PDA

View Full Version : Every team has at least one.

Ronbo
August 25th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Is it really that important to give 100% in practice if you are a gamer?

Thoughts.

http://users.rcn.com/pkatcher/audio/iverson_practice.mp3

kats89
August 25th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Is it really that important to give 100% in practice if you are a gamer?

Thoughts.

http://users.rcn.com/pkatcher/audio/iverson_practice.mp3

It is to some coaches. To me it really doesnt make a difference.

blackfordpu
August 25th, 2006, 07:33 PM
Practice makes perfect!

sdgriz24
August 25th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Practice makes perfect!

NO

"Perfect Practice makes Perfect"
-Vince Lombardi

blukeys
August 25th, 2006, 09:21 PM
This is an old Iverson rant and it was not about giving 100% at practice even if injured. Iverson had been told by the coach that he needed to come to practice and to be on time for practice. This rant was in respect to that. No one had any expectations that Iverson would dive for every ball in practice especially since Iverson was banged up at the time of the interview.

What was needed of Iverson was to come to practice to learn some new plays, learn where his teammates would be when the opposition would make adjustments and demonstrate that he understood that in a team game learning to work as a team was something that took time and the time that it took is called "Practice"

This interview and what preceded it was a big deal in the Philly area and turned the entire city against Iverson.

ngineer
August 25th, 2006, 10:57 PM
NO

-Vince Lombardi

I also remember one of his related sayings, to paraphrase, "While I know we can never achieve perfection, if try, we can achieve excellence.":nod:

blukeys
August 25th, 2006, 11:14 PM
NO

-Vince Lombardi

Tubby Raymond in his book "The Delaware Wing T An order of Football" Quotes Lombardi on this point. As someone who has coached the point is well made. A 2 hour practice that is well run and gets perfect rehearsal of the skills that are necessary is much better than a sloppy 4 hour practice.

BEAR
August 26th, 2006, 07:41 AM
As Allen Iverson said after he was confronted for not showing up for team practices: " Practice? Practice? You talkin about practice? Practice?"

SoCon48
August 26th, 2006, 08:33 AM
It is to some coaches. To me it really doesnt make a difference.

Which is why some guys watch the game from the sidelines while others who beat them out in practice are on the field.