PDA

View Full Version : UCF Drops Games Against Bethune-Cookman & Jacksonville State

superman7515
January 27th, 2013, 10:55 AM
The FBS vs FCS matchups are going to get fewer and farther between as the FBS tries to up the strength of schedule requirements for bowl games and the coming playoffs.

Orlando Sentinel (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/blogs/knights-notepad/os-ucf-ucf-set-to-play-at-penn-state-in-happy-valley-in-2013-home-in-2014-20130125,0,5279416.post)

After searching to upgrade its nonconference slate UCF has finalized its 2013 schedule.

UCF will go on the road to play Penn State next season and then host the Nittany Lions the following season, the Orlando Sentinel has learned. The Knights are scheduled to play Penn State on Sept. 14 on the road in Happy Valley, according to a UCF source, a game that is sure to get UCF fans excited.

The two-game series was scheduled, in part, because Penn State coach Bill O’Brien used to be an assistant coach for UCF coach George O’Leary.

The Penn State game will replace Bethune-Cookman on the schedule and completes the Knights nonconference slate. The 2014 contest against the Nittany Lions would replace the Jacksonville State game, UCF sources said.

Though there is an agreement to play, the contract has not been officially signed, sources said.

Adding Penn State finally fills out UCF’s 2013 schedule. In its first season in the Big East, UCF will also host Akron, South Carolina, Rutgers, UConn, Houston and rival USF. The Knights will travel to FIU, Memphis, SMU, Louisville and Temple.

O’Leary had said during the football season he wanted to see the Knights upgrade their nonconference schedule as the NCAA instituted a playoff system that put an emphasis on strength of schedule.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 27th, 2013, 02:24 PM
1. If you're UCF and you have a chance to schedule Penn State home-and-home, why wouldn't you do this?
2. Penn State is ineligible for bowls next season. So why is this indicative of anything?

superman7515
January 27th, 2013, 02:35 PM
1. Who said they wouldn't/shouldn't?
2. UCF said it was.

"I think that's better for our schedule," O'Leary said in October. " . . . It's going to hurt the other teams that may get a paycheck, but it's not helping as far as the rankings are concerned or the power rankings. “You're going to see a lot more of the traditional top-10 teams looking for more big games instead of just trying to buy a game because I think it's eventually going to hurt the power rankings as far as the BCS.”

Lehigh Football Nation
January 27th, 2013, 02:39 PM
1. Who said they wouldn't/shouldn't?
2. UCF said it was.

He's dreaming if he thinks UCF is going to make anything. Of course, they have to believe it.

DSUrocks07
January 27th, 2013, 05:37 PM
Apparently UCF is one of those "traditional Top 10 teams".

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Babar
January 27th, 2013, 06:03 PM
Apparently UCF is one of those "traditional Top 10 teams".

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

I think he means Penn State is one of those traditional Top 10 teams. But I don't think this particular series has anything to do with the new playoff arrangement.

UCF saw an opportunity and jumped on it--Penn State wants a trip to a vacation destination for fans and players who can't go to a bowl for the next few years, and Hawaii's refusing to play bowl-banned teams. I'm guessing Penn State might soon be talking to San Diego State, Tulane, or UCLA for the same reason.

dgtw
January 27th, 2013, 06:07 PM
I think he means Penn State is one of those traditional Top 10 teams. But I don't think this particular series has anything to do with the new playoff arrangement.

UCF saw an opportunity and jumped on it--Penn State wants a trip to a vacation destination for fans and players who can't go to a bowl for the next few years, and Hawaii's refusing to play bowl-banned teams. I'm guessing Penn State might soon be talking to San Diego State, Tulane, or UCLA for the same reason.

I think it was the NCAA that said bowl banned teams couldn't play at Hawaii.