PDA

View Full Version : North Florida begins to explore adding football

FargoBison
January 15th, 2013, 10:43 PM
The University of North Florida will begin a fact-gathering process about the possibility of adding football to the school, UNF president John Delaney said on Tuesday.

Delaney authorized the UNF Board of Trustees to begin soliciting input from students and faculty, and in addition, do some of the early legwork to see just how realistic adding the sport would be.

“I do want to stress that we’re thinking about thinking about it,” Delaney said. “We’ve made no commitment. We haven’t begun discussions with the faculty or looking at the budgets.”

It’s a change of direction for the school on the football issue, brought on entirely from how much the landscape has shifted in college athletics in less than a decade. Delaney said that when recommended that UNF make the move to NCAA Division I in 2004, he punctuated it with the “three no’s” — no change in admission standards, no academic funds to be used on athletics, and no football.

http://staugustine.com/sports/high-school/2013-01-15/unf-begins-explore-possibility-adding-football-program

totoinfl
January 16th, 2013, 08:01 AM
This is one of the faster growing small universities in Florida. With Stetson adding football (Pioneer League?), the pressure is on somewhat. I don't think they would have to change their admission standards, its not like getting admitted to UCF, UF or FSU now...

http://staugustine.com/sports/high-school/2013-01-15/unf-begins-explore-possibility-adding-football-program

Hammerhead
January 16th, 2013, 08:44 AM
They also have to be one of the newest public universities since it wasn't established until 1969.

TheRevSFA
January 16th, 2013, 08:46 AM
They also have to be one of the newest public universities since it wasn't established until 1969.

Florida Gulf Coast University was established in 1991...talk about new

Laker
January 16th, 2013, 09:04 AM
It isn't like they wouldn't have a pool of potential players. A school with 25,000 should have a football team. Heck, a school with 2,500 should have a football team..........;)

813Jag
January 16th, 2013, 09:07 AM
It isn't like they wouldn't have a pool of potential players. A school with 25,000 should have a football team. Heck, a school with 2,500 should have a football team..........;)
plus they have a good recruiting base

superman7515
January 16th, 2013, 09:08 AM
With East Tennessee State and Florida Gulf Coast also interested to some degree in football, Stetson and Kennessaw State with football on the way, and Jacksonville still hanging in there it might not be too long until the Atlantic Sun sponsors football.

Laker
January 16th, 2013, 09:14 AM
plus they have a good recruiting base Agreed. They should be able to fill the ranks quickly if they add the sport.

With East Tennessee State and Florida Gulf Coast also interested to some degree in football, Stetson and Kennessaw State with football on the way, and Jacksonville still hanging in there it might not be too long until the Atlantic Sun sponsors football.

I know that this was addressed on another thread, but most of the places adding football seem to be in the South and most of the ones dropping are in the Northeast.

Does anyone know what the biggest school is that doesn't have football?

Professor Chaos
January 16th, 2013, 09:20 AM
Agreed. They should be able to fill the ranks quickly if they add the sport.

I know that this was addressed on another thread, but most of the places adding football seem to be in the South and most of the ones dropping are in the Northeast.

Illinois-Chicago (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Illinois_at_Chicago) has over 28K students (~16K undergrad) and no football program.

EDIT: Just looked it up and it looks like Cal State Fullerton (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cal_State_Fullerton) is actually the largest at over 37K students.

NHwildEcat
January 16th, 2013, 09:30 AM

In my regions, BU is the largest school to not have a football team. They have just over 30K.

Laker
January 16th, 2013, 09:31 AM
Illinois-Chicago (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Illinois_at_Chicago) has over 28K students (~16K undergrad) and no football program.

EDIT: Just looked it up and it looks like Cal State Fullerton (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cal_State_Fullerton) is actually the largest at over 37K students.

Wow. That is huge. I remember when Fullerton had football- there were a whole group of Caly schools that dropped. Good investigating work, Professor!

DFW HOYA
January 16th, 2013, 09:33 AM

NYU (38,391)

UAalum72
January 16th, 2013, 09:35 AM
In my regions, BU is the largest school to not have a football team. They have just over 30K.That's in Division I. D-III NYU has 38,000 students (19,000 undergrad, BU has 15K UG).

superman7515
January 16th, 2013, 09:57 AM

Since you didn't say public, or if they even have to have sports at all, the answer is:
University of Phoenix - 307,871 (445,600 total)

Public schools would be Miami Dade College - 63,736

fc97
January 16th, 2013, 10:09 AM
north florida is rumored to be on the short list of schools in dialog with the socon with kennesaw state and mercer

Laker
January 16th, 2013, 11:05 AM
Since you didn't say public, or if they even have to have sports at all, the answer is:

That is one huge JC. Five sports, three for women, two for men. I like the name "Sharks".
http://www.mdc.edu/athletics/default.asp

DFW HOYA
January 16th, 2013, 12:06 PM
Other large Division I schools lacking football:

Texas-Arlington (33K)
Utah Valley (33K)
George Mason (32K)
Boston U. (30K)
Illinois-Chicago (28K)

Laker
January 16th, 2013, 12:29 PM

Texas-Arlington (33K)
Utah Valley (33K)
George Mason (32K)
Boston U. (30K)
Illinois-Chicago (28K)

I haven't heard that any of these are going to start up, or in the case of BU or UTA, resume football. I didn't know that these schools were so large.

dgtw
January 16th, 2013, 08:30 PM
I could see Arlington starting a team, I think they used to have one.

Laker
January 16th, 2013, 08:36 PM
I could see Arlington starting a team, I think they used to have one.

From Wikipedia:
UT Arlington fielded a Division II football program in the Southland Conference from 1964 to 1969, a Division I College Level program from 1970 to 1974 and a Division I program from 1975 to 1985. Home games were played in Maverick Stadium beginning in the 1980 season. The Mavericks were conference champions in 1966, 1967, and 1981. In 1967, the team won the Pecan Bowl against the North Dakota Fighting Sioux,[12] the only bowl game in its history. The team was disbanded after the 1985 season due to major financial losses (nearly one million dollars per year) and low home game average attendance (5,600 with 23,100 students).

MplsBison
January 16th, 2013, 10:48 PM

Enrollment doesn't mean anything in higher education.

Largest endowment with no football team - Emory University (Atlanta, GA). North of 5 billion dollars, no football.

813Jag
January 17th, 2013, 07:33 AM

they already have a stadium :lol:

JUFan
January 18th, 2013, 03:34 PM
UNF has always been in step with JU just a few miles down the road. They both compete for local students and both have some very good degree and sports programs. Heck, JU played for the Basketball national championship against UCLA in the 70s one year.

That said, UNF is public with a much larger, albeit commuter, student base.

Their stadium needs upgrades and better parking. (There's a running joke in that the campus sells more passes than spots to raise revenue with parking tickets.) The stands would hold a a thousand give or take, and seriously there is no addition parking for game days. A few hundred grass spots is being generous.

If they can get funding to fix those issues and start a team, they could get some really good local talent and be good in no time with a good coach.

*and yes, JU's field is crap for seating and a big laughing stock, but they are upgrading it to 4500 seats with media boxes and such. The first phase is over 5 million in cost, phases 2 and 3 are unknown.
http://m.jacksonville.com/sports/college/2012-11-30/story/jacksonville-university-plans-new-football-stadium-athletics

Maybe the new teams will force the A10 to sponsor football.

superman7515
January 18th, 2013, 03:53 PM

The A10 is not going to sponsor football because of UNF and Jacksonville.

UAalum72
January 18th, 2013, 05:09 PM

The A10 is not going to sponsor football because of UNF and Jacksonville.
But the A-Sun might

fc97
January 18th, 2013, 05:57 PM
But the A-Sun might

doubtful, the big south will expand.

unf is on the socon short list of the 3rd of 3 members for expansion. mercer and etsu are nearly done deals.

MplsBison
January 18th, 2013, 06:36 PM
UNF has always been in step with JU just a few miles down the road. They both compete for local students and both have some very good degree and sports programs. Heck, JU played for the Basketball national championship against UCLA in the 70s one year.

That said, UNF is public with a much larger, albeit commuter, student base.

Their stadium needs upgrades and better parking. (There's a running joke in that the campus sells more passes than spots to raise revenue with parking tickets.) The stands would hold a a thousand give or take, and seriously there is no addition parking for game days. A few hundred grass spots is being generous.

If they can get funding to fix those issues and start a team, they could get some really good local talent and be good in no time with a good coach.

*and yes, JU's field is crap for seating and a big laughing stock, but they are upgrading it to 4500 seats with media boxes and such. The first phase is over 5 million in cost, phases 2 and 3 are unknown.
http://m.jacksonville.com/sports/college/2012-11-30/story/jacksonville-university-plans-new-football-stadium-athletics

Scholarships any time soon for JU football?

BlueHenSinfonian
January 18th, 2013, 11:23 PM
At least they could have a cool cheer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTGTeSblKwk

JUFan
January 19th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Scholarships any time soon for JU football?

Thats a rumor I've heard, and one possible reason Kerwin Bell hasn't moved on to a higher profile and better paying job.

There were a few benefactors that fought against having football and they are no longer in the way, and the new AD is big on sports as well so it is a possibility. JU hired Brad Edwards who played 9 seasons in the NFL, and has worked at the University of South Carolina in a variety of assistant AD roles.
http://www.judolphins.com/athletics/directory/27/3766/

His work in higher education began in 1999, joining the University of South Carolina Athletics Department in the role of Assistant Athletic Director for Development. Edwards eventually rose to Senior Associate Athletics Director/CFO where he oversaw financial operations during a time of unprecedented growth with the annual revenue budget increasing from $28,000,000 to total revenue from all sources of over $52,000,000. He also oversaw external sales and marketing and during his tenure, played a primary role in the development of over $170,000,000 in revenue, construction projects and project financing.

I wouldn't be surprised to see JU add scholarships in the next 2-3 years.

ITmonarch10
January 20th, 2013, 06:56 AM

Texas-Arlington (33K) - Texas is already bloated with football teams
Utah Valley (33K) - A small city and not a lot metros around. BYU, Utah and Utah State control what they have
George Mason (32K) - Honestly, Virginia Commonwealth University or George Mason could start an FCS team. They just don't seem to have the will.
Boston U. (30K)- College football is dying in the North east
Illinois-Chicago (28K)- They could but it seems like they might suffer the same problems as Nova. The very last resort for football in a large metro area

My thoughts on these canidates

Dane96
January 20th, 2013, 05:04 PM
Your BU and UIC comments make ZERO sense.

ITmonarch10
January 20th, 2013, 11:02 PM
Your BU and UIC comments make ZERO sense.

Nova has abysmal attendance even when they are winning. They are completely eclipsed by Temple, Penn State, Pitt, Eagles, and Steelers. Boston U may have more students than Nova but getting them to care in the crowed Boston market with Boston College, Umass, New England and other pro teams in easy driving distance is another matter. Considering the declining in College football popularity in the Northeast, it seems foolish to start a FCS team now only to go deep into the red and gain little benefit.

UIC had a football team until 1970. They canceled after averaging 300-400 people in attendance at the football games games in its final years. That horrible at college level of football in all eras ,so they technically they would be below Nova. I'm afraid the University fans have already been swallowed up by the states Big 10 Schools. Unless the alumni make a push out of nowhere, I don't see it happening.

*Why am I using Nova?? Because I think Nova football will disappear in 10 years due to lack of interest. In these economic conditions, you need to know you are going to have a solid base of fans attending the games. Football is the biggest drain on an athletic budget.

Dane96
January 21st, 2013, 08:52 AM
You said football was dying in the Northeast and used UIC, 'NOVA and BU as examples.

In fact, football is NOT DYING in the Northeast. While it will never have the same following as it gets in the South...your statement is patently false and you used two poor examples (plus UIC).

TheRevSFA
January 21st, 2013, 08:53 AM
Would Hofstra be a better example?

TheRevSFA
January 21st, 2013, 08:55 AM

Texas-Arlington (33K)
Utah Valley (33K)
George Mason (32K)
Boston U. (30K)
Illinois-Chicago (28K)

Texas-Arlington supposedly passed a referendum to bring football back to Maverick Stadium.

On a side note, Maverick Stadium is where I played my high school football, since Arlington High School and Arlington-Bowie shared the stadium. That turf sucked...

Dane96
January 21st, 2013, 12:34 PM
Would Hofstra be a better example?

No...that was a strong-armed bull**** deal by the President who hated fooball. BU = Hofstra from that standpoint.

TheRevSFA
January 21st, 2013, 12:45 PM
No...that was a strong-armed bull**** deal by the President who hated fooball. BU = Hofstra from that standpoint.

I know..I was just trying to poke you...get you fired up.

kperk014
January 21st, 2013, 01:21 PM

The biggest "name" school without football? Notre Dame.

Franks Tanks
January 21st, 2013, 01:21 PM
Nova has abysmal attendance even when they are winning. They are completely eclipsed by Temple, Penn State, Pitt, Eagles, and Steelers. Boston U may have more students than Nova but getting them to care in the crowed Boston market with Boston College, Umass, New England and other pro teams in easy driving distance is another matter. Considering the declining in College football popularity in the Northeast, it seems foolish to start a FCS team now only to go deep into the red and gain little benefit.

UIC had a football team until 1970. They canceled after averaging 300-400 people in attendance at the football games games in its final years. That horrible at college level of football in all eras ,so they technically they would be below Nova. I'm afraid the University fans have already been swallowed up by the states Big 10 Schools. Unless the alumni make a push out of nowhere, I don't see it happening.

*Why am I using Nova?? Because I think Nova football will disappear in 10 years due to lack of interest. In these economic conditions, you need to know you are going to have a solid base of fans attending the games. Football is the biggest drain on an athletic budget.

Your arguement is extremely odd. You note that "They are completely eclipsed by Temple, Penn State, Pitt, Eagles, and Steelers." well ya, typically FBS and pro teams have better attendance than a FCS schoo and get more exposurel. Also why is PSU, PITT and the Steelers even relevant here? You do realize that Pittsburgh is over 5 hours from Philly, and PSU over 3 hours? Very few people are passing up a game a Nova to attend a game at PSU or Pitt. Also nearly every FCS, and many FBS teams, operate in the red. It is only a money making endeavor for a small handfull of schools.

Nova is a relatively small private school, that is also a b-ball first school. The Philly area is crowded and people have many options- Temple also has poor football attendance. Actually most Urban school have pretty medicore attendance (Pitt, BC Northwestern). Nova doesn't have great attendance and probably never will, but they still get 5-10 per game. I don't think Nova football will be gone in 10 years.

ITmonarch10
January 22nd, 2013, 11:20 AM
Your arguement is extremely odd. You note that "They are completely eclipsed by Temple, Penn State, Pitt, Eagles, and Steelers." well ya, typically FBS and pro teams have better attendance than a FCS schoo and get more exposurel. Also why is PSU, PITT and the Steelers even relevant here? You do realize that Pittsburgh is over 5 hours from Philly, and PSU over 3 hours? Very few people are passing up a game a Nova to attend a game at PSU or Pitt. Also nearly every FCS, and many FBS teams, operate in the red. It is only a money making endeavor for a small handfull of schools.

Nova is a relatively small private school, that is also a b-ball first school. The Philly area is crowded and people have many options- Temple also has poor football attendance. Actually most Urban school have pretty medicore attendance (Pitt, BC Northwestern). Nova doesn't have great attendance and probably never will, but they still get 5-10 per game. I don't think Nova football will be gone in 10 years.

Its not odd as it more of a justification for starting football in this environment.

Poor Economy overall
Declining college football interest the North East
A lot of Competition for at all levels of football
Little gain in terms of exposure

Its not just about making money as it is not being a gashing wound that just bleeds crap tons of money every year. Starting an FCS team and averaging sub 3000 fans for a declining market with a lot of competition for casual football fans just doesn't make sense. This isn't the 90's when you had a perfect environment to start a football team. If they wan't to start football for pride reasons then they should start a D2/D3 football team.

Also, being a small private school doesn't stop people from coming in seeing your games. The SoCon is loaded with private schools with pretty strong attendance. Wofford has less than 2000 students and still pulls a good crowd.

Franks Tanks
January 22nd, 2013, 12:02 PM
Its not odd as it more of a justification for starting football in this environment.

Poor Economy overall
Declining college football interest the North East
A lot of Competition for at all levels of football
Little gain in terms of exposure

Its not just about making money as it is not being a gashing wound that just bleeds crap tons of money every year. Starting an FCS team and averaging sub 3000 fans for a declining market with a lot of competition for casual football fans just doesn't make sense. This isn't the 90's when you had a perfect environment to start a football team. If they wan't to start football for pride reasons then they should start a D2/D3 football team.Also, being a small private school doesn't stop people from coming in seeing your games. The SoCon is loaded with private schools with pretty strong attendance. Wofford has less than 2000 students and still pulls a good crowd.

D-I schoosl cannot play football in lower divisions.

As for Nova they are just fine. Sure they would like better attendance, but they do pretty well for their market. In 2011 they averaged 8,782 for 6 home games, or just about the same as North Dakota (a team that we think of as having a strong following) and just a bit more than Wofford.

Also why were the 90's a perfect time to start football?

superman7515
January 22nd, 2013, 01:33 PM
If you made this same argument in the 90's, you would say that football was dying on the west coast and it was a terrible time to start a football team. Santa Barbara, Fullerton, Long Beach, Northridge, Pacific, Santa Clara... All shut down shop. The only school from the northeast that shut down was Boston. It had nothing to do with the college football climate of the nation.

Babar
January 23rd, 2013, 02:56 PM
If you made this same argument in the 90's, you would say that football was dying on the west coast and it was a terrible time to start a football team. Santa Barbara, Fullerton, Long Beach, Northridge, Pacific, Santa Clara... All shut down shop. The only school from the northeast that shut down was Boston. It had nothing to do with the college football climate of the nation.

Without taking a side in the great-time-to-start-a-team debate, I'll point out that the financial landscape is vastly different for both college and football now: rising high school cohorts plateaued or declining in size, entering college cohorts more economically and ethnically diverse, tuition and fee growth at levels many feel are unsustainable, state support for higher education declining, a long-term trend toward fewer in-person viewers, the NFL and FBS powerhouses more visible and electronically accessible to casual fans across the country than ever, and lawsuits against the NFL piling up.