PDA

View Full Version : Judge Rules NCAA Athletes Can Pursue Television Money

superman7515
January 29th, 2013, 09:27 PM
Judge Rules NCAA Athletes Can Pursue Television Money (http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/8895337/judge-rules-ncaa-athletes-legally-pursue-television-money)

In dismissing a motion by the NCAA to prevent football and men's basketball players from legally pursuing a cut of live broadcast revenues, a federal court judge Tuesday raised the stakes for the governing body of college sports as it defends its economic model.

Judge Claudia Wilken issued her ruling Tuesday, rejecting the NCAA's motion that players in the antitrust suit led by former UCLA star Ed O'Bannon should be precluded from advancing their lawsuit on procedural grounds.

The NCAA had objected to the players amending their lawsuit last year to claim a share of all television game revenues, not just those from rebroadcasts.

"Now the (NCAA and its co-defendants) are facing potential liability in the billions of dollars instead of tens or hundreds of millions," said Michael Hausfeld, interim lead counsel for the plaintiffs. "It's a more accurate context for what the players deserve."

Unlike NFL or NBA athletes, players lack a union or similar body to negotiate a share of revenues flowing from media and other licensing contracts. The NCAA does not legally treat athletes as employees, and players have not organized to represent their interests collectively.

The O'Bannon suit attacks that model through the means of class-action, the legal question now before Wilken. Former college stars such as Bill Russell and Oscar Robertson have joined O'Bannon on behalf of all Division I players in football and men's basketball, asking Wilken to declare that they are similarly situated and to certify the class.

Wilken on Tuesday set the hearing on that motion for June 20 and ordered the NCAA to make its arguments against class certification on the merits rather than procedural objections such as the one she just rejected. The NCAA was joined in that motion by its partner, Collegiate Licensing Company.

In a statement, NCAA general counsel Donald Remy characterized the ruling as a partial victory for the NCAA.

"Although our motion to strike was denied, the judge has signaled skepticism on plaintiff's class-certification motion and recognized the plaintiffs' radical change in their theory of the case," Remy said. "This is a step in the right direction toward allowing the NCAA to further demonstrate why this case is wrong on the law and that plaintiffs have failed to demonstrate that this case satisfies the criteria for class litigation."......

bojeta
January 30th, 2013, 05:08 PM
If this holds up, could we see: Contract negotiations between players and colleges in which the college recieves a "cut" of future earnings derived from media exposure and the resulting professional contracts, in exchange for a "cut" of current revenue from college sports broadcasts?????

Nickels
January 30th, 2013, 05:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XEq6XYtMVU

Bisonoline
January 30th, 2013, 07:13 PM
If this holds up, could we see: Contract negotiations between players and colleges in which the college recieves a "cut" of future earnings derived from media exposure and the resulting professional contracts, in exchange for a "cut" of current revenue from college sports broadcasts?????

With those thoughts in mind you could also look for the schools to recoop the cost of attendance, equipment, etc. Contracts based on academic performance, athletes being cut due to poor athletic performance and or injuries. Kind of like the NFL. LOL

CID1990
January 30th, 2013, 07:18 PM
The Gods of Unforseen Consequence are licking their chops

Side Judge
January 30th, 2013, 07:52 PM
But they're not allowed freedom of speech...

IBleedYellow
January 31st, 2013, 09:48 AM
NCAA finds a victory in this? Damn, I AM starting to believe that the University of North Dakota did rub off on the NCAA more than they'd like to think...

TheRevSFA
January 31st, 2013, 10:23 AM
Wow...

Vitojr130
January 31st, 2013, 11:39 AM
Well dammit. I should have played football at NDSU like my buddies told me to do and instead I was stupid and said I wanted to focus on academics. Pffffffffffft. I could be a millionaire now xlolx