PDA

View Full Version : ETSU SGA votes to return football

chattanoogamocs
January 29th, 2013, 04:43 PM
ETSU SGA just voted in favor of returning football...23 yea, 5 nay, 1 abstained.

asumike83
January 29th, 2013, 04:54 PM
You'd think a return to the SoCon is all but a formality once they make everything official with the football program. Good for them, I'd be happy to see them come back and rekindle the old rivalries.

SU_IT_able
January 29th, 2013, 04:59 PM
Agreed. I'd love to see ETSU back in the SoCon assuming FB is in place.

citdog
January 29th, 2013, 05:04 PM
http://5440fight.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/vote-present-e1354557660203-250x200.jpg

asumike83
January 29th, 2013, 05:07 PM
Appalachian, Samford, UTC and The Citadel. If this thread is any indication, they're getting close to a majority vote already!

Seriously, I can't think of any school that would not vote for them unless it's one of the newer members who has no history with ETSU and is campaigning for someone else.

chattanoogamocs
January 29th, 2013, 05:07 PM
Dr Noland told SGA that if the vote passed they would have a coach by May, a JV in the fall and a full return for 2015

Sandlapper Spike
January 29th, 2013, 05:45 PM
Appalachian, Samford, UTC and The Citadel. If this thread is any indication, they're getting close to a majority vote already!

Seriously, I can't think of any school that would not vote for them unless it's one of the newer members who has no history with ETSU and is campaigning for someone else.

I could see them waiting in line behind VMI.

asumike83
January 29th, 2013, 06:05 PM
I could see them waiting in line behind VMI.

Good point, although I doubt they would add just one school. Getting VMI/ETSU back in the SoCon would be pretty cool IMO and you'd have to think they would both get invited before Mercer, G-W, Coastal, Kennesaw, etc.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 29th, 2013, 06:11 PM
Good point, although I doubt they would add just one school. Getting VMI/ETSU back in the SoCon would be pretty cool IMO and you'd have to think they would both get invited before Mercer, G-W, Coastal, Kennesaw, etc.

Even as an outsider looking in that has seemed to be the way to go and actually my hope for the SoCon and it's retention of strength if App and GSU were to depart. That would be a very interesting conference to keep your eye on at that point...like it is now.

If App & GSU don't leave then all the better.

CID1990
January 29th, 2013, 07:12 PM
I would be tickled pink to see both VMI and ETSU back in the SoCon.

dgtw
January 29th, 2013, 07:12 PM

I'd like to get them into the OVC.

The SGA votes on restoring football? Not the Board of Trustees?

chattanoogamocs
January 29th, 2013, 07:45 PM
I'd like to get them into the OVC.

The SGA votes on restoring football? Not the Board of Trustees?

It had passed all the other "tests"...the SGA voted in support of the $125 athletics fee. Dr. Noland wanted that support before moving forward.

Student Government Association voted today to approve a resolution of support for restarting the football program at East Tennessee State University.

After one hour of discussion, the resolution went to a vote. With a majority vote of 22-5 with one abstention, the SGA senate approved the resolution.

The resolution, SSR 13-015, now calls for ETSU President Brian Noland to move forward with the support of students in the endeavor of developing a football program.

The piece of legislation indicates a $125 per semester increase in student fees will be the source of funding for the development of the football program.

This was just part of the process, according to Richard Sander, director of Intercollegiate Athletics.

“It’s exciting, the students … spent a lot of time and energy and did a great job at researching the issue,” Sander said.

http://www.easttennessean.com/news/etsu-football-motion-gets-passed-1.2978130#.UQh6_WchOM0

It does have to come before the Tennessee Board of Regents in March, but with the support of the students and the athletics fee to pay for it and any associated Title IX concerns (not to mention that ETSU is the only TBR school without football), they feel like there will be no problems getting a favorable vote.

http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/News/article.php?id=104475

T-Dog
January 29th, 2013, 08:28 PM
Dr Noland told SGA that if the vote passed they would have a coach by May, a JV in the fall and a full return for 2015

Would this JV team play any games and if they did, would they play any home games, and if they do, would they play in the Mini Dump?

citdog
January 29th, 2013, 08:41 PM
I hear Jerry Moore is available.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
January 29th, 2013, 09:19 PM
I hear Jerry Moore is available.

No offense to Jerry Moore, but I think the man ETSU wants is Philip Fulmer.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
January 29th, 2013, 09:19 PM
HALLELUJAH! YEEHAW! LET IT BE!

appsfan
January 29th, 2013, 10:16 PM
Add ETSU to the Socon immediately. They would replace Charleston and would have football in a couple years...

ETSUfan1
January 29th, 2013, 10:47 PM
This is a very exciting time to be an ETSU fan. We finally have people in charge who say how we CAN do things, and don't give excuses for why we can't. This is all but a done deal. Hopefully the SoCon will take us back. Would love to rekindle the old rivalries. The worst part about the ASUN, apart from not being a football league, is the rivalries we don't have any more. I miss getting pumped up for opponents. Any time we played APP or UTC especially, it was all I could think about for days upon days. I wanted nothing more than to pulverize them. That doesn't really happen with basketball games against Florida Gulf Coast and USC Upstate.

adent10
January 29th, 2013, 11:08 PM
Would this JV team play any games and if they did, would they play any home games, and if they do, would they play in the Mini Dump?

Negative. The Dome is in no shape to have football played inside it. Too many fire codes. Games/Practices would likely be played at Science High school or close by Milligan college

adent10
January 29th, 2013, 11:10 PM
and as an ETSU fan, this huge for all sports just to get out of the Atlantic Sun. It's just a horrid conference. I'm a bit partial to the OVC for the old school days back in the 70's but that's highly unlikely since they don't have any available spots. SoCon makes the most sense

etsuandpurdue3
January 29th, 2013, 11:12 PM
It basically means they'd play against Junior Colleges,sort of like South Alabama did.

T-Dog
January 29th, 2013, 11:48 PM
Negative. The Dome is in no shape to have football played inside it. Too many fire codes. Games/Practices would likely be played at Science High school or close by Milligan college

They need to finalize plans to build an on-campus outdoor stadium by this summer.

adent10
January 30th, 2013, 12:06 AM
They need to finalize plans to build an on-campus outdoor stadium by this summer.

oh that's def in the plans. they had stadium renderings done the last time football was up for vote.

http://www.easttennessean.com/news/artist-renders-vision-for-outdoor-stadium-1.2060569#.UQi4LjGFxIE

would expect it to look something like that

ASUMountaineer
January 30th, 2013, 07:36 AM

I remember watching Jerry Moore break the record for most SoCon victories in the Mini Dome. It was a dump then, but we did enjoy heading out into Johnson City after the game to celebrate. xthumbsupx

citdog
January 30th, 2013, 07:45 AM
I remember watching Jerry Moore break the record for most SoCon victories in the Mini Dome. It was a dump then, but we did enjoy heading out into Johnson City after the game to celebrate. xthumbsupx

That was before Jerry got the knife in the back.

ASUMountaineer
January 30th, 2013, 07:57 AM
That was before Jerry got the knife in the back.

xrolleyesx

And before he tried to throw the school under the bus.

I am a huge fan of Coach Moore and I hate how the whole thing went down, but it's behind us...all we can do is support his protege and our alma mater. And, hope that cooler heads will prevail and we can celebrate his contributions to Appalachian in a way that he justly deserves.

chattacane
January 30th, 2013, 12:45 PM
This is a very good thing! Who ever they hire can recruite all of the Chattanooga area....... Cause coach Russ an't!

You're my boy blue!
January 30th, 2013, 08:37 PM
I'm crossing my fingers in hopes that we will end up joining the SOCON. I've heard a lot of good things about the tradition and rivalry that exists between ETSU and many of the other schools such as AppState and UTC. Unfortunately I was a college freshman in 2005 and had to the mispleasure of putting up with the Asuck for the past 8 years. Some of my favorite basketball games were between UTC in the early years of the ASUN... I think that some of that passion was still spilling over when we were regularly doing a home and away schedule together.

Anyways.. I think that I speak for many when I say that the urge to join the SOCON strong.

chattacane
January 31st, 2013, 09:13 AM
The voice of the Mocs(JR - WGOW) said this morning that it is a strong push to bring ETSU back to the Socon.

dgtw
January 31st, 2013, 10:10 AM
Since the SoCon already had non-football members, I'd go ahead and add them as soon as they officially formed a football team. They could still play whatever type of football schedule they needed to in order to get started.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
January 31st, 2013, 10:59 AM
I'm crossing my fingers in hopes that we will end up joining the SOCON. I've heard a lot of good things about the tradition and rivalry that exists between ETSU and many of the other schools such as AppState and UTC. Unfortunately I was a college freshman in 2005 and had to the mispleasure of putting up with the Asuck for the past 8 years. Some of my favorite basketball games were between UTC in the early years of the ASUN... I think that some of that passion was still spilling over when we were regularly doing a home and away schedule together.

Anyways.. I think that I speak for many when I say that the urge to join the SOCON strong.

Welcome to AGS from a fellow Buc.

cmaxwellgsu
January 31st, 2013, 11:40 AM
Cool to see ETSU coming back. I had a high school buddy play LB for them. I always remember ETSU being a tough team to beat.

chattanoogamocs
January 31st, 2013, 12:00 PM
This is a very good thing! Who ever they hire can recruite all of the Chattanooga area....... Cause coach Russ an't!

Yeah, the roster only has about 25 area players on it.