PDA

View Full Version : Former Montana RB Sentenced to 30 Years

superman7515
January 16th, 2013, 08:53 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/14/us/former-montana-football-player-sentenced-in-rape.html?src=recg

HELENA, Mont. — A former running back for the University of Montana Grizzlies football team has been sentenced to 30 years in jail for the rape of a childhood friend in 2010 as she slept on a sofa in his apartment.

The former athlete, Beau Donaldson, wept as the sentence was read in court on Friday. The judge suspended 20 years of his sentence, and Mr. Donaldson will be eligible for parole after he serves a quarter of his sentence, or two and a half years. The defense had requested five years, served in community treatment. Mr. Donaldson was charged in February 2012.

The case is one of several sexual assault cases and allegations that have caused controversy in Missoula, a devoted football town. The rape trial of the former starting quarterback, Jordan Johnson, is scheduled for Feb. 8.

The United States Justice Department is investigating how the university, the City of Missoula and Missoula County handled complaints of sexual assaults.

PAllen
January 16th, 2013, 09:44 PM
Holy Crap! 2.5 years for rape?! Seriously? And am I right in reading the the prosecutor only asked for 1.25 (25% of 5) in community treatment? To be fair, I know next to nothing about the case. But if this is the way the former football players are being treated in the courts, I can't see the DOJ not stepping in with some kind of federal charges.

Either way, hopefully this helps to start to bring closure to UM, Missoula, and all of those affected by these horrible events.