PDA

View Full Version : SNW: Preview of the Independents

TexasTerror
August 25th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Oddly did not see this on SNW's site just yet, but did find this article about the independents in I-AA. Once we get the link from SNW, I'll post that here, if someone doesn't beat me to it...

Austin Peay, Savannah State, Central Arkansas and Winston Salem State are featured...

http://sport.monstersandcritics.com/iacollege/article_1194537.php/Independent_-_Bears_aiming_for_first-year_impact

TexasTerror
August 25th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Here's the link and the lead for the SNW story...

Independent - Bears aiming for first-year impact

By Matt Dougherty, I-AA Editor

Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - In 2003, Northern Colorado made a splash in its first season as a I-AA member by winning at a Montana State team that went on to win the Big Sky Conference. The next year, North Dakota State got its I- AA tenure off to a good start by defeating eventual Southland Conference champion Northwestern State.

After an appearance in last year’s Division II quarterfinals, the Central Arkansas Bears are ready to add their name to the list of first-year I-AA programs to nocth a significant win or two.

The Bears will get plenty of chances to score important victories this season, with two games against their future Southland Conference peers, two matchups with the Gateway and Great West, and a season-ending road trip to Georgia Southern. Those teams would be wise not to take the Bears lightly. UCA returns three players that earned Division II All-America honors, a quarterback with an 8-1 record, and most of the players from an explosive offense and solid defense. The Bears won the deep Gulf South Conference last year, and have run off a string of quality seasons under head coach Clint Conque.

They probably won’t win a bunch of games against I-AA opponents, especially when six of the seven contests are on the road. But the Bears have a great chance to score a couple of big wins and start earning respect from their new peers.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=/cfoot2/news/AGN4037623.htm