PDA

View Full Version : Hal Mumme to JMU as Off. coord?

kdinva
January 26th, 2013, 02:17 PM
http://www.coachingsearch.com/coaching-search-ticker.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hal_Mumme

citdog
January 26th, 2013, 02:58 PM
Mumme is like 65 years old isn't he?

kdinva
January 26th, 2013, 03:07 PM
Mumme is like 65 years old isn't he?

that wikipedia entry says 60......

Franks Tanks
January 26th, 2013, 03:47 PM
More important than his age is the fact that his offenses haven't been that great letely.. What he did was once ununsual, now is now rather common, and it seems he is no longer a master at his craft.

McNeese75
January 26th, 2013, 03:49 PM
That's a mistake (for JMU for sure). Mumme had a pretty nice gig in a small pond at McMurry

Tubakat2014
January 26th, 2013, 06:16 PM
The Wikipedia article claims that he is already the HC at JMU...

kdinva
January 26th, 2013, 06:42 PM
The Wikipedia article claims that he is already the HC at JMU...

edited........ ;) ....JMU's site makes no mention of this hire, yet......but they still show Latrell Scott as an assistant (he moved to Va. State 15 days ago).

jmufan
January 27th, 2013, 09:50 PM
That's a mistake (for JMU for sure). Mumme had a pretty nice gig in a small pond at McMurry

I don't think so. JMU has a really good defense. If they can get a good offense, then they will be potent. While the Air Raid is more common, it is still hard to defend against.

TheRevSFA
January 27th, 2013, 09:56 PM
Hal couldn't run a team but he can run an offense. It's a good pickup by jmu

citdog
January 27th, 2013, 11:08 PM
Hal couldn't run a team but he can run an offense. It's a good pickup by jmu

they'll be saying the same about a certain coach in a mountainous region in a Southern State in three years time.

ThompsonThe
January 28th, 2013, 12:46 AM
Hope it works out for JMU, good school, good fans. They deserve better than what has happened on the field the last few years.

jmufan999
January 28th, 2013, 11:59 AM
Unlike most JMU fans, I had no problem with our offensive scheme over the past few years. Landers ran a similar offense in 2008 that worked quite well. The difference was that he was a good decision maker and athlete, and Dudzik/Thorpe were poor decision makers. Hard to run the OPTION with poor decision makers. We also didn't run a strictly option offense the past two years; it was about half option, half pro style.

Anyway, this is a good hire if Mumme accepts the job. Birdsong has the best shot at being an NFL player one day of any QB I've ever seen at JMU. He has great size, a great arm, is super tough (see: Richmond game), team leader, and he's mobile. He's the total package and I've never seen a JMU QB with all the tools he has to work with.

Sly Fox
January 28th, 2013, 01:36 PM
Mickey dipping back to his Texan roots. Interesting hire. The Hal Mumme coaching tree is incredible. Apparently he was better at hiring the right assistants than actually running things himself as evidenced by the past decade.

McNeese75
January 28th, 2013, 10:24 PM
I don't think so. JMU has a really good defense. If they can get a good offense, then they will be potent. While the Air Raid is more common, it is still hard to defend against.

This will depend on the oversight by the head coach. Let me know how the JMU fans react the first time he goes for it on 4th and 15 on his own 20 and gets stuffed. He is infamous for that kind of crap. His philosophy is go for everything and sees no difference in losing by 2 or 70. Exciting when things go good but...... I have a nephew on the McMurry team and the rumor around there is he was let go due to excessive spending in the program. He is without a doubt somewhat of a savant with his Air Raid but there there are some fleas.

jmufan
January 29th, 2013, 03:36 PM
This will depend on the oversight by the head coach. Let me know how the JMU fans react the first time he goes for it on 4th and 15 on his own 20 and gets stuffed. He is infamous for that kind of crap. His philosophy is go for everything and sees no difference in losing by 2 or 70. Exciting when things go good but...... I have a nephew on the McMurry team and the rumor around there is he was let go due to excessive spending in the program. He is without a doubt somewhat of a savant with his Air Raid but there there are some fleas.

I am sure Mickey won't allow a go for it on 4th and 15. Definitely on a 4th and 5, but not from 15 yards out. JMU beat writer says that the hire should be announced after Friday. The job search ad ends on the first.

jmufan999
January 30th, 2013, 10:15 AM

Mickey won't allow this. He used to make similar gambles, but they are all dependent on game situation. He's somewhat more conservative now on 4th down gambles. Then again, we haven't had a QB he's trusted since 2008 so who knows.

This hire is all positive. Without grasping at straws, hard to come up with anything negative about it. McNeese75, I'm not implying that you are grasping at straws, just to be clear. Just making a statement that I believe this is very positive for JMU.

bluehenbillk
January 30th, 2013, 10:31 AM
Good move for JMU. Now they just have to find a QB to run that offense but it's fair to say their offense lately has been stale and hard to watch at times.

JMad03
January 30th, 2013, 07:36 PM
Good move for JMU. Now they just have to find a QB to run that offense but it's fair to say their offense lately has been stale and hard to watch at times.

Birdsong will be the guy. He was one of the bright spots to our offense last year until he got injured. He showed pretty good decision making skills with an accurate arm with power. He made freshman mistakes to be expected, but he definitely is up to the task.

jmufan999
January 31st, 2013, 01:28 PM

No question that Birdsong is the guy. As JMad03 said, he was one of the few bright spots on offense last year. WR Deandre Smith was another but Thorpe couldn't get the ball to him. It will be interesting to see how he is featured (and he absolutely will be featured).

bluehenbillk
February 21st, 2013, 12:48 PM
JMU has re-posted the OC job, apparently Mumme told Mickey he wanted to throw the ball more & that didn't go over very well. I'm glad UD gets the Dukes early this year while they're still trying to figure out what schemes their using.

cmaxwellgsu
February 21st, 2013, 02:36 PM
JMU has re-posted the OC job, apparently Mumme told Mickey he wanted to throw the ball more & that didn't go over very well. I'm glad UD gets the Dukes early this year while they're still trying to figure out what schemes their using.

I thought that would be an odd mix to pair up a pass happy OC with a solid defense. While it can put up lots of points, it can put lots of stress on a defense. Not very surprised to see this stopped before it started.

jmufan999
February 21st, 2013, 03:26 PM

Are you making a joke or did you read this somewhere?

lionsrking2
February 21st, 2013, 03:40 PM
I thought that would be an odd mix to pair up a pass happy OC with a solid defense. While it can put up lots of points, it can put lots of stress on a defense. Not very surprised to see this stopped before it started.

Was told a couple of weeks ago Hal was not taking the JMU job ... don't think he ever was.

grayghost06
February 21st, 2013, 05:02 PM

Was told a couple of weeks ago Hal was not taking the JMU job ... don't think he ever was.

Bill, is this something you heard or are assuming? While I could def. see that scenario unfolding, no one on our boards had heard of this disharmony. None of the beat writers have reported this. All we know is that he's going to accept a BCS OC position.

Lions, are you from Texas w/ connections? That's what we're hearing as far as where Mumme is heading. Don't know which school.

lionsrking2
February 21st, 2013, 11:03 PM
Bill, is this something you heard or are assuming? While I could def. see that scenario unfolding, no one on our boards had heard of this disharmony. None of the beat writers have reported this. All we know is that he's going to accept a BCS OC position.

Lions, are you from Texas w/ connections? That's what we're hearing as far as where Mumme is heading. Don't know which school.

Hal was the head coach here from 2002 through 2004 and he's still tight with a lot of folks ... my source had contact with Hal directly and told me sometime around the first of February Hal wasn't taking the JMU job despite the rumors. He didn't say which school but said he had some Pac-12/Big 12 offers ... first thing that came to mind is Washington State since he and Leach are old coaching buddies and essentially invented the Air Raid together - with some help from Lavelle Edwards and Bill Walsh ... Texas Tech would be the other for similar reasons.

JMU2004
February 22nd, 2013, 08:51 AM
Hal was the head coach here from 2002 through 2004 and he's still tight with a lot of folks ... my source had contact with Hal directly and told me sometime around the first of February Hal wasn't taking the JMU job despite the rumors. He didn't say which school but said he had some Pac-12/Big 12 offers ... first thing that came to mind is Washington State since he and Leach are old coaching buddies and essentially invented the Air Raid together - with some help from Lavelle Edwards and Bill Walsh ... Texas Tech would be the other for similar reasons.

As of Wednesday, when Hal called to say he had a BCS offer, a press conference was on and Mumme was scheduled to be picked up at the airport. He had been in town meeting with players as well over the last month.

If what you say is true, then he is a d-bag for leading JMU on for 2 months when they could have been looking elsewhere.

lionsrking2
February 22nd, 2013, 01:55 PM
As of Wednesday, when Hal called to say he had a BCS offer, a press conference was on and Mumme was scheduled to be picked up at the airport. He had been in town meeting with players as well over the last month.

If what you say is true, then he is a d-bag for leading JMU on for 2 months when they could have been looking elsewhere.

Just telling you what I was told from someone with direct access ... coaches say and do things all the time for leverage purposes and nothing Hal does surprises me.

kdinva
February 23rd, 2013, 07:39 AM
One of the writers for the Richmond Times-Dispatch has tweeted that Mumme is taking the O.C. Spot at SMU........and picked up by coachingsearch.com......and others.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/22/hal-mumme-reportedly-joining-smu-as-oc/

ngineer
February 23rd, 2013, 11:14 AM
Will their new slogan be "Mumme's the Word"..??

pike51
February 27th, 2013, 07:25 AM
One of the writers for the Richmond Times-Dispatch has tweeted that Mumme is taking the O.C. Spot at SMU........and picked up by coachingsearch.com......and others.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/22/hal-mumme-reportedly-joining-smu-as-oc/

Mumme to SMU makes sense.