PDA

View Full Version : ETSU's Next Football Coach?

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
January 25th, 2013, 07:33 AM
This man needs no introduction and his resume speaks for himself. Maybe he bring Jamey Chadwell onboard as his OC/HC in waiting until he retires.

I nominate Phil Fulmer.

http://johnsoncitypress.com/Sports/article.php?id=104403

Laker
January 25th, 2013, 08:14 AM
Getting a name coach would bring instant attention to the program. I always thought that Phil got screwed. Look at the UT program since he was fired..........

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
January 25th, 2013, 09:47 AM
Getting a name coach would bring instant attention to the program. I always thought that Phil got screwed. Look at the UT program since he was fired..........

Indeed he was, UT had a Clemson man running the show who was paintballing the whole time until UT got a pro in Dave Hart. Hart went and got Butch Jones from Cincinnati (a proven winner) unlike Dooley (a proven loser at LA Tech) and Lane "Leave You Like" Kiffin (a proven loser in the NFL). I hope Southern Cal fires Kiffin AFTER he gets the hell beat out of him by an SEC school (hopefully Tennessee will Butch-slap him on his way out).

Laker
January 25th, 2013, 10:01 AM
I hope Southern Cal fires Kiffin AFTER he gets the hell beat out of him by an SEC school (hopefully Tennessee will Butch-slap him on his way out).

USC is my second most disliked team behind Notre Dame. I think that Kiffin is the most overrated coach I can remember. I hope that he stays there until the Coliseum is empty. But if they have another season like this one, he is gone.

T-Dog
January 25th, 2013, 11:29 PM
I do think Fulmer somewhat deserve to be fired. He was gradually losing control of the program on and off the field. However I do feel that he has learned from his experience and would be a great hire at ETSU.

ThompsonThe
January 28th, 2013, 01:16 AM
A lot of us App State fans miss ETSU football almost as much as your own fans.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
January 28th, 2013, 09:12 AM

Given that I went to both ETSU and ASU, I could not agree anymore.

chattanoogamocs
January 28th, 2013, 02:10 PM

Most Chattanooga fans feel the same way. Obviously, basketball was the key rivalry between the Mocs and Bucs, but it definitely spilled over onto the football field too. ETSU was Chattanooga's truest rival, we miss them terribly in the SoCon.

Plus, the Mocs just want a chance to revenge the last game in the UTC-ETSU football series: 68-7 Bucs. (special thanks go out to Rodney Allison for that one) xbangx

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
January 29th, 2013, 08:07 AM
Most Chattanooga fans feel the same way. Obviously, basketball was the key rivalry between the Mocs and Bucs, but it definitely spilled over onto the football field too. ETSU was Chattanooga's truest rival, we miss them terribly in the SoCon.

Plus, the Mocs just want a chance to revenge the last game in the UTC-ETSU football series: 68-7 Bucs. (special thanks go out to Rodney Allison for that one) xbangx

The Citadel would probably be in agreement with you on that as well. ETSU 16, The Citadel 13 (last ETSU home game 11/22/2003)

chattownmocs
January 29th, 2013, 11:04 AM
Why in the Hell would Phillip Fulmer take that job? Also please stop with the "Dave Hart is a pro" nonsense. He obviously doesn't understand that you have to spend money to make money. Please let him go back to Bama and be with his idol Saban.

asumike83
January 29th, 2013, 02:32 PM
Why in the Hell would Phillip Fulmer take that job?

As far as I know, he is not working anywhere at the moment and if he wants to get back into coaching, this would be a way to do it in a state that he has excellent recruiting connections. If he gets ETSU started up and turns them into a winner, the bigger programs will take notice. Same reason Coker is at UTSA or Solich is at Ohio U.

FCS_pwns_FBS
January 29th, 2013, 02:56 PM
If it was my team I'd be very leary of hiring Fulmer. Many times when you hire a coach who has previously coached at a higher level and has never been a HC at the FCS level you tend to get a guy who thinks winning at the FCS level is a cakewalk.

See Danny Rocco at Liberty.
See Brian VanDunderhead at GSU.
See Bill Curry at Georgia State.

I'm sure there are more examples.

chattownmocs
January 29th, 2013, 08:43 PM
As far as I know, he is not working anywhere at the moment and if he wants to get back into coaching, this would be a way to do it in a state that he has excellent recruiting connections. If he gets ETSU started up and turns them into a winner, the bigger programs will take notice. Same reason Coker is at UTSA or Solich is at Ohio U.

Phillip Fulmer is in the hall of fame. He may have run tennessee into the ground but he first took it to the mountaintop. Larry Coker and Frank Solich aren't good head coaches and never were.

chattownmocs
January 29th, 2013, 08:47 PM
If it was my team I'd be very leary of hiring Fulmer. Many times when you hire a coach who has previously coached at a higher level and has never been a HC at the FCS level you tend to get a guy who thinks winning at the FCS level is a cakewalk.

See Brian VanDunderhead at GSU.
See Bill Curry at Georgia State.

I'm sure there are more examples.

The comparisons get worse as the thread goes on I see.

Saint3333
January 29th, 2013, 09:19 PM
UT-k fan crossing

SOCON DOMINATES
January 29th, 2013, 10:48 PM
In coaching circles a good choice for the Bucs would be Jack Teachey. ETSU grad, knows the SOCON and was just elevated to DC at Wofford.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
January 30th, 2013, 07:50 AM
Other good choices would be Jamey Chadwell (ETSU alum, I know personally since he was in one of my classes when I was a student there, HC at Charleston Southern) and I heard Billy Taylor's name being mentioned (former DC @ ETSU).

FCS_pwns_FBS
January 30th, 2013, 07:56 AM
The comparisons get worse as the thread goes on I see.

Give me an example where a hire like that has worked.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 30th, 2013, 08:57 AM

Huh? In his six years as Liberty head coach, Danny Rocco never had a losing record, won (I think) 3 Big South championships and was screwed at least twice out of an at-large bid to the playoffs. Lumping him in with VanGorder and Curry isn't just unfair, it's stupid.

FCS_pwns_FBS
January 30th, 2013, 09:09 AM
Huh? In his six years as Liberty head coach, Danny Rocco never had a losing record, won (I think) 3 Big South championships and was screwed at least twice out of an at-large bid to the playoffs. Lumping him in with VanGorder and Curry isn't just unfair, it's stupid.

Oops, I was thinking of Rutigliano who was actually HC of the Browns.

asumike83
January 30th, 2013, 09:15 AM
Phillip Fulmer is in the hall of fame. He may have run tennessee into the ground but he first took it to the mountaintop. Larry Coker and Frank Solich aren't good head coaches and never were.

I have not followed any of them closely enough to debate that. I just meant that they are "name" coaches who have had success at a high level, were not able to sustain it and then took jobs at lower-level programs to get a fresh start. Coker won a NC and got National Coach of the Year at Miami. Solich was not as successful but still win a few Big 12 titles and was Big 12 Coach of the Year a couple times at Nebraska.

I don't think Fulmer would take a job like this if he had more lucrative offers (which he might, for all I know) but familiar recruiting ground would be a good place for him to get his foot back in the door. Even now, his name carries some weight at Tennessee high schools and I think he could make ETSU a successful FCS program, which could lead to a bigger job.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
January 30th, 2013, 10:12 AM
I don't think Fulmer would take a job like this if he had more lucrative offers (which he might, for all I know) but familiar recruiting ground would be a good place for him to get his foot back in the door. Even now, his name carries some weight at Tennessee high schools and I think he could make ETSU a successful FCS program, which could lead to a bigger job.

Assuming Fulmer takes the job, I thinks he stays there until he retires. I have no doubt in my mind that Fulmer can get it done at ETSU. Given the right set of circumstances, I would not be surprised to see ETSU moving on up in ten years.

citdog
January 30th, 2013, 06:38 PM
I would not be surprised to see ETSU moving on up in ten years.

JEEBUS this new generation of app fans are all schmeckle nuzzlers.

kdinva
January 31st, 2013, 01:31 PM
Don Powers?

citdog
January 31st, 2013, 01:38 PM
Don Powers?

WOW! That's a name from the past. Coach Powers is a fine coach and an even better man.

http://www.thecitadelfootballassociation.com/CFA%20Through%20The%20Years/images/donpowers.jpg

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
February 1st, 2013, 12:37 PM
JEEBUS this new generation of app fans are all schmeckle nuzzlers.

This "app fan" is actually an alumnus of ETSU who became an "app fan" when the evil ones (Stanton/Mullins) poo-canned the football program. My connection to Appalachian State is that I was a graduate student there for under two years before leaving because of financial/academic issues (GPA slightly below 3.0 at ASU). I listened to the last ETSU football game on the radio (a game that ETSU won, who was that opponent BTW) and it was a bittersweet moment for me. I was ecstatic when Stanton announced his retirement two years ago and beyond ecstatic when Mullins announced his "retirement" last month. I will be glad to see ETSU return to the SoCon with hopefully Phil Fulmer running the show.