PDA

View Full Version : Knock Knock

superman7515
February 1st, 2013, 09:28 PM
ASN - FOIA Request (http://www.appstatenation.com/2013/02/01/exclusive-foia-request-reveals-possible-sun-belt-expansion-plan/)

Two weeks ago, I personally filed a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request with both Appalachian State and Georgia Southern regarding any documents they had pertaining to conference realignment.

Today, Georgia Southern sent me the documents I asked for. There are roughly 50 pages in all. Some of them are common press releases, others unexciting emails. There are a few, however, that were VERY interesting. None more interesting than the 2 pages I am about to show you.

This is an email dated Dec 22, 2012 @ 10:21 AM. I actually have this email multiple times at various stages of the “forwarding” process. I chose the one with the least amount of “Confidentiality” statements.

There are emails leading up to this where Karl Benson and new Georgia Southern AD Tom Kleinlein arrange meetings. This one is obviously a follow up to one of those meetings. The email itself isn’t what struck me. It’s the amount of talk about how the attachment was “confidential” (especially at later stages in the forwarding process) and of course the attachment itself:

http://www.appstatenation.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/FOIAEmail2.jpg

dgtw
February 1st, 2013, 09:35 PM
Benson told the GSU person "Good luck with your move". Was he referring to GSU moving to the Sun Belt or did the GSU guy buy a new house?

FCS_pwns_FBS
February 1st, 2013, 10:00 PM
Benson told the GSU person "Good luck with your move". Was he referring to GSU moving to the Sun Belt or did the GSU guy buy a new house?

That email was to Tom Kleinlein, the new GSU AD. The email is around the time when he was starting the job, so it makes sense he would be talking about him moving from Akron to Statesboro.

Furthermore, I seriously doubt the Sun Belt has made any kind of votes on new additions before they know what will happen in the higher rungs of the conference ladder.

RadioFan
February 1st, 2013, 10:01 PM
He released more info from the FOIA:

The Fact sheet itself is the real jewel here, because it comes from Karl Benson and lists every Sun Belt school, then has the words “Potential Members” followed by a collection of school names. Note that I have no idea if these schools are SERIOUS candidates, but at the very least, these are schools that being somewhat considered.

I'll not list the schools, so he can get the web hits since he did put in some good work getting this info
http://www.appstatenation.com/2013/02/01/exclusive-e-mail-obtained-via-foia-request-reveals-sun-belt-expansion-candidates/

citdog
February 1st, 2013, 10:25 PM
ASN - FOIA Request (http://www.appstatenation.com/2013/02/01/exclusive-foia-request-reveals-possible-sun-belt-expansion-plan/)

http://www.appstatenation.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/FOIAEmail2.jpg

it's like all the goofy, fat, buck toothed, bowlegged, and bump covered women getting together every saturday in the fall. that's a collection of losers that is.

ASU_Fanatic
February 1st, 2013, 10:28 PM
NEXT BOISE ST LEHGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

dgtw
February 1st, 2013, 10:33 PM
I was at a Jax State alumni function the other night and the AD was the guest speaker. After his speech, he took questions from the floor and was asked about moving to FBS.

He did not seem to indicate he was in any big hurry to move. He said th bottom level FBS schools (such as those in the Sun Belt) lose a lot of money and many of the top in FCS do well where they are. He seemed to make JSU a top notch FCS school and talked about improving facilities overall. He mentioned a new softball field and starting to raise money for a new basketball arena.

So we may be staying put for a while.

citdog
February 1st, 2013, 10:52 PM
NEXT BOISE ST LEHGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

more like the next buffalo

ASU_Fanatic
February 1st, 2013, 10:55 PM
more like the next buffalo

nah, app would do great in a conference like the sun belt. form day 1 theyd have the most hostile environment in the conference which is awesome to think about

citdog
February 1st, 2013, 10:59 PM
nah, app would do great in a conference like the sun belt. form day 1 theyd have the most hostile environment in the conference which is awesome to think about

I found it down right hospitable on my last visit.

chattanoogamocs
February 2nd, 2013, 12:30 AM
I was at a Jax State alumni function the other night and the AD was the guest speaker. After his speech, he took questions from the floor and was asked about moving to FBS.

He did not seem to indicate he was in any big hurry to move. He said th bottom level FBS schools (such as those in the Sun Belt) lose a lot of money and many of the top in FCS do well where they are. He seemed to make JSU a top notch FCS school and talked about improving facilities overall. He mentioned a new softball field and starting to raise money for a new basketball arena.

So we may be staying put for a while.

Moose is a pretty smart guy. 5 years down the road, the top of the FCS and the bottom of FBS probably won't be much different (hell, it isn't much different right now).

chattanoogamocs
February 2nd, 2013, 12:36 AM
Interesting, but not terribly surprising, that Chattanooga is mentioned on the list (I am sure just as someone they would want to keep tabs on, but not really any high level of interest)

I know UTC has no interest in moving up, but it always nice to be noticed...and, of course, the overall program is good, the media market is nice (with good coverage), the facilities are good...not to mention that is it in the dead center of the Sun Belt footprint (which now had a gigantic whole in the middle after MTSU left)

Tubakat2014
February 2nd, 2013, 12:44 AM

Agreed. Here's what I wonder, though. What long term effect, if any, would being in the Sun Belt have on App's fanbase? So many of the other Sun Belt/C-USA fanbases almost seem neutered in terms of their energy level when compared to the top FCS and FBS teams. More specifically, the top FCS teams compare quite well to Sun Belt teams in average attendance, but there seems to be more enthusiasm surrounding the FCS teams.

I don't doubt that App should move up, I'm just wondering about possible "side effects", if you will.

dgtw
February 2nd, 2013, 07:47 AM
Interesting, but not terribly surprising, that Chattanooga is mentioned on the list (I am sure just as someone they would want to keep tabs on, but not really any high level of interest)

I know UTC has no interest in moving up, but it always nice to be noticed...and, of course, the overall program is good, the media market is nice (with good coverage), the facilities are good...not to mention that is it in the dead center of the Sun Belt footprint (which now had a gigantic whole in the middle after MTSU left)

That's probably how they got on the list. A decent sized market in the middle of Sun Belt land. The list looked like something he just threw together of every school in the area he could think of. You'd probably need to start a baseball team before moving up, however.

RadioFan
February 2nd, 2013, 09:29 AM
That's probably how they got on the list. A decent sized market in the middle of Sun Belt land. The list looked like something he just threw together of every school in the area he could think of. You'd probably need to start a baseball team before moving up, however.

Baseball is pretty important to the SunBelt. That is also another reason for them wanting GaSo and AppSt.

citdog
February 2nd, 2013, 09:35 AM
Baseball is pretty important to the SunBelt. That is also another reason for them wanting GaSo and AppSt.

if they wanted you........you'd be there.

got invite?

CID1990
February 2nd, 2013, 10:08 AM
If that map actually shakes out that way it will be a good conference.

seantaylor
February 3rd, 2013, 12:42 AM

Does one season make Appy a power? Especially since the coach is now gone.

Saint3333
February 3rd, 2013, 06:50 AM
30+ wins for 6 straight years, not a pwer but a solid team.

seantaylor
February 4th, 2013, 05:22 AM
30 wins means nothing. Case in point, Rodney Hennon. GSU baseball is the class of the Socon, but this guy underachievers every single season. 33 wins last year was his career low.

ASUMountaineer
February 4th, 2013, 06:46 AM
if they wanted you........you'd be there.

got invite?

Rest assured, if there's a thread that mentions ASU, citdog will be there.