladinFan
February 4th, 2013, 12:50 PM
Sadly, Appalachian is a victim of our own success when it comes to money games. We have the hardest time with FBS opponents every since we beat UM. We've gotten their best shot every year. A VT player was interviewed after the App game and said they were more prepared for the game against ASU than the bowl game a season before. We got our dicks kicked in by VT and Florida. We actually almost beat EZU even with their best shot. Thats CUSA for you though. Wofford or Stink could easily win 3-4 games if they played a CUSA schedule.

The Michigan game will follow them a while. Furman has trended well in FBS games outside of Clemson, perhaps the only big school that knows better than to overlook Furman and Wofford. South Carolina, for whatever reason, didn't get that message and has struggled mightily against both.

I don't do a lot of text messaging, but when Furman went up by 22 against Florida in the Swamp, my cell phone exploded from all of my UGA friends hearing the score updates during the Georgia game. For about 30 minutes I thought Furman was going to get into the post season by losing to Elon and beating Florida.

CID1990
February 4th, 2013, 12:54 PM

That wont last forever. We had a hell of a time with FBS teams after beating USC and Arkansas and the service academies in that 6 year stretch. Even Wyoming played the lights out against us after that. USC finally scheduled us again after 20 years, but then they played flat again.

FCS_pwns_FBS
February 4th, 2013, 12:56 PM

That's coming from a guy who thinks you should never pull for any conference mate in an OOC game (rival or not) under any circumstance.

We got absolutely massacred in the third quarter, but like I said, a big part of that is that we didn't want to risk Swope getting another concussion. He could ran over them in the second half without much problem and added another couple of touchdowns, though.

PaladinFan
February 4th, 2013, 02:08 PM
That's coming from a guy who thinks you should never pull for any conference mate in an OOC game (rival or not) under any circumstance.

We got absolutely massacred in the third quarter, but like I said, a big part of that is that we didn't want to risk Swope getting another concussion. He could ran over them in the second half without much problem and added another couple of touchdowns, though.

It's one thing to run headlong into SoCon defensive linemen 30 times a game. Quite another to do it against UGA's front four.

FCS_pwns_FBS
February 4th, 2013, 03:57 PM
It's one thing to run headlong into SoCon defensive linemen 30 times a game. Quite another to do it against UGA's front four.
He was nowhere near 30 Carries against UGA. And he didn't have much trouble running on Bama for four quarters.

PaladinFan
February 4th, 2013, 07:43 PM
He was nowhere near 30 Carries against UGA. And he didn't have much trouble running on Bama for four quarters.

Was Swope at risk for a concussion against Alabama? My point is that if you are risking a concussion, best not run into a defensive line as big and athletic as Georgia's is. Live to fight another day.

SpeedkingATL
February 5th, 2013, 10:31 AM
The good news for App is that the best 7-8 players on UGA's defense are going to the NFL. The bad news is that they return 10 starters on one of the best offenses in the country. I would be very happy if App hung with them for a half like GaSo did this year. Maybe UGA will fumble 8 times that Saturday, who knows.

Living in ATL I'd rather beat UGA than any FBS team expect maybe UNC but since that game will never happen......................

PaladinFan
February 5th, 2013, 03:02 PM
The good news for App is that the best 7-8 players on UGA's defense are going to the NFL. The bad news is that they return 10 starters on one of the best offenses in the country. I would be very happy if App hung with them for a half like GaSo did this year. Maybe UGA will fumble 8 times that Saturday, who knows.

Living in ATL I'd rather beat UGA than any FBS team expect maybe UNC but since that game will never happen......................

UNC only schedules Furman when they want to fire their coach.

Southern Bison
February 5th, 2013, 11:36 PM

This proves that you're just not that bright. It'll be interesting to see how App State plays against GaSo's nemisis.

soweagle
February 7th, 2013, 09:18 AM

This is a game that App would be better playing in Sept for reasons below:
1) As you mentioned, a lot of new faces on defense, lots of talent gone.
2) UGA will have 4-5 starters suspended for the first few games if history is a good indicator
3) UGA always starts the season slow and tends to play their best ball in the second half of season (could be because of the usual suspensions).

Their offense is going to be tough for anyone next year. The question mark will be the defense. I think App will be able to move the ball but probably wont be able to stop them. Their two running backs (from NC by the way) are going to be tough as sophmores next year.

I'll be an app fan that day.

Apphole
February 7th, 2013, 10:09 AM
This proves that you're just not that bright. It'll be interesting to see how App State plays against GaSo's nemisis.

How so? Pulling for a SoCon team in the playoffs after we're out makes me "not that bright?"

GSUhooligan
February 7th, 2013, 11:53 AM
This is like asking me to pull for Jerry Sandusky or the Newtown shooter......

FCS_pwns_FBS
February 7th, 2013, 11:56 AM
This is like asking me to pull for Jerry Sandusky or the Newtown shooter......

Though some would probably disagree, I would say there's a lesser of two evils there just like with App. State versus UGA....

Apphole
February 7th, 2013, 12:00 PM
Though some would probably disagree, I would say there's a lesser of two evils there just like with App. State versus UGA....

Its a shame you can't seem to beat either one of us.

parr90
February 10th, 2013, 06:57 PM
This is all a myth! Hits come in different forms from different types of situations and players. It doesn't matter if its Georgia or Furman.