PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Brown to leave UTC for the same position at Georgia State

Tuscon
January 17th, 2013, 08:45 AM
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2013/jan/17/mocs-lose-brown-to-gsu/?print

Sour grapes from your coach.

cbarrier90
January 17th, 2013, 08:49 AM
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2013/jan/17/mocs-lose-brown-to-gsu/?print

Sour grapes from your coach.

Why am I not surprised at Huesman's behavior at this point?

chattownmocs
January 17th, 2013, 09:19 AM
I don't really know what Brown did that was so great. We had some of the worst production from rbs in the nation. Human was very gracious to say he did a great job. This is how you wash out of coaching early. Start making a bunch of lateral moves early in your career.

Tuscon
January 17th, 2013, 09:26 AM
I don't really know what Brown did that was so great. We had some of the worst production from rbs in the nation. Human was very gracious to say he did a great job. This is how you wash out of coaching early. Start making a bunch of lateral moves early in your career.

Huesman? Lateral? You're nuts, sir.

asumike83
January 17th, 2013, 09:29 AM
I love how Huesman says he "took him out of the weight room at Georgia and gave him his first job" like he found him naked in the street and clothed him. I'd be willing to bet that Coach Brown's paycheck would disagree with his assertion that this move is lateral.

chattownmocs
January 17th, 2013, 09:46 AM
Im willing to bet the starboard in the Georgia Dome next year will show that this was a backward move. Georgia State is an absolute disaster. To open up a school that is going to FBS in their location and still be this bad is abhorrent.

Tuscon
January 17th, 2013, 09:57 AM
Im willing to bet the starboard in the Georgia Dome next year will show that this was a backward move. Georgia State is an absolute disaster. To open up a school that is going to FBS in their location and still be this bad is abhorrent.

Must suck to be UTC then with such a terrible program able to cherry pick your assistants.

chattownmocs
January 17th, 2013, 10:10 AM
Is that going to make you feel better when chattanooga kicks your ***?

Tuscon
January 17th, 2013, 10:37 AM
Is that going to make you feel better when chattanooga kicks your ***?

Yes?

Tribe4SF
January 17th, 2013, 02:25 PM
Yeesh. Animosity in a Georgia State thread. Who'd a thunk.

Apphole
January 17th, 2013, 02:30 PM
Wow. An FBS mocery poaching an FCS Moc. He's moving from a perennial loser to a flaming poo. Not lateral at all. I'd say its a move down.

Who would want this guy anyway? Chatty's offense was terrible this year. Georgia State really can't do anything right. I can not wait for GaSt junior over in Concord, NC to relive your comically bad history.

Saint3333
January 17th, 2013, 02:43 PM
UNCC has much better leadership than GA St. Their other athletic teams are historically better than GA St's. No one can duplicate the comedy of errors GA St. did in three years of football.

GlassOnion
January 17th, 2013, 03:07 PM
Huesman may well be on the hot seat after this year. He has illustrated how not to get a program "over the hump." He's shown he can assemble a pretty good defense, but his offenses are atrocious, and being a head coach requires a proficiency on both sides of the ball. He'll make somebody a hell of a D coordinator in 2014 though.

seantaylor
January 18th, 2013, 03:11 AM
Bad move for him. Georgia State won't win a game next year.

Tuscon
January 18th, 2013, 07:57 AM
Bad move for him. Georgia State won't win a game next year.

But he'll be gaining experience in an FBS program, making more money, and live in his hometown. Sounds like a good move to me. Especially if we are able to turn this thing around.

cmaxwellgsu
January 18th, 2013, 11:39 AM
But he'll be gaining experience in an FBS program, making more money, and live in his hometown. Sounds like a good move to me. Especially if we are able to turn this thing around.

Hope he rents instead of buys.....

Apphole
January 18th, 2013, 11:52 AM
Hope he rents instead of buys.....

No way. He should buy. There is no way he brings Ga St to any kind of success whatseover, so why would any other school offer him a job? He's stuck there until he has to retire from coaching entirely.

And he thought Chatty sucked....

Tuscon
January 18th, 2013, 11:59 AM
I don't follow UTC like you SoCon folks, but according to AJC they averaged 167.7 yards per game on the ground last season. That's not bad. Why is there no way he brings us success in our running game?

chattownmocs
January 18th, 2013, 12:40 PM
I don't follow UTC like you SoCon folks, but according to AJC they averaged 167.7 yards per game on the ground last season. That's not bad. Why is there no way he brings us success in our running game?

Most of that from the QB.

Tuscon
January 18th, 2013, 12:56 PM
Like I said, I don't really follow the SoCon too closely. Oh well. Went ahead and pulled up your stats though(http://www.gomocs.com/fls/17700/stats/football/2012/2012_Season_Stats.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=17700) and it looks like that's just because he got a ridiculous number of carries more than your RBs. Production from the running backs wasn't terrible: Huitt had 5.1 ypc, Green - 5.2, Tyson - 3.7. Some others fell a little short.

Tuscon
January 18th, 2013, 12:57 PM
Your QB situation looks weird. Why was Robinson not getting most of the attempts? Looks like the better QB on paper.

Apphole
January 18th, 2013, 01:00 PM
He's right. From what I saw during the App game (granted not necessarily an accurate sample), they got 80% of their rushing yards when Robinson/Huesman was scrambling, especially when Robinson was running for his life in garbage time when they were down by 21+.

UTC's run game was pretty nonexistent besides that, granted their poor O-line play was probably primarily responsible. I'm not saying Brown is terrible, it's just hard to justify an FBS program seeking him out for no apparent reason. His resume is mediocre at best. But if history has taught us anything is that medicrity>Georgia State Football.

Apphole
January 18th, 2013, 01:01 PM
Your QB situation looks weird. Why was Robinson not getting most of the attempts? Looks like the better QB on paper.

Nepotism. Robinson is a better QB. Notice the head coaches last name.

Tuscon
January 18th, 2013, 01:10 PM
He's right. From what I saw during the App game (granted not necessarily an accurate sample), they got 80% of their rushing yards when Robinson/Huesman was scrambling, especially when Robinson was running for his life in garbage time when they were down by 21+.

UTC's run game was pretty nonexistent besides that, granted their poor O-line play was probably primarily responsible. I'm not saying Brown is terrible, it's just hard to justify an FBS program seeking him out for no apparent reason. His resume is mediocre at best. But if history has taught us anything is that medicrity>Georgia State Football.

I think we grabbed him up more for recruiting inroads into Tucker and DeKalb County. It doesn't hurt that he was a star RB at UGA. At least that's what it looks like to me.

There are only 3 seasons of history for us, one of those winning. No need to be a tool. I'm not sitting here saying Georgia State will mightily crush all who stand in our way.

Nepotism. Robinson is a better QB. Notice the head coaches last name.

I did notice that. I wasn't going to bring it up, but it's apparent.

chattownmocs
January 18th, 2013, 01:11 PM

Not on paper or on the field.

Tuscon
January 18th, 2013, 01:26 PM
Not on paper or on the field.

Pretty much a dead heat on the ground and 140 vs. 134 in passing efficiency. That's better on paper.

chattownmocs
January 18th, 2013, 01:38 PM
Pretty much a dead heat on the ground and 140 vs. 134 in passing efficiency. That's better on paper.

1 of 1 is a better percentage than 999 out of 1000.

Tuscon
January 18th, 2013, 01:43 PM
1 of 1 is a better percentage than 999 out of 1000.

That's why I didn't include your 1 for 1 RB. 44 passing attempts is meaningful though.

blueballs
January 18th, 2013, 01:49 PM
Huesman's got it right with his son at QB and Robinson at WR.

Huesman is going to be a great QB for Chatty and Robinson is a natural at WR. I was really impressed with both of them against GSU this year. With some more time and game experience in their roles under their belts, they will be darned good.

chattownmocs
January 18th, 2013, 01:51 PM
That's why I didn't include your 1 for 1 RB. 44 passing attempts is meaningful though.

Robinson also had the disadvantage of not being able to throw the ball to himself. Even if Robinson is a little bit better QB, the fact that he is an all-conference caliber WR while Huesman is not, makes this an easy choice.

You are also missing the fact that Robinson quit the team at the mere thought of having to compete for the QB job. Huesman had 180 yards passing and 170 yards rushing including clutch plays to bring Chattanooga back from 17 down and what should have been OT that week. That pretty much gave him a major leg up after Robinson when Robinson rejoined the team.

Tuscon
January 18th, 2013, 02:13 PM
See, a lot of that doesn't show up just looking at a stat sheet. Sounds like you got it right.

mountaineer in Cane Land
January 20th, 2013, 04:14 PM
ya know, I dont blame Huesman being pissed that he is leaving, but dam, it makes him look bad when you say things like that to the press, it doesnt accomplish anything, plus its just a freckin running backs coach, hell, it wont take him anytime to fill that position. Some times I think Huesman's emotions get the better of him, and he doesnt think before he opens his mouth.

SpeedkingATL
January 21st, 2013, 09:26 AM
There is so much high school talent in the Atlanta area that GaSt could make a huge improvement in one or two years if they can recruit. They are in an FBS conference so why wouldn't a coach from FCS make the change especially if there are more dollars involved which I'm sure there are. Huesman isn't the most tactful guy but at least if you are a player coach or fan, you know where he stands; he has the mind and attitude of a linebacker.