PDA

View Full Version : Fearless Football Predictions from GeauxColonels

GeauxColonels
August 26th, 2006, 12:32 PM
It's almost here! Less than a week away and even CLOSER for those of us that begin the season on Thursday night! :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

That being said....here are my predicted champions for each conference:
Gateway: Northern Iowa
Great West: Cal-Poly
Ivy League: Harvard
Metro Atlantic: Duquesne
Mid-Eastern Athletic: South Carolina State
Northeast: Albany
Ohio Valley: Eastern Kentucky
Patriot League: Lehigh
Pioneer Football League: San Diego
Southern: Furman
Southland: Nicholls State
Southwestern Athletic: Alabama State(East); Grambling State (West); Grambling State (Overall)

OK, EVERYONE else, Share your pics too!

TexasTerror
August 26th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Considering your a Nicholls St fan and went with the Colonels as your SLC champion, which I am not going to disagree with, as I think they'll be in the mix for sure...who do you have as your #2 team in the SLC?

GeauxColonels
August 26th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Considering your a Nicholls St fan and went with the Colonels as your SLC champion, which I am not going to disagree with, as I think they'll be in the mix for sure...who do you have as your #2 team in the SLC?
#2, I'll have to go with McNeese State, but I have Texas State and Northwestern State right behind them. Truly, I think the Southland is one of the hardest conferences to predict. However, I'm basing my pick on the fact that Nicholls State has a lot of consistency running the ball and can control the line of scrimmage very well. That being said, the defense MUST step up this year after losing key players...but I think they will be up to the task once conference play starts.

mikebigg
August 26th, 2006, 12:46 PM
I like the SWAC prediction...but I don't think it will be Alabama State. They lost a lot from last year and even then they were around 3rd in the East. Maybe you meant Alabama A&M who was the runnerup last year.

McNeese75
August 26th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Good luck in the "Hole" in November :D

GeauxColonels
August 26th, 2006, 01:05 PM
I like the SWAC prediction...but I don't think it will be Alabama State. They lost a lot from last year and even then they were around 3rd in the East. Maybe you meant Alabama A&M who was the runnerup last year.
No I meant State. Alot of the pics are shots in the dark...I like picking underdogs sometimes too. You really never know what can happen.

mikebigg
August 26th, 2006, 01:19 PM
No I meant State. Alot of the pics are shots in the dark...I like picking underdogs sometimes too. You really never know what can happen.

That's true... that football can take some funny bounces.

GeauxColonels
August 26th, 2006, 01:49 PM
That's true... that football can take some funny bounces.
DEFINITELY, I'm not sure ANYONE....myself included thought that Nicholls State would win the SLC last year.

UNHWildCats
August 26th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Where's the Youngstown State bashers for the finalist pick????

PantherRob82
August 26th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Atlantic-10: New Hampshire (North); Delaware (South); New Hampshire (Overall)
Big Sky: Montana
Big South:Coastal Carolina
Gateway: Northern Iowa
Great West: Cal-Poly
Ivy League: Harvard
Metro Atlantic: Duquesne
Mid-Eastern Athletic: South Carolina State
Northeast: Albany
Ohio Valley: Eastern Illinois
Patriot League: Lafayette
Pioneer Football League: San Diego
Southern: App St
Southland: McNeese St
Southwestern Athletic: Alabama State(East); Grambling State (West); Grambling State (Overall)

BEAR
August 26th, 2006, 03:27 PM
#2, I'll have to go with McNeese State, but I have Texas State and Northwestern State right behind them. Truly, I think the Southland is one of the hardest conferences to predict. However, I'm basing my pick on the fact that Nicholls State has a lot of consistency running the ball and can control the line of scrimmage very well. That being said, the defense MUST step up this year after losing key players...but I think they will be up to the task once conference play starts.

So the Southland Conference is just the Gulf South Conference at a higher level??? Parity. We beat up on each other all year and when it comes time for the playoffs there are only bones left...and I thought the days of playing Valdosta and UNA were gone.....:bang: :bang: :bang:

TexasTerror
August 26th, 2006, 04:04 PM
So the Southland Conference is just the Gulf South Conference at a higher level??? Parity. We beat up on each other all year and when it comes time for the playoffs there are only bones left...and I thought the days of playing Valdosta and UNA were gone.....:bang: :bang: :bang:

Not bones...the last few years, we've had a team go to the semifinals. It's time to knock the door down and make it to the finals and even a championship for the SLC! :thumbsup:

BEAR
August 26th, 2006, 04:09 PM
I hope so. Every year in the GSC, the top 3 teams, usually Valdosta, UNA and UCA would have to face each other in the playoffs and play each other again..what a way for a GSC team to end the season!

GeauxColonels
August 26th, 2006, 09:27 PM
I hope so. Every year in the GSC, the top 3 teams, usually Valdosta, UNA and UCA would have to face each other in the playoffs and play each other again..what a way for a GSC team to end the season!
Make no mistake about it, the teams will beat each other up...week-in and week-out. But we can make some noise in the playoffs. I wish we would have made more though. Some pretty tough losses in the playoffs recently and heartbrake to almost every SLC team lately.

Keeper
August 26th, 2006, 11:13 PM
My ratings predict these winners based on power vs home schedule:
A-10 North = UMass
A-10 South = Richmond
Big Sky = PSU tie-break over Montana
Big South = Coastal Caro
Gateway = Illinois St
Great West = UCD, CPI, NDSU co-champs
Ivy League = Brown tie-break over Harvard
Southern = Appalachian St
Southland = McNeese St
Ohio Valley = Eastern Ky
Patriot = Colgate
MEAC = SC State
SWAC East = Bama A&M (playoff winner)
SWAC West = Grambling
Metro = Duquense
Northeast = Albany (tie-break over CCSU)
Pioneer = San Diego (Gridiron winner)

GeauxColonels
August 26th, 2006, 11:23 PM
My ratings predict these winners based on power vs home schedule:
A-10 North = UMass
A-10 South = Richmond
Big Sky = PSU tie-break over Montana
Big South = Coastal Caro
Gateway = Illinois St
Great West = UCD, CPI, NDSU co-champs
Ivy League = Brown tie-break over Harvard
Southern = Appalachian St
Southland = McNeese St
Ohio Valley = Eastern Ky
Patriot = Colgate
MEAC = SC State
SWAC East = Bama A&M (playoff winner)
SWAC West = Grambling
Metro = Duquense
Northeast = Albany (tie-break over CCSU)
Pioneer = San Diego (Gridiron winner)
Looks pretty reasonable. The only "out-there" pick I see is Portland State in the BSC.

Keeper
August 26th, 2006, 11:49 PM
Looks pretty reasonable. The only "out-there" pick I see is Portland State in the BSC.

Yeah, the ratings don't say anything about getting beaten up
by the I-A schools before conference play, but PSU does get
Montana, Idaho St & EWU at home, with likely loss at MontSt.
If they come out of the Cal game fairly healthy, look out.

I think the Sky race is wide-open for those 5 teams.
Montana's coach Hauck is better known as a recruiter than
a game-day coach, and they just lost a great running back.

I don't like the ratings much for the SLC, particularly NW St
looks too low and TexSt too high. Except for Sam Houston,
the entire league has quarterback questions. That should
give more of an edge to SHSU than many are giving.

TXST_CAT
August 27th, 2006, 09:04 AM
I don't like the ratings much for the SLC, particularly NW St
looks too low and TexSt too high. Except for Sam Houston,
the entire league has quarterback questions. That should
give more of an edge to SHSU than many are giving.

Possibly but TXST has a QB who has been in our system for two years now. He has started at QB several times for us and won at least two games. He started against Baylor two years ago as a redshirt freshman and nearly won the game. He comes from a coaching family and knows the game as good as any coach. He aslo won the Texas5A State Championship in his senior year.

PaladinFan
August 27th, 2006, 11:56 AM

Happens here too. Look how many times the SoCon schools have met up in the playoffs. Heck, Georgia Southern and Furman have met for the national championship....TWICE!

Grizzaholic
August 28th, 2006, 12:32 PM
All I gots to say is THIS IS OUR YEAR to win or lose. We will see how our team comes out to play in IOWA with Lex not running the ball. If we come out complacent (sp) we could have a very long year, but if we come out gunning we might not get stopped. Except by maybe Iowa.