PDA

View Full Version : WKU President lays out schedule of forums to discuss I-A

galojay
August 26th, 2006, 07:58 PM
Can't believe this hadn't made it over here already:

Email from WKU president to faculty and staff on Football

Fellow Faculty and Staff:

As I indicated in our opening Convocation, we will discuss throughout our University family, the matter of division I-A football over the next several weeks. This has been a matter that has received considerable attention on our campus for the last few years. The time has come to engage our campus in a thoughtful, thorough, and objective dialogue. I will be collecting as much information as possible in order to make an informed recommendation to our Board of Regents.

In this regard, we will use the following schedule as a means to bring as much insight and discussion among key groups in our University family as possible.
August 15 Meet with football coaches.
August 16 Meet with football team.
August 17 Notify Patty Viverito, the Commissioner of the Gateway Conference, that discussions are under way.
August 18 Meet with Wright Waters, Commissioner of the Sun Belt Conference, to seek insight and inform that discussions are under way.
August 18 Meet with Hilltoppper Athletic Foundation Board of Directors/W-Club Board.
August 29 Meet with University Athletics Committee.
September 13 Meet with WKU Touchdown Club.
September 13 Conduct faculty/staff forum.
September 19 Conduct forum for HAF members.
September 20 Conduct forum for students.
September 21 Conduct forum for WKU alumni.
September 21 Discuss with University Senate at the first Senate meeting in FY 06-07.
October 2 Board Committee meetings.

I look forward to discussing this matter with all interested parties over the next several weeks. Thank you.

Gary Ransdell

Jafus (Thinker)
August 26th, 2006, 08:29 PM
It reads as if things are seriously moving forward towards such a move.

TexasTerror
August 26th, 2006, 08:33 PM
A Western Kentucky move to BS...

Canadian schools allowed into the NCAA...

More Div IIs moving up to CS (Presbyterian, North Dakota, possibly South Dakota and of course North Carolina Central)...

Schools adding football (Old Dominion and maybe Georgia St, George Mason, Lamar and A&M-CC among others)...

We're fixing to have another conference shakeup...

GeauxColonels
August 26th, 2006, 09:38 PM
Well, at least it seems as though they're going to go about it the right way - getting input from ALL of the school's stakeholders from current students to faculty to alumni.

August 26th, 2006, 10:02 PM
Only four SB athletic programs made a profit, only one more than $144K (averaging a loss of $382K on football -- after the bowl payouts!!). Whatever is BEST for your school, whatever is BEST.

GeauxColonels
August 26th, 2006, 11:05 PM
Only four SB athletic programs made a profit, only one more than $144K (averaging a loss of $382K on football -- after the bowl payouts!!). Whatever is BEST for your school, whatever is BEST.
Speaking of the Sun Belt...I know this is off-topic...but you really have to LOVE how the NCAA is letting UL-Monroe play Arkansas at a "neutral site" - Little Rock, Arkansas - and count it as a HOME game! The sole purpose is so ULM can pad it's attendance stats for the year.:bang: :bang:

galojay
August 26th, 2006, 11:14 PM

I'd be curious how many I-AA's make money with football. The costs are less, but the revenues are less as well.

I don't disagree Ralph, I-A is expensive. Football is expensive.

therealbigredrules
August 26th, 2006, 11:21 PM
Well, at least it seems as though they're going to go about it the right way - getting input from ALL of the school's stakeholders from current students to faculty to alumni.

dog-and-pony show.

NOUN: Slang An elaborate presentation orchestrated to gain approval, as for a policy or product.

http://www.bartleby.com/61/wavs/1/D0320100.wav

GeauxColonels
August 26th, 2006, 11:28 PM
dog-and-pony show.

NOUN: Slang An elaborate presentation orchestrated to gain approval, as for a policy or product.

http://www.bartleby.com/61/wavs/1/D0320100.wav
Yeah, I understand that....but at least they're doing that much. I've known school's (that will go unnamed) that have made decisions on extremely sensitive decisions without the input of alumni, faculty and going AGAINST the student body wishes.

ucdtim17
August 27th, 2006, 01:41 AM
Speaking of the Sun Belt...I know this is off-topic...but you really have to LOVE how the NCAA is letting UL-Monroe play Arkansas at a "neutral site" - Little Rock, Arkansas - and count it as a HOME game! The sole purpose is so ULM can pad it's attendance stats for the year.:bang: :bang:

San Jose fans are pretty excited now because apparently they'll be able to count students who pay fees but don't attend games as attending - so look for SJSU to average well over 30,000 this year :rolleyes:

August 27th, 2006, 02:05 AM
I'd be curious how many I-AA's make money with football. The costs are less, but the revenues are less as well.
I don't disagree Ralph, I-A is expensive. Football is expensive.Well, looky there. WKU is the only school in the GFC to report a profit in football... :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: In fact they report making more profit than most teams in the SB. Why is WKU looking at moving to the SB again?

therealbigredrules
August 27th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Well, looky there. WKU is the only school in the GFC to report a profit in football... :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: In fact they report making more profit than most teams in the SB. Why is WKU looking at moving to the SB again?

WKU is in the sun belt and most of us hate it. Your questions should be, "why is WKU looking at moving to I-A?" Why?

1) BASKETBALL
2) So we can get OUT of the SunBelt
3) The MVC (Gateway for the most part) does not seem to want us and they are the only real option to move up and keep I-AA.
4) The OVC is a step back (sorry guys)
5) We have very little options to move up in conference when the next shake up takes place and remain I-AA. It is sad.

On a side note, I wish everyone would stop using the P&L's for NCAA sports. ALL of them are a JOKE. When looking at NCAA P&L's, the only thing I can tell you is they are ALL wrong.

Killtoppers90
August 27th, 2006, 01:59 PM
WKU is in the sun belt and most of us hate it.

Speak for yourself! I think the Belt is an up and coming conference. Of course there is only one place to go from the basement, but the SBC is doing things the right way (scheduling, competiton, facilities) to take the newest 1-A conference and make it as competitive as possible. It took the MAC a bit of time to garner respect from other 1-A conferences, the Belt can do the same!

Toppermaniac
August 27th, 2006, 02:04 PM
The Sunbelt sucks. I'd much rather stay 1-AA than move into the Sun Belt. It also sucks as a basketball conference and is holding our program back.

therealbigredrules
August 27th, 2006, 02:23 PM
The Sunbelt sucks. I'd much rather stay 1-AA than move into the Sun Belt. It also sucks as a basketball conference and is holding our program back.

100% dead on right.

Toppermaniac
August 27th, 2006, 03:55 PM
100% dead on right.

I just wish everyone else would realize it before it's too late.

crunifan
August 27th, 2006, 04:24 PM
If WKU leaves the Gateway, will we look to add new teams? Or stick with 7?

ucdtim17
August 27th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Speak for yourself! I think the Belt is an up and coming conference. Of course there is only one place to go from the basement, but the SBC is doing things the right way (scheduling, competiton, facilities) to take the newest 1-A conference and make it as competitive as possible. It took the MAC a bit of time to garner respect from other 1-A conferences, the Belt can do the same!

Doing it right? You mean by traveling around and getting the **** kicked out of you for big checks? Playing "home" games at a "neutral" site near a BCS school to reach the 15k attendance minimum? Did you read that NYT article? What's the point of even having a football team if all you do is travel around to get beat up for money - I bet NFL teams would pay even more, why not schedule them instead? :rolleyes:

Killtoppers90
August 27th, 2006, 05:46 PM
Those things are not permanent traits of the Belt or Mac or WAC. But it does take time to build a quality program and strong FB conference, just like it does in 1-AA and newer teams have to take their lumps before they can create a winning tradition in 1-A. A friend of mine once said, in order to the the man, you;ve gotta beat the man. And we have to play them to have a chance to beat them. Right?

ucdtim17
August 27th, 2006, 06:41 PM
I think it's obvious to everyone which conference does not belong in I-A - those schools belong in I-AA any way you slice it but for some reason the NCAA won't bite down and enforce their own rules

Killtoppers90
August 27th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Tim,

If you will check the NCAA findings, the teams that didn't make the 15K attendance requirements were more MAc theam than SBC. The ONLY SBC team that failed to make the cut was UL- Monroe. While a majority of those in the MAC didn't meet the NCAA standards. I think this was posted here a while back. If not, here is a link I found: http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/1%2C1249%2C645192321%2C00.html

GeauxColonels
August 27th, 2006, 07:35 PM
Tim,

If you will check the NCAA findings, the teams that didn't make the 15K attendance requirements were more MAc theam than SBC. The ONLY SBC team that failed to make the cut was UL- Monroe. While a majority of those in the MAC didn't meet the NCAA standards. I think this was posted here a while back. If not, here is a link I found: http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/1%2C1249%2C645192321%2C00.html
Yet instead of being hard-core about the attendance requirement, the NCAA is going to permit ULM to count a game in LITTLE ROCK, ARKANSAS against the UNIVERSITY of ARKANSAS as a home gome. Give me a break!

skinny_uncle
August 27th, 2006, 07:59 PM
WKU is in the sun belt and most of us hate it. Your questions should be, "why is WKU looking at moving to I-A?" Why?

1) BASKETBALL
2) So we can get OUT of the SunBelt
3) The MVC (Gateway for the most part) does not seem to want us and they are the only real option to move up and keep I-AA.
4) The OVC is a step back (sorry guys)
5) We have very little options to move up in conference when the next shake up takes place and remain I-AA. It is sad.

On a side note, I wish everyone would stop using the P&L's for NCAA sports. ALL of them are a JOKE. When looking at NCAA P&L's, the only thing I can tell you is they are ALL wrong.
The MVC simply doesn't want to add a team to their 10 team league and give up the home and home scheduling where everyone plays each other twice. If a school left the Valley, WKU would be one of the top teams considered as replacements. They would be a very good fit if there was room.

skinny_uncle
August 27th, 2006, 08:03 PM
I hope they don't leave. I don't see anyone else to add of their caliber that makes geographic sense at the moment. I'd say cross that bridge if we come to it.

Killtoppers90
August 27th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Yet instead of being hard-core about the attendance requirement, the NCAA is going to permit ULM to count a game in LITTLE ROCK, ARKANSAS against the UNIVERSITY of ARKANSAS as a home gome. Give me a break!
That is still ONE team in a fledgling league over 7 that can't make the cut in one that is seen to be better.

therealbigredrules
August 27th, 2006, 09:31 PM

If you did not like ULM vs Arkansas you need to look at this one from 2002.....

Aug 31, 2002

NCAAF FINAL 1ST 2ND 3RD 4TH TOTAL
--- --- --- --- -----
TENNESSEE (4) 10 10 21 6 47
WYOMING 0 0 0 7 7 FINAL

Why is this a bid deal? Wyoming was the HOME team and the game was played in Nashville. How do I know...I was at the game.

blur2005
August 27th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Alright, completely off subject but c'mon, it's I-A and I-AA (though not much longer), not 1-A or 1-AA. I would think this would be the first thing people pick up on this site.

SO ILLmatic
August 27th, 2006, 11:35 PM

Imo I think we'll stick with 7 for right now. Who else could we put in to replace them?

The MVC simply doesn't want to add a team to their 10 team league and give up the home and home scheduling where everyone plays each other twice. If a school left the Valley, WKU would be one of the top teams considered as replacements. They would be a very good fit if there was room.

Well said skinny, I enjoy the home and home series that every team plays each year.

But I have a question about WKU's move: Are they only looking at the Sun Belt if they go, or are they also looking at the MAC? Because Temple is going to be in the MAC East division next year and will create an uneven 7 team and 6 team divisions.

rufus
August 28th, 2006, 05:23 AM
That is still ONE team in a fledgling league over 7 that can't make the cut in one that is seen to be better.
Exactly. Duke almost didn't make the attendance cut. Should the ACC also be I-AA?

I have a problem with the whole "should be I-AA" thing. A school should be in the division that they select. College presidents and boards have to answer to student and alumni communities. If these stakeholders really want I-A, then that's where the school should be. I've seen the reverse as well, with people saying that Delaware "should be I-A". Delaware should be whatever they believe works best for Delaware.

WUTNDITWAA
August 28th, 2006, 05:38 AM
Exactly. Duke almost didn't make the attendance cut. Should the ACC also be I-AA?

I have a problem with the whole "should be I-AA" thing. A school should be in the division that they select. College presidents and boards have to answer to student and alumni communities. If these stakeholders really want I-A, then that's where the school should be. I've seen the reverse as well, with people saying that Delaware "should be I-A". Delaware should be whatever they believe works best for Delaware.

Here Here!!!:nod: :nod: :nod:

galojay
August 28th, 2006, 07:54 AM
But I have a question about WKU's move: Are they only looking at the Sun Belt if they go, or are they also looking at the MAC? Because Temple is going to be in the MAC East division next year and will create an uneven 7 team and 6 team divisions.

The MAC is not looking to expand. They will have uneven divisions just like they did when they had Central Florida for football only. Temple is only joining the MAC for football. If MAC brought in WKU, then all their other sports would have uneven divisions. If they can convience Temple to join the MAC for all sports, I definitely see the MAC expanding one team.

ekufbfan
August 28th, 2006, 03:16 PM

This is about money and perception.

Money? Maybe wku will make more money as IA and perhaps lose just as much as they make or more, fielding a IA team due to more scholarships and travel expenses. I am sure they are hoping that the KY Legislature will fork over more funds to them IF they are able to convince Frankfort that they are "worthy" of more because of IA status and all that goes with it.

Perception? They have long aspired to try and distance themselves from their sister institutions (EKU, Murray State and Morehead) and they have convinced themselves that they are "somehow" better than the rest of us. They have the misguided notion that IA football will somehow win over legions of the big blue nation (uk) to suddenly bleed red...if you live in Kentucky and if you don't have your head up your behind, you know that's not happening!: smh : I have seen many posts where wku fans refer to themselves as part of the big three..uk, U of L and wku...keep dreaming toppersxlolx

GO EKU! WHIP western!

ucdtim17
August 28th, 2006, 03:43 PM

If you have a school that fits the profile of a I-AA much more so than I-A, draws like a I-AA, plays like a I-AA, has the financial resources of a I-AA, etc etc, then I think it's fair to say they "should" be I-AA

NoCoDanny
August 28th, 2006, 04:41 PM
So what about the inevitable name change debate? Would WKU ever push to be called Kentucky State?

dbackjon
August 28th, 2006, 04:47 PM
So what about the inevitable name change debate? Would WKU ever push to be called Kentucky State?

There is already a Kentucky State - Kentucky's HBCU. They play D-II football in the Southern Intercollegate AC.

rufus
August 28th, 2006, 05:51 PM
If you have a school that fits the profile of a I-AA much more so than I-A, draws like a I-AA, plays like a I-AA, has the financial resources of a I-AA, etc etc, then I think it's fair to say they "should" be I-AA
Using that same logic, Delaware and Montana "should" be I-A. And the bottom half of I-AA "should" be DII, DIII, or NAIA. How about we let schools decide for themselves?

A school's administration has to act in what they believe to be the school's best interests. If that means WKU moving from I-AA to I-A or Birmingham Southern moving from I-AAA to DIII, then so be it. If the admins believe they can find a better life in another division, then they have a responsibility to make a move.

TopsInDaVille
August 28th, 2006, 07:01 PM
If WKU goes I-A, there is only ONE main reason:

BASKETBALL.

I'll preface this by saying I love I-AA football, but WKU is not a football school. WKU is trying to impove its entire athletics image so that when it comes time for the next conference realignments, the school can move to upgrade conferences for its basketball teams. And I'm sorry guys, but you're not going to improve your league for basketball without I-A football.

The only possible step up for basketball without I-A football would be the Missouri Valley, and they don't want us. Therefore, to get into the MAC, C-USA or even the Sun Belt, we need to make the upgrade. I'll never understand why any I-AA fan would begrudge a school for making such a move. Quit thinking it's only because the school thinks it's "too good" for I-AA football. That has nothing to do with it.

By the way, for that EKU fan that posted earlier, WKU HAS separated itself from the rest of the regional universites in the state, and not just athletically. After the upgrades to our football stadium, our facilities (football, basketball, baseball, etc.) will be better than anything Eastern, Murray or Morehead could dream of.

The train is leaving the station boys. I hope the Colonels, Racers and Eagles have a nice spot from which to wave goodbye!

youwouldno
August 28th, 2006, 07:20 PM
If the move is not because of football, it's not really a I-A vs. I-AA issue. WKU is never going to be a good BS team in football, which their admin probably realizes. That does not however relieve the risk inherent in the move, insofar as the possibility of greater financial risk. It would be too bad for football fans at WKU.

SO ILLmatic
August 28th, 2006, 08:28 PM
The MAC is not looking to expand. They will have uneven divisions just like they did when they had Central Florida for football only. Temple is only joining the MAC for football. If MAC brought in WKU, then all their other sports would have uneven divisions. If they can convience Temple to join the MAC for all sports, I definitely see the MAC expanding one team.

Are you positive? Marshall was in the MAC the same time as UCF which served as the 13th & 14th teams (7 in each division). I personally think that the Toppers would find more success in the Sun Belt (the MAC's upper level teams can be pretty tough).

But this move sounds like WKU is close on making a i-a announcement. Good luck to them in whatever choice they go with. They have contributed in numerous ways to the Gateway. Hopefully their move wont cause a domino effect with other members of the Gateway.

August 28th, 2006, 08:40 PM
it wouldn't be a I-A announcement, it would be a BS announcement.

therealbigredrules
August 28th, 2006, 10:16 PM
This is about money and perception.

Money? Maybe wku will make more money as IA and perhaps lose just as much as they make or more, fielding a IA team due to more scholarships and travel expenses. I am sure they are hoping that the KY Legislature will fork over more funds to them IF they are able to convince Frankfort that they are "worthy" of more because of IA status and all that goes with it.

Perception? They have long aspired to try and distance themselves from their sister institutions (EKU, Murray State and Morehead) and they have convinced themselves that they are "somehow" better than the rest of us. They have the misguided notion that IA football will somehow win over legions of the big blue nation (uk) to suddenly bleed red...if you live in Kentucky and if you don't have your head up your behind, you know that's not happening!: smh : I have seen many posts where wku fans refer to themselves as part of the big three..uk, U of L and wku...keep dreaming toppersxlolx

GO EKU! WHIP western!

This post is so wrong on so many levels so I will only hit the low points.

1 Money) WKU is masterful at accomplishing its goals WITHOUT the KY Legislature. As you sit back an wait for the money that will never come, Western grows its base of private funds, students, and works to solve the problem on its own. I suggest EKU do the same and you could upgrade you FB stadium and BB arena and classrooms too. The IA status has NOTHING to do with trying to get money from the Frankfort. Trust me, Frankfort does not give two flips about any school other than UK and UL. WKU knows this and works around it. You should too. You are way off on this one

Furthermore, Staying I-AA is a great option. However, WKU has no place to go if it wants to get into a better conference. The Gateway is the real deal and it is sad that WKU may have to look at the I-A options. However, for the 100th time, the MVC is the only move up that would allow us to stay I-AA and they don't want to expand. Basketball in the Sun Belt is a less than optimal situation.

2 Perception) We are better in some areas and worse in others. All schools have their advantages and disadvantages. Your perception of a "better than you view" is a shame. Work an EKU growth plan that leverages your strengths. That is all WKU is doing. Sitting around complaining that an other school wants to improve its position is very closed minded. You can either try to improve and be a leader or sit back and complain and be a follower. The choice is yours.

Never be satisfied. work hard, bitch, scratch, hire some people who understand money and fund raising, and develop a plan that grows and meets your needs given the constraints of the KY legislature.

And finally, I feel for EKU, you have very hard task given your distance from pUKe. Your current president seem to be heading in the right direction.

EKU05
August 28th, 2006, 10:26 PM

BASKETBALL.

I'll preface this by saying I love I-AA football, but WKU is not a football school. WKU is trying to impove its entire athletics image so that when it comes time for the next conference realignments, the school can move to upgrade conferences for its basketball teams. And I'm sorry guys, but you're not going to improve your league for basketball without I-A football.

The only possible step up for basketball without I-A football would be the Missouri Valley, and they don't want us. Therefore, to get into the MAC, C-USA or even the Sun Belt, we need to make the upgrade. I'll never understand why any I-AA fan would begrudge a school for making such a move. Quit thinking it's only because the school thinks it's "too good" for I-AA football. That has nothing to do with it.

By the way, for that EKU fan that posted earlier, WKU HAS separated itself from the rest of the regional universites in the state, and not just athletically. After the upgrades to our football stadium, our facilities (football, basketball, baseball, etc.) will be better than anything Eastern, Murray or Morehead could dream of.

The train is leaving the station boys. I hope the Colonels, Racers and Eagles have a nice spot from which to wave goodbye!

Murray still gets rated much better by every major college ranking system every year. Blame in on WKU's community college all you want, but it is what it is. But, what it really comes down to is what is what is your major? If you want journalism go to Western. English? Murray is your place. Forensic Science or Nursing...EKU is the clear choice. WKU's athletic facilities specifically are the best outside of U of L and UK.

Western has a lot going for it, but at the end of the day the only people who are putting them on the overall level of UK and U of L are people associated with Western...and not even all of them. That's not a knock by the way...WKU is doing a great job of being what it is supposed to be and even more. You all should absolutely be proud, but don't be delussional and think you've somehow managed to join U of L and UK as "The Big 3."

Edit: TheRealBigRedRules was actually pretty dead on about everything...proving my point that it isn't everyone.

galojay
August 29th, 2006, 06:45 AM
Their are many ways to measure success of an institution and trying to "measure" them up in the state. I don't know everything that EKU has done in the last ten years, so I can't really compare. I can say WKU has done an incredible job in the last ten years. We completed a $102 million captial campaign in 2003, we have taken our endowment (a common measuring stick) from $16M to over $86M (EKU's is $42M), we increased enrollment over 25% as the fastest growing institution in the state, we have completed $200M in renovations and new construction including most every residence hall, two new academic buildings, and of course Diddle Arena. We have close to another $300M in projects due to be done by 2012. I could go on. Again, I don't know what EKU, Murray, Morehead, etc has done, but I would put WKU's progress up against any one of them.

And I-A football move helps the other sports, but if we move to I-A it is for FOOTBALL. Sure, biproducts of it will help other sports including Basketball. But this is a FOOTBALL decision. Yes, I am sure part of it is to get all of our sports competing at the highest level as well. But this idea that we are moving up just to help basketball is silly.

BusinessEagle
August 30th, 2006, 04:57 PM
The bottomline is it's okay of ANY school to move to I-AA. As long as they can put a team on the field-- hooray! If a current I-AA school decides to move to I-A, they are obviously going to lose money and will become a bottom feeder. How many Big South teams should be Division II or NAIA-- include a few SoCon teams there too? Savannah State, I-AA, right! I-AA schools have between 0 and 63 athletic scholarships. The main reason many are moving to Division I is for men's basketball tournament money, not football.

ucdtim17
August 30th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Hey I've said there are plenty of 2 bit I-AA schools that should be D2, for the same reasons some I-A's belong in I-AA

PantherRob82
August 30th, 2006, 06:50 PM
let's boo this idea.

boooooooooooo :nono:

galojay
December 3rd, 2016, 07:27 PM
Greetings AGS folks! Been absent for a long time, understandably, but I still do follow FCS. I enjoyed WKU's time in OVC, independent, Gateway, and most of all our 2002 National Championship.

As WKU won it's back to back Conference USA conference championship, I reminisced back to our conversations on AGS and the doom and gloom picture painted for WKU with the move from I-AA to I-A (now FCS to FBS.) While our road was rocky to start, for sure, I feel confident in saying our transition was a success. WKU is now wrapping up its 8th season in FBS.

WKU has reached bowl eligibility in six consecutive seasons. It is the longest streak of bowl eligibility in Conference USA.
The Hilltoppers average 44.2 points per game under Jeff Brohm - the highest points per game mark among all active FBS head coaches. Brohm is ahead of Oregon’s Mark Helfrich (No. 2) who averages 42.6.
WKU achieved consecutive double-digit win seasons for the first time in program history and consecutive conference championships for the first time since 1970-71 when Jimmy Feix’s teams won two Ohio Valley Conference titles.
WKU owns a 12-game winning streak at home over conference opponents, the longest streak in the nation and the longest since winning 15 from 1973 to 1977 in the Ohio Valley Conference.
In 2015, WKU became just the seventh team in C-USA’s 20-year history to finish undefeated in conference play and the first team to go undefeated and win the conference championship.
The 2015 Hilltoppers were the second most dominant league champion in C-USA history, winning league games by an average margin of 27.1 points. Louisville’s 2004 team won by 37.3.
Since WKU’s transition to full membership as an FBS team, the Hilltoppers have always found electric playmakers to get the ball to. In the 100 games played since 2009 as full FBS members, the Hilltoppers have had an individual record 100-or-more all purpose yards in 95 games including a stretch of 49 straight from 2010-14. WKU is one of just nine programs with five or more 2,000 yard all-purpose players in their school’s history.

10-3, 7-1 C-USA, Conference USA Camp, Bowl Game (TBD)

12-2, 8-0 in C-USA, Conference USA Champ, Miami Bowl Win

8–5, 4–4 in C-USA, Bahamas Bowl Win

8–4, 4–3 in Sun Belt, Bowl eligible - no bowl

7–6, 4–4 in Sun Belt, Little Ceasers Bowl loss

7–5, 7–1 in Sun Belt, Bowl eligible - no bowl

2–10, 2–6 in Sun Belt

0-12, 0-8 in Sun Belt (First year in FB

Serpentor
December 3rd, 2016, 07:37 PM
Holy thread resurrection, Batman!

ST_Lawson
December 3rd, 2016, 07:43 PM
Holy thread resurrection, Batman!

Good lord, previous post was over 10 years ago.

Serpentor
December 3rd, 2016, 07:54 PM
Good lord, previous post was over 10 years ago.

I know the guy wanted to brag up his program, but pulling a Lazarus on a ten-year old thread kind of stretches the bounds of forum etiquette, I would think....

Twentysix
December 3rd, 2016, 07:55 PM
I know the guy wanted to brag up his program, but pulling a Lazarus on a ten-year old thread kind of stretches the bounds of forum etiquette, I would think....

Meh its fair imo.

WKU has done well.

CockyGeek
December 3rd, 2016, 08:00 PM
How long have you been saving that one? An undefeated season and now you have to go play in a random bowl.

galojay
December 3rd, 2016, 08:09 PM
No disrespect to etiquette -- but so many times on boards we draw conclusions and make predictions, so it's interesting to reflect and see how things end up over time.

Serpentor
December 3rd, 2016, 08:13 PM
No disrespect to etiquette -- but so many times on boards we draw conclusions and make predictions, so it's interesting to reflect and see how things end up over time.

True. Hey, I like the Hilltoppers, cool helmets. :P Congrats on your team's success.

ysubigred
December 3rd, 2016, 08:25 PM
Man I really hated to see you guys leave the valley. Looked forward to the YSU game in Bowling Green every other year xthumbsupx

Great job and congrats on your success!

YBR

TheRevSFA
December 3rd, 2016, 09:23 PM
And you still have one of the dumbest looking mascots in Division 1

MSUDuo
December 3rd, 2016, 09:38 PM
How long have you been saving that one? An undefeated season and now you have to go play in a random bowl.

The alternative could be getting smacked around in the 2nd round of the playoffs...xcoffeexxcoffeexxcoffeex

Lehigh Football Nation
December 3rd, 2016, 09:47 PM
Pretty sure a sure sign of desperation is going onto an FCS message board to ressurect a 10 year old thread to brag about your bowl eligibility

CockyGeek
December 3rd, 2016, 10:12 PM
The alternative could be getting smacked around in the 2nd round of the playoffs...xcoffeexxcoffeexxcoffeex
Didn't y'all go to the playoffs in 1990? Good times. ;)

dungeonjoe
December 4th, 2016, 05:35 AM
I think I will resurrect the 2003 thread where Wofford defeated WKU.:) Congrats on your success.

Cocky
December 4th, 2016, 06:13 AM
Your overall record 54-47 in FBS, if i quickly added right? Best win Vandy or Kentucky? Is WKU over 500 in OOC play, I couldn't remember which conference WKU was in each year?

NY Crusader 2010
December 4th, 2016, 09:30 AM

BASKETBALL.

Fast forward ten years, I don't think WKU is any more relevant nationally in basketball than they were during the Courtney Lee / Drake buzzer-beater days but they are in a conference with Charlotte, ODU and UAB so definite step up from the SBC. And football has very much made a name for itself (minus almost losing a 35-point lead in the fourth quarter of the Bahamas Bowl). Hilltoppers definitely made the right choice in moving up.