PDA

View Full Version : LCA grad transfers from Pitt to Western Kentucky

Killtoppers90
August 26th, 2006, 09:18 PM
http://www.newsadvance.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=Common%2FMGArticle%2FPrintVersi on&c=MGArticle&cid=1149190215333&image=newsadvance80x60.gif&oasDN=newsadvance.com&oasPN=%21sports

With Eddie Pinigis, Rashad Jennings and Stevie Ray Lloyd already having transferred from Division I-A schools to Liberty, the natural question was there: Is Tyler Tipton next?

Tipton, an LCA grad who played a year under Dave Wannstedt at Pittsburgh, had conversations with Flames coach Danny Rocco about joining LU, but he found a better fit to the west. Tipton enrolled at Western Kentucky and will be in uniform for the Hilltoppers opener at Georgia next Saturday, his father Harold confirmed Friday.

Tipton was released from his scholarship at Pittsburgh several weeks ago and considered WKU, LU, James Madison and Appalachian State. Tipton was offered a full scholarship at Western Kentucky and immediately figured into the Hilltoppers' 3-4 defense as a starter at inside linebacker.

Tipton, who was recruited by former Pitt coach Walt Harris to play fullback for the Panthers, switched to linebacker last fall and appeared in eight games. He made one tackle. He fell behind on the depth chart during the spring and summer and sought an opportunity for more playing time.

Tipton and Jennings were roommates at Pitt and played together on LCA's state championship team in 2004.

Western Kentucky won the Division I-AA championship in 2002, defeating McNeese State 34-14.

Sly Fox
August 26th, 2006, 09:48 PM
We've been waiting his decision for some time now. Congrats on the pickup. By all accounts I've heard from Lynchburg he's a great kid.

Killtoppers90
August 27th, 2006, 02:01 PM
I hope he is a quality human being not to mention a beast on the field!

Toppermaniac
August 27th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Didn't we also just get a WR transfer from Mich. St.?