PDA

View Full Version : Is There A Rumor Of Nicholls Or UCA Moving To D2?

superman7515
February 1st, 2013, 10:14 AM
A lot of movement going on at the D2 level, new conferences coming on board, schools from Mexico trying to get approval to enter the NCAA, schools jumping in from D3 and the NAIA... and for some reason they feel the need to watch Nicholls and Central Arkansas?

http://www.theseniorreports.com/ncaad2.htm

The following is a list of schools we will be watching to see if they apply for D2 membership in 2013. This is only a projected list and the list will be updated during the year.

LAST UPDATED - 1-31-13

Emmanuel College (1-23-13)
Southern Wesleyan University (1-15-13)
Auburn University Montgomery (12-8-12)
Mississippi College (currently D3)
Spring Hill College – will apply this year (confirmed 10-2-12)
++Davenport University

***Schools Below***
**WILL NOT APPLY IN 2013**
**CONFIRMED**
*Cal State - San Marcos - confirmed 1-31-13

Indiana Wesleyan University - confirmed 1-31-13

Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University – will not apply this cycle
Middle Georgia State - is also looking at NAIA – cannot move
directly to NCAA from NJCAA due to NCAA scheduling requirements that MGS does not meet
Loyola University of New Orleans – will not apply this cycle, looking at 2014
Purdue University Calumet – will not apply this cycle
Northern New Mexico College – do not mean minimum sport requirements to be accepted into NCAA
####(UPDATED 1-24-13)above schools information came from reliable sources

University of Nuevo Leon (Mexico)
Monterrey Tech (Mexico)
(The vote on No. 2013-9 to extend the international member pilot
program to Mexico was equally close, failing 138-141 with 14 abstentions.)

Olivet Nazarene University (will remain NAIA - confirmed 8-3-12)

Xavier University (La) - will not apply this year and is pursuing
membership in the Southern State Athletic Conference (8-24-12)
- 2 sources

*Georgetown (Ky) College (has decided not to apply - 11-1-12)

++West Virginia Institute of Technology (12-30-12 - school confirms will not apply)

Concordia University (Oregon) - 1-4-13 - Concordia University
will not apply for NCAA D-II membership in February 2013 and
will continue to evaluate options moving forward.

Nicholls State University - 12-30-12 - School officials say they will remain D1

University of Central Arkansas (currently D1)
- will not return to D2, confirmed by school- 1-3-13

University of Texas - Dallas (currently D3)
1-4-13 - committed member of the American Southwest Conference
and the NCAA Division III at this time. per school will
not apply

Louisiana College (currently D3)
1-4-13 - Louisiana College is not contemplating a move from
the American Southwest Conference. Louisiana College is
comfortable at the Division III level and have forged
good working relationships in athletics with other schools
in our conference. You can remove our school from your watch list.

++ - did not apply last year, but has been turned down in the past
*- denotes school was denied D2 membership in 2012

Now, both schools have denied they will move back down, but was there ever a rumor or reason to believe they were moving out of D1?

TheRevSFA
February 1st, 2013, 10:35 AM
UCA had an episode where the academic staff said that athletics should move down due to cost. The President and AD looked at them as was like "Yeah..we are making money"

Not sure about Nicholls They are so close to not being able to afford it plus aren't really a competitor in the conference. I have a soft spot in my heart for the Swamp People so I hope they turn it around

dgtw
February 1st, 2013, 11:44 AM
I hadn't heard that about Auburn-Montgomery moving to DII from NAIA. Of course, anything not related to Alabama or Auburn-Auburn is ignored and with the local paper now a thrice weekly product, reading about other schools is even rarer.

catamount man
February 1st, 2013, 01:34 PM
I hadn't heard that about Auburn-Montgomery moving to DII from NAIA. Of course, anything not related to Alabama or Auburn-Auburn is ignored and with the local paper now a thrice weekly product, reading about other schools is even rarer.

UAB stands for "U ain't BAMA". LOL! I feel for fans of other schools in that state.

eaglewraith
February 1st, 2013, 04:58 PM
Who the **** is Middle Georgia State? I live in that area and I know of a Middle Georgia College, but no Middle Georgia State.

UAalum72
February 1st, 2013, 05:07 PM
Who the **** is Middle Georgia State? I live in that area and I know of a Middle Georgia College, but no Middle Georgia State.
By act of the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia, on January 8, 2013, Middle Georgia College merged with Macon State College to form Middle Georgia State College

http://www.mga.edu/

dbackjon
February 1st, 2013, 05:08 PM

New name for Middle Georgia College...

Middle Georgia State College is an institution that was formed from the consolidation of Middle Georgia College, which was established in 1884, and Macon State College, which was established in 1965. The new college was created by action of the University System of Georgia Board of Regents on January 8, 2013. [1] The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools approved the consolidation in December 2012. [2]

eaglewraith
February 1st, 2013, 05:15 PM
Oh, well that explains things.

dgtw
February 1st, 2013, 07:02 PM
Why did they merge? Was one of them a HBCU?

eaglewraith
February 1st, 2013, 07:32 PM
Why did they merge? Was one of them a HBCU?

Neither were. It's a cost savings move the University System of Georgia did this year. There were rumors about Georgia Southern and Armstrong Atlantic State getting combined (ugh). There was a real big pissing match about what is now Georgia Regents University in Augusta.

Basically it's all politics under the guise of saving money.

GeauxLions94
February 1st, 2013, 09:24 PM

You mean the New Orleans Times Picayune is AU-M's local paper???

dgtw
February 1st, 2013, 09:39 PM
You mean the New Orleans Times Picayune is AU-M's local paper???

No, the Birmingham News (owned by the same company that owns the New Orleans paper) also runs a three day print cycle. Its the same deal with the Huntsville (Ala) and Mobile papers, also under the same corporate umbrella. I live in the Birmingham area and as a lifelong newspaper addict this annoys me to no end.

The Montgomery paper still runs every day, however.

NoCoDanny
February 2nd, 2013, 02:20 AM
What is Mexican football like? I'm guessing a lot of illegal penalties that get ignored?

BEAR
February 2nd, 2013, 08:20 AM
Let's just squash the UCA to division II rumor right now.

IT'S NOT HAPPENING.

UCA is now getting into their paycheck games and donors have stepped up immensly. If you were to ask UCA admins the FIRST year of transition to division I, they would have told you finances were VERY tight. But now...NOT EVEN CLOSE. UCA is Division I for good. We've acclimated to the costs and the logistics. End of discussion.

Nicholls on the other hand with the way they do financing in Louisiana...I just don't know.